Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
the stunning
06 Aug 12 14:24
| Topic/replies: 2,751 | Blogger: the stunning's blog
I see pp were offering 5/4 to win each round,seems value.Best of luck katie,the nation expects!!
Show More
Report wildmanfromborneo August 8, 2012 6:57 PM BST
To suggest Jimmy Magee doesn`t understand how boxing is scored is just wrong.
Report freddiek August 8, 2012 6:58 PM BST
of course. Sure he was probably commentating back in the 50s when Tony Byrne from drogheda won a bronze
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl August 8, 2012 7:02 PM BST
Toby you gave me a feerc fright there SadSad
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y August 8, 2012 7:03 PM BST
Back in the 50s would all homes have had televisions? Because if they didn't and he commentated as he does now they wouldn't have had a bloody clue what was going on in the event he was supposed to be commentating on as he babbles on about anything other that the event.

I'm shocked that some think his commentaries are even decent let alone good but sure each to their own
Report Ozymandius August 8, 2012 7:05 PM BST
To keep the old timers happy perhaps have Jimmy tell a few yarns beforehand or a bit of 'analysis' afterwards.  Zero point in having him describing the action as it happens.
Report workrider August 8, 2012 7:07 PM BST
paddywhacker , of course he'd be safe in his local , there are so many of him robo, booby , thegalwayman , slickster , bigwillystyle ....the locals are terrified of the lunatic.....Laugh
Report richters August 8, 2012 7:08 PM BST
i would say ozy would rather listen to the likes of terry wogan.....would suit you down to the ground ozy....
Report wildmanfromborneo August 8, 2012 7:08 PM BST
He is an all round sports expert with an in depth knowledge of nearly all sports.
I met his son at the races,he died of Motor Neurone disease think he may have played for Shamrock Rovers.
Report Ozymandius August 8, 2012 7:14 PM BST
Thank you Richters and congrats on your Olympic success to date. 

22 golds and counting.  Do you have any bunting out to mark the occasion?
Report tobywong. August 8, 2012 7:16 PM BST
http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10039274

after round 1 of nevins fight , jimmy gives the score 5 - 2 , he is told the score at the end of round 2 is 8-2 , jimmy says the dane didn't score in round 2 Laugh , now note the round scores at the end of the fight when nevin is given the decision , 5- 2 , 8-2 , 8-2 which equals 21-5 , that clear enough for you wildman ya fool Laugh
Report tobywong. August 8, 2012 7:17 PM BST
21-6 even , just your even confusing me now Laugh
Report richters August 8, 2012 7:20 PM BST
as i said on the cricket thread ozy well done to you and your fellow brits on your 22 gold medals....just when you mention it there is plenty of bunting up in the 6 counties for paddy barnes and michael conlon and all of the irish olympians.....
Report pa lapsy August 8, 2012 7:23 PM BST
Right an all too Richters,fair dues to ye.
Report wildmanfromborneo August 8, 2012 7:28 PM BST
Not clear at all,he did what you are afraid to do,gave his opinion.
Keep on thinking he doesn`t understand how the scoring works if you like.
Report Ozymandius August 8, 2012 7:28 PM BST
Bunting is such a British tradition Richters, but then I suppose......when in Rome, do as the Romans do...
Report tobywong. August 8, 2012 7:29 PM BST
my god, you are a thick one alright wildman Cool
Report richters August 8, 2012 7:31 PM BST
well you would know ozy u being british and all that....who am i to argue........
Report wildmanfromborneo August 8, 2012 7:33 PM BST
Tobywong makes a post criticising Jimmy Magee for not knowing how the scoring works,then puts up the scores of an earlier fight and adds them up wrong,he has to be related to Rocketfingers.
Report tobywong. August 8, 2012 7:34 PM BST
you are one old senile fool , you should join jimmy in the geriatrics ward Laugh
Report Ozymandius August 8, 2012 7:34 PM BST
Still, its lovely that you can fly your flag up there.  If I were to fly my colours down here I would be hoisted by my own petards.
Report richters August 8, 2012 7:40 PM BST
i wouldnt think that would be right ozy.....
Report Santry August 8, 2012 7:41 PM BST
RTE coverage of the boxing is just brilliant - the lads in the studio bring great insight and passion to what they are about-but Jimmy Magee is utterly pathetic . Long past the time he was retired and a younger person given the task .
Report wildmanfromborneo August 8, 2012 7:42 PM BST
Tobywong i presume you made that mistake deliberately to get on the right side of me,i like the yellow bellies but name dropping renegades that move to Wicklow Town and have sinecures that we are paying for,not for me.
Report Ozymandius August 8, 2012 7:46 PM BST
oh yes, we have to keep our heads well below the parapet.
Report richters August 8, 2012 7:49 PM BST
until july when yis all converge in glasnowlough....lol....
Report richters August 8, 2012 7:49 PM BST
Rossnowlough......
Report tobywong. August 8, 2012 7:52 PM BST
ah don't worry wildman , i'll donate a few quid to the dark rosaleen transformation you so dearly crave , maybe a few quid extra for your medication aswell !!
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl August 8, 2012 7:52 PM BST
Now that was a poor effort at commentating , got his wire/s badly crossed and I have to ask where's jimmy, he'd know all those 1500metre girls by their pet names......Wink
Report Ozymandius August 8, 2012 7:55 PM BST
Oh no, I wouldn't be into all that Orange sectarian nonsense.
Report richters August 8, 2012 8:01 PM BST
im only messing ozy.....GET ON Dettori here at kempton
Report wildmanfromborneo August 8, 2012 8:06 PM BST
Donate it to her son Man Of Erin.
Report wildmanfromborneo August 8, 2012 9:11 PM BST
Jimmy Magee gave a brilliant commentary there in the Barnes fight,got the scoring right also.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl August 8, 2012 9:13 PM BST
Well done paddy barnes and that was some call by jimmy magee.Great fight great commentary and another medal for our lads....... just brilliant....... well done all
Report ilikewavingatbuses August 9, 2012 1:13 AM BST
good aul Jimmy!

anyone catch this one today...

"She's on sat-nav now..."  auto-pilot James, auto pilot.Laugh
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl August 9, 2012 8:52 AM BST
I think Jimmy meant what he said,in that she was hitting/finding the target so regular and often that his comment, "sat-nav", was much more appropriate in the circumstances, and Jimmy would know that Katie T does not do auto,as everything about her is so focussed, and of course planned and thought out to the last degree
Report frank60 August 9, 2012 10:06 AM BST
HOPE SHE HAD A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP.Happy
Report BJG August 9, 2012 11:21 AM BST
Ochigava accuses judges of bias towards Taylor

Katie Taylor’s opponent in the Olympic final Sofya Ochigava has accused Team Ireland of bribery and said the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) and judges are biased in favour of the Bray woman.

Following her defeat of Brazil’s Adriana Araujo in the semi-finals Ochigava said that Taylor receives an unfair advantage when she fights.

“I’m sure Taylor will come out swinging. She knows the opponent’s score has been present to minus 10. AIBA’s goal is to give her gold,” the Russian was reported as saying by Associated Press.

“AIBA, they want to make her a superstar, but when a boxer goes in the ring, it’s not important if she is world champ or not world champ,” Ochigava said. “Everyone here is a world champ. There are 11 people here. They’re all world champs. It’s not important. If you have a face, they must push the button.”

“When you go boxing against Katie Taylor, you’re not boxing with her. You’re boxing with all judges around the table, and it’s difficult boxing against all the system, but I will try like all other girls.”

“In all situations, they will try to give her too much points,” Ochigava said. “I know this.”

In quotes translated by the Russian paper Sport-Express’ foreign correspondent Slava Malamud on Twitter, Ochigava said that even if she outfought Taylor in the final she would not receive a fair score.

“Key to victory is to land more punches and then file an appeal,” she said before accusing the Irish team of bribery.

“Ireland is in a financial crisis because they’ve spent all their money on Taylor’s referees.”

Ochigava didn’t give any specific examples of biased refereeing but said Taylor’s first Olympic fight against the Briton Natasha Jonas was scored incorrectly, though Jonas said after the fight that Taylor was the deserved victor.

“Personally I thought Natasha Jonas beat her in rounds 1 and 2,” Ochigava said before playing down Taylor’s skill.

“She wets herself against some boxers, but those she doesn’t respect, she comes out swinging with those 7-punch combos.”

Ochigava has been regarded as taylor’s main threat since ending her three yer undefeated streak back in 2010 in a controversial fight which saw the judges score only one point for Taylor against the Russian’s eight.

Much was made of the judge’s scoring in the press but that seemed to be put to bed when the two met again in 2011 and again earlier this year with Taylor coming out on top by 10-5 and 11-7.

Taylor has spoken of her respect for the Russian in the past calling her a “brilliant” fighter and said that the recent close contests between them show the strength of women’s boxing.
Report Ozymandius August 9, 2012 11:33 AM BST
Now it's friggin personal. Batter her Katie, batter her.
Report maxheadroom August 9, 2012 11:41 AM BST
video of the last time they met very little to chose between them. odds  are sooo wrong http://www.joe.ie/london-2012/olympics-news/video-what-happened-the-last-tim...
Report mrtopnotch August 9, 2012 11:43 AM BST
I agree it'll be a very close fight , fingers crossed.
Report freddiek August 9, 2012 11:50 AM BST
sad to see trash-talkin in womens boxing at the olympics, thought that was more the ego-driven sprinters thing. anyway, more motivation for katie i guess
Report Vubiant August 9, 2012 1:18 PM BST
Par for the coarse imo.Laugh
Report kiddo112 August 9, 2012 2:00 PM BST
Anyone else have a pop at the middle on the handicap for today.

Lads -5.5 @5/6
Spoils +7.5 @5/6

6-7 pt win pays 9.76/1. Worth a small interest at the price I reckon
Report Roger De Bris August 9, 2012 2:14 PM BST
what time the fight start? cheers.
Report the stunning August 9, 2012 2:17 PM BST

Would be on the russian +7.5 to be fair.They say it will be cagey stuff.Lets batter that trash talking bitch katieCool.
Report Roger De Bris August 9, 2012 2:23 PM BST
tnx the stunning. Go on the KT.
Report ilikewavingatbuses August 9, 2012 2:28 PM BST
“Ireland is in a financial crisis because they’ve spent all their money on Taylor’s referees.”

Laugh
Report ilikewavingatbuses August 9, 2012 2:30 PM BST
I've seen better bait on the football forum!
Report kingrat August 9, 2012 2:32 PM BST
the russian has lost it,she is already preparing herself for defeat
Report the stunning August 9, 2012 2:32 PM BST
Don't need to go to the footy fourmLaugh
Report Arklearkle August 9, 2012 2:48 PM BST
Russian getting her excuses in early. Believes she's a loser already.
Report kiddo112 August 9, 2012 3:56 PM BST
Powers special on screens, 7/4 Katie to win by 10pts or more.

5/1 in Ladcrooks
Report Irish_Celtic August 9, 2012 4:14 PM BST
The Russian beat Katie in the Czech Rep by a very dodgy decision.All that vodka gone to her head ?
Report punchestown August 9, 2012 4:18 PM BST
Getting the superstar treatment now on the BBC.
Report mrtopnotch August 9, 2012 4:24 PM BST
I am worried Scared
Report Ozymandius August 9, 2012 4:31 PM BST
Lovely to see the Irish fans supporting the British fighter.
Report ilikewavingatbuses August 9, 2012 4:40 PM BST
^Laugh
Report Ozymandius August 9, 2012 4:47 PM BST
Davina McCall MC
Report Wallflower August 9, 2012 4:49 PM BST
CryCryCry God, I hate fackin'  "ole, ole, ole"  makes me cringe.
Report Dan Chipowski August 9, 2012 4:54 PM BST
Not going well at all here, looks anxious. Sad
Report Dan Chipowski August 9, 2012 4:54 PM BST
Not going well at all here, looks anxious. Sad
Report the stunning August 9, 2012 4:55 PM BST
Not going to plan..come on katie!!
Report the stunning August 9, 2012 4:56 PM BST
Ban that ole sh!t..fields of athenry please..looking better.
Report the stunning August 9, 2012 5:01 PM BST
GOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDD!!!
Report Dan Chipowski August 9, 2012 5:01 PM BST
I think she won that narrowly. Too close for comfort though. Plain
Report pa lapsy August 9, 2012 5:01 PM BST
The russian blanked her at the end,hope she gets it.
Report ilikewavingatbuses August 9, 2012 5:01 PM BST
TAYLOR by 2.
Report pa lapsy August 9, 2012 5:02 PM BST
WELL DONE KATIE Love
Report freddiek August 9, 2012 5:02 PM BST
Excited
Report Kelly August 9, 2012 5:04 PM BST
Well done Katie .
Report bobbybocala August 9, 2012 5:06 PM BST
hometown decision......the russian was right.....she didnt stand a chance in london.....she knocked seven kinds of shiit out of her in the last round.....and they gave it a drawn round.....even floored her at one stage....what a stupid fukking sport anyway.....girls scrapping......
Report Dan Chipowski August 9, 2012 5:06 PM BST
Well done Katie. GrinGrinGrinGrinLove

So much pressure on her there and you could tell it affected her early in the fight. Third round was crucial!
Report the stunning August 9, 2012 5:06 PM BST
Mad scenes in brayCool..brilliant!
Report vinnie_roe August 9, 2012 5:07 PM BST
The odds were ridiculous for that fight. The russian is an excellent defensive counter-puncher. I'm so glad she won though.
Report Ozymandius August 9, 2012 5:08 PM BST
They need to put them in some sort of skimpy gear, like the beachvolley ball girls.  Otherwise there really is no appeal to watching girls fight.
Report pa lapsy August 9, 2012 5:13 PM BST
She had the Tricolour over her head in the end,that looked nice enough ozy.
Report ilikewavingatbuses August 9, 2012 5:16 PM BST
bobby frothing at the mouth

Laugh

wd katie, well done IRELAND!Wink
Report Ozymandius August 9, 2012 5:16 PM BST
Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Pa Lapsy?  The tricolour thong?  There could be controversy though about which way around she would wear it!
Report Giant Strides August 9, 2012 5:22 PM BST
Good on ya girl! Grin
Report dlarssonf August 9, 2012 5:24 PM BST
LoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLove
Report richters August 9, 2012 5:25 PM BST
ole ole ole ole ole....oleole....ozy ozy ozy OI OI OI.........
Report Ozymandius August 9, 2012 5:31 PM BST
Stand by for the anthem, Richters.  I will understand if you don't know the words!
Report kavvie August 9, 2012 5:39 PM BST
best moment of the games so far....she beat a brilliant russian fighter.
Report Anaglogs Daughter August 9, 2012 5:48 PM BST
Oscar De La Hoya‏@OscarDeLaHoya

Katie Taylor congratulations on winning gold. You are amazing
Report Ozymandius August 9, 2012 5:54 PM BST
Oscar wouldn't mind getting a rematch on in Vegas.
Report Anaglogs Daughter August 9, 2012 6:09 PM BST
Evander Holyfield‏@holyfield

It’s gold for the Fighting Irish!! Katie Taylor wins gold for Ireland!
Report reb August 9, 2012 6:39 PM BST
Josef Stalin ! Rasputin ! Yuri Gagarin ! Anastasia ! Mikhail Gorbachev ! Anna Kournikova ! Vladimir Putin, CAN YOU HEAR ME VLADIMIR PUTIN ! Your girl..................
Report bobbybocala August 9, 2012 6:58 PM BST
there will be some crowd at the born again christian thing a ma jig next sunday in Bray.....hopefully john joe will bring home the gold now as well.....it would be some boost for.....ballinasloe horsefair......if he paraded with the medal.....that is unless it hasnt been melted down already......
Report kingrat August 9, 2012 7:07 PM BST
ah bobby stop beating it,yre a fcking childGrinwell done katie,u cant beat class,i will raise a glass to ya after i collect my winningsLaugh
Report bobbybocala August 9, 2012 7:26 PM BST
kingrat.....when it comes to womens boxing......there would be a scarcity of class.....as for your imaginary winnings......dont spend them foolishly....
Report kingrat August 9, 2012 7:32 PM BST
what are u having?Laugh
Report The Bhoys August 9, 2012 7:45 PM BST
amazing achievement but not nice viewing thaught she was beat
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl August 9, 2012 7:52 PM BST
Agree there with Dan Chipowski, Katie got the job done in the 3rd round.......brilliant, and the Bhoys in the RTE studio were very good also, Mick Dowling is a legend as are Bernard Dunne and Egan. Also Jimmy Magee was sound.
Report paddletoe August 9, 2012 7:53 PM BST
Thought the Russian took the last round so i was a bit worried with a minute to go.

On the other hand Katie looked like she won the first round but ended behind on the scorecard. She connected with a few great combinations throughout the fight but seemed to only get one point for them as the judges fingers were not as quick as Katies fists.

Does not seem fair when one fighter can land with a three shot combination at lightning speed and the judges cant keep up with their scores. The other boxer lands one in reply and its an even contest on the scoresheet.
Report mightymoyes August 9, 2012 8:00 PM BST
thats amateur boxing unfortunately.
something that gimp bobbybacala seems to know feck all about!
Report bobbybocala August 9, 2012 8:04 PM BST
fair play to the girl......think its a crapp sport.....but each to their own.....she comes across as a nice enough sort.....one final thing though.....dowling comes over as inoffensive....Egan and Dunne are prize knobbs.....most definitely not legends.....
Report kingrat August 9, 2012 8:28 PM BST
and u are a legend bobbyLaugh
Report ilikewavingatbuses August 9, 2012 8:28 PM BST
russian was strong in thr last round but i rewatched it since and katie landed as many shots, it was the slip and when she got caught once that made it look worse than it was but it was just a point, watch it again, katie landed a lot of shots herself!

well deserved winner!
Report silvergreaser August 9, 2012 8:31 PM BST
Dowling is sound, objective and fair with his assessments, Egan and Dunne I can stomach, talking of prize knobbs that Magee would tip the richter scale, his commentaries are so one sided it becomes almost unbareable at times.
Of course you expect a bit of bias but Magee takes the proverbial biscuit, and I'm not just talking about Katies fight, I don't think he realises there is actually an opponent in the ring with the Irish boxers, its like he reads everything from a pre-prepared script?.

And yes we could've done without that OLE,OLE,OLE,OLE...makes me cringe everytime I hear it, makes you pine for another rendition of the Famine song.
Report kingrat August 9, 2012 8:39 PM BST
champioles!champioles! hows does that grab u sil?how do u like them apples?Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com