Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Rocketfingers
29 Jul 12 21:10
| Topic/replies: 29,477 | Blogger: Rocketfingers's blog
Amazed to see some of the people there who are supporting them. That's all i'm going to say on the matter, seems to be a huge difference among the different classes in relation to this.

https://twitter.com/NewsonNS/status/229647744426450945/photo/1/large
Pause Switch to Standard View The Quinn Family rally
Show More
Report Rocketfingers October 2, 2012 9:56 PM BST
Gant any clue who that is? I missed that.
Report GANT007 October 2, 2012 9:59 PM BST
The solicitor Michael Lynn.
Report kingrat October 2, 2012 10:00 PM BST
gant,yre a gombeen, i dont think law is for uWink
Report richters October 2, 2012 10:01 PM BST
what ye think of that rocket?ye hafnt commented on the ahern character either.....very selective memory people on here......
Report GANT007 October 2, 2012 10:03 PM BST
Spot on kingrat. Could not accept money for telling lies.
Report GANT007 October 2, 2012 10:05 PM BST
Richters.......If Sean Quinn was like Gerry Gannon rocketfingers would have a different take on it.
Report kingrat October 2, 2012 10:05 PM BST
ahern was the best politician of his generation.....fact! old bean
Report Rocketfingers October 2, 2012 10:08 PM BST
No i don't gant throw the book at Gannon, but we should not not start with Quinn, he's the biggest get him as people thought of him as untouchable and then the others to follow.
Report richters October 2, 2012 10:09 PM BST
he wudnt know who gerry gannon is gant....he just goes with the flow on here...he is a clueless guesser......
Report GANT007 October 2, 2012 10:11 PM BST
Is quinn the biggest?
Report Rocketfingers October 2, 2012 10:14 PM BST
yap, poor ritchers gant knows i know who Gannon is Wink

Richters if you had a brain you'd be dangerous.
Report Rocketfingers October 4, 2012 9:15 PM BST
Sean Quinn junior in more trouble according to the RTE news, throw the book at him boys.
Report lustrumm October 5, 2012 9:35 PM BST
What I don't get is that people discuss them in the same terms as all the other bankrupts and wonder why these guys are being victimised. What people forget is the figures involved with these people. We are talking Billions not millions as far as the Quinns are concerned.
Report richters October 7, 2012 8:54 PM BST
johnny ronan sells a pub to his sister for 10k under the noses of nama......the silence from the bigots on here is deafening......
Report Rocketfingers October 7, 2012 9:02 PM BST
Go away you're from Down you bigot. They owe the tax payers in this country, not your subsidised behind ritchers you ring wing simpleton.
Report richters October 7, 2012 9:18 PM BST
another moronic post from the imbecile that is the ballymun native rocket/sligored/waltermitty/billytheliar/birdodonnell
Report wildmanfromborneo October 7, 2012 9:22 PM BST
Richters is as Irish as you are Rocketfingers,find your partitionist attitude disappointing but not surprising
Report richters October 7, 2012 9:25 PM BST
he doesnt know any better wmfb......his alter ego sligored will be loggin on now shortly to deny that he is walter mitty.....
Report Rocketfingers October 7, 2012 9:26 PM BST
Very original, you have to look up Wildman's pots to an insult. I'd be amazed if you were able to think of one yourelf, you're not able to say what's even wrong my post. This is our country not yours, youre not being asked to pay for his gambling !
Report richters October 7, 2012 9:29 PM BST
are you not going to deny your alter ego then......for your information bird i pay my taxes in the 26 counties......
Report wildmanfromborneo October 7, 2012 9:30 PM BST
Whatever about Richters not paying for it,you definitely aren't going to pay as you are either on a disability payment or the dole,like the Ahern loving Kingrat.
Report richters October 7, 2012 9:32 PM BST
ye took the words outa my mouth wmfb......
Report Rocketfingers October 7, 2012 9:54 PM BST
Hmmmm a man who claims to be living in the north but paying his taxes in the south Laugh

I'm sorry richters but your stupidity knows no equals. Again "You took the words out of my mouth" Laugh

As for Wildman coming in with a dry dig, you're probably one of these fools who got himself into trouble in the building game, a game that takes no brain to make a few bob at which you probably did, just about.
Report richters October 7, 2012 10:01 PM BST
you dont seem to be denying wildmans allegations that you are in receipt of disability allowance.....and living at home with your parents.....getting back to the point....will johnny ronan be jailed for defrauding taxpayers like myself out of the couple of hundred thousand pound on this deal on his former restaraunt under the nose of nama iyo.....
Report Rocketfingers October 7, 2012 10:23 PM BST
This is not of any concern of yours as you're not from this state richters.
Report richters October 7, 2012 10:25 PM BST
you are an IMBECILE and everyone on this forum knows it....NAP
Report Anaglogs Daughter October 10, 2012 4:28 PM BST
The Supreme Court has reserved judgment in an appeal by Seán Quinn Jnr against his conviction and imprisonment for contempt of court
Report richters October 11, 2012 9:32 PM BST
PRIMETIME NOW RTE 1
Report Rocketfingers October 11, 2012 9:37 PM BST
Here come the clowns
Report richters October 11, 2012 9:42 PM BST
no bigger clown than yourself bird......
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby October 11, 2012 9:52 PM BST
Party political broadcast on behalf of the Quinn family

NAUSEATING is not the word for these cretins
Report Rocketfingers October 11, 2012 9:54 PM BST
Quinns sending out the women now Laugh

haha hilarious stuff, comedy gold on RTE.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby October 11, 2012 9:54 PM BST
What a **** Miriam is......
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby October 11, 2012 9:54 PM BST
Desperate stuff alright bringing mother goose out
Report Rocketfingers October 11, 2012 10:00 PM BST
Signed for the loans but did not know what they were signing, god almighty more fool them. Please don't insult the nation's intelligence you bumpkins !
Report reb October 11, 2012 10:01 PM BST
Miriam Meets moves from Radio to TV.
Report Rocketfingers October 11, 2012 10:04 PM BST
She had a shocker
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl October 11, 2012 10:26 PM BST
Seems to be alot more to this than many of you understand.
On a lighter note Claire is absolutely gorgeous, and where did she come from ?
Report richters October 11, 2012 10:30 PM BST
TOES and FINGERS.......paddleTOES and rocketFINGERS seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet on this thread.....lets get the quinns first and the rest later.......or maybe paddleTOES is another one of rocketFingers alter egos......
Report richters October 11, 2012 10:43 PM BST
they also share a mutual hatred of sinn fein........
Report Rocketfingers October 11, 2012 11:08 PM BST
The Quinns seen the easy money, sure they never even bothered reading the loan agreements for these vast amounts of money. We should have no sympathy for these  gambling aristocrats with their 100 million wedding cakes. Royalty would not even have cakes costing that much. If they don't get the Quinn's then maybe we should stop paying the money we owe the banks.
Report Rocketfingers October 11, 2012 11:08 PM BST
The Quinns seen the easy money, sure they never even bothered reading the loan agreements for these vast amounts of money. We should have no sympathy for these  gambling aristocrats with their 100 million wedding cakes. Royalty would not even have cakes costing that much. If they don't get the Quinn's then maybe we should stop paying the money we owe the banks.
Report GANT007 October 12, 2012 8:30 AM BST
A group of cretins owing 2.7 billion was wound up this week and the media blamed tough economic times...........The anglo boys who gave the loans will probably get time before the Quinns......3 of them in court this week..........an awful mess.
Rocketfingers.......Lots of people had lavish tastes in this country during the so called boom.
Report wildmanfromborneo October 12, 2012 1:21 PM BST
Paddletoe is not Rocketfingers,whilst I disagree with him on this issue his points are legitimate and well made something you could never say about Rocketfingers,there are no childish words in paddletoes post and judging by some of his other posts of a different species to the dull bucolic Rocketfingers
Report reb October 12, 2012 1:31 PM BST
Let's just hope that the German players weren't watching Prime Time last night.
Report reb October 12, 2012 1:59 PM BST
On second thoughts, if they were watching, it might have a seriously detrimental effect on their composure this evening :

Any chance Niall Quinn could come out of retirement ? 

"Gott in Himmel, QUINNLANDER !!"
Report richters October 14, 2012 9:06 PM BST
great turnout in ballyconnell 2day.....good to see........
Report dj876 October 14, 2012 9:11 PM BST
Why?A man loses his stones on a cfd trade,pleads ignorance and lets his son rot in jail.
Hail modest king Sean because he plays poker for 50 pence?
Report irish_guy_13 October 14, 2012 9:33 PM BST
richters must be taking the piss, he does come accross as that  big an eegit.
Report richters October 14, 2012 9:39 PM BST
no im fkn deadly serious........the family completely screwed over by anglo and the press are very selective on what they are tellin the public.....
Report timberman October 14, 2012 9:44 PM BST
IMpressive crowd today
Report montablo October 14, 2012 9:50 PM BST
Nothing more than glorified gamblers, worked hard to build their empire whatever way you look at it but then took their eye off the ball, greed proved to be their achilles heel and then they chased like everyone else. Now they should take their punishment instead of fobbing it off on the Irish taxpayer
Report wildmanfromborneo October 14, 2012 9:59 PM BST
What sticks in the craw of some of us is the real villains Anglo Irish Bank having gone bust are now in control of all the Quinn profitable businesses.
I get the outrage and don't think the Quinns are saints but the problem was caused by the ludicrous bank guarantee given by Brian Cowan,this means that we now own Anglo Irish but that doesn't absolve them of their crimes and seeing them in the role of prosecutors is grating.
Report GANT007 October 14, 2012 10:07 PM BST
If the Quinn family screamed the magic word at the start they would still be living the good life........NAMA.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl October 14, 2012 10:30 PM BST
Wildman, I would agree there with most of your post
Gant, you maybe right but listening to Eamonn Dunphy on RTE1 radio today he said Nama is a scam, and "there is loadza evidence to show this", and with a Government Junior Minister (for creatons) on the panel this seemed to be acepted by all, including the chairperson Marian F.
I wonder what is Alan Dukes doing now, whats his role ?. He has a huge salary with the busted bank, formerly Anglo, and has a number of pensions. Yet we never hear a word from him, and its the taxpayer thats paying him, both his salary and pensions.I can remember him as Minister for Finance, and on budget night he was on what was then Seven Days, with Brian Farrell, and others and he,Dukes sat at a round table and said that after his budget today the PAYE worker is ONE POUND better off at the end of the week. That was his opinion of the taxpayer in those days. Has that opinion changed ? Hardly.
Report richters October 14, 2012 10:37 PM BST
jay u r not allowed to mention things like that or people like dukes on here......this is a state witchhunt against the quinns and dont 4get that.....the truth will come out in this saga and the quinns are quite confident that it will.......dont get me wrong the quinn group got greedy but there is more to this than the dublin press would lead the sheep to believe......
Report timberman October 14, 2012 10:40 PM BST
Irish Travellers are costing the state approx 1 Billion a year in social welfare benefits etc ...this will rise to  2 Billion a year over the coming 7/8 years due to Travellers high birth/welfare rates....THe travellers over the next 20 years will make Anglo Small beer!!
Report wildmanfromborneo October 14, 2012 10:42 PM BST
Alan Dukes laden down with pensions when asked about the pay rates in Anglo Irish stated it was no ones business but his,he seems to think it is his personal bank.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl October 15, 2012 9:59 AM BST
Sorry there richters, didn't mean to cause any ripple Wink
Report Anaglogs Daughter October 24, 2012 1:42 PM BST
High Court issues details of Seán Quinn Jnr judgment

rte.ie
Wednesday, 24 October 2012

The Supreme Court has issued its detailed judgment outlining the reasons behind its dismissal last week of Seán Quinn Junior's appeal against his three-month sentence for contempt of court.

Seán Quinn Jnr was released from custody last Friday when his three-month sentence ended

In a four to one majority ruling, the court found there was "ample evidence" before the High Court to make the finding beyond a reasonable doubt that he was party to a $500,000 payment from a Quinn company.

The Supreme Court also ruled the High Court was entitled to conclude the contempt was outrageous.

Mr Quinn Jnr was knowingly engaged in the patently unlawful activity of interfering with the secured assets of the Quinn group of companies for the purpose of defeating IBRC's claim, the court found.

The court said the sentence of three months was "amply justified".

However, the court also found that the imposition of an indefinite sentence on foot of coercive orders could not stand due to procedural defects.

The court found the procedures followed by the bank in relation to other allegations of contempt of court were not properly followed.

A person whose imprisonment is to be sought must be given clear, adequate and fair notice or the order he is alleged to have infringed and this was not done, the court found.

In his dissenting judgment, Mr Justice Adrian Hardiman said he would have allowed the entire appeal by Mr Quinn Jnr.

Mr Justice Hardiman found the proceedings in the High Court were "a summary criminal trial" and the case against him was "entirely circumstantial".

He said only two specific findings of fact were made in relation to Mr Quinn Jnr - that he travelled to Kiev in August 2011 and that he attended a meeting with the woman to whom the payment was later made.

He said in the absence of any action by Mr Quinn Jnr, the bank fell back on a more general allegation that he was involved in a conspiracy or involved in an overall strategy.

He said: "It is simply not permissible to bring a citizen before a court with the object of having him locked up on one charge only and then to fall back on the proposition that there is evidence of a more general nature that he was up to no good or involved in an overall strategy..."

The High Court judgment made no attempt to distinguish the evidence against him from the evidence against the others, resulting in "an omnibus finding", the judge said.

This was "wrong, inadmissible and grossly prejudicial to Mr Quinn Junior".

Mr Justice Hardiman also said the "practical approach" taken by the High Court to jail Mr Quinn Jnr to encourage his father to purge his contempt was not a legally recognised basis of a just sentence.

Seán Quinn Jnr was released from custody last Friday when his three-month sentence ended.

He and his father are due back before the High Court next Thursday.
Report mrcombustible October 24, 2012 1:56 PM BST
Hardiman has got where he is today through FF.
Report Kelly October 24, 2012 9:48 PM BST
Not surpisingly the powers that be make up their own rules as they go along . Thats the way I interpret Mr Justice Hardmans comments above . When people are used effectively as bargaining chips ( even if they are guilty - probably but not proven- ) its time to have a long  dispassionate look at who is involved , what they implied in their dealings  , how much underhand encouragement was applied , and where does the blame lie squarely . I have no doubt that some of the Quinn family actions were wrong , might be harder to prove now reference Mr Justice Hardmans words above , but I have been saying consistently for ages that there was more skulduggery abroad than could be laid at the Quinns door .

Governments cant pick and choose who they want to pursue and punish , they have to be even handed , even to the extent of exposing any  of their own officials if they have sinned against the common good . Too bad if it proves costly to the State , and I am mindful also of what was largely involved in digging the hole bigger than it might have needed to be and those involved .
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 2, 2012 11:12 AM GMT
11am Irish Examiner: Full house in Court 6 for Sean Quinn ruling. Judge has just begun her ruling.
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 2, 2012 11:13 AM GMT
Irish Examiner‏@irishexaminer

Judge says ruling will deal with past non compliance with a High Court order by Sean Quinn
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 2, 2012 11:23 AM GMT
Judge sends Sean Quinn to jail for 9 weeks for serious contempt
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 2, 2012 11:26 AM GMT
court may grant a stay pending appeal to Supreme Court next week
Report Vubiant November 2, 2012 11:31 AM GMT
When will Cavan secede ?
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 2, 2012 1:06 PM GMT
You know what this means.."C'mon lads and lassies let's have another protest march"
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 2, 2012 1:23 PM GMT
He want's to start his sentence today Shocked What's he up too? Mischief
Report reb November 2, 2012 1:25 PM GMT
Friday is poker-night in Mountjoy.
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 2, 2012 2:19 PM GMT
Quinn 'has only himself to blame' as he begins nine-week jail term

http://www.breakingnews.ie

Ex-billionaire tycoon Sean Quinn has only himself to blame for a nine-week jail sentence over his role in an multimillion-euro asset-stripping plot, a High Court judge declared today.

The bankrupt businessman opted to go straight to prison for his “outrageous” contempt and for failing to untangle a scheme that put the family’s €500m international property empire beyond the reach of the former Anglo Irish Bank.

The 66-year-old, who could have remained free until his Supreme Court appeal, was flanked by supporters in the High Court in Dublin, which was packed with barristers, onlookers and media.

Ms Justice Elizabeth Dunne told Quinn he had committed a serious contempt of court which had been nothing short of outrageous, he had been evasive and uncooperative during the hearing, and his evidence was not credible.

The judge acknowledged the proceedings had negatively consumed his and his family’s life.

“In my view, he has only himself to blame,” she added.

The resigned-looking former cement, insurance and property tycoon cried as he held a crumpled tissue in his hand, looking straight ahead with his bloodshot eyes.

Barristers for Quinn, who will be freed on January 4, appealed for compassionate leave to attend a granddaughter’s christening on December 22 – but the judge said that was a decision for the Prison Service.

Quinn Snr owes Anglo €2.8bn after running up unprecedented losses through secret stock investments in the bank as its share price collapsed.

The family admit they owe just €455m but have refused the claims on the rest and have taken a counter-case again the bank, rebranded the IBRC (Irish Bank Resolution Corporation), over a loans deal.

Breaking court rules, Quinn took the unprecedented step of making a dramatic statement at the back of the court to journalists before a Garda finally moved in and took him away.

He called for investigations into why a receiver was ever appointed to his beloved Quinn Group, which he built from scratch from a IR£100 loan, and apologised to the Irish public for shifting assets and not taking the legal route against the bailed-out lender.

“We didn’t do it well, we made lots of mistakes,” he said.

“If you’re saying to me: ’Are we white? am I white?’, absolutely no way.

“For 64 of my 66 years I made very little mistakes. I ran my business very very well.

“Did I make mistakes in the last two years? Did my family make mistakes in the last two years? Yes, I did.

“Do I apologise here now in public for that? Yes, I do.

“Is it small fry compared to the overall assault that has been launched on us and taking over our companies and destroying them? It’s an absolute disaster.”

The contempt centres on a High Court order made in June and July 2011 which told Quinn, his son, Sean Quinn Junior, and nephew, Peter Darragh Quinn, not to act to put assets in their international property group (IPG) beyond the reach of the former Anglo.

Quinn Jnr was freed from Mountjoy Prison’s training unit two weeks ago after serving three months for one count of contempt.

His cousin Peter – son of former GAA president Peter Quinn – remains at large since a similar sentence was imposed in July, but both father and son could face jail again if they continue to defy court orders.

Judge Dunne said Quinn Snr gave his backing to the scheme and found him guilty of breaching court orders in that he deliberately backdated his signature on documents to before the court orders were made, and that was involved in the “Puga payment” of $500,000 to an employee in the Ukraine.

She again rejected his evidence that he played no hand, act or part in the scheme, which the family have admitted they cannot untangle.

Judge Dunne also noted there was a “degree of contradiction” in Quinn’s stance that he still did not accept that he was in contempt of court, but had indicated he was attempting to and committed to purging it.

“There is no doubt that the bank has had to engage in extensive litigation in multiple jurisdictions in its efforts to recover the assets,” she continued.

“Unfortunately, the overall position is that, despite the efforts of the bank to date, that have not succeeded.”

Judge Dunne said she was taking into account Quinn’s bad health, his good character before this case, how his enterprise became the one of the largest in the country, his close links with the GAA and his charity work, but warned that his contempt involved serious conduct and mandated a term of imprisonment.

“It is important to ensure that orders of the court are complied with and that the integrity of the court system is not set at naught by an egregious breach of a court order.”

In her original ruling on the contempt, Judge Dunne said the three Quinn men consciously defied and misled the courts as they shifted family assets as far afield as Ukraine, Russia and Belize and put the punitive element of Quinn Snr’s sentencing for contempt was on hold to see what measures he takes to recover assets.

Barristers for Quinn yesterday claimed he was committed to purging his contempt and made an “impassioned plea” for him to remain a free man given his serious health conditions and his attempts to assist the bank.

But IBRC told the judge that Quinn had not reversed the asset-stripping scheme he sanctioned, and that the bank has continued to encounter fraudulent activity and delays orchestrated by the family to prevent the recovering of assets in Russia, Ukraine and India.

IBRC will also tell the judge next week if it wants Quinn Jnr to take any further steps to reverse the asset-stripping scheme.
Report Vubiant November 2, 2012 2:23 PM GMT
No surprise at all this guy would play the prison / martyr card....that will go down a treat in border bogland.
Report vantastic54 November 2, 2012 2:24 PM GMT
Amazing all this carry on to give somebody 9 weeks in jail.Guilty of contempt send to jail do not release until money recovered.The quinns will never accept the reality of the situation.A failed gambler in all but name.
Report Arklearkle November 2, 2012 4:34 PM GMT
In a way one has to feel sorry for Sean senior. But they are just "thicking" it out - imagine a martyr in prison for Christmas. Meanwhile the tax-payer is left to pay. They should be left there until they reverse what they have done.
Report thegalwayman November 2, 2012 4:59 PM GMT
How on earth could anyone feel sorry for him? I feel sorry for the people he previously employed who are now out of work, but it was his outrageous punting that landed them in that mess.
Report den perry November 2, 2012 10:29 PM GMT
Bring back hanging
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl November 4, 2012 10:52 PM GMT
Now I just can't understand this at all. The Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, formerly Anglo Irish Bank, is bringing in the Fraud Squad to look, I presume. at what the Quinn family are supposed to have done. If my recollection is right wasn't the Fraud Squad supposed to be investigating Anglo before it was re-named by the great Alan "super" Dukes. Didn't the authorities seize evidence including Pc's from that bank, very early after it going bust.How the hell can they be in a position to call in the Fraud Squad, now.This is beyond belief.
I believe that if there is evidence of wrong doing here by any of the parties, it should be an organ of the State i.e the DPP's office, or the AG's office, that should be doing the investigating, on behalf of the Irish people, and not the bankers who have huge salaries, and plenty questions to answer themselves.
Report kingrat November 5, 2012 6:21 PM GMT
"get my pack of cards"........u have got to admire this geezer,hes done his bollix in 1 unmerciful gamble and yet he remains positive....get a card school going in mountjoy and the 9 weeks will fly byLaugh
Report Rocketfingers November 5, 2012 9:01 PM GMT
I was delighted when i found out this guy was going to the clink i have to admit, will richters march on Dublin now demanding their leaders release?
Report mightymoyes November 5, 2012 9:31 PM GMT
kingrat he may hope he isnt gambling with credit in there or he'll be leaving with no knee-caps.
Report kingrat November 5, 2012 9:42 PM GMT
nobody will go near quinn in there .....hes 1 of the boys
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl November 7, 2012 11:36 PM GMT
I hope all the do-gooders posting on here, who may think that the former Anglo is pursuing the Quinn family on behalf of the Irish people, will now now have a re-think, following the news that as many as 5 staff at this busted bank have received salaries of upto half a million euro per head, for a years pay. Absolutely disgraceful. Sean Quinn was correct when he said that the media should look into this Anglo crowd a bit more.
I thought that the Irish Government put Alan "super" Dukes in there as a minder for the government and the people. Some minder. He should resign, immediately. Its just disgraceful how he let this happen, but of course he has become one of the banker boys, and to hell with the costs to the taxpayer.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 8, 2012 12:16 AM GMT
When Alan Dukes was asked about salaries at Anglo some time back he told the government to mind their own business,we now know why.
Rather than drawing down these ludicrous salaries they should be working for nothing as an act of atonement.
The other bankers who have these massive pensions should be charged with treason for misrepresenting their position to get the infamous guarantee.
Report Ozymandius November 8, 2012 8:46 AM GMT
as many as 5 staff at this busted bank have received salaries of upto half a million euro per head

Ok, so who do you want in charge of your bank?

1. The Bhoys, available at minimum wage and can start as CEO immediately due to no other commitments.

OR

2. Keen Leader, who has an alternative offer from Goldman Sachs in London where 500K is chump change but is keen to stay in Dublin for family reasons
Report Tolmi November 8, 2012 10:00 AM GMT
I would not often agree with JayTrump but the sheer brass neck of the upper echelons of banking is sickening.The Government should have insisted as a precondition to bailing out any financial institution that any pre bailout contracts with staff be null and void.This argument that they cannot do anything about existing contractual arrangements just shows how naive both this and the previous administration were in their dealings with the banks.
It must be particularly galling if you are a worker in a private company whose pension scheme is being wound down due to poor management/investment decisions.You will be facing a vastly reduced pension even though you employer is profitable.However if you are a civil servant/public sector employee you get an offer of a gold plated early retirement and pension.Better still if you are a banker who caused the whole crash you get an enormous pension paid for from money funded by a "broke" government...mindboggling.
None of this in any way exhonerates the Quinns who engaged in massive asset stripping despite acknowledging owing Anglo hundreds of millions.
Report mightymoyes November 8, 2012 6:52 PM GMT
Ozymandius     08 Nov 12 08:46 
as many as 5 staff at this busted bank have received salaries of upto half a million euro per head

Ok, so who do you want in charge of your bank?

1. The Bhoys, available at minimum wage and can start as CEO immediately due to no other commitments.

OR

2. Keen Leader, who has an alternative offer from Goldman Sachs in London where 500K is chump change but is keen to stay in Dublin for family reasons
-----------

either would be an improvement who those in charge before.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl November 8, 2012 7:32 PM GMT
In business and in the law of the land there must be adherence to one standard.
However our Minister for Justice, and the Foreign Affairs Minister, completely ignore the verdict of the Supreme Court, (our highest court),and continue with a Referendum that should it succeed may be flawed. However Sean Quinn languishes in jail for contempt of court.
Does that not seem like two standards ?............
Report Rocketfingers November 8, 2012 11:00 PM GMT
This is another issue, does Quinn deserved to be in jail for contempt of court yes he does.
Report Tolmi November 9, 2012 9:56 AM GMT
An ardent Fianna Fail supporter lecturing about double standards....You could not make it up!CJH,Ray Burke,Liam Lawlor,Pee Flynn and daughter...need I go on?

If you were capable of looking at the two situations objectively you might find that Sean Quinn is in jail for failing to comply with a court order whereas the government have said they will abide by the Supreme Court ruling...The Supreme Court did not state the Referendum should be postponed.A slight difference I would have thought.
Report Ozymandius November 9, 2012 10:07 AM GMT
There is no end to the 'whataboutery' tangential arguments from the Quinn supporters all of which are irrelevant.
Report GANT007 November 9, 2012 11:16 AM GMT
Some day I'm sure the truth will come out.
Report reb November 9, 2012 3:36 PM GMT
The truth is already out, Gant,as revealed by the Irish Courts but you either can't see it or choose not to see it.
Report GANT007 November 9, 2012 9:43 PM GMT
Contempt of court maybe but the big picture I am talking about.
Report richters June 27, 2013 10:56 AM BST
The penny has finally dropped with anglo.........but the usual culprits on here will still have the blinkers on........
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl June 27, 2013 11:04 AM BST
Very interesting now to see how this goes, if there is any rally/ies coming up, I am going to go and support this great family. Sean Quinn asked for 5 or 7 years grace in order to be given an opportunity to turn the whole thing around. But, alas the Teachers and Civil Servants knew better, and closed the door on his face. One of the many bad decisions made by our great teachers, auctioneers, solicitors chancers all posing as politicians. None fit to lace his boots.
Report RoyalAcademy June 27, 2013 11:26 AM BST
jay, select your cliche: filthy lucre, money is the root of all evil, power corrupts etc etc

There are no "good guys" in our debacle - greed was good.

For an insight into banking in the City follow the Guardian's Joris Luyendijk's banking blog; the following article isn't a bad place to start:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/joris-luyendijk-banking-blog/2012/apr/30/interdealer-broker-voices-of-finance
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl June 27, 2013 12:30 PM BST
Thanks RA..................
Report reb June 27, 2013 12:30 PM BST
Sean Quinn put it ALL on red/black and lost. Not a good strategy for any businessman/investor/gambler. The poorhouse beckoned but he's not in the poorhouse because capitalism has failed and his losses have been socialised.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl June 27, 2013 12:57 PM BST
Perhaps reb, but before SQ placed that money on the table, and before the croupier spun the roulette wheel, the bank had all the slots reserved on the wheel, instead of, as in the old days, just two slots. But the truth will come out eventually.

I find it hard to comprehend that a Minister that had full knowledge of minor traffic offences, has now admitted he knew nought about these tapes. So is he doing his job. on behalf of Joe Public ? The teachers party knew nuttin either, about the tapes. Yet the teachers were put in to deal with the banking debacle yet 3years later they admit to knowing nuttin about these tapes. Are Noonan and Enda doing their job ? All this should have been dealt in their first year in the job, but they care not one iota, and its all about power for these guys, get into office and stay their Bertie like..........
Report mrcombustible June 28, 2013 1:43 PM BST
No sympathy for Quinn, how about his insurance company?? He is so thick he thought the premiums were profit, the man should have stuck to gravel. Got ideas above his station
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com