Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
MJK
10 Dec 11 18:07
| Topic/replies: 13,994 | Blogger: MJK's blog
A good while since I've done it but spent a few hours in a PP shop today. Firstly we hear that muppet Mark Winstanley give 2 long odds on favs as his main tips(HinterlandWhoops), he must be pissing himself that he gets paid to do this, then the actual coverage of the days racing is continually interrupted by another muppet Paul Ryan over the PP Audio. Of course bookies have to advertise specials etc but this guy takes the biscuit. He wants to comment of everything that happens in every sport, continually misses the start of events because he's too busy talking, and invariably uses 1000 words when 10 is needed. How do people listen to this **** day after day? Thank God for the ol' internet!
Pause Switch to Standard View Paddy Power Shops
Show More
Report tobywong. December 10, 2011 7:36 PM GMT
pocket talkers are worse again
Report Dan Chipowski December 10, 2011 7:41 PM GMT
Paul Ryan can't be any worse than that gobsh!te BruceBetting use.
Report Cupwinkcook December 10, 2011 9:44 PM GMT
Paddies went 2/5 Hinterland - enhanced special when he was 1/3 on the show

Limit was 1000

Anyone know what he was trading on here at the time?

Cut to 2/7 before the off.
Report mr phantom December 10, 2011 11:48 PM GMT
I switch off as soon as I hear mention of Winstanley. Though I must say Stevie G the guy they use for the dogs grates me like no other. The amount of times I have have heard him say 'I can't believe this dog is 6/4 should be odds on, get on'or something similar, of course queue said dog coming trailing in 5th or 6th.
Report claimingseven December 11, 2011 12:01 AM GMT
The number 1 golden rule of Greyhound Gambling is if Stevie G fancies it, put a line through it straight away.
Report Murphys Stroke December 11, 2011 12:05 AM GMT
If ye think those guys are bad you should hear the Irish bloke who does the voiceover on SIS+,tips up something in every race and if it wins its a case of i told you so if it loses nothing.He would interupt the run to the last in the Gold cup to tell ya the opening show at Kinsley and after very winner crosses the line he says so and so "takes the spoils".How these guys get these jobs is beyond me.
Report Rowley Mile December 11, 2011 12:17 AM GMT
The only thing i like about the shops is that they don't play the turf tv commentary. The commentary consists of ina 16 runner handicap, one chap gives the odd numbers a mention individualy and the other chap does the even numbers. No matter what wins, one say to the toher, fink you gave that one a mention b4 ther jim
Report mr phantom December 11, 2011 12:44 AM GMT
Speaking of Hinterland a friend today placed a 5 euro s.f/c dbl in error today. The first half was Hinterland no 1 to beat no 3. In error he placed the same numbers 1 to beat 3 in the first at Donny. To his horror 1 did beat 3 in the first at Donny and paid over 69 euros but Hinterland had already bin beaten at 2/7. He only realised his error after both races. I saw the docket we agreed probably would have paid around 3500 euros for his fiver
Report Dan Chipowski December 11, 2011 12:44 AM GMT
Think that's the chap I heard in Bruces that you're talking about Murphys! Grin
Report mr phantom December 11, 2011 12:47 AM GMT
Very true claiming though makes no odds to me as never punt the dogs
Report Distant View December 11, 2011 12:55 AM GMT
Mr Phantom,

What do you mean by to his horror?

What bet did he intend to place?

Was it 3 to beat 1 at Cheltenam or something?
Report stayonyourfeet December 11, 2011 1:27 AM GMT
Reading through the comments regarding the voice-overs in Bookies made me laugh. The virtual stuff is awful too, the football one always on now is laughable to watch.
Report neill d December 11, 2011 2:57 AM GMT
Noone really wants ANYONE to do this stuff but an understated style could make a very good career for a fella with the right moderation of tone, amazing they have not found ANYONE capable
Report Newmanix December 11, 2011 10:16 AM GMT
Them voices are the pied pipers to the awful gamblers that sit in the shops from 11am til 6pm.  I was in boils yesterday for an hour and there was a gap in racing of about 15 mins I think, and the voice came on and said "we are now gonna go to commentary in the Portugul/Finland game"  A fúcking virtual football game!!!  I got out of there asap.
Report donal December 11, 2011 8:43 PM GMT
The fella in Bruce's is a complete joke. I have been standing at the Racing Post looking at the Spotlights and the voiceover fella just reads them out with a few different words in an attempt to make it sound like he is not copying.

He is worse than bad.
Report da fallon factor December 11, 2011 9:01 PM GMT
can never understand the punters who spend all day in the bookies betting on absolutely everything,never have time to watch what they have backed as they are to busy writing out their next bet Crazy
Report Newmanix December 11, 2011 9:10 PM GMT
Even today I went to boils to watch the 1.35 til 205 and looking at the regulars "studying the form" for Steepledowns had me puzzled!  I suppose we are as bad at home online, maybe these chaps are hiding it from their family etc.  I only go to bookies to study their specials/enhanced etc., and then I make my own mind up on which ones I am with them on.  I am a firm believer in the rule "Never let a bookie write out a bet for you"
Report Cupwinkcook December 11, 2011 9:27 PM GMT
shares in damien rice have just gone thru the roof

his soul sold to the devil
Report Kelly December 12, 2011 10:52 AM GMT
In the old days , pre betting exchanges and pre "corporate" marketing / voice overs  , certain bookies shops were worth visiting . A shrewd punter was looking for

Value
Infornation
No restrictions
Bit of craic

If some or all of those were missing you moved on . Information came from others who frequented the shop , regulars usually  , the numpties were easy to spot and ignore .

The well informed regulars no longer exist , most have migrated to their own devices be it on course with a hook up , or fast pics at home , or just in front of the TV keeping an eye on the markets and trading a few quid .

FOBT numpties only left ( God help them ) , plus odds and sods , so the voice overs have few if any listeners , it is just a bit of background noise to be ignored if you happen to stray into an office .
Report kavvie December 12, 2011 11:53 AM GMT
i seen a few slot machines/ fbots in a few shops recently..bar one and a few more..thought they were not allowed in ireland?.
Report da fallon factor December 12, 2011 12:14 PM GMT
fobt machines totally illegal here!
Report ilikewavingatbuses December 12, 2011 1:56 PM GMT
where did u see these kavvie?

let me know, they wont be there much longer!
Report kavvie December 12, 2011 4:42 PM GMT
athlone bar one beside the college..i hate the things..surprised they are there to be honest..isnt that barney o hare?
Report da fallon factor December 12, 2011 5:13 PM GMT
is that the bar 1 shop they bought of bruce betting next door to Charlie Browns kavvie
Report kavvie December 12, 2011 5:24 PM GMT
thats the one..2 or 3 machines at the back...i couldnt believe it..last sat week
Report wildmanfromborneo December 12, 2011 5:36 PM GMT
Barney O`Hare was a slot machine operator before he became a bookmaker,old habits die hard.
Report sinndar001 December 13, 2011 7:34 PM GMT
Newmanix

We're not as bad online, at least we're studying form. What form is there for Steepledowns? Seen the same myself. I mean what the hell are these clowns looking at. Mad stuff!
Report punchestown December 14, 2011 10:47 AM GMT
What form is there for Steepledowns? Seen the same myself. I mean what the hell are these clowns looking at. Mad stuff

-------------

They're watching cartoons for adults.
Report kiddo112 December 14, 2011 11:27 AM GMT
Spoils is the worst imo. All the different screens would give you an epeleptic fit!! Jollies and Rags, Roulette, Not to Win, Football Specials, Win Distances, 49s, Brushwood, and now their very own Virtual Channel - where you can bet on Motor Racing and Cycling amongst others. The scary thing is, there is obviously some sort of demand for this if they have them all, and have developed a Virtual Channel Crazy
Report ReimerpYsatnaf December 14, 2011 11:49 AM GMT
That's like my local laddies, the odd time they have open racing on during the day i'll go down to watch it (hate the place though).

They will be running around the shop like headless chickens scribbling out dockets for every race at every virtual track they have on their small screens, then when they lose the roll the docket up and throw it on the ground in disguist and you'll get the usual "unreal ain't it" "how could you pick it" "50/1 FFS what a joke", it's a virtual race you clowns.
They do the same though on the horses and dogs, they don't go near the papers to look at the form as they don't have the time as they have been watching virtual races so they just look up at the screen and scribble a selection down and again do be disguisted when they lose. They seem to think they have a given right to win without putting any work into it, beggars belief the stupidity of some people.
Report reb December 14, 2011 12:02 PM GMT
Some of us are forgetting that, for many people, Gambling is an addiction.
Report reb December 14, 2011 12:03 PM GMT
And addiction is an illness.
Report Rowley Mile December 14, 2011 1:08 PM GMT
I think what bugs everyone is that all the clutter that comes in over the airwaves is purely to satisfy the addiction and make sure as many ill-judged bets come accross the counter as possible.
Report reb December 14, 2011 3:14 PM GMT
Spot on Rowley.

The ultimate aim of the Bookmaker is to maximize his/her profit. That will mean discouraging people who potentially can negatively impact on that aim and encouraging, through audio and other means, those people who are not as skilled/disciplined as the former.

You can be absolutely sure that P Powr are quite happy with the audio content in their shops. If they weren't they would make immediate changes. That company's share price has quadrupled in the past 3 years - that didn't happen by accident.
Report BJG December 14, 2011 4:25 PM GMT
Bookmaker Paddy Power has signed a three-year deal with the company which operates the lottery in British Columbia province in Canada.

Paddy Power will supply product, pricing and risk management services to British Columbia Lottery Corporation's online sports betting business from the summer of 2012.

Under Canadian law, BCLC is the only company allowed to offer sports betting in British Columbia.

Paddy Power chief executive Patrick Kennedy said BCLC was the company's first lottery partner, while the partnership also represented its first deal in North America. Mr Kennedy said North America would become increasingly important to Paddy Power in the future.
Report Santry December 14, 2011 6:10 PM GMT
Bookies exist to make money. They make the vast bulk of their money from "mug" punters who put little or no thought into their bets. From reading this forum its clear to me that if the contributors here reflecting the people going into the shops the shops would be shut down as they couldnt make any money. I'm uncomforable too with this trend now were bookies have there own tipsters for their customers-conflict of interest surely. Was working in Dundalk recently and went into a Bar One Racing shop-four FOBT's in situ-are theses not illegal?.
Report soapp December 14, 2011 7:00 PM GMT
We are all in the game to make money be it online, or over the counter. As I see it bookies are in the same position to maximise their profits. Therefore the more mugs they attract the better for them. It is up to the better half to keep him out of the shops if he spends all the dinner money.
Report sinndar001 December 14, 2011 10:17 PM GMT
Am I right in say that the layout of any betting office is to confuse a person and not let them time to think. Countless screens showing countless events along with incessant ramblings from the audio teams. In my local betting office, they have 8 tv's that carry Turf Tv, ATR, SIS, SIS+, RTE 1, TNAG plus 2 others channels. I can't see the need for the last 4 tvs. All done to confuse. Funnily enough they don't have a screen that advertises prices on Irish race meetings. Spoils and PP are worse. Unreal noise.
Report MCKENNA December 14, 2011 11:20 PM GMT
Thing that annoys me most, mainly about Badblokes, is the lack of actual racing papers (RP cards) on display - they have so much c rap on display giving odds on correct football match scores, lucky numbers, etc. You would be doing well to actually get a chance to read all the form for a horse race meet.
Report Kelly December 14, 2011 11:25 PM GMT
Was in a shop today which used to be the busiest in the North . 4 punters sitting inside  , 2 staff , no bets struck while I was in there for about 5 minutes .  3 pm  , 3 race meetings in progress . Sign of the times .

Not even anyone playing the FOBT's .

Only a matter of time before a  shakeout gathers momentum .
Report ko2 December 15, 2011 11:44 AM GMT
ladbrokes actually cut back on the amount of racing posts they get pershop as cost cutting measure sometime in the past year or so
Report ko2 December 15, 2011 11:56 AM GMT
its hard to say which bookies is the worst these days,some recent experiences i/my mates have had

spoils, ask for bet at price , told sp only so no bet then a minute later they cut price.

lads,really dont want horseracing bets in the morning, dont cut price just refuse bets

powers, prices linked to betfair, can get on in some shops where they dont know you, once you win even a small bit time to move on

hacketts, crap prices bog only 100e stake , be lucky to get that on, never  anyone in them,

rogers, can get on up to 150/200 max if not that big a price  wont take each way bets

stan james- crap prices , might get on for a 100 but normally bette prices elsewhere-
track, jokers dont want to take bets at all.
mulholland , crap prices, might  lay u for a day or two til u win and thats it, time to get a mate to go in
bar one- depends on who is working , sometimes can get on for 200 other days nothing
bamburys,crap prices, might get on for a ton orb two but have seen them having the bet back straight away on the internet before you get the docket
hills - gone no losss at all
tullys,might get 200 on , hate ews , varies from shop to shop

grim
Report punchestown December 15, 2011 12:13 PM GMT
They don't seem to want you to know the going for some strange reason. Wink
Report ko2 December 15, 2011 1:02 PM GMT
forgot bruce 100 max - doubt they are making any money at all
Report sinndar001 December 15, 2011 2:02 PM GMT
What also beats all out is you see lads clambering over each other to read the spotlight/form on the RP and then have 10/20/50/100 on a horse and wouldn't spend the 2.50 for a racing post of their own.
Report ko2 December 15, 2011 3:11 PM GMT
yeah i agree sindaar, i still get it every day but i reckon sales are declining the whole time,a lot of  people just use internet sites solely, i like the way the form is in the paper but really a combination of the two is best
Report Santry December 15, 2011 4:53 PM GMT
The RP spotlights and tips are available on the PP website.
Report joevalue147 December 15, 2011 8:10 PM GMT
Having spoken to a staff member of P Powers recently on a night out the person informed me there can be no lee way whatsoever if a customer happens to be a few seconds late for a price. Regular or not. If there security bet manager cops that a customer has been given a late price the staff member runs the risk of getting a warning. Boyles wouldnt give you a second either. I suppose the big chains claim they give enough away with their money back specials and their enhanced prices.Hacketts have to ring up in the morning with a nifty. Sean Grahams cut morning prices on horses just before they make customers aware the horse in question is not running,thus enhancing the rule 4. Bruce seems fair enough to be honest. They were caught with their pants down on numerous occasions with late(very late)price changes to there early prices, so much so that a whole new makeover was done in their head office.Bar ONE are a watse of time. They are very slow with their price changes in the morning but if you ring them up to take advantage of it they will not quote you the price they are going at the time. They will put you on hold, check oddschecker,then quote you worst price of the lot. Have'nt dealt with Track bookmakers for a while but they seemed fair enough when they were on their own but have since joined the beTpac crowd along with hacketts so god knows what they would take now. None of the above wants to see whats on the 'earlybirds menu' if you show any success at all.Angry
Report Rowley Mile December 16, 2011 1:04 AM GMT
"Bruce seems fair enough to be honest"
Report joevalue147 December 16, 2011 9:47 AM GMT
Thats in my experiences with punting with them Rowley Mile. Obviously peoples views will differ.
Report Kelly December 16, 2011 11:23 AM GMT
Summary of posts indicates very few of the bookies are worth visiting for a bet . Useful for tea and biscuits and occasional "special offer " , but all other doors closed by the bean counters in charge .

In the light of other dire economic forecasts outside of betting industry , wonder where we will finish up in a year or two ?  Nobody buying  , stuck with shops for which there is no demand , hard to see a future .
Report kavvie December 16, 2011 4:22 PM GMT
i think in recent times pp are head and shoulders above the rest.a few yr ago they were all the same but pp have really got their act together.they will take big bets now and very seldom refuse the full bet.added to their enhancements and specials i think there no where else to go(and i dont work for them!)signs on their share price has quadrupled in last 3 yrs..
Report ReimerpYsatnaf December 16, 2011 4:29 PM GMT
ReimerpYsatnaf Joined: 07 Jun 11
Replies: 5404 16 Dec 11 13:23   
Are Paddy Power for real with their prices for the 3 semi finals tonight???

Honeypound Joe 11/8 - 7/4 with 365
Skywalker Cindy 11/8 - 7/4 with 365
Oakfront Manuka 4/1 - 5/1 with 365
Up In Time 11/2 - 11/2 with 365
Aero Gaga 6/1 - 7/1 with 365
Endless Tiger 16/1 - 25/1 with 365

just under 140% PP - just over 121% with 365

Peggys Style 6/4 - 7/4 with 365
Kearneys Lucy 7/4 - 2/1 with 365
Storm Pockets 7/4 - 2/1 with 365
Kincraig Jamie 8/1 - 12/1 with 365
Roseville Hawk 12/1 - 16/1 with 365
Processor 20/1 - 20/1 with 365

just over 136% with PP - just over 121% with 365

Slaneyside Havoc 8/11 - 5/6 with 365
Lotties Girl 3/1 - 4/1 with 365
St Mullins Pride 4/1 - 5/1 with 365
Black Reason 5/1 - 6/1 with 365
Castlegore Star 5/1 - 7/1 with 365
Fast Fit Shambra 25/1 - 33/1 with 365

140% with PP - just under 121% with 365

Please god nobody will have a bet on these semi finals with that lot tonight, are they taking the piss or something?? Obviously trying to get some right fools in their shops in to bet at these absolutely diabolical prices.

They are bloody woeful on greyhound racing and limit you to stupid amounts, why they even bothered pricing the above up is beyond me, those prices are pathetic.
Report kavvie December 16, 2011 4:31 PM GMT
jesus that pure robbery..
Report ReimerpYsatnaf December 16, 2011 4:33 PM GMT
I don't know whos prices went up first but i'd have a guess that Ian St Pier priced up at 365 first and then PP just copied going a bit shorter every single dog bar 2 which they went the same price.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf December 16, 2011 4:37 PM GMT
I actually see they have taken their semi final prices down now, took the whole Harolds Cross card down Laugh
Report mincer11 December 16, 2011 4:48 PM GMT
PP is a con exactly the same as betfair is,nobody clever wanted just £10 and £20 mugs needed.
Report kavvie December 16, 2011 5:16 PM GMT
well mincer your entitled to your opinion but i seen a lot of lumpy bets accepted in a few pps lately..they gone very brave and it seems to be working for them
Report reb December 16, 2011 5:21 PM GMT
kavvie, that P.Powr shop (assuming it's a shop you're referring to) must be on Fantasy Island. Either that, or they've changed their policy in the very recent (last 2 weeks) past.

Not too brave with their last 16 Champs Lge odds today - 1/3 odds 1.2 !
Report kavvie December 16, 2011 5:25 PM GMT
i was with a guy lately and we went into a pp shop we wernt known in..he had a 5k bet no prob..and it won(6/4) he had a 2 k bet(lost)..again no prob..if this happened in spoils they would first of all prob faint,and when they came to and rang the trader he would faint!!
Report tom40 December 16, 2011 5:32 PM GMT
newmanix..are you serious about the virtual football?
come to think of it if virtual racing why not virtual soccer!
Report reb December 16, 2011 6:17 PM GMT
Well then, kavvie, I'll assume they've changed their policy in the very recent past. I presume that PP were best odds on those bets your friend placed ?
Report kavvie December 16, 2011 6:20 PM GMT
live shows..
Report observerirl December 16, 2011 9:13 PM GMT
mincer while some offers on here are of little substance at least you can take whats offered. with the firms u b lucky to get 3.65 on if ur lucky
Report observerirl December 16, 2011 9:15 PM GMT
while pp and all the other firms are similar to alice in wonderland bf show whats available at the price
Report joevalue147 December 16, 2011 9:31 PM GMT
Kavvie what was the name of the horse pp took 5 grand on please??? Just for interest sake.
Report observerirl December 16, 2011 9:36 PM GMT
JOE THE ANSWER IS HANS CHRSTIAN ANDERSON IN THE 2.30 AT STEEPLEDOWNS
Report reb December 16, 2011 10:07 PM GMT
From what I recall of kavvie's posts, he's not known for posting bull. I believe what he says (above) but it doesn't change my opinion.  I'll need more substantiated evidence for that to happen.

There's always the possibility that PP have changed their approch recently and decided to start behaving like a bookmaker with 280+ shops.
Report kavvie December 16, 2011 11:24 PM GMT
i forget to be honest.it was in a novice chase i think..i wasnt aware of it til he had it on..im no apologist for pp but it happened.why would i be spoofing..go in and try it and see will any of you get on!!.
Report kavvie December 16, 2011 11:26 PM GMT
and just to add to the above,i think that if you wanted 5k at 6/4 morning price it might be more difficult.but  bets to live show prices seem to be catered for?
Report joevalue147 December 17, 2011 10:07 AM GMT
Yeah Kavvie live show big bets would be much better catered for id imagine because they can just put there liabilities through here. In the morning/early betting the liquidity would'nt be here so they would'nt take a lumpy one imo. I could be way off but thats my understanding of it.
Report Byerley_Racing December 17, 2011 10:36 AM GMT
I am often amused at some of the thought processes on here as to how bookmakers operate but joevalue147 do you honestly think that any bookmakers get to such scale by having back 5k at 6/4 on the here on a mature market? I would like to confirm for you that your understanding is way off!
Report joevalue147 December 17, 2011 10:49 AM GMT
Maybe so. I'll tell u one thing for sure.Their morning prices on Irish racing is embarrassing. Especially short price favs. I guess thats why they 'enhance' them 5mins before the off when the live show is in because they certainly like to dodge the big bets in the morning.
Report Byerley_Racing December 17, 2011 11:08 AM GMT
and to not do so would be to engage in wreckless trading. Irish racing is a cess pit. Say you have a 10 runner Novice Chase, 6/4, 11/4 and 4/1, 8 or 10's bar - from the win perspective only the front 3 count, you are pretty much betting 87% the field. Irish Racing being the cess pit that it is somebody in the know has been told that the 11/4 shot is a non jigger as he is a grand type for hcp chases later into the season - you are now backing to 60%.

6 hours from the race only a few people know the 11/4 shot is a non jigger so laying hefty bets on those prices is akin to leaving a pallet of cash on O'Connell St and allowing people to take as much as they can carry away with them. 5 mins from the race the cat is out of the bag, the 6/4 poke is 11/10,  the 4/1 poke is 7/4 and the 11/4 poke is a million! As the market is now much more mature you can lay a bigger bet at something resembling the right price.

The above is a not an untypical circumstance in Irish Racing and as long as the establishment sit back and allow it roll around in its own sh1t then you can expect an ever reducing tolerance for bets at early prices.

Just a few weeks back in Thurles we had one of the biggest gambles of the year where pretty much the biggest punter in the ring had his horse run in somebody elses colours! Is this right that the industry turns a blind eye to it?

Can anybody tell me the last time a JP McManus owned runner was stood down for not trying? Yet he seems to always unearth a few 'improvers'!

There is a race to the bottom, and from what I can see the 'industry' is encouraging it through inaction!
Report joevalue147 December 17, 2011 11:22 AM GMT
Excellent post Gimme. Very well said. Makes sense now alright. I just thought they were mean with their prices and they were thinking the mugs would take them regardless. Your right aswell about whats going on in Irish racing. Magnier can do what he wants on the flat and McManus can do us he pleases in the jumps.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 17, 2011 2:27 PM GMT
That'll Do Me (IRE) 11-2 (Mrs Helen Walsh) (Morning price: 15/2 8/1 5/1 7/1) (Opened 11/2) SP 5/2fav T M Walsh R J Jones(2)
settled in rear of mid-division on outer, good headway to join issue 3 out, disputed and travelling well when left in front after 2 out, drew clear before last, kept on well, very easily !!! Shocked
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 17, 2011 2:36 PM GMT
wildmanfromborneo 17 Nov 11 22:38
Hardlyuseless "would your question have anything to do with the massive gamble on That`ll Do Me in the 3.15 at Thurles. There were rumours he was owned by a large gentlemen, that should bring my stalker charging to his defence". Surprised
Report arsenalno1 December 18, 2011 5:46 PM GMT
ladbrokes are the biggest joke of all time .my friend was trying to have 30 each way on at 9/1 in 18 runner handicap and was told he could have sp . who are they laying the so call big bets the woman is alway going on about on tv .
Report kavvie December 18, 2011 10:47 PM GMT
excellent summary gimme.it really is  a cess pit.we all are happy when were on the inside of the tent pi.s.sing out but when we get stitched up its not nice.i remember recently backing a yoke at 4s ew in the morn.was assured it would go off half that..as it happened it went to 12s on machine just b4 off.true to form it finished 4th!!..thats the way its gone..
Report trooper thornton December 19, 2011 9:33 AM GMT
Padd-y Pow-er are dreadful with prices and if there laying u lumpy bets its because there happy with your business

They have always used gimmicks but have gone overboard the last couple of years as their screens are full of mugs specials (name the first six in order etc) Clearly these are profitable as Specials have taking over their whole shop day

They are one of the last bookies to price non hcaps holding off till 10am and when they are up they are always set at the middle ground

Check out oddschecker any day of you will rarely find them best price on a horse (occasionally Jt) but invariably the are middle price or worse

If you are serious and profitable punter PP are not for you but to be fair that’s the way they want it

Another thing that bugs me about them is that they are great marketers of their business and their shops are easily identified but once you get into  them you will find a mismash of attire worn by staff, they don’t seem to enforce their uniform policy (if they have one) or tidy their shops during the day they are miles behind Laddies and Spoils on this point

Anyway rant over
Report Rowley Mile December 19, 2011 4:57 PM GMT
T.T, trip over a docket and sue them !
Report TradeFair December 19, 2011 6:09 PM GMT
Would they not be covered by their fallers insurance?
Report Rowley Mile December 19, 2011 6:46 PM GMT
Not sure he'd have been betting with faller's insurance if he's complaining about their poor prices in general.
Report neill d December 19, 2011 8:47 PM GMT
Saw a fella backing Time for Rupert at 4/11 with fallers insurance last week, my daysLaugh
Report Newmanix December 21, 2011 12:11 PM GMT
I had a bet with laddies online last nite.  Blackburn were 0-2 down against Bolton.  I bet Blackburn +2 goals @ 6/4.  The game ended 1-2, but my bet was settled as a loser.  I rang them 3 times and got loads of spiel.  Emailed them and rang again this morning.  Finally got paid now. I wonder how many times this has happened to punters and Ive never heard of a online losing bet being paid as a winner!
Report Colonel Sanders December 21, 2011 4:57 PM GMT
@Newmanix

Any time I've had a void bet with Spoils (NRNB horse which is a non runner for example) I've had to ring them and ask for a refund

Wonder how many people forget and aren't refunded.
Report moneypenny December 22, 2011 11:44 AM GMT
I have to admit to having a couple of losing online bets paid as a winner Wink
Report Newmanix December 22, 2011 1:17 PM GMT
lucky you, moneypennyCool
Report freddiek December 22, 2011 3:22 PM GMT
paddys have fecked up a few times with in-running markets and i took advantage. one time they even had a match in play when it was already over

free money for once
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle December 22, 2011 9:30 PM GMT
Powers are great shops.

As soon as you get in them you just want to leave asap, you don't want to hang around. There are loads of them around and loads of markets for you to stick you teeth in. Perfect Bookie get in, get out and go about your day.
Report huddys December 24, 2011 2:51 PM GMT
went into powers earlier todat to collect a bet,counted there were 14 guys betting on dogs virtuals and racing from south africa,and to make it so sad there were no papers in the shop,waited and looked around for 10 minutes and they were taken loads of bets,no wonder they were going when you have fools like this given them there money
Report Newmanix December 24, 2011 2:54 PM GMT
sad really.
Report trooper thornton December 24, 2011 7:36 PM GMT
Popped into one today just to see how busy it would be could not believe it double figures in the shop betting away

Cant blame them if thats what people want but the staff look extremly glum the days of 2/3 days off B4 Xmas for betting shop staff are gone based on what i seen today
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com