Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Stamford Bridge
07 Sep 11 21:10
| Topic/replies: 186 | Blogger: Stamford Bridge's blog
The upcoming Listowel festival traditionally signals the re-introduction of proper National hunt racing. We often see a few smart types make their hurdling and chasing debuts here. In recent years smart horses like LOOSEN MY LOAD have won their maiden hurdle and taken a novice chase on route to better things (3rd Cheltenham in Jewson Novices 'Chase  a Grade 2). Just glancing through the entries for Sunday's "Cheestrings Beginners Steeplechase" the one that leaps off the page is WHITE STAR LINE trained by Dessie Hughes for the intrepid exiled Kerry man Patsy Byrne. This son of Saddlers Hall was a smart hurdler last term narrowly landing his maiden hurdle at Naas in January from DUN MASC. But it was his superb 2nd behind Cheltenham "NEPTUNE INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT NOVICES' HURDLE" winner FIRST LIETENANT that really stood out as well as a close 2nd to another Cheltenham winner SIR DES CHAMPS. He'd eat these alive on Sunday if fully tuned up and provided he's schooled well. Patsy Byrne loves a winner in Listowel,SALUTE HIM won for him last year and if you see good money for this horse Sunday he could be a serious punt. He's a lazy horse only does enough but runs well fresh so might be primed for Sunday.

Nothing much stands out among the other entries over the first 2 days. Although Dot Love's easy Galway winner SHADOW EILE might land the Mares  Hurdle on Monday which is a valuable prize for a weak race. She won on ground faster than she likes in Galway. That was a poor race but she jumped and travelled super and will relish softer ground.She's no slouch and mixed it with fair types in bumpers.he won her bumper at Down Royal in March beating the smart Giant's Quest and finished second to Samian in another bumper at the Curragh. Her owner Sean Reilly, who is from Mullingar won't sell her at any price I'm told.She is a full-sister to a useful but enigmatic type in Corskeagh Royale, who was also bred by winning Mullingar owner Sean Reilly.

So let the games begin. The real N-H horses are coming out to play. Beats trying to second guess The Ballydoyle/Tabor/Magnier combinations when multi-handed in maidens ! (Impossible) [;)]
Pause Switch to Standard View Listowel "A Sign The Real National...
Show More
Report Giant Strides September 13, 2011 8:27 PM BST
What a fooking TIT you are DR. Exactly where on this thread did I knock someone? 
Keep it up and I`ll report you.
Report Stamford Bridge September 13, 2011 9:04 PM BST
In light of the current recession surely Listowel should revert to 5 days and perhaps go all N-Hunt..I'd suggest Wed to Sunday all N-Hunt with Dundalk taking the flat races for Monday Night+Tuesday Afternoon meetings the same week which Bord Failte could market in the UK as a 7 Day Racing
Holiday Package and work in tandem with tour operators...Just a thought but Listowel and 7 Days is pie in the sky stuff....

any views...The all N-Hunt a few years back worked superbly when the meeting was in Doubt !
Report DarkRosaleen September 13, 2011 9:11 PM BST
Your first reply as per usual was smart and why do you use such nasty language?
Report Giant Strides September 13, 2011 9:14 PM BST
Because you are a clownand even more so if you think that post was "smart".
GO AWAY.
Report DarkRosaleen September 13, 2011 9:26 PM BST
You thought it was smart that was the sad thing now go and pick on Reluctant.
Report Giant Strides September 13, 2011 9:30 PM BST
[smiley:crazy]
Report Stamford Bridge September 13, 2011 10:50 PM BST
Presume tomorrow draws the biggest Crowd of the Week..Fair card but better punts on Friday and Saturday..
Kerry National not for me and I've left the flat alone this week. 2 races  you could have a serious punt in tomorrow..The Novice and Maiden Hurdles look races to bet in..Just doing the Videos...

I'm not a fan of punting in bumpers but I'd say there will be a good competitive bumper tomorrow, The best so far this week although Thursday has a Quality Bumper looking at the entries...
Report neill d September 13, 2011 10:57 PM BST
Cheers Stamford re Benny, had a real good day today, thankfully avoiding the mcManus hotpots, heading down tomorrow for the big one, ta anyway, a few from Fallon, Haggas, and a certain 4yo who was good enough to win at the curragh off nearly 80 helped as well, ward summed up Benny's chance extremely well in the RP today I thought.
Report Stamford Bridge September 13, 2011 11:07 PM BST
Yeah at this time of year you have the moderate summer jumping horses coming to the end of their season and they are runing into classy winter National hunt horses with real potential. I'd say BLACK BENNY is potentially the best horse we've seen so far this week. But there are 2 nice horses entered in Maiden hurdles on friday and on Saturday. The proper scopey Winter National Hunt Horse will always beat those summer types runing around the gafs like Kilbeggan,Sligo Balinrobe. Most of those summer types are really hoping the ground remains fast into september but it hasn't happened too often lately..Of course fast summer ground would see extended hibernation for the proper horses.....
WORDLY WISE just doesn't quite gethome over 2miles,perhaps 2miles around wexford or Balinrobe might see him scrape home as he travels great..He'd be a grand horse in The UK around the sharp confines of Newton Abbot or Stratford-perhaps we'll see him end up in Jackdaws Castle.
Report neill d September 13, 2011 11:31 PM BST
So true, so much about spotting them, Worldly would inded do so well over there duringthe summer, tough for a lad who was borderline listed class on the flat, but he just physically can't stay the trip over here against summer AND winter types, I thought Ruby was quiet enough on the mullins horse al;l the same today though[:x], but Benny could be very good, need to brush up the hurdling a bit, but yeah, should kick on now, he is 6 after all, plenty of nice pots for him this winter I guess, i'd say he'll be tough to beat in most races before November anyway, i await updates on those nice types for the weekend.[:)]
Report Kelly September 14, 2011 1:06 AM BST
Looking at Wednesday racing , in particular the Kerry National .  The fact that Scots Irish is top weight does not fill me with a lot of hope that it is a top class race ( even though it is a 50/1 shot ) . Lets hope something emerges with credit from the race .
Report mincer11 September 14, 2011 11:37 AM BST
Well done stamford,top stuff.What an asset you are to the forum,hopefully you can keep up the good work for the remainder of the week.3 from 3 but little or no recognition from the regulars who rather talk about Shamrock Rovers and that rubbish LOI soccer.This is what should be on it every day and not that LOI soccer or people telling us they are gone golfing for 4 days up in Donegal.Best of luck for the remainder of the week.
Report Stamford Bridge September 14, 2011 11:49 AM BST
Day 3 Listowel Kerry National Day- Leaving the flat racing even though the frustrating FOOT SOLDIER who has bled me dry twice might revel in these conditions being by DANEHILL DANCER. He's held by the free running LEATHERWOOD on their Gowran run,LEATHERWOOD ran away with Declan Mcdonogh in a hot Cork Maiden and can't afford that in these testing conditions. FOOT SOLDIER might win but I'll look on.

I've had one bet I think DUC DE SAVOIE at the 11/10 freely available is a rock solid punt. I made him 4/6 with huge doubts about likely danger LECEILE on the ground,she must have it fast and that it will not be,there nust be a doubt about her participation. It will be gluey tacky testing ground after 6mm of rain fell after the conclusion of yesterday's card.With a dry day forecast that will turn into horrible gluey ground by 5-15

DUC DE SAVOIE handles bad ground I recall him running well when 2nd to PITTONI up The Curragh one muddy Monday in a maiden. He was 2nd to Irish Guineas winner MASTERCRAFTSMAN on similar ground. He was pulled out of Galway on The Saturday as Weld felt it was too fast and would suit his other horse NATURAL HIGH better. he was also reported lame after that day,I prefer to think Weld was never running both. 2 of the owners are originally from Listowel and although DUC DE SAVOIE hasn't inspired on ther flat lately even his 3rd to PIRES wins this as does his hurdling debut 4th in Cork which looked a disappointing run,but in the context of this race it's enough to win with a bit to spare. He has good course form (3-1) seems to handle the gluey sticky type of ground well. Ruby riding is a plus I thought he jumped well in Cork and maybe Ruby might ride him with more restraint than Robbie Mac did that day.He went off very fast in Bellewstown too,but got mugged on the line for 2nd. I think a flat track like this suits him best and he has a good turn of foot as we saw when he mowed down Paraphernalia here 12 months ago coming fast and late.His 83 rating on the flat might flatter him but its different gravy to all but one of these.

LECEILE has had a fine summer on the flat and the key to her is fast ground and front running tactics. Given fast ground she'd have been a real threat.On her only start over hurdles she made a mistake at the second and got a fright. She was very distressed afterwards. She is a bit of a Madam ,races very keenly and often refuses to go into the Stalls on the flat. On this surface I can't fancy her and she might not be 100% straightforward,but she has the top flat rating in the race at 89 and top class connections. Not for me,could yet be a non runner.

That leaves CODE OF THE WEST as the only other possible threat to Weld's jolly. CODE OF THE WEST should have won a 2mile chase in Thurles,but for falling at the last in February. his jumping of fences is sketchy thus a return to hurdling. He has  just fair runs over hurdles arguably his best run a Thurles 2nd to  Lascalahall on very heavy ground last year. He has worn cheek pieces and clearly is limited,but he's probably the only threat given the likelihood the ground will scupper LECEILE'S chances.He will at least handle the ground. I'lltelimar King and Parabolica have poor last runs to overcome,although both showed glimpes in previous efforts and anything Barry Geraghty rides is always worth a peek. I think the long 394 day absence negates against Nora's Fancy.

So for me DUC DE SAVOIE at the 11/10 freely available is the only bet on a trappy card.
I can see value seekers possibly chancing CODE OF THE WEST at 11/2 and I'lltelimar King (half brother to MOVILLE smart on heavy ground)he's probably over priced at 25/1 as I'm certain Meade will take out LECEILE
Report Stamford Bridge September 14, 2011 12:41 PM BST
Yeah as anticipated LECEILE is a N-R ....
The 5/6 is still fair regarding DUC DE SAVOIEI've gone in again at that price (think he'll go off 8/13) as very few will punt CODE OF THE WEST,who will enjoy the underfoot unlike most.
The springer is I'lltelimar King I've had tiny money on that at 18/1 (Still 16/1 Ladbrokes).Half brother to mudlark MOVILLE+bits and pieces of form on heavy one good run in Navan (Weak race by that track's exacting standards)
Basically its a shocker of a race and DUC DE SAVOIE won't find a worse maiden hurdle this side of Christmas !!![:o]
Report Stamford Bridge September 14, 2011 4:15 PM BST
Paul Carberry is really riding at the Top of his game ! Great ride in the 3 Horse Race.. Great to see the maestro prove the adage that form is temporary-class is permanent !
Report MCKENNA September 14, 2011 4:34 PM BST
Good stuff from Carberry alright-that one is owned by the wife of our local publican but I hadnt been in there for a while so wasnt on. Ah well.
Report Stamford Bridge September 14, 2011 5:03 PM BST
Yes ORIGINAL OPTION is finally looking the horse he suggested around this time last year when 3rd to HIDDEN CYCLONE+2nd to MOUNT HELICON !
He's thrived in recent months and has made hay ..But to be honest I felt it was a weak race and that BULLOCK HARBOUR is only very fair !
Report kavvie September 14, 2011 6:26 PM BST
i was told sharks had no chance in the national...i almost place laid it only it was so big..the horse in the bumper looked good...could go far..mullins having a bad week..hes dangerous when written off tho!!
Report DarkRosaleen September 14, 2011 7:07 PM BST
A pity the horrid name calling Kavvie didnt lay Alpha Beat he was too busy calling people dog dirt and i am editing to be polite.
Report kavvie September 14, 2011 7:45 PM BST
go away please
Report DarkRosaleen September 14, 2011 8:31 PM BST
Kavvie who do you think you are,you first call me dog dirt now you are trying to force me off the forum,i am entitled to post.You are probably used to throwing your weight around at home but i have feelings and should be treated like a human being.I have given you a tip for the 8.40 at Kempton i have tried to fit in but some wont let me.have you read some of the disgusting things they have said about me.
Report Rowley Mile September 14, 2011 8:39 PM BST
If you start one of those threads about drug seeking habits, you might gain some sympathy, i don't even think that if this stoute horse wins you will gain any respect for it. I dont fancy the stoute horse fwiw
Report one last chance September 14, 2011 9:20 PM BST
DarkRosaleen

would you stop ruining a good therad
Report DarkRosaleen September 14, 2011 9:45 PM BST
What did i do that was wrong?
Report one last chance September 14, 2011 9:53 PM BST
if ya want to talk crap i suggest you shud keep a thread 2 yourself or go somewhere else
Report Stamford Bridge September 15, 2011 12:02 PM BST
DAY 5 Of the Listowel Marathon a day with 3 Short Priced favourites and these results might determine whether layers are going to win this week !
Welds Sunset Stanza is very short in the first (2/5 in places)PP clearly want to lay him they go 1/2. Its a very weak race and he is superbly drawn in Stall 2 wheras his main threat on the formbook LOCH ARD has a year's absence and a horror draw to contend with. However LOCH ARD did run in much better grade than anything here-so market support would be significant. SUNSET STANZA was punted in a very poor Killarney maiden and missed the break,looked all at sea around the tight track but really motored late on despite looking very green. He's the likliest winner but is priced accordingly and you'd have to ensure Wachmans doesm't count before puting  your head down+wading in at "bottle on" (1/2). MAFI didm't stay last time but is exposed and the well drawn Bancnuanaheireann must have had training problems not to have run by now(4 yr old).I can't emphasise what a poor race this is. SUNSET STANZA + LOCH ARD are miles clear of the rest.

The 2-55 is a real cryptic puzzle with the badly drawn FRED FENSTER a non runner. GORDON LORD BYRON is well drawn and at 5/1 and 11/2 will be difficult to knock out of the placings. He ran well in the Killarney maiden in which SUNSET STANZA was 2nd-so if he wins the first race the form will get a big boost. If you twisted ny arm I'd punt GORDON LORD BYRON EW at 11/2+5/1..But a race full of imponderables.

SON AMIX is the day's class act National-Hunt wise as he launches his chasing career with the genial Paul Carbery a key booking. He'd eat these alive over hurdles. The only negative is that he has a poor win ratio and you wonder what his best trip is. He also jumped poorly a few times over hurdles (including in France). But very often fences make a man of sloppy hurdlers and hes different grade to these. Granted an error free round he looks a good thing. NR NOISIE is a light of former days and looked to slightly duck it up the hill in Galway when he came to pass YOUR BUSY-He remains the main threat.TOMDEELY will run well at a big price he clearly likes Listowel his course form reads 153- He jumps well and will make them go for a long way. He ran great Sunday,but shouldn't be in SON AMIX'S class but he's one for the value ew or those who bet without the fav or bet without two merchants.

The bumper sees John Kiely's smart SAINT GERVAIS take on the impressive Killarney winner SIN PALO. SAINT GERVAIS sluiced up in a messy race at the festival in Galway beating subsequent Bellewstown winner MALLER TREE,he was a bit flattered by wining margin as those in behind got tangled up. But he looked smart and ran as well in a hot Cork Bumper behind Shark's talking horse CLONDAW WARRIOR. His concern is that he can be very free and will need pace in the race if he's to anchor for point to point king Derek O'Connor. I'm not a great fan of O'Connor I think he's very one dimensional,rides everything from off the pace and down the years in bumpers I've seen him turn victory into defeat. He's cleary the King in Point To Points but not my cup of tea! He should suit this horse provided he doesn't overdo the waiting tactics as many felt he did in Cork.He got cast in his box prior to Galway a few weeks back thus he missed the race BLACK BENNY won. This is his first time racing left handed. But he does look as if he's got real gears !. SIN PALO looked a good horse but Willie Mullins yet to fire this week.TAHRIR SQUARE landed a fancy punt in Strattford in what didn't look a great race but he dotted up !Owega Star has given problems at the start in point to points and on his only racecourse outing (won in Killarney). As I say  he  won in Killarney back in May in slightly slower time than SIN PALO'S win. SAINT GERVAIS is priced very tight should win but in what might be a tactical affair you'd like to see some pace in the race for him to settle as he's very such a hard pulling type. But he has a big reputation.

Overall a day of the 3 Short priced horses. I've had no punt yet. SON AMIX interests me most,but again was hoping he'd be 6/4 or better. Welds should win the first although Powers continue to offer 1/2 (always a worry when hey take one on ) unless Wachman's LOCH ARD(cruel draw) is supported strongly . The horse in the 2nd race of Hogan's looks fair GORDON LORD BYRON EW value
Report Stamford Bridge September 15, 2011 1:40 PM BST
Hard to figure out the State Of the ground..Should have been some trying-so it should be gluey,dead ground !
Report GANT007 September 15, 2011 1:45 PM BST
Larkin in the 5.25 should go well........This horse had a procedure before his last run and he was way short on fitness. Robbie was told to stick him up front and see how long can he last - he won. Horse will strip fitter today and has a nice weight. On e/w @16/1.
Report dinglemick September 15, 2011 2:48 PM BST
excellent well thought out posts all week stanford ........using fresh ground today which might make it even more tacky .......just going to have a few small each way bets for interest .... agree with you in everything ypou said about good lord byron ...am told ground won t be a problem for him either ....missed the bigger prices earlier still going to have a few quid each way at 4 s ......
plenty of question marks with ground , stalls , trip with a lot of them in the third race so by process of elimination darasal wane looks the one at 7/2 ..... like to see him be ridden more prominent than he was earlier in the week over 6f when bonnie acclamation let them a merry dance .....won over 7f before that on heavy at roscommon and captain rios can t get it soft enough ...so with questions over the others i ll stick with him ....
last one in the 5.25 noel browne 14/1 ..... local father/ son who love to have a winner at the track .....decent form earlier on heavy by fleminsfirth .....if fit and ready to go after a break would have each way chance at a decent price ....although very competitive race with plenty in with chances ...
good luck to all
Report Stamford Bridge September 15, 2011 2:54 PM BST
Market told the story in the first..Everyone wanted to lay Weld's and there was money for  3 horses against him..LOCH ARD ran ok from a cruel draw..MAFI was well backed but didn't last out his race as usual,the jolly never travelled..That was a poor race he was 2nd in in Killarney which tempers enthusiasm for GORDON LORD BYRON in this 2-55 as form let down. Although he ran well in Bellewstown too. no bet for me here !
but wasn't the Bolger 4 Year old impressive boy did he take off and pi**ed up in style of fair beast ! I'd say he'll be the target of a few N Hunt owners/trainers ! Where was he hiding all along....Bancnuanaheireann impresses on his debut
"He is a fine big horse. We have been patient with him as he has taken time to come to himself. He handled the ground well and is a nice prospect." the view of Ger Flynn, travelling head lad for Jim Bolger, afterwards [;)]
Report dinglemick September 15, 2011 2:58 PM BST
was thinking the same myself stanford ....a cue of big  national hunt trainers looking for him i d say ...good lord weak on the machine 7. 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report Stamford Bridge September 15, 2011 3:27 PM BST
Ended up backing GORDON LORD BYRON EW in that 2-55 at 5/1 looked a winner..But had to settle for 2nd.....Alnost [:o]
Report dinglemick September 15, 2011 3:50 PM BST
didn t think good lord byron got the best of rides ...... didn t think darasal got a great one either !! he won thankfullyHappy
Report Stamford Bridge September 15, 2011 4:20 PM BST
Just think its hard to get a real gauge on the ground..Its the type if horrible sticky ground that suits few horses.. They need rain to loosen it out !
I was going to punt SON AMIX in the upcoming beginners chase but I'm going to look on.. An informative race it should be.. I'll leave it alone for punting purposes !
Report Rainier Wolfcastle September 15, 2011 4:22 PM BST
Only DD would get ALTM in an interview there and not ask about What A Charm.
Report workrider September 15, 2011 4:25 PM BST
had a few pound on sonamix ...last time it ran it let me down for £70,000 Sad HAD AN EVEN £50ON TODAY...
Report workrider September 15, 2011 4:34 PM BST
this fellow is turning into a pig of a horse for me.....
Report Stamford Bridge September 15, 2011 4:36 PM BST
As I said I stayed out of the race but I did give the winner a favourable mention this morning !!!   Perhaps I should have taken my advice-loves Listowel and Tom Doyle a genius from the front .............. Not aftertiming but thats what I said.
SON AMIX is the day's class act National-Hunt wise as he launches his chasing career with the genial Paul Carbery a key booking. He'd eat these alive over hurdles. The only negative is that he has a poor win ratio and you wonder what his best trip is. He also jumped poorly a few times over hurdles (including in France). But very often fences make a man of sloppy hurdlers and hes different grade to these. Granted an error free round he looks a good thing. NR NOISIE is a light of former days and looked to slightly duck it up the hill in Galway when he came to pass YOUR BUSY-He remains the main threat.TOMDEELY will run well at a big price he clearly likes Listowel his course form reads 153- He jumps well and will make them go for a long way. He ran great Sunday,but shouldn't be in SON AMIX'S class but he's one for the value ew or those who bet without the fav or bet without two merchants
Report punchestown September 15, 2011 4:42 PM BST
I thought Carberry had him very far back on that ground and had to make up an awful lot with 5 furlongs left,bit free early but maybe should have let the horse have a little bit more rein.
Report workrider September 15, 2011 4:42 PM BST
GOOD CALL STAMFORD...
Report neill d September 15, 2011 4:44 PM BST
he didn't jump great, but I think they might have had him a bit out of his ground, he had to make up a lot in the middle part of the race
Report punchestown September 15, 2011 4:50 PM BST
neill,he got a little close to a couple but considering it was his first chase he jumped alright and I personally don't think that was the reason he was so far back.
Report neill d September 15, 2011 4:53 PM BST
Neither did I really, suppose they thought he'd do em for toe, he'll tighten up for this I'm sure but one to be wary of for sure.
Report neill d September 15, 2011 4:53 PM BST
Neither did I really, suppose they thought he'd do em for toe, he'll tighten up for this I'm sure but one to be wary of for sure.
Report punchestown September 15, 2011 5:21 PM BST
Gormanstown Cuckoo in the next,seems to be improving for the trip and whilst the ground might be a little softer than ideal has gone alright on it before and will  hopefully take this.
Report dinglemick September 15, 2011 5:24 PM BST
seem to have got the value on noel browne 13/2 now from 14 s
Report dinglemick September 15, 2011 5:35 PM BST
rubys back !!!!!!!! ..... n browne went out like a light
Report Stamford Bridge September 15, 2011 8:40 PM BST
I'd say that SONAMIX despite all his good runs has a poor win ratio. I've no doubt he'll win a chase but he is no natural jumper. as I pointed out earlier in the thread he was a sketchy jumper of hurdles. I'm disapointed with him but you'd give anyone the benifit of the doubt on that tacky ground. Its like quicksand said Tom Doyle. Maybe the rain tonight will loosen it out !
SAINT GERVAIS looks a decent horse but it may not have been the greatest winner's race but he might well have won 3 bumpers now but for Derek o Connor's poor ride in Cork. I'd like to see him in a re-match with Shark's horse. John Kiely can't half train bumper horses. It's a pity they often don't progress afterwards. Considering the numerous good bumper horses he's trained he hasn't produced too many super stars afterwards.

No denying his best bumper horse ever was Liss A Paoraigh  who won 2 Bumpers in 2000 in Clonmel and the Punchestown Grade 1 bumper after being the eyecatcher of all time in a Thurles Maiden hurdle.She went on to be top class,arguably his best ever horse,she was a superb mare ! Look at her CV
December Festival Hurdle:2002
Lismullen Hurdle:  2001
Royal Bond Novice Hurdle:2000
Punchestown Champion Bumper:2000

A notable part of Kiely’s business has been to win bumpers with horses and sell them on. Notable examples of such trades in recent years have been Boychuk, who won a bumper at Killarney in July 2005 for Kiely before going on to win Grade 2 events over hurdles and fences for Philip Hobbs, and Snap Tie, who made a winning debut in a bumper at Limerick in May 2006 before going on to be Grade 1-placed over hurdles for the same trainer.

Will we see SAINT GERVAIS sold out of the yard or become another JP purchase...He goes next for a winners of two bumper at Tipperary as long as he comes out of today well. He will go hurdling in time.
Report dinglemick September 15, 2011 11:55 PM BST
i d say there is a good chance stanford  Diane Whately in england will buy him considering she bought Boychuk and snap tie ........ without doubt kielys one of the best at selling on a bumper horse and getting top buck for them ..... didn t he train brian gleasons bumper horse that came second at the punchestown festival last year and sold on i think to the whatelys aswell ..... can t remember the name think he was by milan ... got something crazy like 325k sterling for him ...
Bolgers chevalier gelding that won the first could make a real good 4 year old hurdler the way he travelled and quickened on that ground
Report yourlack September 16, 2011 7:32 AM BST
Go all the way? Think alan potts bought that.
Report Anaglogs Daughter September 16, 2011 11:23 AM BST
3mm of rain at Listowel overnight

ground remains testing for day six, Ladies Day, of the Listowel Festival following 3mm of rain overnight.

The going is described this morning as heavy (soft to heavy in places) on the Flat course, and soft to heavy (heavy in places) on the National Hunt course. There remains a yielding patch of about a furlong at the start of the back straight.

There will be fresh ground for the Flat and hurdle track both today and tomorrow
Report dinglemick September 16, 2011 11:33 AM BST
think trainers would be happy to see rain ........rain into the ground might make it less tacky for the horses anaglogs .......
alot of trappy handicaps down there today ..... one i m chancing each way in the second is Badger or Bust 13/2 / 6/1 .....bit frustrating this fella hasn t won since heavy ground at the curragh in 08 but has been going close in his last few runs ..... very unluckly at galway festival when had to be switched wide coming from well off the pace over 7f just failing to get up ...... ran well again their at the end of august beaten a couple of lengths and then last sunday on heavy ground at the curragh was again doing its best work at the finish over 7f in the european apprentice race ..... johnny murtagh gets the leg up which should be a big help .... Draw isn t great though drawn 10 ...the fact he usually held up might negate this although it is very difficult in the 6f to 1mile races at listowel to make up ground ..... question marks about ground about plenty of the opposition so hoping today might be his day to stay on at the finish
Report lapsy pa September 16, 2011 12:47 PM BST
Fine thread Stamford,
As said already thought it was a bit of a shame for the ground to be as it is at least from a punting perspective.
Hard to see past Bonnie acclamation in the first,opposition looks poor and the manner of its win monday with darasal wane franking the form yesterday is enough for me.
Lovely novice hurdle(4.20)slightly favour laganbank over alderwood on the basis of its easy Galway win(beir bua nearly 20l behind)Ground ought to be okay on Killarney bumper win.
Good luck with your choices today.
Report punchestown September 16, 2011 2:34 PM BST
Smithfield an E/W bet to nothing in the Maiden should be ok on the ground.

Laganbank might prefer a longer trip but still should .be good enough with Ruby up
Report dinglemick September 16, 2011 2:53 PM BST
the 33/1 rag does me SadSad...... think badger might find one too good the whole time !!
Report punchestown September 16, 2011 3:12 PM BST
Unlucky dinglemick,it ran a cracker.
Report dinglemick September 16, 2011 4:27 PM BST
well done punchestown good call on laganbank Happy.....didn t play in it , couldn t seperate the two of them .
dingaling is being well tipped up in a lot of places but i still think if cairdin jumps ok first time over hurdles he ll take a lot of beating ...... his 1 length second to samain on debut  with over 10 lengths back to the third sticks out to me ..... samain is probably one of the best bumper horses from last season and that race was run on heavy ground .... liked the way he won at galway last time and law rebel who was second won next time . ...
Report dinglemick September 16, 2011 4:33 PM BST
sorry lapsy didn t see your two tips and they both won [:D][:D] well done .......hope you doubled them !!!
Report punchestown September 16, 2011 4:40 PM BST
A proper N H thread this one,well done all,top tipping lapsy,Cairdin will be a tough enough nut to crack here,think I'll sit this one out.
Report workrider September 16, 2011 4:40 PM BST
well done lads great tipping ..exactly what this forum needs....
Report lapsy pa September 16, 2011 4:40 PM BST
Thanks Mick,two singles,too long since i had a double up,
Your one earlier didn,t have to find a lot inside the last fur to win.
I,m enjoying the racing there,fine meeting.
Report dinglemick September 16, 2011 4:59 PM BST
seconditis for me today Sad......winner won well ..... wouldn t loose faith in cairdin thought he  jumped well ......also thought danny mullins was asking it to make up too much on ground that bad Sad
Report Santry September 16, 2011 5:11 PM BST
Feel if that race was run again Cairdin would win . Mullins left the horse a lot to do and for a horse having first run over hurdles had him behind a wall of horses at every flight.
Report punchestown September 16, 2011 5:15 PM BST
Cairdin very promising alright,tempted to back For Bill here but the market is all over the place.
Report dinglemick September 16, 2011 5:16 PM BST
don t want to sound like i m talking through my pocket but watched it back there santry  , he had him only 8th turning for home ......an awful lot to make up on the winner who was up in the van turning in ....
Report dinglemick September 16, 2011 5:17 PM BST
punchestown , arthur moore just said on TG4 he is extremelly worried about the ground for free world .... should give u more confidence to back for bill
Report punchestown September 16, 2011 5:23 PM BST
Caeberry got a nice tune out of her at Thurles so we'll see,I wonder did Davy have a choice of the two here?
Report punchestown September 16, 2011 5:25 PM BST
Carberry even.
Report Santry September 16, 2011 5:33 PM BST
For Bills jumping cost her the race.
Report lapsy pa September 16, 2011 5:41 PM BST
Agree with that, early mistake seemed to frighten her,thought Carberry did well to try and give her confidence back.
Report punchestown September 17, 2011 2:59 AM BST
Can't argue with either of the last 2 posts,she was closing rapid at the finish.
Report Swinia September 17, 2011 7:05 AM BST
The race that interests me today is the Novice Chase and the two to concentrate on are (un)lucky william and sorceror. These two are experienced Novices that has ran against some top class company - lucky william was running a mighty race in the Drinmore last year but for a fall. For me the race to concentrate on was the one in Naas where Lucky William should have won but for Jockey error...Paddy Flood pulled him off the rails to round Carberrys mount and once he thought he'd won the horse stopped leaving the race to the late finishing Kakagh. The unlucky horse was sorceror who had to be dramatically snatched up when making its run, he has been running in top class novice company finishing close to the likes or River Liane, An Caothair Mor, Captain Cee Bee etc

i can't have arch rebel he looks like one thats declining, son of oscar hasn't run in near as good a races (2nd in a graded chase in gal was lucky) and jim bowie is likely to be given an easy time of it...........

decent win bet lucky william, reverse forecast as saver

gl allCool
Report Giant Strides September 17, 2011 7:54 AM BST
Cancelled
Report Giant Strides September 17, 2011 8:00 AM BST
And good riddance to all those farcical Irish summer"ish" festivals for another year.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan September 17, 2011 10:32 AM BST
Stamf...."Patsy Byrne loves a winner in Listowel"

Roll on the 8th in Newmarket (20's with VC) Devil
Report Stamford Bridge September 17, 2011 2:49 PM BST
Yes so thats Listowel 2011 done and dusted. I started this thread talking about the meeting signal the start of the National hunt season proper.
I'd have to say the quality horses didn't really come out to play like we have seen in recent times. the standard of bumpers this week was poor with the exception of SAINT GERVAIS we didn't really see a quality bumper winner or any eyecatchers. Overall I'd say the horse to take out of the meeting is the mare FOR BILL. She clearly was well short of fitness and considering it was her first try outside of mares company she ran a blinder. I don't know who backed her but connections were very up front about her being at least 3 weeks behind. Yet she'd have won in another 50 yards and her jumping at this level was untested,she's usually a superb jumper but she was given a lesson by that excellent jumper FINGERONTHEPULSE. But FOR BILL will win a big pot this season,she loves testing ground. I see her wining a big pot and there are a number of valuable conditions races in Clonmel that are tailor made for her.
BLACK BENNY was the most impressive maiden hurdle winner and should win a few more without perhaps being top class. CAIRDIN got a poor ride yesterday anyone who has watched the races this week will have seen the bulk of the hurdle races won from horses lying handy. I accept CAIRDIN is a hard ride,but if Danny Mullins had watched a video of his Roscommon bumper defeat,he'd have seen that all this horse does is stay,so to get behind on a sharp track and give the leaders first run was criminal. So perhaps connections should ride this horse handier and maybe consider making the running(a pair of blinkers might be a help too !)
He will win a maiden hurdle though on a stiffer track but has a bit of an attitude.(haven't we all)
Overall a festival lacking in real quality I think a lot of punters were glad it was called off today. clearly 7 days of racing is no longer feasible here. A 4 or 5 Day National Hunt festival here would be sufficent. Sunday to Wednesday or Thursday would be enough. As they say in Listowel every year Slan Abhaile !!!Grin
Report Princesse D'Anjou September 17, 2011 10:48 PM BST
Good write up Stamford Bridge - was racing in France for part of the Festival so no real chance to look at the racing, would have flown home for some of the Irish Racing.com tissue price on Saint Gervais though!! Laugh
Report Stamford Bridge September 18, 2011 10:54 AM BST
Ye if only some of the guys in the Racing Post or Irish Racing.Com were odds compilers we'd really make the game pay. If these guys are experts in their field's then I'm an Alien ! Their tissue prices are a joke !

Standards on the Irish racing scene have really dropped in the Irish Racing Post. There might be more quantity but the quality is sadly lacking. I'll accept that their coverage of GAA is excellent although too mant bluffers in here too,but I'd still give it a 9/10.

But for racing they've gone backwards,I know lots of guys who don't bother with it ! I tend to read it after racing now -Enough said !
Report Catch Me ifyoucan September 18, 2011 12:27 PM BST
Stam,
Another 'wan to watch' for me is Allied Answer while not in the code of 'proper National hunt racing'.
Report Stamford Bridge September 18, 2011 1:20 PM BST
Yes of the flat horses that the jumping boys will be interested in  Allied Answer looks a certain 3 year old hurdler in the making,while I doubt if the Oxx horse beaten in that race will make the grade over jumps WAKHAAN has a questionable temperament !
Bancnuanaheireann Jim Bolgers maiden winner on Thursday might be of interest too (where was he hiding-pi**ed up in an admitedly weak maiden,but looke very smart ! by CHEVALIER he has sired a few national hunt performers of note Michael Scuadamore's prolific mare Ambrose Princess and Tony Martin's REDERA spring to mind!
Report GANT007 September 18, 2011 1:57 PM BST
The 2 horses could be in the South Liberties GAA club colours by the end of the month.
Report Stamford Bridge September 18, 2011 6:49 PM BST
You'd never know- you could be right..McManus bought MORNING IRELAND out of Bolger's yard  lately.. You'd imagine he'll have first refusal on ALLIED ANSWER too being a Wachman inmate !
Report GANT007 September 18, 2011 9:37 PM BST
His team are on a serious re-stocking mission.
Report Stamford Bridge September 18, 2011 9:54 PM BST
Yeah in need of some quality..He hasn't really got any  classy horses that are on the upgrade. BINNOCULAR is still his best horse but he's been exposed as a substandard Champion Hurdle winner by the HURRICANE !

He's too interested in landing strokes and getting horses handicapped. Most trainers who have a nice bumper horse like to go the maiden hurdle route and than try to progress into Grade Company. In contrast McManus bumper winners often go the scenic 3 run route to get a mark.

Be interesting to see if they try with BALLYHOURA tommorow in the [;)]opener.
Report soapp September 19, 2011 6:45 PM BST
Refixed for Friday.
Report Stamford Bridge September 20, 2011 11:53 PM BST
So we will get a chance to Slan Abhaile for 2011 to Listowel this Friday....
I note LUSKA LAD now not declared for the Farewell (SlanAbhaile Race) He would have run Saturday..REBEL FITZ a costly failure in Galway is entered now along with TAVERN TIMES who was cast in his Box last week when due to run in Wednesday'sNovice Hurdle on Kerry National Day..PITTONI will still be hard to beat but Charles Byrnes has had a history in this race of giving horses quiet and controversial rides..PITTONI himself last yearth (mid-division early, dropped to rear halfway, moderate 11th early straight, switched to outer and ran on inside final furlong) And of course more famously in 2008 SOLWHIT finished a never counted 9th after drifting like a barge pole . He was as dead as Charles Stewart Parnell - (mid-division best, towards rear and no danger from before straight)
Fridays meeting will have a tiny crowd and a non existent on course market...But this will be an interesting punting race.... [:x]
Report Stamford Bridge September 21, 2011 6:17 PM BST
RUN WITH THE WIND I noted that he skipped an easy maiden on Monday  in Balinrobe after his shock win at the Listowel festival last week..He clearly had problems(Colic) so connections might feel that a few extra days break might suit,I note he's back entered in Listowel's maiden hurdle Friday..I wonder if Patsy Byrne's  BUY BACK BOB and Denis Cullen's ex French horse MUNDHER will stand there ground. Could be a fair race.DUC DE SAVOIE is entered but looked a non stayer here last week.
Report Stamford Bridge September 22, 2011 1:16 PM BST
Just looking through the Overnight declarations for Listowel (Day 7 A week later) As I sugested "The Slan Abhaile Race" has attracted Charles Byrne's yet again...It looks a penalty kick only FALSE ECONOMY to beat..Byrnes has bad history in this race with horses geting virtual schools around....SOLWHIT+PITTONI were both given tender rides and drifted alarmingly. Will be under siege .........
Think PITTONI will go off 2/9
Report neill d September 22, 2011 5:54 PM BST
Pittoni could have a very good year this year, he could do very well in staying hurdles.
Report lapsy pa September 23, 2011 1:15 PM BST
Long festival alright,its on anyway though looks as if its going to be a slog with the ground.
2.00 Duc de savoie
Agree with op,altough looks the classiest in the lineup but last time out here looked as if he struggled to get the trip,a small place lay for me.
2.30 Leah Claire.
Well fancied here on the forum last time,she ran a good race just failing to quicken after the last,up a few pound for that,still looks a bit better than these,small win at around 11/4
4.15 D,s trix
Didn,t seem to get too hard a race when his chance of winning was gone,Cerveza dinero going okay when fell in the same race after a couple of slight mistakes,Shark(I know as usual)talked up Ardglen very confidently on atr and i suppose with good reason as he looks progressive.At around 14/1 hoping for a place with selection.
Thought T.Stacks runner at Wolves tonight was very short,place lay in that.
Good luck if having a punt today.
Report Stamford Bridge September 23, 2011 1:24 PM BST
Fair Card Today....
The opener might see a second Listowel Festival victory for RUN WITH THE WIND. (If you can call today festival a week later)
Trainers are often creatures of habit and Michael Houtigan has a good record in this race as you'll nee below !
2008 Born High 4 11-5 T J Doyle 2/1Fav (Michael Hourigan)
2007 Tom Doodle 6 11-12 R Walsh 11/4 (Michael Hourigan)

Run With The Wind sprang a 33/1 surprise in the FBD Insurance Handicap over a mile and six last week at 33/1, He travelled well throughout and loved the ground. The 5yo son of Sadler's Wells had one win to his name before coming in a point-to-point at Rathcannon in September of last year.
He ran in three maiden hurdles in January and February of this year his best effort a close up 5th of 22 behind Noel Browne a race which featured John Queally's much hyped FLYING LIGHT(just beaten)

After last week's flat victory Winning trainer Michael Hourigan said "He is lucky to be alive as he had a major operation about four months ago for colic. It was life or death. Well they bypassed a penalty kick at Balinrobe on Monday to come back here for a better first prize of - €8,280.00 which is over 3K more than he'd have got for the trip to Co Mayo+the extra petrol bill. I think Barry Geraghty's booking is a clincher and he looks a good thing to be ridden handy and make most or at least sit quite close (stays well). I backed him at 3/1 and 11/4. DUC DE SAVOIE cost me dearly last week and I thought he looked a suspect stayer. I'd have to respect his connections but its a slight worry that he's run out of fuel in Cork and Listowel over hurdles. ITS IRONIC was beaten over 3miles and drops back majorly to 2miles. He has been punted before and with Paul Townend up might be the main threat he has run well over 2 miles and won a fair Gowran bumper. MUNDHER probably wants Summer ground and takes an age to get going. I felt Owega Star was flattered in the Winners bumper,bar the winner that looked a weak renewal,he is rated by connections but has been troublesome at the start previously. Shark's yard is buzzing but maybe today is the 3rd run to qualify for a mark for last week's eyecatcher in mid pack History: De Oro who ran well behind BLACK BENNY. He's been nibbled at 18/1 to 10 in places but maybe he is just out for that one last qualifying run.
For me it's RUN WITH THE WIND who was big at 3/1 this morning.
LUCKY WILLIAM as a second season novice enjoys a huge experience edge on some moderate rivals and he looks a good thing at around 10/11 in the 3-40 the
"Allman Contracts Limited Beginners Steeplechase".Clearly connections decided to keep him a novice for this year after some unlucky runs early last season. He had the race in Tipp won when he exited to leave BREMEN the luclest winner all season. His 2nds to SALUODOS and KAKAGH were top class form and he really looks one to smash into at close to Evens. I make him a 4/6 chance and thought it was bar a fall. He actually jumps well despite a few exits last term.
PITTONI looks a moral but is priced accordingly and note his trainers misdemeanours in this SLAN ABHAILE RACE down the years with both SOLWHIT and today's long odds on chance.

She Ranks Me looks a classy mare and might have an edge over her rivals in the mares bumper if she can handle the ground.Willie's newcomer SUPREME CAQROLINA and John Joe walsh's mare High Class Show make this a virtual 3 horse race. Betting market will be key to the Mullin's mare.
Have a good day RUN WITH THE WIND at 3/1 and 11/4 +LUCKY WILLIAM hopefully around Evs my 2 throw's......
Report Stamford Bridge September 23, 2011 3:05 PM BST
Owega Star looked a fair horse in the opener-makes you wonder how good SAINT GERVAIS is. He laughed at him last week here,so credit OWEGA STAR who was supported late. My punt on RUN WITH THE WIND looked a possibilty turning in,but the winner always went better. Felt Geraghty might have made more use of a horse who stayed 14Furlongs on the flat which usually translates to 2 1/2mile to 3 over hurdles. I think Hourigan will raid the North to win with this lad.
DUC DE SAVOIE was just schooled around,I'd say Weld is happy he has achieved a mark now and he'll try and win a h'cap with him perhaps next summer in Galway. But he was put to sleep today and never counted .The market told you HE couldn't WIN..
Report Princesse D'Anjou September 23, 2011 3:19 PM BST
For those who subscribe to the theory that horses come good at certain times of the year Run With The Wind won a Maiden P2P at the opening meeting of the season at Rathcannon last year (that meeting takes place on Sunday)
Report Stamford Bridge September 23, 2011 3:22 PM BST
Yeah I think he'll win a race all right maybe over 21/2miles and probably a weak affair up in Downpatrivk or the like !
Report Swinia September 23, 2011 4:23 PM BST
Swinia     17 Sep 11 07:05 
The race that interests me today is the Novice Chase and the two to concentrate on are (un)lucky william and sorceror. These two are experienced Novices that has ran against some top class company - lucky william was running a mighty race in the Drinmore last year but for a fall. For me the race to concentrate on was the one in Naas where Lucky William should have won but for Jockey error...Paddy Flood pulled him off the rails to round Carberrys mount and once he thought he'd won the horse stopped leaving the race to the late finishing Kakagh. The unlucky horse was sorceror who had to be dramatically snatched up when making its run, he has been running in top class novice company finishing close to the likes or River Liane, An Caothair Mor, Captain Cee Bee etc

i can't have arch rebel he looks like one thats declining, son of oscar hasn't run in near as good a races (2nd in a graded chase in gal was lucky) and jim bowie is likely to be given an easy time of it...........

decent win bet lucky william, reverse forecast as saver

gl all

Laughboth came out and won since
Report Stamford Bridge September 23, 2011 5:16 PM BST
I thought Cooper was excellent on Lucky William..He ensured he was careful over his fences,kept a tight hold of him and although he wasn't as bold a jumper as FORJOETHEPLUMMER he had the last laugh as he paid the penalty for his bravery at the last.LUCKY WILLIAM deserved a race after the Tipp experience last year. He was always hacking double over these. The SHARK O Hanlon continues to be on Fire with ARDGLEN dancing in...Some operator and everyone under-rated him
Report soapp September 23, 2011 5:40 PM BST
Too many jollys won for my liking today. Cry
Report wildmanfromborneo September 23, 2011 5:41 PM BST
The Shark is a genial character but the girl there,Rachel O`Neill i think,is the genius behind the operation.Apparently a natural with horses and a miller to work.The purchase of Alpha Beat was brave and brilliant as i would have thought it impossible to improve them from there.
Report Stamford Bridge September 25, 2011 8:05 PM BST
Sure was...Yeah Shark continued on fire today with    
Ardglen completing a 6 Day hat trick.I'd agree Rachel O'Neill is the vital cog in the wheel that is The O'Hanlon Operation...
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 6, 2011 9:35 PM BST
Have you backed BUY BACK BOB - 16/1 for the Cesarewitch (3.50 on Sat) - W.Lordan rides.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com