Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Stamford Bridge
07 Sep 11 21:10
| Topic/replies: 186 | Blogger: Stamford Bridge's blog
The upcoming Listowel festival traditionally signals the re-introduction of proper National hunt racing. We often see a few smart types make their hurdling and chasing debuts here. In recent years smart horses like LOOSEN MY LOAD have won their maiden hurdle and taken a novice chase on route to better things (3rd Cheltenham in Jewson Novices 'Chase  a Grade 2). Just glancing through the entries for Sunday's "Cheestrings Beginners Steeplechase" the one that leaps off the page is WHITE STAR LINE trained by Dessie Hughes for the intrepid exiled Kerry man Patsy Byrne. This son of Saddlers Hall was a smart hurdler last term narrowly landing his maiden hurdle at Naas in January from DUN MASC. But it was his superb 2nd behind Cheltenham "NEPTUNE INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT NOVICES' HURDLE" winner FIRST LIETENANT that really stood out as well as a close 2nd to another Cheltenham winner SIR DES CHAMPS. He'd eat these alive on Sunday if fully tuned up and provided he's schooled well. Patsy Byrne loves a winner in Listowel,SALUTE HIM won for him last year and if you see good money for this horse Sunday he could be a serious punt. He's a lazy horse only does enough but runs well fresh so might be primed for Sunday.

Nothing much stands out among the other entries over the first 2 days. Although Dot Love's easy Galway winner SHADOW EILE might land the Mares  Hurdle on Monday which is a valuable prize for a weak race. She won on ground faster than she likes in Galway. That was a poor race but she jumped and travelled super and will relish softer ground.She's no slouch and mixed it with fair types in bumpers.he won her bumper at Down Royal in March beating the smart Giant's Quest and finished second to Samian in another bumper at the Curragh. Her owner Sean Reilly, who is from Mullingar won't sell her at any price I'm told.She is a full-sister to a useful but enigmatic type in Corskeagh Royale, who was also bred by winning Mullingar owner Sean Reilly.

So let the games begin. The real N-H horses are coming out to play. Beats trying to second guess The Ballydoyle/Tabor/Magnier combinations when multi-handed in maidens ! (Impossible) [;)]

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 150
By:
Giant Strides
When: 07 Sep 11 21:24
You`re a bit of a legend around these parts SB. They must have been an impressive quartet of posts!!! Shocked
By:
one last chance
When: 07 Sep 11 21:57
good 2 see ya back stamford
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 07 Sep 11 21:59
Never went away-Just an observer of the Forums these days. Don't post anymore ! [:x]
By:
kavvie
When: 07 Sep 11 22:05
the maestro returns!!welcome
By:
Allduckornodinner
When: 07 Sep 11 22:06
One Patsy Byrne owned horse to watch for next week is Buy Back Bob. A talented flat performer by the very good Big Bad Bob he was bought for 140,000 gns at the Newmarket sales by his new connections. His first run resulted in a promising showing in a mallow maiden hurdle where the overriding impression was that there was plenty more to come. I'm unsure whether he qualifies for the Slan Abhaile and if not I would imagine a maiden hurdle would be the target. Wherever he turns up he will take a lot of beating.

Another horse with local connections is the Christy Roche trained Deep Determination. He is entered in a bumper at the start of the week and while I wouldn't personally be especially bullish about him if the ground is soft he is likely to have plenty of supporters.
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 07 Sep 11 22:30
Yeah BIG BAD BOB ran well in Cork(And was quietly fancied) although bar the first 2 that was a weak race in general. However Ger Lyons was reluctant to run him on soft ground when he had him. I remember they went for a big touch on him first time as a 2 Year Old and were unlucky not to draw.He's a big horse and has taken his time to fill out but remains a smart prospect.Whether he goes the handicap route or whether they try to win a maiden hurdle is the question. But as I say bar REBEL FITZ and bridle horse PARK RANGER that Cork race lacked strength in depth
By:
donal
When: 07 Sep 11 22:50
Listowel is a pain in the arse of a Festival for numerous reasons:

1) It goes on too long, by the end of the week you'd be sick of it.
2) Its in Kerry. Where a lot of the people are half civilised!!
3) The racing isn't that good, the main race is the Kerry National, name another decent race down there.
4) Summer is over!! Stop trying to drag it out with another fcu-king Festival!
5) Can throw up some odd winners.
By:
thefly10
When: 07 Sep 11 23:16
Very good post Stamford Bridge. I'm told Willie Mullins will win the bumper on Sunday but why bother backing a 4/6 fav.
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 07 Sep 11 23:46
Yeah Willie Mullins Local Celebrity just beaten by Mondays Roscommon maiden hurdle winner MADAM BOVARY in Sligo. That foiled Willie a four timer in the last race at Sligo that night. Usually Sligo form isn't great but that form has been boosted ! He also has entered Robin Angevin - twice beaten in Galway- and looked a right dog there last time ! He never settled and had a horrible head carriage. Previously got an over confident ride from Patrick albeit he found less than anticipated once off the bridle ! Black Zorro and Winslet are other noteworthy entries but its hardly a strong bumper. Usually Listowel has a few decent bumper winners !
By:
thefly10
When: 08 Sep 11 00:40
Goodstuff Stamford! Local Celebrity looks useful and the form reads well. I backed Robin Angevin at the Galway festival and I would agree with your comments ..hes not genuine. Indeed, traditionally Listowel does have a few decent bumpers, one who comes to mind is Some Slam a couple of years ago owned by Paul Duffin, I remember getting word for it and it won by 5 or 6l. Hope to get down there for a few days, always a good buzz with the AI final on the Sunday.
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 08 Sep 11 12:21
Stamford Bridge i like your well thought out and reasoned post but find myself in agreement with Giant Strides your first four posts on here must have been something else.In any post on old forumites your name comes up in whispered reverential tones,almost Kaiser Sousa like,the four must have resembled Keen Leaders classic post.
I would never bet odds on Local Celebrity and whilst Madam Bovary came out and won a Roscommon maiden hurdle on heavy ground doubt if that form will stand up.
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 08 Sep 11 12:48
Yeah Wildmanfromborneo - I certainly wouldn't bet odds on LOCAL CELEBRITY either-unless it cut up into a Boat Race (Not a great fan of bumpers anyway- they are invariably the saviour of the Bookmaker). My comment was that by Listowel standards the Bumper entries on Sunday and Monday are poor quality wise,usually you get smart bumper winners coming out of The Harvest Festival. I doubt LOCAL CELEBRITY will be odds on,punting Patrick Mullins at skinny fractions should carry a Government Health warning of major proportions...
By:
The Gotchee
When: 08 Sep 11 13:01
Stamford Bridge Joined: 30 Jun 07
Replies: 9 07 Sep 11 22:30 
Yeah BIG BAD BOB ran well in Cork(And was quietly fancied) although bar the first 2 that was a weak race in general.

Didn't realise BIG BAD BOB has given up his stallion duties at the NationaL Stud..................................We were missing these nuggets of information for so long. Great stuff SB welcome back.Grin
By:
bobbybocala
When: 08 Sep 11 14:25
great to have you back stamford..just be carefull of a few newbies on here ..especially the wildclown ...never wrong and thinks he knows it all...
By:
soapp
When: 08 Sep 11 18:27
The Mullins bumper horses would have one in the poor house at the moment.

Going back a few years more than I care to remember, I had backed the subsequently brilliant Buck House to win his bumper down there. As per usual at that time I used watch the last race from the house at the 4 or 5 furlong marker in order to make a quick get away. I had the binoculars upand as he turned into the straight I was counting my money. Lo and behold I think Fenton was on it but not sure he took a look over his shoulder and just at that moment he jinked and ran out. What a sickener. Cry
I don't think we will have that class of a bumper horse this week.

Of course I remember Bregawn the winning the Slan Abhaile at 25/1 from the same place a few years after winning the Gold Cup.

Them's were the days.

Wed to sat for me this year. Cool
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 08 Sep 11 18:51
Gordon Elliott's Martin Scruff - entered on Thursday (presume the 'over confident' Carberry will ride again [:x]
By:
ambush
When: 09 Sep 11 02:49
recall bregawn being fav for kerry nat and refused to race that year.
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 09 Sep 11 12:09
Just glancing through the declarations out for Listowel Sunday. The weather obviously will play its part as to what kinda ground we'll get-with a mixture of summer Jumpers and proper Winter horses coming back onto the track -both types clearly will want different types of ground !
2-30-Dawn Omega Milk 3-Y-O Hurdle
Jessica Harrington won this last year and has 2 declared.The Quiet Hawk was surprise winner in Killarney and many will remember Why But Why geting mugged on the line in roscommon having looked home and hosed. He's dissapointed on the flat since but looked a surefire hurdle winner after roscommon. Ground is key to him-was taken out at this meeting last year due to soft ground.Ex Luca Cummani Chill is an interesting runner for Dessie Hughes and might give us an idea of how forward the Yard's inmates are.Chill clearly handles cut won a maiden on heavy ground in Warwick. Not a strong
contest but the ground will be key and market will be informative.

3-20Charleville Cheese Maiden Hurdle
Trabajo is interesting having won his bumper here and been second to a smart bumpwer winner up north Fair run in Cork too over hurdles. A few other possibles here but must take a closer  look later at the card in greater detail..

Glad to note WHITE STAR LINE declared his travels in the Market will indicate if he's ready to deliver on an eagerly awaited Chasing Debut !
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 09 Sep 11 12:15
Keep an eye on D T Hughes (and 'the local' Cooper) for the week Devil
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 09 Sep 11 14:54
Yes Dessie Hughes remains consistently a top National Hunt trainer and in young Cooper might have unearthed a fine young talent. It will be interesting to see how his horses perform Sunday and if they are punted.
Looking at that novice chase it should be the best race on the card and probably the best punting contest
Cheestrings Beginners Steeplechase
White Star Line as I mentioned at the top of the Post is clearly the best prospect in the race. The key will be if he's fully tuned up but he has run well fresh in the past and his 2nd over hurdles to two subsequent CheltenhamFestival winners puts him over all of these. As I say market will speak volumnes about his chance but he could be the real deal if fully tuned and might be hard to beat.
Like last years winner of this contest(ESSEX)  De Valira has taken up chasing late in the day. He jumped slowly early on in Killarney and took an age to get going but was nearest at the finish to the shock winner Delphi Mountain. this is more his trip nowadays but he didn't look a natural to me.
Blazing Beacon has always looked a real chaser and his wins over hurdles were a bonus. He attacks his hurdles with relish so should be an exciting front runner over fences,he won't want much rain. But if they aren't out to get him handicaped he could give a fair account of himself provided its not too testing ! But the trainer has struggled for form in recent times.Forjoetheplumber has been off over a year so it would be a super training performance to win. Russian War probably has a fair chance but again ground is key for him.

It would be hard to face Robin Angevin in the bumper at a short price after a dogs display in Galway,he never settled and looked to have a horrible head carriage too. Mike Frazer shaped well behind Maller Tree in Bellewstown and wasn't fancied that night so with Swan having had a rare bumper winner on Monday in roscommon this son of Barathea might be capable of a big ru,he won't mind any rain and this conventional track will be more his cup of tea and Nina carberry another plus.By Listowel standards its a shocker of a bumper (quality wise!)
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 09 Sep 11 14:54
Yes Dessie Hughes remains consistently a top National Hunt trainer and in young Cooper might have unearthed a fine young talent. It will be interesting to see how his horses perform Sunday and if they are punted.
Looking at that novice chase it should be the best race on the card and probably the best punting contest
Cheestrings Beginners Steeplechase
White Star Line as I mentioned at the top of the Post is clearly the best prospect in the race. The key will be if he's fully tuned up but he has run well fresh in the past and his 2nd over hurdles to two subsequent CheltenhamFestival winners puts him over all of these. As I say market will speak volumnes about his chance but he could be the real deal if fully tuned and might be hard to beat.
Like last years winner of this contest(ESSEX)  De Valira has taken up chasing late in the day. He jumped slowly early on in Killarney and took an age to get going but was nearest at the finish to the shock winner Delphi Mountain. this is more his trip nowadays but he didn't look a natural to me.
Blazing Beacon has always looked a real chaser and his wins over hurdles were a bonus. He attacks his hurdles with relish so should be an exciting front runner over fences,he won't want much rain. But if they aren't out to get him handicaped he could give a fair account of himself provided its not too testing ! But the trainer has struggled for form in recent times.Forjoetheplumber has been off over a year so it would be a super training performance to win. Russian War probably has a fair chance but again ground is key for him.

It would be hard to face Robin Angevin in the bumper at a short price after a dogs display in Galway,he never settled and looked to have a horrible head carriage too. Mike Frazer shaped well behind Maller Tree in Bellewstown and wasn't fancied that night so with Swan having had a rare bumper winner on Monday in roscommon this son of Barathea might be capable of a big ru,he won't mind any rain and this conventional track will be more his cup of tea and Nina carberry another plus.By Listowel standards its a shocker of a bumper (quality wise!)
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 09 Sep 11 20:26
Looks like the winter weather is here for Listowel...gona be a wet weekend so ground gona be soft there and well churned up by Friday. The books hated Listowel with good ground as the results used to be a Punters Paradise but could get a few funny results next week now. but perfect ground for good jumpers coming back-no risk of jar or geting a bad injury ! even ruby's back buoyed by the weather (Softer landings on the turf !) Hopefully he's due a good spell injury free-deserves a break !
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 09 Sep 11 23:23
Black Benny a very smart Bumper horse is entered during the Week in a few maiden hurdles. The ground he requires is good although he did win on soft enough ground in Thurles for previous trainer-Joe fogarty.He inhaled mud at Clonmel one day when they fancied him and stopped more or less after thus his big SP in Thurles.
Now with Barry Connell and Shane Broderick,he was a fine 3rd in Punchestown in arguably the 2nd best bumper run here all year. The dogs were barking about a brilliant gallop he did with Luska Lad up The Curragh prior to Galway,and he duly won well at a generous SP of 7/4 in a poor race.
Other interesting hurdling entrants in Tuesday and Wednesday's maiden hurdles include Steps To Freedom a very smart bumper horse who won't want much rain (so not looking good). He's been running well on the flat too this summer and Jessica Harrington will have him schooled to perfection.

On the chasing front Thursday's Kevin McManus Beginners Steeplechase has attracted local horse SON AMIX among the entries. he'd eat these over hurdles (rated 140) and if he runs he'd be a huge fancy. Also JAKROS looks a nice chasing recruit but he has 17lbs to find with SON AMIX who I feel might be a top class chaser. The yards novices usually jump well.
By:
workrider
When: 09 Sep 11 23:34
would love to see sonamix over fences , he could be a very exciting novice this year....
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 10 Sep 11 13:55
Cooper's Noel Browne gets in-side the ballot too.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 11 Sep 11 10:36
Listowel Stakes (Listed Stakes !)- a first for Listowel - will we see Mark Johnston on a Fox Hunt around Listowel ?

Will Ruby Salute Him ('the intrepid exiled Kerry man Patsy Byrne') today after his only ride today ?
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 11 Sep 11 13:02
Well its arrived day 1 Listowel and ground is going to be key here. Yhe offical description is (Soft and Yielding for a furlong in the back
straight)
In the first race if it is testing it might negate against the best flat horse in the race Why But Why who got mugged close home in Roscommon on his hurdling debut. He's the best horse in the race but was taken out here 12 months ago because of soft ground. The 2 dangers are his stable companion THE QUIET HAWK not as good on the flat but clearly rejuvenated by a switch to hurdling as he impressed on soft ground in Killarney. CHILL is a smart enough recruit (ex Luca Cummani)he'll relish the ground won a maiden in Warwick on heavy ground and that is a track that gets very testing after rain. Money for him would be significant. Hard to see outside that trio. But market will be key here and mightn't be a huge surprise to see the favourite taken out if its very soft !

In the second race Ruby is back riding Tony Martin trained Patsy Byrne owned SALUTE HIM .He danced in here last year was hugely impressive,but a cautionary note.After that win Martin said " He has got great gears but the driver was vitally important(RUBY). He needed to be very patient," "The ground went against him plenty of times. He can't operate on anything worse than yielding
So clearly two things are key to him a patient ride from a master and ground no worse than yielding. I think we'll know more about the ground after race one. Could be a tactical contest as PLAN A is often produced late too as we saw on Thyestes day in typical Carberry Mode (cheeky cheeky).He will handle the ground for sure. Dessie Hughes mare DEFINITE CLASS might need the run.

I've had two bets this morning I've made no secret that I think WHITE STAR LINE is a proper horse the question is how ready he is for his chasing debut. I gather he's schooled well and has a smart upcoming pilot on board. If this was a hurdle race he'd be 13/8 after his two     great runs behind  FIRST LIEUTENANT (Punchestown) and SIR DES CHAMPS(Naas). You'd like to see money for him knowing connections like a punt. But I've jumped the gun and backed him E.W at 5/1. Granted a clear round its hard to see him out of the first three and I'd like to think he could beat these even operating at 95%.

I also backed TRABAJO at 9/4 and 2/1 in 3-30(Still with Ladbrokes) who I gave a favourable shout to earlier in the post . His 2nd in Cork to Sligo was clearly to have him cherry ripe for today. He's owned by Cork lads exiled in Spain. The plan I gather has been today ever since he won a bumper here in June. his second to the smart DONATIS COMET conceding weight was as good as a win. He stays jumps and significantly has Andrew McNammara booked today,no disrespect to Kenny Whelan who rode him the last day.The slight concern is the ground,he's best on good to yielding and would be odds on but for the rain. I was still amazed they went 9/4+2/1 but as I say the ground isn't ideal. Its a poor race,I accept that 3mile maiden hurdles often throw up beano results for the layers but I think TRABAJO'S class can see him through.He is superbly bred and closely related to that superb stayer WICHITA LINEMAN and to the classy wonder horse RHINESTONE COWBOY who never quite lived up to his home reputation.
Thats my two speculative punts WHITE STAR LINE E.W 5/1
                               TRABAJO win 9/4 and 2/1(He has tightened up now and there will be a Rule 4 of 10c on my plays on him should the Shark's charge win.Best of luck.....
"
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 11 Sep 11 14:31
Quick glance at tomorrow's card. SWERVE an interesting contender in the first. Ran well for a long way behind CRUSADE in a very hot Curragh Maiden.Has a plum draw in stall 1. SHADOW EILE has only 2 to beat in the fillies hurdle race an over priced purse for mainly moderate mares.Swans mare and Bowe's mare the threat to the Galway punt of Dot Love.

The first about to go off has a Harrington monopoly,the 2nd fav was probably an each way bet to nothing at 9/2 but is tight now .as I say looked between first 3-Major Ground issues with the jolly but is classy type !
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 11 Sep 11 14:36
Oliver Brady lands the first  in Listowel...Hope hes there to cheer+ sing in the winner in the enclosure !
By:
workrider
When: 11 Sep 11 15:13
backed salute him there ...should have read your post stamford...Sad i'm getting lazy and not doing my homework...
By:
kavvie
When: 11 Sep 11 15:46
did oliver give his usual performance in the ring after the race?..it didnt show him sadly on atr!!good man stamford..i followed you in on sharks..
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 12 Sep 11 08:15
Ye not a bad start with Sharks doing the business for us 9/4+2/1
(Rule 4 10c) a bit unlucky that WHITE STAR LINE didn't hold onto 3rd place and save the EW bet(4th) travelled great but maybe got tired in the draining ground. But in profit after TRABAJO.

It must be doubtful going ahead today (High Winds)Plus ground already very testing (After 1 Day !)
By:
ya' havin' that one dave
When: 12 Sep 11 08:26
one bet today hurricane ridge will improve a lot for debut and will handle the ground better than most
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 12 Sep 11 09:20
Aptly named given the day that's in it. This Nursery often throws up Group horses and some of those didn't even win this valuable 2 year old handicap,
Question is will High Winds stop the Meeting !
By:
ya' havin' that one dave
When: 12 Sep 11 09:22
would be nice if one of the many useless irish journos that are on the racing post website could tell us sumtin nearly 930 and no word
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 12 Sep 11 09:51
Lady Geronimo 3.45 at 10/1 with lads will be the only bet for me on this card if it goes ahead. 7 lbs better off with French Quebec today, and the form of that Killarney maiden working out well as the Weld horse that was in 2nd that day came out and won in the curragh Saturday. The form of the jolly does not look particularly strong, with the o Brien horse that was second to it at Killarney running terrible at the curragh at the weekend. At 10/1 that will do for me on lady geronimo. Best of luck
By:
ya' havin' that one dave
When: 12 Sep 11 09:53
geronimo of interest at weights but hurricane could be special
By:
Stamford Bridge
When: 12 Sep 11 11:47
I thought the testing ground made it difficult to play on the flat card and I felt SHADOW EILE was the DOT (no pun intended )on the card and at Evs+10/11 I felt she was fair value. She was impressive in Galway on ground faster than she likes and she ran in smart bumper company beating the much touted GIANTS QUEST and her 2nd to SAMAIn is different gravy to what this crew have engaged in.
I felt yesterday Bowes and swans were the only possible threats but having looked through it I had tiny saver on MEITHEAMH runner up in this 12 Months ago and despite a long absence has smart pieces of form. Her yard can ready them fresh and Barry Geraghty isn't a half bad booking. Her second to ONEEIGHTOFAMILE reads well in this company..It could be too short for Bowes runner and swans was flattered in gowran albeit in smart race by this standard!
SHADOW EILE was my lone punt today at EVS+10/11
(5/6 best now)
Tiny saver on MEITHEAMH 10/1
By:
neill d
When: 12 Sep 11 15:45
Johnny said there was more in French Quebec
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply