Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
timidpeopleruleok
09 Jul 11 21:44
| Topic/replies: 69 | Blogger: timidpeopleruleok's blog
They will win another All-Ireland before
(1) Wexford.. cant be motivated, win the All-Ireland every year in the pub before a ball is thrown in in the championship, need Liam Griffin back to ressurect them.
(2) Offaly.... County too small will never again be the force they were
(3) Limerick.. wont stick with it long enough, Donal O'Grady will only last till the next big county board row.
(4)Dublin...Too much emphasis in football, will not remain motivated long enough.
(5)Clare... Gone at the game, the pull on the man game went out with button boots.
(6)Antrim, Laois and Carlow... too far back.
(7)Waterford... lunatics in charge of the asylum.
Pause Switch to Standard View Cork may be out of the championship but
Show More
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl July 9, 2011 9:52 PM BST
Why do you make that statement about Waterford ? Look at all the trubbl Cork have had and Frank still in charge bit unfair really....and they may well put up to Tipp 2moro.....1/1 with 6pts lad
Report Slabster July 9, 2011 10:11 PM BST
Wexford are on the way back, give it time [;)]
Report timidpeopleruleok July 9, 2011 10:22 PM BST
Jay, you are missing the point. Read the heading, it's nothing to do with the match tomorrow. Even if Waterford were to win this match they still have too many hurdles to overcome and the line is'nt the greatest assistance to the team on the field so please read what's written before replying.
Slabster, read my post
Report Slabster July 9, 2011 10:41 PM BST
I did read it. "Win the All-Ireland every year in the pub", that's a load of rot! [smiley:crazy]

You speak of what you don't know.
Report squigs July 9, 2011 10:55 PM BST
Well they should want to be winning All Irelands again before the likes of Antrim, Laois and Carlow. Dublin is on the way up, such a population could accommodate good sides in both codes and they have an awful lot of positives to take from the Underage teams coming through.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl July 9, 2011 11:04 PM BST
Cork County Bord ...oops sorry I mean Frank can play his senior hurling championship now on Fridays down the marrydike because no interest with such a poor senior panel...as we saw 2day.... and as one great Corkman [;)] would say at the end of the day your post is sower grapes.....gotta learn to take ur beating.....s
Report timidpeopleruleok July 10, 2011 1:24 AM BST
Slabster, read my post and for Ch***t's sake get a grip, be realistic. I forgot more about Wexford hurling than you will ever know.
Squigs, just dealing with the counties that are on the ball park or even periphery of the hurling championship and while in Dublin there may have been positives believe my post.
And finally Jay you made a bit of a pig's ear of it with your sower grapes, you see nothing to do with taking a beating. Where I am and have been for years we have been taking a beating every year. I am not a Corkman, whether you or any of ye believe that is immaterial fact is I am stating.....listen to it.... "Cork may be out of the champioship"...etc.You know this to be an irrefutable fact, it would be as easy for me to put Tipperary or Kilkenny in place of Cork. You will notice I don't mention Galway just there as they are capable of doing the business they can b4lls up but this year will prove if finally they got it right, suspect it may be as in the past too many prima donna's. Incidentally the Kilkenny team were not great on some occasions when they won the All-Ireland nor indeed were Tipperary impressive at all times in 2010 (30th May 2010) but structure and management saw them through, particularly management so until the other counties mentioned get the structure etc., correct my post remains and I stand ready to be corrected.
Report timidpeopleruleok July 10, 2011 1:26 AM BST
And so to bed, nite all.
Report neill d July 10, 2011 7:51 AM BST
I wouldn't be so sure about Limerick or Waterford, they both have much classier young players coming through imo, especially in the forward division. Cork are extremely ordinary up front, actually scratch that, they are ordinary almost everywhere, Ben O'Conner is the only truly class hurler they have now imo.
Report scoobyknows July 10, 2011 10:25 AM BST
Frank Murphy is a Gentleman of the Highest order.Cork are finished until they weed out donal og and the other strikers who tore the heart and soul out of Cork hurling..!
Report timidpeopleruleok July 10, 2011 11:33 AM BST
Again everybody missing the point, Cork will sort out their problems on and off the field, they are shrewd enough to do that. It is taking time but it will happen. Meanwhile whatever hurlers Waterford or Limerick or indeed any of the other counties have is immaterial, structure will always be a problem. As to Waterford in particular just watch the match today BUT keep an eye on the line. The behaviour on the line in the Limerick game was a disgrace to say the least. You have to know your options and get the proper structure and management in place. Cork will, I feel, do it, it is taking longer than I expected but yesterdays game is most probably the catalyst required.And I sincerely hope Waterford win today ....but whether or which the assertion remains "Cork may be ....." watch this space.
Report neill d July 10, 2011 12:07 PM BST
I agree from what i hear of his time with LIT, he is indeed a lunatic.Laugh
Report scoobyknows July 10, 2011 12:25 PM BST
Davy is a good manager.Clare will be a danger in a cpl of years when he takes over..!
Report Slabster July 10, 2011 1:41 PM BST
Timidpeopleruleok...as I said, I DID read your post. "Win the All-Ireland every year in the pub"...yeah good man yourself.

Of course Cork will almost certainly win another hurling All-Ireland hurling before Wexford, but it's not because Wexford win it in the pub every year. As I said, that's a load of guff. Laugh
Report OnTheMachine July 10, 2011 1:52 PM BST
I know a Cork fella who approached a woman one night and said..."Your a lovely looking girl...boy"...
Report timidpeopleruleok July 10, 2011 5:48 PM BST
Lunatics in charge of the asylum, did you see the g0b****'s body language on the line.
Slabster,
They win the All-Ireland over a few pints in their own mind, if they did  the groundwork then they might have a chance, you see , like Waterford and the others they don't prepare and that is what has left two (possibly three) teams of in front of the field in hurling. Basically  we all know who will contest the All-Ireland this year, don't we?
Report Mr Mischief July 10, 2011 8:10 PM BST
Basically  we all know who will contest the All-Ireland this year, don't we?

Yes indeed we do.
Galway and Tipp
Report no-won-sun July 11, 2011 11:24 AM BST
Fair play to ya, the Waterford assessment was spot on.
Report redroar July 11, 2011 3:35 PM BST
Cork better then:

1) Wexford..
(2) Offaly....
(3) Limerick
(4)Dublin...
(5)Clare...
(6)Antrim, Laois and Carlow..
(7)Waterford...

So what, bar Dublin none of the above can even dream of an All-Ireland this decade. Is being one of the least average team in a bunch of average teams something to be proud of?
Report timidpeopleruleok July 13, 2011 10:45 AM BST
Mr Mischief:As I say Galway is a possibility but my assessment "Galway.......  capable of doing the business they can b4lls up but this year will prove if finally they got it right, suspect it may be as in the past too many prima donna's".
As to redroar: It's nothing to do with "being one of the least average team in a bunch of average teams" Dublin along with the others above can only dream of an All-Ireland this decade, if you believe anything else you are sadly delusional or possibly illusional. Indeed you may even be hallucinogenically influenced by the power of the press to convince. All in all whatever it is that has you in it's grip you fail to read what is written. Cork will win an All-Ireland before any of the teams mentioned in my original post, that's the point and I welcome anyone to prove me wrong.
Report neill d July 13, 2011 10:53 AM BST
Prove you wrong, you actually can't prove you are right, not to be to pedantic about it. Cork are buried in the pack at the minute with no young players of note coming through, that much would seem apparent.
Report timidpeopleruleok July 13, 2011 7:02 PM BST
neill d
Yes, Cork are buried at the minute which is apparent but there is nothing to be pedantic about, what I am purporting is that as far back as they are now "Cork may be out ......etc". Of course it can and will be proven right or wrong and I say that the statement will be shown to be true and anyone who says differently is living in cloud cuckooland.
Report neill d July 13, 2011 10:58 PM BST
Why will it prove to be true though?, just because its a big County like Cork, if its weight of numbers you use to support your theory Dublin will do you for that.

If it is tradition you are using to support your argument, then these things are cyclical, the GAA is only about 150 odd years old, limerick won a stack in the 30's barely won anything since, tradition doesn't entitle you to anything, BUT, what it can do is let you put in place the structures..........

which brings me on to the underage academies of which Tipp and Kilkenny were the forerunners, Limerick only got theirs going 5 odd years ago and they are reaping the benefits now, I'm not sure what the story is in Cork, but  Limerick and waterford definitely have good young players coming through these intensive coaching system.

There are likely to be more ructions at County Board level as well with himself still in charge.

I can see why you think Cork will be Cork and will be back soon or at least before the rest of the pack, but I don't see where their edge is, and while ye have history on yer side, these things have to come to end, its simple variance really.

Put it this way, in a matchbet, Cork v the rest of the chasing pack, who'll win an All Ireland first, 10/11 the pair, I'd probably be with the pack.
Report timidpeopleruleok July 24, 2011 6:52 PM BST
Well Mr Mischief that confirms my opinion of Galway and while I gave them the benefit of the doubt I suspected they were very fallible. Nothing I saw today has convinced me that my original assessment isn't correct.
Report timidpeopleruleok July 16, 2012 3:48 PM BST
!Wink
Report Mr Mischief July 16, 2012 5:04 PM BST
I see I was a year hasty with my Galway/Tipp prediction. Galway turned the hurling world on its head this year however much of the opening post here remains valid.
Clare didn't achieve much by beating a Dublin side in freefall but should be stronger next year with div 1 hurling and another year under Davy under their belt.
Along with Wexford and Offaly who at least showed some signs of life this season they are still well behind the likes of Limerick and Cork who both have progressive profiles.
Waterford are as good as they are which keeps them competitive but a good bit off All Ireland standard
Report timidpeopleruleok July 30, 2012 12:24 PM BST
HappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappy
Report timidpeopleruleok October 1, 2012 2:09 PM BST
Another year down and no change. A slight alteration to my original post, I'm now adding Galway to the list so Cork will win an All Ireland hurling final before all on the original list with the addition of Galway and Mr Mischief I'll ask you to get real at last or should that be at least. Incidentally the omly danger to my prediction would be if Clare copped on and put the management team that's in charge of the under 21 team in charge of the Senior team then they could and I believe would win an All Ireland but with brainless Davy they will most probably stay and that will suit all the other teams. As I said the Dubs would still concentrate on football and Limerick wouldn't stay concentrating on anything. Wexford will be forever looking back to the '90's while Waterford are short about 4 players. Offaly Antrim Laois and Carlow no way so the back door has helped no one only the GAA but it will be interesting to see what they will come up with now as they try to assist poor Galway who will still whinge even though they were brought into Leinster.  Galway couldn't have been that good after all in 2011 they were dumped out of the All Ireland by Waterford who were never contenders that year,takes longer than that to become a super power.

Talk next year
Report timidpeopleruleok June 4, 2013 12:48 PM BST
So, another championship is upon us, is underway in fact. Didn't the ref delight the crowd at Thurles on Sunday last? Question is was he under some type of instruction or was it fear of the Davy factor. Waterford were 4 points up at half time and should have been further ahead but the ref saw to it in the second half with three quick frees to Clare which were dubious enough, also why did he not take the name of the  Clare player who hit Moran on the hand, he booked Waterford players for less. He also penalised the Waterford players for dissent on a few occasions by moving the ball but each free to Waterford was greeted by dissent of Man Utd proportions and no action taken. Why did he not play the advantage to Fives when he was through on goal and had a chance of burying the ball to bring Waterford into the game? And I realise there is no advantage in hurling but THERE IS! The commentary even grated with Canning willing Clare on, but before anyone should come and say I am a sour Waterford person truth is as I have said before I am a neutral, one of the majority who wants to see fair play and I would be the first to say that Clare were technically better than Waterford on the day and have a strong panel I feel the ref took a hand at ensuring victory. As for Davy having a lunatic on the line, whether he's the media darling or not, is sometimes not the best option and as the championship progresses we will see whether his style will carry Clare through. No, Clare need the management team that had charge of the under 21 team last year but thank God for Davy as far as the other county teams are concerned as this Clare team could be in contention in a year or two for All Ireland honours. Why I brought this up it would be in the interest of other teams to ensure that they don't fall foul of a plot to ensure that the championship is to be peopled by teams beloved of the powers that be! It will be interesting when Cork meet Clare on the 23rd June whether the ref is as busy as he was last Sunday. I have a feeling Cork wouldn't tolerate the sh1t from the ref that Waterford put up with on Sunday last.
As for the rest of the championship I'll be talking as the weeks go on and musing to myself but my initial prediction holds true as far as I'm concerned.
PS The standard of hurling was terrible on Sunday last.Devil
Report timidpeopleruleok June 4, 2013 12:50 PM BST
Soorry: on line 3 that should read "but each free to Clare was greeted by dissent of Man Utd proportions and no action taken".
Report G Hall June 4, 2013 1:36 PM BST
Davy Fitz is always was and always will be a pr1 ck and that is a fact,not even up for debate.
Report kavvie June 4, 2013 2:39 PM BST
i dint think too many would disageee with you g hall!!
Report timidpeopleruleok June 9, 2013 5:44 PM BST
Well done Limerick, ye are sticking at it with John Allen and it's paying dividends, I'm delighted ye did that today and ye may even get a Munster final out of it, but.....................
Report neill d June 9, 2013 5:46 PM BST
Listening to it on radio abroad, sounds like a great day. Great having Limerick and Clare added to the mix, both have the players to be around for a while, add them to traditional teams, we might be entering another golden period for hurling?
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl June 9, 2013 7:29 PM BST
Neill I agree that its good to have a few more counties improving, and getting involved, I am not getting carried away, as the standard is not very good.The Waterford/Clare game was poor and imho the better of two poor teams won. I'd say Waterford are on the slide. While accepting that the Limerick/Tipperary game was better, imho Tipp have slipped back and Limerick under the very shrewd John Allen are hurling to their maximum, and playing cute Cork style hurling. IMHO John Allen should have been encouraged by the Cork County Board to stay on as Manager, and in fact he should have been told 'the jobs yours for as long as you want it'. But any hurling enthusiast knows the 'ills' of this Cork County Bord, which is in fact the exact opposite to Kilkenny's County Board. Good to see Limerick in a Munster final and it will be a very winnable chance for them, regardless of whether its Cork or Clare. If the weather is similar to today in 2wks time (warm, dry, pitch lightning fast), I think Cork will be too quick for Clare, and with a decent referee  will be  bet in 2wks.
Report neill d June 9, 2013 10:01 PM BST
I think it is possible Limerick underachieved last year. seasoning caught them out against Tipp in Thurles and although they were never going to beat KK, some of the goals they let in that day were ridiculous. they were the only ones to give KK a game apart from Galway. While allen has done a good job (I never worry about league form under him) the raw material he had at his disposal wasn't as bad as people made out last year as possible evidenced by the strength of the bench this afternoon. saying all this, I never saw the game but just heard it.

I'd forgive Clare that last week as they have some genuinely brilliant players coming through. I'd say Davy Fitz trains teams like Shark Hanlon trains horses so I reckon they've had a hard spring which will hopefully stand to them in high summer.
Report neill d June 9, 2013 10:05 PM BST
I think both Clare and Limerick have better players than Cork at this minute Jay. Where Clare look weak is in the full back line, but I think the Cork inside forward line is to quote Jack O'Shea 'markable' especially if they keep Pat horgan quiet.
Report Mr Mischief August 25, 2013 4:51 AM BST
How is this thread going then?
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl August 25, 2013 7:30 PM BST
Cork County Board have again got the opportunity to tell this manager, JBM  "the jobs yours for as long as you want it", but unlikely to happen. In the case of the footballers I think its time to go outside the County, for a proper tactical and astute manager. So for me I would be enticing Kieran McGeeney to Leeside as he has accomplished so much with Kildare. That would help get rid of the old pals act, clichés etc., in Cork football circles. Bring in a guy with no agenda only just wanting success. Unlikely to happen.

Should be a great final in two weeks with this surprise pairing, and its anyone's game. Al the Cork senior squad came through last weekends club games, with out any serios mishaps, and the County hurlers were all impressive, with a couple of the forwards lighting up the scoreboard. Lets hope for a good dry day on next Sunday week.
Report lapsy pa August 26, 2013 9:14 PM BST
Hopeful and i won,t use any other word,Jay.Impressed with Clare taking their scores against an under par Limerick,argue maybe that Cork beat them easily enough earlier in Munster but a fierce wind that day and JBM was very cute using it.Anyone i talked to are quietly confident(as myself)except one good judge thinks Clare are a great bet at the prices (also said Corporal Maddox last week to me which i stupidly dismissed on his Brighton run).Time to bring an end to this thread and silence mc banner and the kilalloola,s.
Report neill d August 26, 2013 9:17 PM BST
Clare are overpriced still pa. They have loads of class and pace, that stage is made for them.
Report neill d August 26, 2013 9:17 PM BST
Agree*
Report lapsy pa August 26, 2013 9:25 PM BST
Neill i wanted them before the Limerick match for selfish reasons but wanted Limerick to break out with my heart,not the right way to have looked at it in hindsight as Clare are improving and looking as if peaking at the right time.
Still think Cork have a bit to work on(breaking ball priority) though accept they have got the rub of the green with sending offs the last couple off matches.
Report tobywong. September 29, 2013 3:30 PM BST
Confused
Report neill d September 29, 2013 4:58 PM BST
In a way the OP has proved his point, that is probably the most ordinary Cork team to ever reach a final and they still nearly pulled it off through mental toughness and top-class management.

A Clare team that was twice as talented only scrambled over the line, having completely outclassed them. There is as many have said, something very special about the Cork hurlers.
Report tobywong. September 29, 2013 5:07 PM BST
bull, he got it wrong as in clare actually won the bloody thing !!!!!
Report neill d September 29, 2013 5:13 PM BST
I argued with him more than anyone on here Toby, but if the ref hadn't made a draw of it last week he'd have been right. That was a rubbish Cork team, and they nearly won.
Report Wallflower September 29, 2013 7:44 PM BST
Complete and utter bull.

That's a very good Cork team and they showed it in both games.....they've had many inferior teams win an All-Ireland.

These Cork and Clare teams will have many a battle the next few years, both young.

Kilkenny, Tipp, Limerick, Dublin, Galway won't be standing idly by....hurling championship is in good hands.

(Oh perhaps, of course, god forbid a good Cork team could lose to anyoneCoolHappy; bit like Kerry footballers)
Report neill d September 29, 2013 7:51 PM BST
Name the players on that Cork team that would get on there last All-Ireland winning team Wallflower, and remember that Cork team beat an All-time great Kilkenny team the year before.
Report Wallflower September 29, 2013 7:53 PM BST
I'll expand tomorrow......too busy watching NFLHappy......half-time over.
Report neill d September 29, 2013 7:58 PM BST
Ok Wallflower, I should just add that i don't think that is neccessarily a bad Cork team, just that is poor in relation to other Cork teams that have reached finals. The team that won it in 99 wasn't much better I gather, but bar them I don't think this was a vintage crop.

That said, they make the best of themselves and Aidan Walsh plus a few finds could really strengthen them. They are mentally one of the toughest teams I have seen and have a great coach.
Report roadrunner46 April 13, 2019 6:48 PM BST
Report roadrunner46 April 13, 2019 6:48 PM BST
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com