Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
yourlack
12 Jun 11 11:17
| Topic/replies: 395 | Blogger: yourlack's blog
In todays indo, built up a friendship with the girl going in and out there, asked her for credit saying he was waiting on a cheque to come through from the bank. Ran up 3000 and did a runner, she rang head office got the sack for a breach of procedure. Anyone any idea who this is? He is meant to have done it before.
Pause Switch to Standard View Sports media figure gets girl sacked...
Show More
Report bobbuilder June 12, 2011 1:51 PM BST
plenty that are further in than u think could be one of 20
Report murphyjust. June 12, 2011 2:09 PM BST
i'd take a very short price I know who it is...be a bit dangerous mentioning it here mind
Report bobbuilder June 12, 2011 2:13 PM BST
initials wont get u in touble
Report murphyjust. June 12, 2011 2:21 PM BST
LOL - in this case they probably would...
Report bobbybocala June 12, 2011 2:30 PM BST
dob..1.01
Report Biffo2010 June 12, 2011 3:41 PM BST
murphyjust PM me im curious to know who this is
Report Blackwater June 12, 2011 7:14 PM BST
'Could be one of 20...'

[:o]
Report Anaglogs Daughter June 12, 2011 7:20 PM BST
By JIM CUSACK
Sunday June 12 2011
A sports media figure caused the sacking of a young woman working in a bookmaker's shop in Dublin after he conned her into giving him credit on nearly €3,000 worth of bets, it has been learned.

The man, who did not return calls from the Sunday Independent last week, started appearing on a regular basis at the bookmakers around January last at about the same time the young woman began working in the shop. She had previously worked in a bookmakers in the south west and it was her first time living in Dublin.

He chatted to her and other staff and became familiar with them, telling one male member of staff of affairs he claimed he had been conducting with female television personalities.

According to friends he appeared in the bookmakers on Easter Tuesday last and told the young woman he was waiting for a cheque to clear in a nearby bank and asked for credit on a bet. He left but went nowhere near the local bank he had mentioned.

According to local people, he crossed the road to a pub where he drank pints of lager and lime and watched the races on television before returning to the bookies on three occasions to get more bets on credit.

By 3.40pm -- 20 minutes before banks close -- he had run up close to €3,000 in lost bets. At that stage the young woman realised what was happening and called her supervisor.

She was dismissed days later for "breach of procedure". No criminal offence was committed as betting is a commercial contract and the gardai are not involved. The bookmaking company is not instituting proceedings against him.

A senior source in the bookmaker company confirmed to the Sunday Independent last week that the incident had happened.

He said: "It was a despicable thing in our view. We're so sorry for the girl."

Colleagues of the girl said they were "terribly sorry" that the young woman was dismissed but there were strict rules on giving credit on bets. It was a clear "breach of procedure" but it was "very difficult for us". He added: "She is a fine young person. It was her first time up from the country and she was very happy, looking forward to living in the big city. She is a great girl.

She was great with customers and very good at her job. She was devastated."

Associates of the presenter say he had a history of gambling debts and bouncing cheques in pubs after building up a rapport with staff.

Two recent mobile phone numbers used by him were out of service and a call to a third went to voicemail.
Report ballaman68 June 12, 2011 7:34 PM BST
Typical bul lshit story, if there are sure of their facts to the degree that they know what exactly he was drinking , why sont they just come out and name him.

Either do the story right or not at all, typical fairytale journalism with no balls to back it up.
Report murphyjust. June 12, 2011 7:54 PM BST
ah the lager and lime sorts it so....1.01 landed
Report wildmanfromborneo June 12, 2011 8:05 PM BST
Murphyjust why so craven?
Report murphyjust. June 12, 2011 8:17 PM BST
wildmanfromborneo Joined: 30 Nov 10
Replies: 2451 12 Jun 11 20:05 
Murphyjust why so craven?

sorry maybe I'm dim but what do u mean?
Report wildmanfromborneo June 12, 2011 8:19 PM BST
I dont want to be insulting.......Cowardly.
Report murphyjust. June 12, 2011 8:29 PM BST
not cowardly but I don't see any value in me naming someone here that might prove to be wrong and hence defamatory...I doubt anyone that frequents the Baggot Street area is in any doubt who it is
Report observerirl June 12, 2011 8:33 PM BST
Jeez murph you either know or dont. If you do what's your concern cause it will hit sooner or later while if you don't I can understand your reluctance
Report MJK June 12, 2011 8:56 PM BST
'It was her first time up from the Country'Laugh
Report neill d June 12, 2011 9:00 PM BST
I know, how condescendingLaugh
Report da fallon factor June 12, 2011 9:00 PM BST
getting somebody sacked,this piece of **** should be named and shamed before he gets somebody else the sack,if this story is true
Report RodneyHutchingsJNR June 12, 2011 9:10 PM BST
How much money have bookmakers conned punters out of,over the years,laying horses they know aren`t "fancied"? Take it on the chin,lads,and move on!
Report RodneyHutchingsJNR June 12, 2011 9:11 PM BST
Plus,the lady in question deserves what she got for laying him! Would you want this lady working for you?
Report kavvie June 12, 2011 10:07 PM BST
who is it lads?
Report Blackwater June 12, 2011 10:19 PM BST
The bookmaker has obviously confirmed the story. The Sindo seems to have its ducks in a row right down to what the guy had in his pint glass, plus there's been no denial, so they should name names, if only to protect those 19 innocent journos from false accusations.

I assumed initially it had to be Eamon Dunphy, but his tipple is vermouth and Fanta, so it can't be him.
Report wildmanfromborneo June 12, 2011 10:22 PM BST
Neil D Why is it condescending to say she was just up from the country?
Report Blackwater June 12, 2011 10:47 PM BST
If he ponies up the cash will the girl get her job back?
Report Dan Chipowski June 12, 2011 10:49 PM BST
I doubt it. To be honest, she fully deserves the sack.
Report Upthewaterhill June 12, 2011 10:57 PM BST
Was his bro the ponzy merchant?
Report silvergreaser June 12, 2011 11:00 PM BST
Girl sues sports journalist for loss of earnings, now thats a thought?
Report neill d June 13, 2011 1:21 AM BST
It implies that country people are thick/easily conned imo, it also implies that it wouldn't happen to someone from a big city. I just thought ok, say she was gullible, but don't say she was gullible just because she was 'from down the country'.

I just found it funny because I know plenty of people some stupid bookies rep, which in all probability,is what made the comment is.
Report neill d June 13, 2011 1:24 AM BST
sorry last sentence error- I just found it funny because I know plenty of people 'from the country' who could buy and sell some stupid bookies rep, which in all probability,is what the person who made the comment is.
Report scoobyknows June 13, 2011 7:51 AM BST
Wise is the man who plays the fool Neil D.I Love to hear bookies talking like that..!
Report Win only - Sp only June 13, 2011 10:22 AM BST
I think the Girl was just having a punt up from the Till, did her brains then blamed this poor Journo.
Report Anaglogs Daughter June 13, 2011 11:03 AM BST
So the journo takes the rap and disappears from the scene to have his good name blackened and not say a word about it...Plausible win only . Cool .
Report Blackwater June 13, 2011 11:09 AM BST
Indeed, AD.

I wonder if the guy was ever a contributor to the Indo. That might explain the reluctance to name him.
Report scoobyknows June 13, 2011 11:28 AM BST
Wikileaks Wildman will reveal all shortly no doubt..!
Report Win only - Sp only June 13, 2011 12:06 PM BST
I think the chap in question needs professional help for his boozing and punting addictions. It is a serious disease. I feel sorry for him.
Report RodneyHutchingsJNR June 13, 2011 12:18 PM BST
Lager and lime - hardcore stuff,indeed!!
Report reb June 13, 2011 12:40 PM BST
Was there a picture of an attractive female, holding a betting slip, accompanying the story ?
Report RodneyHutchingsJNR June 13, 2011 12:43 PM BST
Reb,good to see you`re still about these parts and on the right side of the sod ![:D]
Report slickster June 13, 2011 1:43 PM BST
tv3
Report Win only - Sp only June 13, 2011 1:53 PM BST
Cry
Report hardlyuseless June 15, 2011 1:52 PM BST
too good a story to let slip down the page...wont be long now before the name slips out, not a big name at all. what day is phoenix out?
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby June 19, 2011 12:12 PM BST
Dara O'Briain according to the Sunday world Laugh
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby June 19, 2011 12:15 PM BST
Daire O'Brien actually not the comedian Mischief
Report tobywong. June 19, 2011 12:23 PM BST
who is he? never heard of him tbh
Report ballaman68 June 19, 2011 12:26 PM BST
Presents the rugby (magners lge) on rte.

Glad hes been named, too many con artists getting away with these and other scams.
Report kavvie June 19, 2011 12:34 PM BST
would have thought he was a steady individual from the way he yalks etc...surprising
Report TradeFair June 19, 2011 12:36 PM BST
His Twitter page is gone
Report RodneyHutchingsJNR June 19, 2011 1:06 PM BST
T he great surprise is - he`s a drinker of lager and lime!!
Report GANT007 June 19, 2011 1:08 PM BST
His brother was also fond of the high life.
Report TradeFair June 19, 2011 1:09 PM BST
Presumably all he needs to do is deny the allegations?
Report Blackwater June 19, 2011 1:32 PM BST
He presented RTE's late night election coverage as well. How he got that gig is one of the great unsolved mysteries of our time.
Report Dan Chipowski June 19, 2011 1:40 PM BST
Jaysus, last person I would have thought it was.Laugh
Report scoobyknows June 19, 2011 1:43 PM BST
!Laugh!
Report slickster June 19, 2011 2:17 PM BST
the clown was bumming cigarettes off me one day. sat in a pub for 3 hours sipping one pint!!!
kept saying his mate is on his way with money, just waiting for cheque to clear bla...
sad individual.... allegedly.
Report murphyjust. June 19, 2011 2:21 PM BST
just as well I didn't name him last week...I was thinking of somebody totally different....a story waiting to break that one..
Report TradeFair June 19, 2011 2:25 PM BST
Someone actually tweeted a link for the story at him on Twitter when the news broke. I was sure it was him after that but thought better of posting it.
Report MJK June 19, 2011 4:16 PM BST
Gant very true about his brother. Ripped a lot of people off with his pyramid schemes. Dara has been a director of some of his brothers 'companies'. Always seems to be someone stuck up his own anus imop.
Report mightymoyes June 19, 2011 4:19 PM BST
just goggled him and found a story on 'mug punters'!Laugh
http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/daire-obrien-mug-punters-are-losers-on-irish-manager-job-betting-1267716.html
Report TradeFair June 19, 2011 4:23 PM BST
Article written after he done his conkers on a 'Houllier has the job story' in Doheny and Nesbitt...
Report steeringjobnap June 19, 2011 4:47 PM BST
http://www.independent.ie/business/european/though-jeremy-clarkson-is-a-hero-i-know-as-much-about-cars-as-he-does-about-donal-og-cusack-1969468.html

€600pm x 12 x 5 = €36k for a €25k car.

Little wonder he needed credit with a play like that...as told in the Business Section of the Indo...
Report db1974 June 19, 2011 4:48 PM BST
Anyone got a pic of him

I haven't a clue who he is
Report Dan Chipowski June 19, 2011 4:54 PM BST
Google image his name, you'll recognise him.
Report db1974 June 19, 2011 4:55 PM BST
I did but all I get is the comedian
Report TradeFair June 19, 2011 4:56 PM BST
€600 a moth for a car. No wonder the man is skint.
Report TradeFair June 19, 2011 5:02 PM BST
http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/rte-poaches-obrien-to-lead-the-m...
Report Tony Fenton June 19, 2011 5:41 PM BST
You have to laugh. The Irish Sports forum and people don't know who he is.

FFS.
Report TradeFair June 19, 2011 7:03 PM BST
What was going through his head? How does someone with a job in the public domain lower himself to credit betting? Surely he knew he was also playing Russian roulette with his future employment prospects. In a way I feel sorry for him because gambling may well haue ruined his career. What a waste that is.
Report db1974 June 19, 2011 7:14 PM BST
Fair enough - I know who he is

TF - imagine some people don't know every single presenter in RTE or TV3 or Setanta

The price of having a life I suppose
Report Tony Fenton June 19, 2011 7:36 PM BST
That's true db. Well said.
Report TradeFair June 19, 2011 8:20 PM BST
No excuse for what he did but I feel for someone in his position who did not calculate what the consequences of his actions might be. It's never nice hearing when a bettimg addiction sees someone talented ruin their career.
Report ballaman68 June 19, 2011 8:25 PM BST
He has also ruined other peoples careers as well, esp in this case.
Sorry tradefair no sympathy here im afraid.
Report TradeFair June 19, 2011 8:41 PM BST
Two lives affected over one gambling problem. It's sad in the sense he must be very naive to think he could just walk away and think it would be forgotten.
Report GANT007 June 19, 2011 8:50 PM BST
The poor girl lost her job and may be unemployed at the moment..........He on the other hand is earning and I'm sure Ryle Nugent won't abandon his Rugby buddy.........a desperate stroke to pull on anyone.
Report slickster June 19, 2011 9:58 PM BST
not the first time either............
Report hardlyuseless June 19, 2011 10:55 PM BST
Why was this **** not named in the sindo last weekend? Is the bookmaker named today? One of the big three (in ireland), will they chase him down for the money? So many questions.....
Report Blackwater June 19, 2011 11:25 PM BST
He wasn't named in the Indo because he was a columnist in their business section.
Report tobywong. June 20, 2011 1:24 AM BST
would have to agree with balla and gant , what a p r ick , anyone with that attitude does not care who he hurts , deserves a slap and a good one , what an a rse hole
Report neill d June 20, 2011 1:43 AM BST
I hope it finishes him, I shall apply for his jobLaugh, seriously lads, either astounding stupidity or a desperate man not in his right mind. I'd go 5/6 either way.
Report Chester J Lampwick June 20, 2011 1:51 AM BST
Surprised the girl in the bookies knew who he was, especially to advance credit.
Report neill d June 20, 2011 1:53 AM BST
I wouldn't have thought of him as much of a charmer myself.
Report Win only - Sp only June 20, 2011 8:08 AM BST
Has the cheque arrived yet?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com