Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
soldieroffortune
02 May 11 19:16
| Topic/replies: 6,251 | Blogger: soldieroffortune's blog
What an absolutely beautiful racehorse Grin
Show More
Report soldieroffortune May 24, 2011 9:38 PM BST
Same thing happened to workrider soapp - mind you he aint got much hair left! Laugh
Report workrider May 24, 2011 10:22 PM BST
her majesty told me to convey her condolences as she will be to busy leading in her winner ...also to wish you better luck next time sof......Laugh
Report soldieroffortune May 24, 2011 10:32 PM BST
Hard luck Your Majesty ...... C'mon Ballydoyle! Laugh
Report workrider May 24, 2011 10:42 PM BST
i'm going to go over myself ...i might just have time to engage in diplomatic conversation or even shake your hand and smile while i help her majesty out of the winners enclosure ....Laugh
Report soldieroffortune May 24, 2011 10:54 PM BST
workrider come on over and join us at the Winners' Party! We'll be easy enough to spot my friend - Mrs soldieroffortune will be wearing either her all Navy dress or the Blue one with the bright Orange disc on the front! Laugh
Report workrider May 25, 2011 11:43 AM BST
Laugh
Report Giant Strides May 25, 2011 12:57 PM BST
Cummings' swipe at Think's Irish rivals

As many Australians stayed up to watch So You Think win in Ireland in the early hours of Monday morning, Bart Cummings slept soundly, sure of the result.

The former trainer of the dual Cox Plate winner said it wasn't worth a late night given the strength of the opposition in the Tattersalls Gold Cup.

In high spirits after the win of Procyon at Randwick on Tuesday, Cummings was at his mischievous best.

"I saw the race this morning," Cummings said.

"I wouldn't stay up at night for it. The racing over there isn't worth two bob.

"He met better horses than that here.

"It might be different when he gets to France, there is better racing there because they don't have bookmakers."

Cummings has long been an opponent of corporate bookmakers who he says are bleeding the industry.

"If the sheikh (Sheikh Mohammed) left England, racing would be closed down in a month," he said.

"When I was last over there I think there were 18 bookmakers in parliament."

It is no secret Cummings was upset to lose the horse in a deal done between owner Dato Tan Chin Nam and Coolmore during the spring carnival when the legendary trainer was not in the best of health.

Those wounds have healed and Cummings has moved on but he would have welcomed the opportunity to train him for a third Cox Plate.

Asked how he thought the horse looked even against inferior opposition, Cummings was succinct.

"Not as good as he did here."

Laugh Just telling it like it is! Plain
Report db1974 May 25, 2011 1:09 PM BST
Why doesn't he just come out and say "I'm a bitter old man"
Report Viva Pataca May 25, 2011 3:53 PM BST
After the 2008 Melbourne Cup and the Australian media's intense criticism of Aidan O'Brien's tactics, Jim Bolger was asked by the Aussie meida if he ever had a runner Down Under. He said:

"Maybe if you had a proper race over a mile and a half in which colts carried 9st and fillies 8st 11lb, then I might come out. But you think the Cup is one of the best races in the world even though it is a handicap. A handicap? Imagine. That's not what proper international racing should be about."

Clearly no love lost between the Irish and Australian trainers, is there?
Report neill d May 25, 2011 3:57 PM BST
Bolger is right, they have the crowds, the sunshine, but Americain. FFS
Report soapp May 25, 2011 6:12 PM BST
He still hasn't got over Vintage Crop taking the Cup back to Europe, the first time it was ever taken to the Northern hemisphere. He said the handicapper favoured the Europeans to tempt them to bring over runners.

Sad sad man. He never travelled horses to the Northeern hemisphere or Ascot.

typical brash Aussie. Laugh
Report soldieroffortune June 11, 2011 12:17 PM BST
Did well in his work this morning.

AMOB 'live' on Twitter ...... "Just jumping off, settled in nicely behind his lead horse, starting to move upsides, eases to the front. Easy, 15 lengths clear! Phew!"

All looks well for Wednesday Grin
Report ilikewavingatbuses June 11, 2011 12:27 PM BST
thanks for the horsie.................................BART! baahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah!
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl June 11, 2011 7:29 PM BST
Could "soft" be included in the Ascot going .....Babs Keating said on RTE1 today that he was over near the course and it was lashing rain the other day.....ok not the most reliable info but a concern all the same.....
Report soldieroffortune June 14, 2011 11:33 PM BST
C'mon fella Grin
Report wildmanfromborneo June 15, 2011 7:37 AM BST
For me its a gamblers last throw.
So You Think is Mr Ed in disguise.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf June 15, 2011 11:06 AM BST
How can you criticise anything this horse has done? He won 2 Cox Plates in Australia which is Australia's weight for age championship race. In the 1st of those he led all the way running them ragged winning by 2 1/2L. He won 2 Group 1s last year before defending his Cox Plate and then a week later hacked up in the McKinnon Stakes.

Since he has arrived in Europe he has won a Group 3 and Group 1 that lacked strength in depth but that is down to the fact that connections of other so called horses are afraid of their lives to take him on. He has won his 2 starts in the Northern hemisphere with the minimun of fuss.

Ballydoyle are talking the horse up but their is substance behind it. He has won 5 Group 1s in Australia and now has won 1 Group 1 in Ireland.
Report wildmanfromborneo June 15, 2011 1:07 PM BST
He is a 2/5 shot and a lay.Australian middle distance horses are nothing like their sprinters,to me he wasnt visually impressive in either of his Curragh wins and most critically of all he has had a wind operation.
Report Giant Strides June 15, 2011 1:14 PM BST
Who do you have to beat him?
I`ve backed been on both Planteurs and Rewildings wins this season but I`m not planning on backing either today. Twice Over!
He might be too short but just like Frankel, he`s still by far the most likely winner.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf June 15, 2011 1:16 PM BST
He won the Group 3 by 10L and the Group 1 by 4 1/2L without the jockey having to get serious in either, what more could he do?? win each race by 3 furlongs?

As for a wind operation, that could improve him, it has improved many a horse in the past
Report ilikewavingatbuses June 15, 2011 1:21 PM BST
i think someone said his sire is 0/30 at the track is that true?

having said that they all might have been 100/1 donkeys but a worying stat if it.

i actually thikshes a smashing horse but havent backed it today.

gl
Report ilikewavingatbuses June 15, 2011 1:23 PM BST
think hes*[smiley:crazy]
Report ReimerpYsatnaf June 15, 2011 1:25 PM BST
I could end up being wrong but he has done everything that has been asked of him in middle distance races so far in both the Southern and Northern hemisphere and i personally think he is the best middle distance horse in the world and will go through the season unbeaten.
Report wildmanfromborneo June 15, 2011 1:30 PM BST
High Chaparral was a noble racehorse but has not been a success at stud.
The wind operation is a negative when betting long odds on shots but i accept the point about him not being responsible for the poor opposition in Ireland.
Report GANT007 June 15, 2011 1:35 PM BST
He has been brought to the boil perfectly by AO'B for today....I feel we will see a super display from this animal today........Tip up a lay @ 2/5 and it wins, a sure it was odds odd or the oldest one in the book tip up the second fav. to an odds on shot........the horse wins you are a great tipster and it loses....are sure the winner was odds on...............We will be all the wiser @ 1550.
Report wildmanfromborneo June 15, 2011 1:40 PM BST
GANT007...There is money involved in fact i have gone misere oeuvre.
Report GANT007 June 15, 2011 1:52 PM BST
I am not doubting you for one second..........The piece above refers to a chap that drinks in our local pub.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf June 15, 2011 3:49 PM BST
Well done if you layed, im absolutely shocked
Report workrider June 15, 2011 3:50 PM BST
well done wildman..
Report Dan Chipowski June 15, 2011 3:51 PM BST
Well done layers. No excuses for the fav on first viewing.
Report GANT007 June 15, 2011 3:52 PM BST
Well done...........
Report Temlett June 15, 2011 3:53 PM BST
Fantastic to see that chinned.
Does not help with the Planteur losses, but a great ride by Frankie.
Report Temlett June 15, 2011 4:06 PM BST
What graceless rubbish in that interview.

Protecting the valuation by claiming it was trainer error and the horse was not fit enough.

Take defeat on the chin and admit that the better horse won on the day.
Report punchestown June 15, 2011 4:09 PM BST
Very odd interview on BBC there with Pershad,close to tears and mumbling and back to the "listen" thing again,he apologised to Pershad and the TV viewers ffs.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf June 15, 2011 4:10 PM BST
Didn't mention Joseph taking the head off him at the corner either Laugh

How can he claim not to have him fit after 2 runs this year and this being Royal Ascot
Report Kelly June 15, 2011 4:10 PM BST
Better horse on the day at the distance .Pair of them were well clear of the other decent horses in the race .  No disgrace to be beaten , tactics / holding up might be better .
Report ilikewavingatbuses June 15, 2011 4:14 PM BST
wd op.

thought ryan went too soon myself.

best horse 2nd imo.
Report workrider June 15, 2011 4:17 PM BST
the best thing to come out of the race is...this is NO superstar...imo...
Report ilikewavingatbuses June 15, 2011 4:35 PM BST
id agree with that.

its so demeaning to AOB other runners too , to hear him essentially talk down the great horses hes had by talking this fella up as the best hes trained.

hate to see that tbh.
Report ilikewavingatbuses June 15, 2011 4:35 PM BST
id agree with that.

its so demeaning to AOB other runners too , to hear him essentially talk down the great horses hes had by talking this fella up as the best hes trained.

hate to see that tbh.
Report Giant Strides June 15, 2011 4:42 PM BST
I`ve said that ^^^^ a hundred times before ilwab.
That horse wouldn`t polish the boots of his real superstars of the early noughties.
Report ilikewavingatbuses June 15, 2011 4:45 PM BST
wouldnt argue with u there GS, at least after that race. galileo/montjeu would have won that race today anyway!
Report Giant Strides June 20, 2011 11:53 AM BST
Eclipse next.
Report soldieroffortune July 1, 2011 10:52 PM BST
The right man on board and Seamus will give him a lovely spin round there tomorrow.

C'mon fella Grin
Report wildmanfromborneo July 1, 2011 11:23 PM BST
Play up your winnings lay again and again.
Report soldieroffortune July 1, 2011 11:28 PM BST
You ever had a look at him close up wildman?
Report wildmanfromborneo July 1, 2011 11:39 PM BST
I saw him twice on The Curragh but would not be the best judge of a horse,leave that to Workrider,he did look a noble beast.I am against him solely on his form,feel he has been hyped a bit and has had a wind operation.
Report soldieroffortune July 1, 2011 11:51 PM BST
wildman he's a superb looking individual, a huge imposing colt with an athletic and muscular build about him. He's a beautiful racehorse to look at close up and workrider for sure would agree with that.

He was under his best there the last day but all these races go to make a season. His trainer will have him spot on for the season that remains.
Report wildmanfromborneo July 2, 2011 12:00 AM BST
I think Aiden OBrien was unfairly criticised when he gallantly put the blame on himself at Ascot,wrong if you take the blame and wrong if you shirk it.I have read all the posts on here commenting on the amount of times he says listen and sneering at it,dont they realise that is only a stalling method which we all use when you are thinking although we may use different words.
On the subject of beauty,saw a photograph of his daughter,certainly a looker.
Report soldieroffortune July 2, 2011 12:06 AM BST
wildman let's you, me, workrider and all of us on here look back one day and judge him on his season as a whole in 2011 So You Think.
Report sinndar001 July 2, 2011 12:19 AM BST
Would Coolmore have to pay  for the advertisement on pages 3-5 of the Racing Post today or is it free?
Report ReimerpYsatnaf July 2, 2011 12:22 AM BST
i still think he is a superstar, i may be wrong but the Prince Of Wlaes was a joke race mainly down ton Aidens son and Ryan Moore. It he runs like he did down under i think he will destroy Workforce.

if i am wrong i will be 1st to admit it
Report Giant Strides July 2, 2011 7:34 AM BST
I am against him solely on his form,feel he has been hyped a bit and has had a wind operation.

Was his Ascot run was sufficient enough for you to realise there`s nothing wrong with his form? He was the best horse on the day and was asked to do far too much. By not making the pace today they have effectively realised they made a total mess of Ascot.
The reason you should be taking him on today is the very hard race he had there only 17 days ago. But when you consider he won the Cox plate, another Gr1 and ran 3rd in the Melbourne cup all in the space of 10 days last year then he should be well able for it. Little wonder why they use hyperbole with this one. He cost a pretty penny.
Report Giant Strides July 2, 2011 7:37 AM BST
Was his Ascot run not sufficient....
Report wildmanfromborneo July 2, 2011 1:29 PM BST
I actually agree with ye that he was probably the best horse in the Ascot race,not Ryan Moores finest hour,but i think this is a far superior race.I wouldnt put Rewilding in the same league as Workforce or Snow Fairy so consider this a tougher assignment and without wishing to bore the significance of Ryan Moore knowing all about So You Think may come into play.
Report Dan Chipowski July 2, 2011 3:18 PM BST
Won that with a bit up his sleeve imo. Great race to watch.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf July 2, 2011 3:18 PM BST
Cool love this racehorse
Report soldieroffortune July 2, 2011 8:32 PM BST
Truly superb performance! Grin
Report wildmanfromborneo July 2, 2011 10:34 PM BST
I know this may sound like sour grapes but you can only go on your own impression and whilst he was a worthy winner i dont think he is a champion.I have a feeling they may abandon his European campaign and send him back to Australia would think Await The Dawn a better horse.
Report Giant Strides July 2, 2011 10:39 PM BST
RACING NEWS     

So You Think runs to 134 in mastering Workforce.
TIMEFORM HAIL SO YOU THINK DISPLAY

Timeform rate So You Think's Coral-Eclipse win as second to only Sea The Stars' in recent years.

The Halifax-based firm have the performance at 134 while John Oxx's star ran to 136 when winning in 2009.

So You Think - a champion in Australia before this year - and the Derby and Arc winner Workforce were inseparable on a Timeform rating of 133 going into the race, and there was little between them in the closing stages as well, So You Think finally getting on top to score by half a length.

Workforce remains on a rating of 133 - good enough to win the race by three to four lengths in an average year - while Sri Putra ran to 122 in third.

So You Think now goes into a clear third, behind Frankel (141) and Black Caviar (135), in Timeform's Global Rankings in what is proving to be a vintage year for Flat racing.
Report wildmanfromborneo July 2, 2011 10:58 PM BST
Its hard to argue against that and they may be right,i just think So You Think takes a long time to pick up and felt the pacemaker suited him.Snow Fairy did not run her race and Workforces best form is over a mile and a half so i would not agree with that rating.
I always go on my own eyes and he just disappointed me on the Curragh twice and maybe i cant get that out of my head.I hope they run him in the Irish Champion because i will be going down the unpopular route again and laying.Having read your article it now seems my fear about Coolmore packing him off to Australia is ludicrous and i may have a long summer eating humble pie but for now i will plough my own furrow.
Report STELLAR MANIPULATOR July 2, 2011 11:31 PM BST
Beggars belief that anyone could rate So You Think ahead of his conquerer at Ascot in a scenario where SYT in victory today defeated Sri Putra by 5.5 lengths but beat it 6L at Ascot when allegedly not fully fit
Report Giant Strides July 2, 2011 11:40 PM BST
Allegedly. Totally agree.
In the same way that SYT had to do his own donkey work at Ascot,Wf was asked to do too much today. Another sitting duck.
Report wildmanfromborneo July 2, 2011 11:56 PM BST
I am seriously not disagreeing for the sake of it but whilst i dont think So You Think is a champion i think he is better than Rewilding and i dont believe So You Think wasnt fully fit at Ascot.
Giant Strides i am not sure of your opinion on this subject as on the one hand you seem to agree with Stellar Manipulator with regards Rewilding yet seem to agree with most that he is a true champion.
Anyway differences of opinion on the turf is what makes it so great.
Report soldieroffortune July 3, 2011 12:22 AM BST
wildman it was real class shown there today by So You Think - and there's still improvement to come from him! Grin
Report ReimerpYsatnaf July 3, 2011 12:29 AM BST
So You Think is a champion, whether he is an all time great the rest of the season will tell us. However 2 Cox Plates a McKinnon Stakes, a Tattersalls Gold Cup and an Eclipse win make this horse a champion

I think he will prove himself to be an all time great by winning the Prix De L'Arc De Triomphe Grin
Report soldieroffortune July 3, 2011 12:31 AM BST
Completely agree with you Prem Grin
Report moneypenny July 3, 2011 12:33 AM BST
I Would doubt very much so you think would beat Workrider over an extra 2f
Report soldieroffortune July 3, 2011 12:36 AM BST
moneypenny 03 Jul 11 00:33

I Would doubt very much so you think would beat Workrider over an extra 2f

moneypenny - Mrs workrider says he's totally lacking in stamina! Laugh
Report ReimerpYsatnaf July 3, 2011 12:36 AM BST
Well he was getting well on top at the finish i thought today. Almost stayed the 2m to win a Melbourne Cup.

Anyway as regarding him i think people are totally ignoring what this horse did in Australia, he was unreal down there
Report moneypenny July 3, 2011 12:45 AM BST
Middle distance Australian racing is inferior to European middle distance racing. Have a look at how well My Kingdom of Fife is doing over there. He was called Kingdom of Fife in the UK  and was last seen getting well beat in an egg and spoon race at Windsor.

Workforce was given a poor enough ride today by Ryan Moore. The horse is clearly better over 12 furlongs and the Stoute stable are having a poor enough time at present .

Today was SYT's day with everything in his favour and on the day the best horse won, however I couldnt see him being good enough to even place in an Arc
Report moneypenny July 3, 2011 12:46 AM BST
Workrider [:)]
Report moneypenny July 3, 2011 12:46 AM BST
Laugh
Report ReimerpYsatnaf July 3, 2011 12:49 AM BST
I trust you'll put up a tasty pruce then for the Arc Silly

only kidding but i think the horse in a monster
Report moneypenny July 3, 2011 12:53 AM BST
Laying horses at 7/1 + wouldnt be my game PF however I like the look of Workforce at 5/1+ on here.
Report silvergreaser July 3, 2011 12:55 AM BST
On a line through Sri Putra the horse didn't exactly run any better than at Ascot which sugeests both his runs in Britain is as good as he is, which is not to say the horse is bad, he's a damn decent horse but imo no world beater and I'd be willing to take him on whenever or IF? he ever steps up to 12f.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf July 3, 2011 12:56 AM BST
me neither mate, not a layer at all really, at least he has brought plenty of debate to the season and it will run the whole season until Longchamp by the looks of things
Report moneypenny July 3, 2011 1:05 AM BST
Sure thats what the games all about , opinions.
Report soldieroffortune September 3, 2011 9:24 AM BST
C'mon fella Grin
Report slickster September 3, 2011 11:33 AM BST
another riveting post from the forum dullard Grin
Report soldieroffortune September 3, 2011 11:35 AM BST
Morning slickster Laugh
Report frank60 September 3, 2011 12:01 PM BST
i thing so you thing may win the champion stakes but he is more like a 4/7 shot then a 2/7 he may be worth a lay.
Report soldieroffortune September 3, 2011 9:14 PM BST
Superb performance from horse and jockey Grin
Report wildmanfromborneo September 3, 2011 9:22 PM BST
I thought he was workmanlike today and has absolutely no chance in the Arc but i doubt he will go there,i would imagine he will head for the Champion Stakes provided Frankel isint running.Remember he is effectively a five year old and also despite his great exploits in Australia the Australian handicapper only allocated him 8-10 in the Melbourne Cup so he like me didnt believe the hype.
Report mitch leary September 3, 2011 10:19 PM BST
overrated.
Report The Gotchee September 4, 2011 12:45 AM BST
Absolutely correct. He is 8 lbs overated by the handicapper.
The Australian handicapper saw it fit to allocate him 8.11 in last years Mel. Cup. The same weight was allocated to Campanologist who at the time was rated......wait for it.............116. This is where the facts speak for themselves. The Aussie handicapper therefor rated this "superstar" in the same ballpark as a European group 3 performer. He then arrives in Ireland and the hype machine went into full swing. Let's look at the facts. He wins an egg and spoon race first time out at the Curragh. He then returns to the Curragh to win the worst G1 I have ever seen in Ireland. He is then beaten fair and square by Rewilding (OR 120), in my opinion his best run in this hemisphere. He went on to beat Workforce at a time when Stoute's yard was under a cloud. ( at that time the yard was on a 30 run loosing streak). Back to today, easily the worst Champion Stakes field I can remember, he beats a good filly, all out by half a length. Snow Fairy also has an OR of 120
Assuming Snow Fairy ran up to her best today any fair minded person could only give So You Think a rating of 121. Yet he is rated by our handicapper at 127. On all known form I rate him at 119 and furthermore he will never win a G 1 over a mile.  Listening to John Magnier today suggesting he will shuttle him in both hemispheres as a stallion brought a smile to my face. I reckon So You Think will cover  about 600 mares at €50k a pop before breeders realise the folly of their ways. His pedigree, size and style of running suggests he won't be producing early two year olds. It will be interesting to see where it will all end.
Report Giant Strides September 4, 2011 8:11 AM BST
Back to today, easily the worst Champion Stakes field I can remember...

Short memory.
Which of the beasts in behind New Approach in 2008 had won four G1s and £2m in prize money!?  Confused
Report soldieroffortune September 15, 2011 10:15 PM BST
Arc winner! Grin
Report BJG September 15, 2011 10:17 PM BST
Yup Sarafina is the Arc winner Devil
Report soldieroffortune September 15, 2011 10:20 PM BST
She'll be a gallant 2nd BJG Silly
Report The Gotchee October 15, 2011 4:47 PM BST
Ryan Moore would have won had he been allowed to ride Snow Fairy. Best horse finished 3rd. So You Think should make a good National Hunt sire.
Report punchestown October 15, 2011 4:51 PM BST
SYT,the most over hyped beast I've seen in a long long time,just think of some of the Balydoyle inmates that APOB was willing to put below SYT in the pecking order.
Report thefly10 October 15, 2011 4:58 PM BST
Shouda, coulda, woulda, Gothchee!

Agree Pun, been saying all along that he's not the horse he's made out to be. Todays price said it all.
Report wildmanfromborneo October 15, 2011 6:15 PM BST
In the footsteps of Nijinsky.
Report Anaglogs Daughter October 17, 2011 3:16 PM BST
Ballydoyle advertisment SO YOU THINK *UNBEATING within the rules of racing
*BEATEN TWICE BY jockeys who broke the rules Happy
Report ReimerpYsatnaf October 17, 2011 3:30 PM BST
What rules did Danedream or Andrasch Starke break? Yes i didn't think the ride in the Arc was the best but he would never of beat Danedream, or the ride given to him at Royal Ascot was great but he was beat fair and square again on Saturday when pretty much everything seemed to go to plan.
Report Anaglogs Daughter October 17, 2011 4:03 PM BST
Take the day off fantasy i was having a jest
Report Anaglogs Daughter October 17, 2011 4:08 PM BST
Just read So You Thinks sire High Chaparall is 0-35 at Ascot with his offspring.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf October 17, 2011 4:13 PM BST
take the day off Confused
Report The Gotchee November 6, 2011 8:05 PM GMT
Got a terrible flogging last night. A good G 3 horse at his best.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com