Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
neill d
23 Apr 11 21:09
| Topic/replies: 9,908 | Blogger: neill d's blog
Anyone know how one would go about getting into this game? What is the kind of skill set required? What does the job entail? Anyone did it? Thanks in advance.
Pause Switch to Standard View Odds compiling for betting firms?
Show More
Report mitch leary April 23, 2011 9:24 PM BST
most firms just copy each other.
Report never give up April 23, 2011 9:35 PM BST
good eye sight and a box of headache tablets to watch the betting on here
Report scoobyknows April 23, 2011 9:48 PM BST
Risk management innit!
Report wildmanfromborneo April 23, 2011 10:05 PM BST
Write to Paddy Power they would give you a trial are currently looking for young odds compilers.A knowledge of betting vital also a knowledge of maths,from reading your posts here you seem eminently qualified.
Report Rocketfingers April 23, 2011 10:39 PM BST
Excellent Maths & Excel skills and an encyclopedic knowledge of football, Racing, Rugby etc and then a decent knowledge of another 1 or 2 sports and you'll get a job.
Report slickster April 23, 2011 10:53 PM BST
copy betfair, shave 10% off job done. no knowledge required. sad but true. gives the true pro a decent edge if you do it right.....
Report Rocketfingers April 23, 2011 11:00 PM BST
Slickster i honestly don't think that is true on anything but horse racing ! Quite often the market has not yet formed with the prices come out. My neighbour worked in a bookies so he was telling me how it works and he got that info from the area manager mate.
Report slickster April 23, 2011 11:06 PM BST
stubby, like your clueless uncle wonky, you are cluelessly braindead. let it go. this forum is for professionals. you and wonky have no place on it.
Report Rocketfingers April 23, 2011 11:13 PM BST
Slickster are you saying you know more than my mate's area manager? Seriously we are all on here looking for tips and sharing info don't pretend to be a professional only ones that could be a pro is people like Wildman and WR.
Report slickster April 23, 2011 11:19 PM BST
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report slickster April 23, 2011 11:20 PM BST
wonky's a pro fool. wildfool is going down by the day. you are just braindead. hope this helps...
Report Rocketfingers April 23, 2011 11:28 PM BST
WR wrote a post the other day said he was a pro but got a little lazy and decided to stop which is fair enough, but i still think because he was a pro he is the best man to ask for advice. Wildman is class act and a really nice guy as well (WR likewise) i think he is the best man for the flat, WR maybe better at National Hunt.

You come on and just insult us you're nasty, you need to say sorry or leave me and my friends alone on here.
Report slickster April 23, 2011 11:32 PM BST
you and your "friends" are braindead and clueless. i don't know what else to say. unless i become insulting...
Report Rocketfingers April 23, 2011 11:43 PM BST
Wow man you don't give up dude.You have a serious jealousy problem because people don't ask your opinion and recognise you as a forum mug punter.
Report slickster April 24, 2011 12:14 AM BST
a fool worse than wonky??????????????????? surely not.................
Report TradeFair April 24, 2011 12:28 AM BST
Hope this article helps:

I Want Your Job: Odds Compiler
'You need to be nuts and have good intuition'

Interview by Colm McRae

Layne Nottin, 29, is the country's only married odds compiler. As chief racing compiler for ****, an online, telephone and interactive digital television bingo service, he works out the betting odds for the morning horse racing prices.

What does your job actually involve?

I work out the horse racing odds: everything from whether Jamie Spencer will get divorced to who will win the Jockeys Title. I'm usually in the office from 9am to 4pm, although on Fridays I stay late to cover the Dundalk meeting. Every morning, I read the Racing Post - in my job it's very important to keep up with what Tom Segal is tipping - and I'll have At The Races or Timeform Radio on in the background. I check all the bets placed overnight on Betfair to gauge how wrong the odds are on our overnight priced races and my tissue and alter them accordingly. I've always got my computer screen up, showing every profit and loss that we stand to make. I'm constantly reacting to what's going on, on the machine and adjusting odds - for example, if someone has a pony on a maiden hurdle in Gowran Park, the odds on the horse winning obviously increase so I'll go 9/4 from 7/2.

How did you get into becoming an odds compiler?

It was a complete career change for me. After doing anything that moved at university, I trained to be an accountant, but soon realised it wasn't my bag. I saw an advert for a "odds compiler"- someone with a passion for eating lots and good numeracy and communication skills. It seemed too good to be true when I got the job. It helped that I was sleeping with The HR managers daughter at the time.

What skills would someone need to do your job well?

It's handy to have good copy and pasting skills. My job doesn't require as much analysis of statistical information as our virtual racing and football odds compilers need to do, but it is important to be able to do spreadsheets.

I spend a lot of time researching races, so you need good research skills and an eye for seeing what thread on the Betfair forum has tipped up an attractive bet. You also need sound judgement and courage in your convictions in this job. There's a lot of money riding on your decisions, and you have to make them rapidly as the odds change on Powers minute by minute. A lot of the skill is intuition is required to keep one 'copy and paste' ahead of the game.

What advice would you give to someone interested in a career in compiling odds?

If you're compiling odds on sporting events, you need to be able to give an in-depth knowledge of sport when your talking, when you really have spent the morning getting on yourself with your marked card. A lot of my colleagues would agree that they're pretty obsessed with punting the company card rather than doing their job. The job involves working in the evenings, bank holidays and weekends, so you have to be prepared to work unsocial hours. It's hard to switch off and go on holiday, as you miss out on what's happening - so prepare to miss a Willie Musson handicap special!

What's best about it?

It's a brilliant feeling when your instincts have been right and you win something, but it's frustrating when you lose but hey it's the company'e money after all! There's so much riding on what prices you copy and paste and luck; it's really exciting. Although if I'm working out the odds for Royal Ascot, I have to actually go through the formbook - that can be torture!

What's the salary and career path like?

The salary is competitive and there are opportunities for bonuses. You might start as a junior odds compiler, and work up to being a senior odds compiler or managing a department. We work at the core of the business, because we're constantly monitoring profits and losses, so we can easily move into other areas of the company.

For more information, go to

The Sector Skills Council for hospitality, leisure and tourism, at www.people1st.co.uk; the Association of British Bookmakers , at www.abb.uk.com; and the Racing Post at www.racingpost.co.uk, have more information on betting industry careers.
Report never give up April 24, 2011 1:13 AM BST
which firm do u work for?
Report workrider April 24, 2011 1:14 AM BST
thickster is a betting shop manager...rowley mile knows him well...thats why hes never on here during racing ....i think he moonlights as a weather forecaster the odd time though ...he keeps giving the game away ..his stay away rocket this   thread is for pros only ...betting shop manager 00.1.
Report never give up April 24, 2011 1:18 AM BST
who does tradefair work for wr ?
Report Rocketfingers April 24, 2011 1:38 AM BST
Brilliant WR nice info :D
Report never give up April 24, 2011 1:44 AM BST
get to templepatrick on monday best p to p of the year
Report SatelliteFlight April 24, 2011 2:47 AM BST
wildmanfromborneo Joined: 30 Nov 10
Replies: 1919 23 Apr 11 22:05   
Write to Paddy Power they would give you a trial are currently looking for young odds compilers.A knowledge of betting vital also a knowledge of maths,from reading your posts here you seem eminently qualified.

i said i would not reply on this forum again and i apoligie for doing so but i felt this deserved a reply. this shower of jokers where looking for staff so i applied, yes little young me who they refuse to lay a greyhound bet too, i got told i didn't have the qualifications so why the fack are they so afraid to lay me a bet. in my opinion they quite obviously have no faith in there compiler who i will not name but still employ them. i am talking greyhounds and it may be different for other sports, i don't know but i found it ironic that i was not qualified for their job yet they refuse to lay me a bet.
Report SatelliteFlight April 24, 2011 2:53 AM BST
i should of made it clearer, obviously the application was for an odds compiler
Report Rowley Mile April 24, 2011 3:39 AM BST
'Thickster'  LaughCryLaughCry
Report GANT007 April 24, 2011 9:17 AM BST
One Irish firm employ a chap and his title is odds compiler.....he copies the prices from a leading english firm.......he is 19 or 20 paid a small wage.
Report celticboy April 24, 2011 9:40 AM BST
I make neill d a 1/2 chance of getting a job in the trade  ...  if he is TRYING!
Report neill d April 24, 2011 1:43 PM BST
Cheers for the replies lads, especially the positive ones.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com