Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Newmanix
12 Oct 10 09:39
| Topic/replies: 2,727 | Blogger: Newmanix's blog
Puzzles me why no home based players are even given a hint of a call up.  I know it has not been the norm before but this is the worst Irish team in decades.  A call up or two would be great for the LOI, the national team and the fans.  I cant think of any other national team with no home based players.
Pause Switch to Standard View Surely a LOI player or two would fare...
Show More
Report SamuelMorse October 12, 2010 9:48 AM BST
no offense , but loi is sh1t , really sh1t .
Report Giant Strides October 12, 2010 10:09 AM BST
The current crop is definitely not good enough.

Why are you now always first to criticize SM? Get a life.
Report Newmanix October 12, 2010 10:10 AM BST
I know its poor, but Green is just making up the numbers in mid field.
Report Giant Strides October 12, 2010 10:42 AM BST
Well, who knows what goes on in Traps mind!?
If Staunton was picking these guys everbody would call him a fool, but because most people presume Trap knows what he doing, he generally escapes that censure.
Lose tonight and the knives will be out for sure.
Report SamuelMorse October 12, 2010 10:43 AM BST
truth hurts .
Report Giant Strides October 12, 2010 10:50 AM BST
I don`t play in the league. Why would the truth hurt me?
I`m just proud to support my local club. Simple as.
Unlike so many pathetic Irishmen, who consider watching British/European football on their couch, as the staple diet of being a sportsfan.
Report Giant Strides October 12, 2010 11:00 AM BST
Respect to all LOI fans.
Yes, even you wr! Grin
Report waysidewill October 12, 2010 11:06 AM BST
Irish international managers leave it up to English clubs to decide what players are ready to move up from LOI eg Doyle, Fahy, Murphy etc. Even Kerr with such strong LOI connections deemed this the best approach.
Report one track mind October 12, 2010 11:17 AM BST
league isnt as strong as it was 5 years ago and players couldnt get in then
Report workrider October 12, 2010 11:40 AM BST
Cool giant .
Report db1974 October 12, 2010 11:42 AM BST
Never really got the whole "true Irish soccer fans" thing

If you're a real soccer fan then why would you watch an inferior league

Not saying I think people should sign up to Sky to watch the Premiership every week but people who think they are true soccer fans because they support LOI are deluded
Report workrider October 12, 2010 11:44 AM BST
db 1974 answer me this  , are people who watch gaa in the uk deluded ?
Report db1974 October 12, 2010 11:48 AM BST
Not necessarily.

I didn't say people who watch LOI are deluded. I said people who think they are true soccer fans because they watch LOI are deluded.

Important difference.

I'm not knocking LOI fans. I'm knocking those who think they are somehow better than other soccer fans who prefer to follow a team in the UK.
Report waysidewill October 12, 2010 11:50 AM BST
Absolutely 100% spot on db1974.
Report one track mind October 12, 2010 12:00 PM BST
95% of those "the world owes me something coz i follow an loi team" are hypocrites as they all no doubt follow "sellthick"
Report workrider October 12, 2010 12:02 PM BST
so true gaa fans in the uk are deluded then , because i'm sure they feel proud of their teams london etc etc , also they feel they belong to the gaa community .is it because they are not totally irish and their league is not up to irish gaa standards that they are deluded . because i've  had experiance of some irish people who were devoted to the gaa in london  in the70s .their sons played every weekend and the parents went to every match and were so proud of them , but according to your way of thinking they would not be real gaa supporters .
Report MALAY October 12, 2010 12:07 PM BST
If more people watched loi than the ****y overrated, overpaid epl, then the standard of football would improve as more finance would be available. Go out on a night and support your local team, have a pie and bovril,maybe a pint in the social club, you will enjoy it and identify with the club instead of  wearing an epl replica top in a pub, with torres or giggs on the back.
Report one track mind October 12, 2010 12:12 PM BST
in the good days down here we'd get 6500 but the supporters are so fickle down here that the team had to be challenging for the league and it had to be bohs/rvs/drogs playing.. barely get 3500 for most games... the intrest just isnt there its the way its been for donkeys its the way it'll sadly be for donkeys
Report waysidewill October 12, 2010 12:22 PM BST
Malay, most people actually do all what your saying in watching and identifying with their local club, but in Ireland it is generally a GAA team. Just like in the US it will be a baseball or US football team or an Aussie rules team in Australia etc.
Report Rocketfingers October 12, 2010 1:04 PM BST
db i think true fanatics or supporters go and watch their team and support it week in week out. The dig is at people who watch football every year from their sitting room etc.
Report db1974 October 12, 2010 1:36 PM BST
Just because someone is a fanatic about a team doesn't mean that they are a true fan of the sport as such

Would you prefer Rovers to win 1-0 having played rubbish than lose 4-3 playing like Brazil?
Report Rocketfingers October 12, 2010 1:58 PM BST
Obviously i take the 1-0 win, i mean no offense db but that's a daft questionBlush and it does not mean i am 'not' fan of the sport i just have priorities. Season ticket holders in Anfield who watch Liverpool have not seen good football in years and years does this mean they are not fans of the sport because they still but it each season? I have no probs with people who travel to support their team i have a problem with those that think supporting your team is a matter of watching them with a pint in their hand.
Report db1974 October 12, 2010 2:36 PM BST
Why would you have a problem with someone watching a match in a pub?
Report Rocketfingers October 12, 2010 2:59 PM BST
How can you support a team that way? What support do you give your team and how do you encourage them? You know they can't hear you !!!Laugh
Report one track mind October 12, 2010 3:02 PM BST
bit harsh on people there rocket
Report spiderico October 12, 2010 3:03 PM BST
Doyle, Long, Coleman, Fahey, Murphy all players currently in the squad who've played in the league of ireland in the last couple of years.
there are definately players good enough. for example i would say Paul Keegan is a better player than Paul Green.
Report one track mind October 12, 2010 3:06 PM BST
joe gamble the last player from d loi to be capped i'd say is he
Report db1974 October 12, 2010 3:26 PM BST
Just because a player played LOI and then subsequently went on to be capped doesn't mean they were good enough at that time to be capped.

I think the LOI need an overhaul to try to encourage people to come to the matches.

1 thing I would like to see is an application to UEFA to allow a representative team to enter the Champions League instead of the League Champions. IMO this would give the League a better chance of having a team reach the group stages which should mean bigger teams over to Ireland which, in turn, means more money in the coffers of the League.

The League champions would then enter the Europa League and/or would be compensated with a portion of the Champions League gate receipts.
Report galway59 October 12, 2010 4:18 PM BST
What champions league receipts are you on about?.An Irish team made of LOI jackeens would be a laughing stock,and nobody would want to go and see them.Ireland doesnt deserve representation in the Champions League simply because it doesnt have any teams good enough.You are talking teams who are no better than conference teams who shouldnt be allowed next nor near the Champions League.
Report Giant Strides October 12, 2010 4:31 PM BST
So minnow footballing countries don`t deserve the right to qualify for the competition, is that correct?
Why do you bother?
Report galway59 October 12, 2010 4:53 PM BST
No minnow footbaling countries dont deserve to qualify as all they do is create meaningless fixtures early in the year.Teams like Juventus shouldnt have to come and play rubbish teams like Shamrock Rovers just to get to the next stage.Its utterly pointless to have these teams in such a prestigious competition.
Report tobywong. October 12, 2010 5:01 PM BST
slightly off topic but champions league groups should be reduced to 4 x 5 teams with 2 quaifying for quarter finals , there are a lot of rubbish games in the current format.
Report db1974 October 12, 2010 5:07 PM BST
But sure if they don't do something, smaller countries would never improve

Like in 2001 when Galway won the All-Ireland they did so through the back-door. Otherwise a mickey-mouse county would never win an All-Ireland!
Report kavvie October 12, 2010 5:10 PM BST
galway 59 you talk a lot of sense.
Report galway59 October 12, 2010 5:18 PM BST
Thank you kavvie,the irish psyche is always that we need and deserve to be involved at the top level in  most sports.I dont see the point in Irish sprinters going to the olympics competing against Bolt and his contemporaries,the same way that i dont see why Shamrock Rovers have any business in the same competition as Barcelona.
Report db1974 October 12, 2010 5:26 PM BST
Ah but such is the beauty of the Beatiful Game - even the minnows get to dream of playing at the Big 1 - all 205 countries from Brazil and Spain down to Vanuatu and Comoros all get the chance to prove themselves worthy of participation on the big stage

No need for a 2-tiered structure as in inter-county hurling
Report huddys October 12, 2010 5:33 PM BST
great post malay,unlike alot of the fools thatpost anti loi here,
Report kavvie October 12, 2010 5:35 PM BST
they should organise something for bohs and rovers against the conference champions,the scottish 3rd division champions etc. and maybe linfield and the like.the welsh champions would be too strong for them as witnessed earlier in the year(tns)
Report Giant Strides October 12, 2010 6:44 PM BST
Watch out Platini. Galway59 is after your job.Cry
Report workrider October 12, 2010 7:01 PM BST
kavvie the cabbie . tell me something on you on something Shocked  you and toxic must be the biggist nutters on here ffs    .
Report workrider October 12, 2010 7:02 PM BST
db 1974. you never answered my question re our gaa across the irish sea .?
Report kavvie October 12, 2010 7:04 PM BST
am i right or wrong?why do u think im a nutter?whats false about what i said please?
Report workrider October 12, 2010 7:14 PM BST
you're whole mentality screams out that your a nutter , your rationale is to say the least blunted .
Report kavvie October 12, 2010 7:17 PM BST
you must have used spell check there.not one error!!well done.my rationale is based on the facts as i see them presented to me.name one instance where anything i said wasnt factual??.
Report workrider October 12, 2010 7:28 PM BST
i dont want to be here all night ffs . have a look at yourself son .going to watch my beloved country playing on tv .
Report db1974 October 12, 2010 7:37 PM BST
kavvie
name one instance where anything i said wasnt factual??.

How about here - "galway 59 you talk a lot of sense."

[;)]

WR - I answered your question in my very next post
Report tobywong. October 12, 2010 7:49 PM BST
workrider calling somebody a nutter Shocked
Report workrider October 12, 2010 8:23 PM BST
tobywnaker , has arrived to help his mad mate Laugh the clowns of ireland Laugh
Report thegalwayman October 12, 2010 8:28 PM BST
Bit ridiculous to suggest that success in the loi means you are ready for international football. The guys that went to England and did well have had to improve significantly over there. Fahey's improvement has been gradual and arriving in the championship was a help. He has done very well and has been good tonight. You can point to Kevin Doyle, who scored goals with Cork and say he was ready, but what about a guy like Roy O'Donovan who scored more and has been a flop? Jay O'Shea looked like El Diego in the loi and has hardly been sighted at Birmingham.
Report workrider October 12, 2010 8:32 PM BST
no you diden't  , do you belive gaa  supporters in the uk  are deluded because obviously gaa in the uk is not as good as what we have here , so therefore they are deluded for watching , and are not true gaa supporters .
Report one track mind October 12, 2010 10:37 PM BST
Db joe gamble was at cork city when he got capped.. good night for ex loi players tonight shane long and keith fahey our two best players imo
Report donal October 13, 2010 12:07 AM BST
Agree 100% with the very first post!!
Report Newmanix October 13, 2010 9:20 AM BST
I think I will add Glen (dont give a f~ck) Whelan to the list.
Report db1974 October 13, 2010 11:38 AM BST
workrider
no you diden't  , do you belive gaa  supporters in the uk  are deluded because obviously gaa in the uk is not as good as what we have here , so therefore they are deluded for watching , and are not true gaa supporters .

If someone in the UK goes to GAA games in the UK and considers themselves a better, "truer" supporter than someone else in the UK who watches the games on TV every Sunday, then yes, they are deluded.

Each to their own IMO and fair play to those who traipse around the country following their team or whatever but they are no better or worse a supporter than anyone else IMO

Is a man who trains kids 2 evenings a week and then a match every weekend less of a true football man than someone who follows a team one day a week?

Is a man who actually plays the sport a couple of times a week less of a true football fan than someone who follows a team one day a week?

Is a man who sponsors a football club for little personal gain less of a true football fan than someone who follows a team one day a week?

Fans who stand on terraces have a very inflated opinion of themselves when it comes to issues like who is the bigger better fan but IMO they are no more (or less) important than either of the 3 men described above when it comes to being a true supporter of the game in this (or any other) country.
Report workrider October 13, 2010 11:48 AM BST
so to be a true supporter iyo you can sit at home and watch them on tv . i was going to take you seriously , but after that , no . if i sit at home and watch my team on the box week after week how do they get the finances to survive ffs . sorry mate but true fans are the ones who go out on a winters night pay their cash and vocally supports their team , the others have heart rights imo .they might have them in their hearts , but sadly clubs dont survive on love alone . off to punchestown soon so will talk to you later .
Report GANT007 October 13, 2010 2:29 PM BST
Workrider your team don't play in the winter.....summer soccer league.
Report workrider October 13, 2010 6:37 PM BST
in name only brains , i think you'll find summer finished a little while ago Laugh
Report kavvie October 13, 2010 6:52 PM BST
was 18 degreees today so its not winter yet?
Report workrider October 13, 2010 6:54 PM BST
kavvie not in punchestown it wasen't , i really think you should have yourself checked out son , i'm starting to worry about you .
Report kavvie October 13, 2010 6:59 PM BST
well where i was it was..
Report kavvie October 13, 2010 7:00 PM BST
and please dont worry about me!!
Report Rocketfingers October 13, 2010 7:05 PM BST
gantoo thinks it's summer still lol
Report workrider October 13, 2010 7:14 PM BST
kavvie , ask your doc for help , i'm sure he'll put you in contact with someone that can help .
Report dundalk1977 October 13, 2010 7:20 PM BST
keegan,shelly,or oman of bohs,surely these guys deserve at least a call up to the squad.If they were with scunthorpe or rochdale they would be in the panel.
Report sirwinalot October 13, 2010 7:22 PM BST
To digress from the squabbling and address the opening poster's point...

The League of Ireland has dropped in standard in the last few years as the realization of the unsustainability of full-time football set in. The best players in the league have generally left our shores to persue a full-time living from the game.

It would be tokenism to give a LOI player a call up. Most of the players that there would have been a relatively recent clamour among LOI fans to call up have now moved away and some are making international progress such as Seamus Coleman and Keith Fahey.

The Irish U23 squad consists entirely of LOI players. One would hope Trapp and Tardelli are well briefed on these games and ideally are attending them too.

The pool of talented Irish players both home and abroad is shallow at the moment. There are several Irish players competing at a higher level than LOI players that are probably worth a look ahead of the cream of our national league.
Report Rocketfingers October 13, 2010 7:26 PM BST
Richie Ryan may be the best of what is left in the league of Ireland, players mentioned above, he's a bit classy. Shelly, Oman, Keegan and Brennan are all decent including John Russell but not sure if there is Keith Fahey or a Seamie Coleman kncoking around the league. Fair enough points Sirwinalot
Report workrider October 13, 2010 7:30 PM BST
sirwinalot were as i agree with most of your points and you put them very well i might add , but a player dundalk mentions keegan of bohs would deserve at least a call up to the squad . he's been the best player in the loi for a number of years now and should at least be looked at by trap .
Report applehunter October 13, 2010 7:42 PM BST
Keegan = meh

We have enough hackers
Report workrider October 13, 2010 7:47 PM BST
applehunter , i have to say i've been taken with this lad for a few years , without him bohs are not the same team . he's their playmaker general stop him and you stop bohs ... i really think he's better than what we have in place a the moment .
Report Rocketfingers October 13, 2010 8:56 PM BST
I agree with you on the point about Bohs not being the same without him but not good enough for the national team.
Report workrider October 13, 2010 9:02 PM BST
better than whats on display atm rocket imo.
Report one track mind October 14, 2010 11:33 AM BST
there isnt a player in the loi who should be near the squad.. no one near good enough. keegan wouldnt get in ahead of green at derby ffs
Report Giant Strides October 14, 2010 12:53 PM BST
Keegan for Ireland!!!???
Are you kidding me? He wouldn`t be in my best Bohs 11 this season. Well below par. Missing Deegan.
The only player in the current league I would suggest that could have an impact is Stephen O`Donnell of Galway. Intelligent player and top class when fully fit.
Report one track mind October 14, 2010 2:56 PM BST
ahh giant stevie sideways??? couldnt have him he was utter garbage when he was down here..
Report Cupwinkcook October 14, 2010 8:42 PM BST
best player I've seen in the L of I over the last 10 years is Wes Hoolahan.

Plying his trade at a reasonable level in England.

Doesn't give away possession. I'd have him in instead of some of  the midfield donkeys.
Report rock piper October 14, 2010 10:50 PM BST
There are a current international and a former international currently playing for Sligo Rovers, but most of the knockers here would not not know that, nethier do they understand the distinction between being a football supporter and being a soccer fan. Football Supporters are localists  at heart, the club is a badge of tribal indentity and is far more important than events on the pitch, though events on the pitch can cause people such cruel, cruel pain that they give up attending games all together.

I have to laugh at the soccer connoisseurs on here and elsewhereon Irish boards, "Oh I wouldn't got to a LOI game the standard is appalling", the majority of football supporters worldwide do not go to support their team because they are expect to be entertained, they go in spite of the misery, the rain, the cold, the **** toilets, the losing streaks, the mediocrity on the pitch, dear tickets and rancid pies, they go for local pride, fleeting glory, and out of sheer stubborn habit.

Soccer fans read the red tops, watch a bit of telly, wear a replica (replica, what an apt term) and discuss it at work, or should I say they repeat to each other what they have picked up from the media. Watching football or a player on TV in no way compares to the understanding you get from watching live football and you it really helps to be watching it week in week out, season in season out city breaks with a game included don't count. The other thing I noticed about the replicants I have seen at games beyant, is they are constantly seeking cues from, and approval from the locals, they simply do not know how to behave at a football game. It just ain't in them.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby October 15, 2010 12:22 AM BST
Problem is Rock, Top grade football(by Irish standards) is not "Localised".

Its Dublin-centric. There in lies a major problem in Irish football.
Report Giant Strides October 15, 2010 12:31 AM BST
Great post rp.
I think the terms fair weather fans/ event junkies also apply.

You didn`t fancy O`Donnell one track. In fairness he had awful luck with injuries in Cork. 2 seasons ago he was immense for us. Total c#ck though.

Hoolahan was indeed excellent cupwink. He`s getting on a bit now but by all accounts still one of Norwichs` best.
Report The Bhoys October 15, 2010 3:41 PM BST
I really cant believe how bad green is. And whelen is not much better. I dont really rate gibson but he is better than them 2 clowns
Report one track mind October 15, 2010 6:49 PM BST
he had a fair few injuries alrite.. it wasnt me that gave him that nickname it was the players ha!!! kevin hunt(english i know) is the best player ive seen in the last 12 years
Report Cupwinkcook October 15, 2010 9:55 PM BST
O'Donnell looked muck in his first few games for Cork, ,blighted also by ill-discipline.

By the end of his stay, he was very very good.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com