Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Dark Destroyer
04 Nov 09 13:26
| Topic/replies: 3,916 | Blogger: Dark Destroyer's blog
I am sorry, and pretty hacked off, to say that the UK handicapper has seen fit to rate TS 148 for the Paddy Power next weekend - 6lbs higher than his Irish mark.
Show More
Report jameschildshieldwinner November 4, 2009 2:47 PM GMT
Very unfair.
Report thegalwayman November 4, 2009 3:05 PM GMT
According to Noel O'Brien in the Irish Field on the 10th of October, there was an agreement in place that any horse rated over 140 in Ireland ran off that mark in the UK (except in the Aintree National). I have not been able to establish whether Phil Smith no longer feels bound by this agreement, but I suspect that may be the case as Casey Jones (149) was entered in a handicap chase in England last weekend (not declared) and had been allotted a mark of 153. Tranquil Sea's mark lends further credence to my theory.

I have made some inquiries but my investigation into this matter has borne no fruit. Perhaps one of the experts on here are aware of some change to this agreement?

I suspect that the most likely answer is that Phil Smith is a man who does what he likes when he likes.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 4, 2009 3:22 PM GMT
Eddie was expectin as much
Report thegalwayman November 4, 2009 4:04 PM GMT
I think you have made a mistake here. This thread was only started today.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 4, 2009 4:50 PM GMT
TGM have a look on the Horse Antepost forum ffs
Report Giant Strides November 4, 2009 4:55 PM GMT
Saturday was his Gold cup. I`ll be opposing him wherever he turns up next.
Report workrider November 4, 2009 5:11 PM GMT
i agree giant, i think this horse is soft .
Report manifesto November 4, 2009 5:46 PM GMT
Maybe something to do with The Last Derby winning a 100k hcap chase by 5l at Ascot on Saturday?
Report Giant Strides November 4, 2009 6:17 PM GMT
If this thread is about Tranquil Sea then I didn`t even have him in my calculations for the PP. Not sure if he`s soft or not wr, but he certainly had everything in his favour at Naas. They should put him away until February, March and freshen him up for some uncompetitive Gr 3 around Thurles or other. Thats his level. I`d be surprised if I`m wrong.
If it`s about the handicapping differentials between our nudge nudge wink wink merchants and those across the water, then give me Smith and co`s opinion anyday. You can only laugh at some of O`Briens figures. At the start of last season he had Catch Me on 147 despite spreadeagling a Gr 2 field at Gowran! :^0
Report workrider November 4, 2009 6:41 PM GMT
very good synopsis giant strides , this is a horse thats not quiet up to top class imo .goes well fresh but needs everything to fall into place
Report Giant Strides November 4, 2009 6:46 PM GMT
:D
Report Giant Strides November 4, 2009 6:47 PM GMT
]:)
Report Giant Strides November 4, 2009 6:48 PM GMT
Sorry. Just showing my young girl some smileys!
Report STELLAR MANIPULATOR November 5, 2009 6:20 AM GMT
Joanna Morgan is reportedly pleased that Raise Your Heart has only 10 stone 7 lbs in the Greatwood but by my calculations that equates to an official BHA mark of 146 which is 9lbs in excess of its Turf Club rating - it is possible that the BHA team have taken a view on his form at Cork beating Silver Jaro ( who they have rated far higher than his home mark ) but surely they didnt take his improved flat form into account in making their calculations ?
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 5, 2009 12:25 PM GMT
B-)
Report dkelly69 November 5, 2009 1:14 PM GMT
Been well beaten off lower marks in England previous.
No reason to raise his english mark on the back
of that cork win in the bath!
You could be right about the improved flat form.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 11, 2009 11:51 AM GMT
The Boss was just on ATR.........gave him a good e/w chance

Happy with the 14's
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 11, 2009 10:22 PM GMT
TRANQUIL SEA has been promoted to favourite for the Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham on Saturday by Ladbrokes and William Hill, after heavy support was reported for the Irish raider.

The Edward O'Grady-trained seven-year-old was cut to 5-1 (from 8) by Ladbrokes, to 11-2 (from 9) by William Hill and to 13-2 (from 9) by Coral.

Hayley O'Connor of Ladbrokes said: "Although O'Grady does have reservations about Tranquil Sea, punters clearly believe he has progressed enough to be in with a major chance.

"We laid him all day and as a result he's into 5-1 favouritism from a morning quote of 8-1."

Even though Coral are still offering a bigger price than their competitors, spokesman David Stevens does not believe it will last long.

Stevens said: "The Irish haven't won this race since 1980, but the money we've seen for Tranquil Sea in the past 24 hours suggests that long wait may be about to end, and at this rate Tranquil Seacould well start favourite on Saturday."

Tranquil Sea, a Grade 1 winner at Punchestown as a novice hurdler, won only one of his five chases in his first campaign over fences last season but on his reppearance last month he landeda Grade 3 chase at Naas.

Other Paddy Power contenders to come in for support were the Paul Nicholls-trained Tatenen, now 10-1 (from 12), and Ballyfitz, who is as short as 12-1 (from 20) after his trainer Nigel Twiston-Davies issued a positive bulletin about him.
Report scoobytoo November 12, 2009 8:45 AM GMT
really really fancied this in last years jewson and took the trouble to watch all of its races before...my first thought was that indeed the horse was soft -but watching its races theres none where it could have won that it didnt.
If anything I just think the horse idles and some of the horses its beat for me are pretty doughty.
As the trainer says its got an excellent each way chance on sat in what I think is a substandard PP
Report downallstar November 12, 2009 8:57 AM GMT
His jumping let him down in the Jewson last year, and was under too much cover, to recover and get involved. He did finish really well having looked stuffed and did pass a lot of horses on the run-in.
He does handle the course, as he did lead to 2 out in the Supreme the year before, but they kinda cut their throats in front, but he did manage to finish 6th or 7th. Was worried he didnt get up the hill after the supreme, but he def got up it last year, was just too far back. Third time lucky ;)
Report Dark Destroyer November 12, 2009 11:49 AM GMT
Still would liked him to run off 142 :^0
Report soapp November 12, 2009 3:27 PM GMT
He said today that after he won at Punchestown in April 2008, when he was let down a bird spooked him and as a result he was stood still for May, June and July in his box. Thats the reason he is giving for his form tailing off last season.
This summer he was out in the field for the full 3 months.
Report Biodiesel November 13, 2009 2:35 PM GMT
horses for courses, Cheltenham aint his track!
Report downallstar November 13, 2009 9:01 PM GMT
Wouldn't say that Bio, ran well, if too free in the Sup; and stayed on well in the Jewson despite poor jumping.

Never out of the first 2 on Heavy btw - 2,1,2,1,2,1- sft/hvy lto.
Report Swinia November 14, 2009 10:07 AM GMT
^^^^ was a remote 5th on sft/hvy in drinmore
Report downallstar November 14, 2009 10:14 AM GMT
^^^^that was offically Soft.
Report Swinia November 14, 2009 12:25 PM GMT
Sunday November 30 2008
Race Result Fairyhouse 13:40 - Result
Bar One Racing Drinmore Novice Chase (grade 1)
€90000 added, 5yo plus, 2m 4f, €58500 penalty, 8 ran
Going: Soft, Soft/Heavy in places
Race Report »
Winning Time Winning Time: 5m 22.7s

i can assure it was was more than soft
Report downallstar November 14, 2009 12:46 PM GMT
Fair enough swim, but you get the point surely.
Report Swinia November 14, 2009 12:48 PM GMT
i do indeed..sorry been pedantic !!! he has a serious chance, could be a grade 1 hoss, i've him backed at 10's....
Report downallstar November 14, 2009 12:48 PM GMT
:)
Report downallstar November 14, 2009 1:43 PM GMT
YYYEEEEEHHHAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW
:D :D :D
Report gentlemanjohn November 14, 2009 1:44 PM GMT
Laughed at them. Great performance
Report workrider November 14, 2009 1:45 PM GMT
i hang me head , you proved me wrong t.s.
Report BJG November 14, 2009 1:45 PM GMT
:p
Report Dark Destroyer November 14, 2009 1:45 PM GMT
A pleasing result.
Report Swinia November 14, 2009 1:46 PM GMT
booooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm if you look at my horses to follows named this fellow.... €100 double at 10's now going onto trafford at 16' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report downallstar November 14, 2009 1:47 PM GMT
Swin ;)

That was awesome!!!!

GL with that bet!!! B-)
Report Eye Mall Inn November 14, 2009 1:52 PM GMT
wd to the backers, he always promised a big day at some stage
Report Swinia November 14, 2009 1:52 PM GMT
unreal...... tried to get another tonne just before the off and vc's site went down..... major pi$$ed off... he's a class act that animal
Report closure November 14, 2009 1:54 PM GMT
O Grady is different Gravy when it comes to England and Cheltenham in particular
Report The Icchantika November 14, 2009 1:57 PM GMT
I did my hoop backing this cnut on more than one occasion last year.
Report sewter lives again November 14, 2009 1:57 PM GMT
DD it seems both handicappers got it wrong, just that PS got it less wrong than his Irish counterpart
Report The Icchantika November 14, 2009 1:59 PM GMT
It is a different scale.
Report Dark Destroyer November 14, 2009 2:02 PM GMT
As his trainer barely turned a hair at the "unfair" mark I suppose I should have taken the clear hint and topped up again!

Mustn't get greedy though.
Report sewter lives again November 14, 2009 2:16 PM GMT
DD, Im still kicking myself stupid as had him in all my 10TF lists last year, and thought he was a real horse. Left him out this year.
Report macrocky November 14, 2009 2:43 PM GMT
Well done DD good to see you are still hitting the books
Report Dark Destroyer November 14, 2009 3:13 PM GMT
Cheers Macrocky B-)
Report platinni November 14, 2009 3:37 PM GMT
wp DD

i even heard jessie h say he was a top horse and didnt back him :(
Report all over November 14, 2009 4:59 PM GMT
well done
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 14, 2009 7:44 PM GMT
wd.......where next I wonder ?
Report slickster November 14, 2009 11:42 PM GMT
only thing "soft" on this thread is wonkyrider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a clueless clown.
Report badger's back November 14, 2009 11:45 PM GMT
good man slickster.
the supreme after-timer.
give us a tip ya clown :D
Report badger's back November 14, 2009 11:46 PM GMT
still waiting bookie boy ;)
Report Giant Strides November 15, 2009 12:14 AM GMT
Well done winners. Still only a Gr 3 race though! :p
Humble pie sucks. :(
Report slickster November 15, 2009 1:59 AM GMT
d bro got well weighed in badger............ HE LISTENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report badger's back November 15, 2009 7:51 PM GMT
slckster-i know you happened to back tranquil sea but its a bit rich contributing on the thread when the race is over and**ging off other lads who have the balls to say something before the race

ps-ask my brother about my 20/1 winner today :)
Report slickster November 15, 2009 8:34 PM GMT
firstly badger im not giving free "tips" to the mugs on here.

secondly you have the cheek to call me an after timer????????????????

20-1 winners should be put on the forum BEFORE they win.......... cheers.
Report badger's back November 15, 2009 9:24 PM GMT
firstly-i happened to be in nowlan park today so no access to the net.
secondly-the 20/1 winner was the draw in the rugby.pure luck
thirdly-why do you bother posting on here
Report Rowley Mile November 15, 2009 9:34 PM GMT
get a room lads
Report eskimo November 16, 2009 6:18 PM GMT
+14lbs.. no more handicaps for TS
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com