Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Carveth
27 Sep 21 15:39
| Topic/replies: 30 | Blogger: Carveth's blog
Posted by Zephyrus, US Racing Forum, 19 SEP 2021:

Most probably in the next months we are going to watch the end of this track.

"Racing has declined to the point at which the large land areas, which most big tracks possess, is worth more if sold to real estate or developer interests. I fully expect downstate New York racing to go the same way one day. I always thought Aqueduct would go first, but I'm beginning to think Belmont might also be either shrunk dramatically or sold in total to developers. They certainly have declined horribly, both in terms of track accommodations and attendance. Back in the day, tracks were owned by sportsmen and women could never have foreseen this day — but unfortunately, it's here."

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/reader-mail-bag-adieu-to-arlington/

AP belongs to Churchill Downs Inc. Other tracks were closed down the last decade, and some of them were available on exchange markets. I'm thinking about Beulah Park, Atlantic City and Suffolk Downs. Horse racing is not popular among younger people and there are many risks ahead like though regulations imposed by animal rights activists.

My reply to Zephyrus: Greg Wood (The Guardian) has written an interesting article about how it came about "Arlington track’s demise down to the ominous growth of gaming" (published 19 AUG 2021).

Do we think this might happen here due to online gaming/betting on other sports such as football? Or can racecourses survive on getting enough people through the gate (if alcohol is provided!). And are there any racecourses that are particularly vulnerable in the UK, excluding Kempton Park (that is known about) that we are aware of?
Pause Switch to Standard View Last race meeting at Arlington Park...
Show More
Report swiftynifty September 27, 2021 4:09 PM BST
I hope that racinos are discussed again, get in all the compulsives on the machines and tables, with all profits funding the racing prize money. I don't know how near the Wolverhampton racino proposal was to ever taking off. Legislation to allow them Tote exclusivity on each meeting.
Report sparrow September 27, 2021 4:26 PM BST
Surprised to hear this of Arlington but younger people seem more interested in other areas of gambling as the OP has hinted at.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com