Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
know all
18 Sep 20 07:29
| Topic/replies: 3,008 | Blogger: know all's blog
daily mail on line

Former Labour MP and anti-gambling campaigner Tom Watson has taken a job advising a betting firm that owns Paddy Power and SkyBet.

Mr Watson will join Flutter Entertainment, one of the UK's biggest gambling firms, and advise them on best practice, as reported by The Financial Times.

The 53-year-old has been a vocal campaigner for tougher restrictions on the industry which has been under the spotlight this year for its treatment of vulnerable gambling addicts.

It comes amid a government review of the 2005 Gambling Act in Autumn this year, which could potentially lead to further regulation of betting firms.

Tom Watson (pictured outside Labour HQ in July last year) will join Flutter Entertainment, one of the UK's biggest gambling firms, and advise them on best practice    +1
Tom Watson (pictured outside Labour HQ in July last year) will join Flutter Entertainment, one of the UK's biggest gambling firms, and advise them on best practice

Mr Watson said: 'I have a long-standing interest in this sector and consistently called for action to protect those that may be potentially vulnerable to harm.

'In taking on this role in Flutter, I intend to get under the bonnet of the business.

He added: 'I strongly believe that working collaboratively with Flutter in this way will allow me to continue to drive positive change'.   

Mr Watson resigned from his West Bromwich East seat in 2019, choosing not to contest the general election.

He was the former deputy leader of the Labour Party and survived an attempt by Jeremy Corbyn allies to oust him.

Mr Watson - who first entered parliament in 2001 - was one of the most prominent campaigning MPs in the country. He rose to prominence after his role in exposing the hacking scandal at the Rupert Murdoch-owned News of the World.

He also wrote a best-selling book called 'Downsizing' about his battle to lose eight-stone and reverse his Type-2 Diabetes.

It is not the first role Mr Watson has taken up since he left front-line politics. He was appointed Chairman of UK music in April this year. The industry group represents the interests of the UK music industry.

Peter Jackson, chief executive at Flutter Entertainment, said:  'We have to work harder than ever before to find a way to continue to bring great products and brands to our customers while always having the need to protect the vulnerable clearly in mind. Tom will hold a mirror up to help us make sure we are getting this balance right,'
Pause Switch to Standard View Anti-gambling ex labour lTom Watson...
Show More
Report know all September 18, 2020 7:34 AM BST
wow thats a turn up and surely they now have control over his actions and outspoken anti gambling ? money talks and the gambling industry have many mps under there belt as its a multi millions pounds they need to protect
Report GLASGOWCALLING September 18, 2020 8:23 AM BST
Anyone got a sick bucket.? Cry
Report Richie_Burnett September 18, 2020 8:53 AM BST
I thought he was pro-responsible gambling as opposed to "anti-gambling" though I wouldn't expect the daily fail to tell the truth.
Report sparrow September 18, 2020 9:06 AM BST
Being an anti Corbyn man was far more important to the ordinary person than his views on responsible betting or whatever.
Report stewarts rise September 18, 2020 9:29 AM BST
Wonder what huge salary this non job will pay him for this part time work, together with his salary for his expertise in the music industry.
Report Facts September 18, 2020 9:43 AM BST
Not at all surprised.
A guy who has no principles whatsoever.
Report saddo September 18, 2020 9:44 AM BST
Aye, MP's all the same, gravy and more gravy.
Report MasterPapa September 18, 2020 10:20 AM BST
The guardian says he is understood to being paid a retainer of £100,000.This coming on the same day that Chris Grayling was reported to have accepted a position as an advisor to a port company,again for £100,000.

Absolutely unbelievable,you could not make this up.
Report sparrow September 18, 2020 10:56 AM BST
If I were a shareholder in one of these companies I might be concerned about an individuals salary but otherwise I couldn't care less what they pay people as long as they paid their taxes properly and in full.
Report Cantthinkofaclevername September 18, 2020 11:54 AM BST
It is possible that he could use his new position to influence for good. I would love to see his contract and whether it contains a gagging clause.
Report BARROWBOY September 18, 2020 11:55 AM BST
After his role in the paedo ring nonsense the bloke should retire to the country & be thankful he wasn’t sued to high heaven.some front these politicians.
Report impossible123 September 18, 2020 12:01 PM BST
Gamekeeper turned poacher. I wonder if the remuneration was responsible for this decision. If so, money does talk; can't beat them, join them!
Report dave1357 September 18, 2020 12:04 PM BST
When he looks at the small print he'll find out that they are paying him in free bets.
Report breadnbutter September 18, 2020 12:08 PM BST
A betting firm that owns pp and sb, lol, pp shareholders own 52% of bf, did a simple name change alter that? They done it for the munee, run out of ire (the EU lol lol lol) for reduced corporate tax?

Sorry to diverse,but  yea it's a murkey old lark innit.
Report dave1357 September 18, 2020 12:21 PM BST
flutter also owns the stars group and skybet - there is no such thing as "pp shareholders" and hasn't been for years.
Report Davy Jones September 18, 2020 12:30 PM BST
What a sell out
Report breadnbutter September 18, 2020 12:38 PM BST
We hear yer
Report Richie_Burnett September 18, 2020 1:02 PM BST

Sep 18, 2020 -- 6:30AM, Davy Jones wrote:

What a sell out

How is it selling out? It's merely an continuation of what he was doing in the commmons - but in/funded by the private sector. He is obviously infinitely more qualified for this role than Grayling is for the shipping one.

Report impossible123 September 18, 2020 1:19 PM BST
A cosy position similar but not as lucrative as Mr Nick Clegg, the former leader of the Liberal Party. I'm sure Mr Watson could have sat on committees or entities not conducive to bookies to retain his independence, objectivity and impartiality. But, hey...money talks.
Report Petraco September 18, 2020 1:23 PM BST
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Sun Tzu

Cool
Report impossible123 September 18, 2020 1:31 PM BST
But this is not party politics or hierarchy in a major plc corporation. It's only a bookmaking entity who stole zillions from fobt addicts and did very little to its negative consequences.
Report chelsea girl September 18, 2020 1:36 PM BST
Did he ever apologise for his actions?

Greville Janner
Lord Bramall
Leon Brittan

A sl*meball of the highest order.
Report know all September 18, 2020 1:43 PM BST
i thought he was one of the biggest critics of gambling and curbing fobts and his name always seemed to be behind the push to regulate it more ? lets pay someone a big salary and calm his output, oh it stinks
Report Richie_Burnett September 18, 2020 1:49 PM BST
Curbing FOBT's is a bad thing in your tiny mind?
Report sparrow September 18, 2020 1:51 PM BST
Grin
Report dave1357 September 18, 2020 1:59 PM BST
just to clarify - his role is meant to be a safer gambling expert of some kind.  However, it is only his arrogance that makes him think he has £100k's worth of expertise in this matter.  There will be dozens of actual experts in this area that understand exactly the issues that lead to damaging addiction and whose advice will be ignored.
Report saddo September 18, 2020 2:09 PM BST
Richie_Burnett 18 Sep 20 13:02 
Sep 18, 2020 -- 12:30PM, Davy Jones wrote:

What a sell out

How is it selling out? It's merely an continuation of what he was doing in the commmons - but in/funded by the private sector. He is obviously infinitely more qualified for this role than Grayling is for the shipping one.

Normal Labourite double standards with a twist of whataboutery, great stuff.
Report doantwin2easy September 18, 2020 2:15 PM BST
Flutter may be cleaning out their house, but until there is industry wide agreement, policy and regulation, they are only shifting the problem elsewhere.

Betting companies are paying lip service to this debacle, in the hope that it appeases those with wider agendas. This appointment probably being a case in point.

Old Chinese proverb - Better to throw the pigeon a few crumbs than let him eat your loaf. The whole thing smacks of hypocrisy.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 2:18 PM BST
Just a reminder that this is where your commission is going. Sad
Report sparrow September 18, 2020 2:28 PM BST
I'd rather pay commission than go back to bookmaker type betting thank you.
Report impossible123 September 18, 2020 2:43 PM BST
Mr Watson taking up a position within Flutter only reinforces the general view that bookies or any entity will do their utmost to prevent/thwart any radical changes that could be in the pipeline on the present betting/gaming policies/licences; like to be seen to be doing something positive.

Many moons ago I used to be involved with carrying out outreach work and methodology studies for councils and a few private entities. But, each time a report was made and presented measures recommended esp councils would always ask for a waterdown version so as not to impact negatively on their funding sources. As such, nothing significantly positive ever achieved ie the infestation/rot remained.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 18, 2020 2:44 PM BST
I'd rather pay less commission and see Tom Watson in the dole queue, ta very much.
Report sparrow September 18, 2020 2:58 PM BST
Well that's a clever one, screaming.
Ingenious no less.
Report Richie_Burnett September 18, 2020 3:08 PM BST
saddo, please stop embarrassing yourself - it really is quite unnecessary.

I'm not a Labour voter and I deliberately did not mention Grayling first.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com