Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
elisjohn
20 Jun 20 18:44
| Topic/replies: 17,201 | Blogger: elisjohn's blog
?
Pause Switch to Standard View is there a chance crowds will be...
Show More
Report ribero1 June 24, 2020 3:29 PM BST
York hoping to have limited crowd at Ebor meeting.
Report Nightfly June 24, 2020 3:30 PM BST
Its my opinion. No way I would be getting involved with chancers Like Johnson and his sleazy gang making the decisions, i fear a 2nd spike wont stop them making very risky decisions
Aftre all to them we just a bunch of prols , so we all expendable. So for the avoidance of doubt i wont be backing or laying anything that involves decisions made by corrupt and contemptible MPs
Report workrider June 24, 2020 4:01 PM BST
Sorry to read this thread and all the negativity . I usually go several times a year to the U.K for racing, having already lost my April dates and there been so few dates left this year I was hoping the reopening would be sooner. This thread has put a damper on that.
Report ekbalko June 24, 2020 4:20 PM BST
email from GRIY.

Now that racing has resumed in Yorkshire, albeit behind closed doors, I thought it was an opportune moment to update you on what is happening and what we have been planning at Go Racing In Yorkshire to reward you for your loyalty and your patience.

First, I should inform you that the Racecourse Association has established a 'Return of Racing with Crowds Committee' to explore ways that spectators might safely be allowed back on to the racecourses. Yorkshire is strongly represented on this committee.

Their deliberations are in the early stages, so I cannot give you any specifics or, indeed, a timeline of when this may happen, but thought it would interest you to know what is going on behind the scenes.

At this point, I think we need to assume that when spectators are allowed back in, there will be a strict limit on the number of people who can attend a race meeting.

The final number will have to include essential racecourse personnel and we can assume that priority will be given to racehorse owners and to annual members of the individual racecourses. As a season ticket holder, you will also be high on the list for the Yorkshire racecourses.
Report artful dodger June 24, 2020 4:32 PM BST
Ekbalco, a light at the end of the tunnel......at last!
Report Nightfly June 24, 2020 4:34 PM BST
Yes, this is just bits and pieces. What prospect of say a 50% attendance, say  Goodwood  Stewards Cup  or Hennessy Saturday in November, that we are interested in?
Report blackbarn June 24, 2020 5:29 PM BST
Zodiac says "FFS >>>> what planet are you on Confused. I had an email from Goodwood on June 2nd, All monies returned Wink. Its going to be behind closed doors >>> FACT Cry

You may well be right but NOT FACT!!!!   This decision has not yet been taken. Re monies returned, I assume you asked for a refund, or your are a member of the public who ordered tickets for the Gordon or Lennox enclosures. Goodwood has not yet automatically refunded annual members fees nor any members Richmond guest tickets for the Festival or for any other meetings.
Report iamajambo June 25, 2020 6:46 AM BST
The JCR site has 'Behind closed doors' attached to all of their fixtures up to 31st August. No such message from September onwards, though I assume that that does not guarantee that we'll be able to attend one of their fixtures then.
Report blackbarn June 25, 2020 11:32 AM BST
Racing Post today - "Glorious Goodwood: we will be pushing hard to allow owners, sponsors and members"
Report layingisthewayforward June 26, 2020 9:35 AM BST
People are gathering all over the country every day for all sorts of reasons, of course we should be able to go racing. Ive booked arc tickets for October but hope to be on course long before then.
Report morpteh mackem June 26, 2020 11:12 AM BST
should just race on beaches like laytown, no problem getting crowds in.
Report Llamedos June 26, 2020 11:49 AM BST
I don't think its having a crowd so much, for example you could probably have a crowd of 10,000 at Ascot and they still be well distanced from each other, it is providing safe facilities for them, for example toilets, where and how to all these people use them safely, betting in a safe way, touching any fixtures or fittings etc. That's were the problems start to arise.
Report artful dodger June 26, 2020 12:05 PM BST
Yes but let's face it, to get racing back on with crowds and bookmakers, everyone concerned would do absolutely anything and everything necessary to get the show back on the road.....just as every other industry and business has. It just needs more positivity and optimism......
Report impossible123 June 26, 2020 4:20 PM BST
Anyone but, no professional pundits please  because they are not needed as they will all be virtue signalling and not conducive for informed punters.
Report Zodiac June 26, 2020 4:55 PM BST
Zodiac  • June 24, 2020 2:11 PM BST 

FFS >>>> what planet are you on ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

I had an email from Goodwood on June 2nd ,, All monies returned Wink

Its going to be behind closed doors >>> FACT CryCryCryCry
Report Zodiac June 26, 2020 4:55 PM BST
Zodiac  • June 24, 2020 2:11 PM BST 

FFS >>>> what planet are you on ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

I had an email from Goodwood on June 2nd ,, All monies returned Wink

Its going to be behind closed doors >>> FACT CryCryCryCry
Report blackbarn June 26, 2020 5:07 PM BST
Zodiac - "You may well be right but NOT FACT!!!!   This decision has not yet been taken. Re monies returned, I assume you asked for a refund, or your are a member of the public who ordered tickets for the Gordon or Lennox enclosures. Goodwood has not yet automatically refunded annual members fees nor any members Richmond guest tickets for the Festival or for any other meetings.

Racing Post today - "Glorious Goodwood: we will be pushing hard to allow owners, sponsors and members"

What did you get a refund for?  Which days and which enclosure?
Report Zodiac June 26, 2020 5:14 PM BST
Corporate ,,, table of 10 >> Wednesday and Thursday Wink
Report glentoby June 26, 2020 5:17 PM BST
Nobody from Jaywick has ever attended Goodwood Zodie,the nearest would have been Old Nick Warrel in his yellow Rolls Royce and he lived in Colchester!!!Wink
Report Zodiac June 26, 2020 5:18 PM BST
Didn't ask for refund ,,,

but as Ascot ,,

been offered same deal at same price (plus drinks upgrade) for 2021..

I've opted for that ,,, as far as i'm concerned iv'e done my money this year  Cry

But next year i'm on two freebies LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report glentoby June 26, 2020 5:21 PM BST
Drinks upgrade from Kia Ora to Pimms no2 Zodie?
Report ribero1 June 26, 2020 5:24 PM BST
There's a piece online in the RP re York hoping to have spectators at Ebor.
Report elisjohn June 26, 2020 5:31 PM BST
York has not given up hope of welcoming spectators back for the track's flagship Welcome to Yorkshire Ebor festival in August, although the course's chief executive William Derby is acutely aware it will take a significant change in government legislation to welcome a paying attendance to the Knavesmire.

Just a day after Goodwood supremo Adam Waterworth expressed his ambition to welcome back owners, sponsors and even some annual members to its flagship Glorious meeting at the end of next month, Derby revealed that York has yet to rule out the possibility of a wider pool of spectators attending the four-day Ebor meeting starting August 19 in some capacity.

While Goodwood has long since ruled out any general public entry, York has decided not to refund pre-booked tickets for the Ebor meeting at this stage and will monitor the ever-changing Covid-19 landscape in the build-up to August's feature.
Report glentoby June 26, 2020 5:38 PM BST
Do you think tracks will be given the green light in view of how moronic,idiotic,stupid and selfish the English public have been and will continue to be when given some slack? 1.01 as predicted previously hundreds if not thousands more DEAD simply because of LOW IQ morons.Just coincidence that Brixton was mostly black and Southend etc white..........or the truth THICK AS PIGSHyteT MORONS as the common denominator?
Report blackbarn June 26, 2020 5:42 PM BST
Zodie - Re Goodwood, which enclosure and what same deal?
Report Zodiac June 26, 2020 5:53 PM BST
FFS Blackie >>> are you a policeman ConfusedConfusedConfused

also transferred the Arundel Hilton, Avisford Park for the same dates, if you want to check Wink
Report glentoby June 26, 2020 5:56 PM BST
Arundel Hilton? LaughLaugh Pure Class of 74.........what a dump that is.Actually starting to believe Zodie but there is the Achilles ..............the BUDGET accommodation?LaughWink
Report 23nights June 26, 2020 6:13 PM BST

Jun 26, 2020 -- 5:42PM, blackbarn wrote:

Zodie - Re Goodwood, which enclosure and what same deal?

gl getting a straight answer from zodie lol..smoke and mirrors..probably finding out now from the bloke he knows who genuinely had a table booked.

Report blackbarn June 26, 2020 6:20 PM BST
No offence Zodie - Simple questions. Which Goodwood enclosure were you booked in and what is the deal they have given you for next year?
Report Zodiac June 26, 2020 6:35 PM BST
A facility in the Richmond Enclosure ..

Same deal and price frozen till next year ,,,

With Champagne reception on arrival ,,

It's all food and wines inclusive  >>> Bolly now included Wink
Report glentoby June 26, 2020 6:38 PM BST
And yet the accommodation remains unchanged Zodie? Are you not allergic to flea bites and bed bugs?Wink
Report blackbarn June 26, 2020 8:20 PM BST
Thank Zodie - so which of the four Richmond facilities were you booked in?
Report blackbarn June 26, 2020 10:01 PM BST
He's strugglingLaugh   Mind you he has done well to get this far.
Report 23nights June 27, 2020 9:40 AM BST

Jun 26, 2020 -- 10:01PM, blackbarn wrote:

He's struggling   Mind you he has done well to get this far.

lol..dont worry zodie is scrambling around trying to get info so he can post BS on here.he said the same thing and got caught at newmarket and epsom.Laugh

Report 23nights July 2, 2020 7:20 PM BST

Jun 26, 2020 -- 10:01PM, blackbarn wrote:

He's struggling   Mind you he has done well to get this far.

pmsl...

Report GLASGOWCALLING July 3, 2020 5:38 AM BST
Report ronnie rails July 12, 2020 8:17 PM BST
any updates about crowds returning tia
regards
Ronnie.
Report saxon farm July 12, 2020 9:09 PM BST
Something said on either Sky Racing or RTV that hopeful ONE day only will be open to the public.
Report saxon farm July 12, 2020 9:12 PM BST
Remember now it was on Sky Racing just before Pinatubo won. They allowed racegoers at Deauville today apparently.
Report ronnie rails July 12, 2020 9:15 PM BST
Saxon
thank you have  a nice evening
regards
Ronnie
Report TheAnorak July 12, 2020 10:01 PM BST
Ronnie,

Based on the very restricted access allowed to owners (I'm an ROA member and get updates from them), we're a long way from getting public admission. Owners can attend at present, maximum of two per horse, but can't go into the paddock or the winners enclosure.

Cheltenham in November might be a more realistic ambition than York next month. Not that I agree with all this pandemic rubbish you understand. But having dug themsleves into a hole bigger than the Grand Canyon, our supposed betters clearly have no idea what to do next.
Report ribero1 July 12, 2020 10:29 PM BST
Spot on Anorak although aren't they suggesting a trial day at the Goodwood festival? Who realistically would want to pay good money for a decent day out with no doubt severe restrictions in place and jobsworths having a field day.
Report saxon farm July 12, 2020 10:34 PM BST
Thank you Ronnie, you too.
TheAnorak, I was only repeating tv words. and appreciate your update.
Report saxon farm July 12, 2020 10:36 PM BST
ribero1 Why would minimum wage jobsworths be having a field day?
Report TheAnorak July 12, 2020 10:50 PM BST
Hi Ribero,

I'm sure Goodwood will be perfectly happy racing behind closed doors. Even in normal times, they make no secret of their contempt for the paying public.

The talk of a trial day would only, as far as I understand, involve admitting a small number of their annual members.
Report ribero1 July 12, 2020 11:09 PM BST
Indeed Anorak,although not coc anymore i imagine Rod would handpick the guests for the jolly up,good luck tomorrow btw,i didn't reply but i saw your posts last year over trying to claim Tukhoom,my pal owned him before O'Meara claimed him,hopefully you've got yourself something similar or better?
SAxon Farm,it was slightly tongue in cheek but as i go racing 150 times a year i have come across a few in my time,a little power can be dangerous.
Report saxon farm July 12, 2020 11:16 PM BST
Thankyou for replying ribero1 All the best!
Report ekbalko July 12, 2020 11:18 PM BST
Probably waiting now to see what the effect of the easing of lockdown has. If there hasn`t been a big spike next couple of weeks limited crowds should be up and running middle of next month. The other side is do the racecourses want non paying crowds (members etc) with having to pay more for extra staff.
Report ribero1 July 12, 2020 11:25 PM BST
No Prob Saxon same to you.
Report ronnie rails July 13, 2020 9:32 AM BST
The Anorak
thank you,
regarding Cheltenham the problem I have know for the October meeting is that the train tickets
are out the end of this month do I get them know for  the advanced  price  good money down the drain if its off or wait near the time and pay a fortune for the tickets.
have a good day,
regards
Ronnie.
Report TheAnorak July 13, 2020 12:24 PM BST
Below is the latest note from the ROA for owners. It doesn't mention that you are asked to arrive not more than 45 minutes before your horse runs, and leave not more than one hour after the race - no staying for the whole meeting.

Your Step-by-step guide to going racing
when you have a runner

Step 1:

Upon entry of your horse a confirmation email will be sent by the racecourse outlining the PASS weblink to register the two    nominated names who will be attending the racecourse.
    Please check your spam / junk mail filter in case the email has gone into these areas.

Step 2:

Once your horse has been declared a further confirmation of declaration email will be sent by the course along with the PASS link https://www.rcapass.com/, providing another opportunity to register the two nominated names who will be attending the racecourse.
    This email will be after 2pm on the day of declaration.       
    For any PASS queries please contact the PASS helpdesk on 01933 270333 or by email pass@weatherbys.co.uk
    Details on using the PASS system can also be found on our PASScard page: https://www.roa.co.uk/raceday/pass.html

Step 3:

Owners will have until 4pm on the day before the race meeting to nominate the two attendees names
    Please note badges will not be sent in advance and owners will receive wristbands/badges upon arrival at the racecourse.

Step 4

Before arrival, owners are asked to:

A) Complete a short online COVID-19 learning module:

https://www.roa.co.uk/raceday/covid19/return/elearning.html

Please watch the videos, fill in the online form, and confirm that you have understood the information provided
    If you have any problems with the learning, please contact:
    You will receive a confirmation email when you have completed the learning, but you are not required to present this on arrival at the racecourse
    This only needs to be completed once – before your first visit to the racecourse

B ) Assess your own health using the personal health assessment questions:

https://www.roa.co.uk/raceday/covid19/return/health-questionnaire.html

Please do this before each visit to the racecourse, to help minimise the risk for you and other owners

C) Familiarise yourself with the guidance for owners attending a behind closed door race meeting here.

This is updated regularly and provides important information to help support you in preparing for and attending the racecourse, so please read this short document before each racecourse visit

Step 5:

Upon arrival at the racecourse owners will be asked a series of health questions and will be required to complete a temperature check.
    You will also need to show photo ID to gain admittance. This could be driving license, passport etc.

Step 6:

Once admitted owners will have a designated entrance to the racecourse, along with designated areas on course.
Report ribero1 July 13, 2020 12:43 PM BST
Seen them myself Anorak,No thanks!
Report truehoncho July 13, 2020 12:49 PM BST
I was in Weatherpersons in the week for my breakfast. I didn't need to do nay of that and probably at more risk from the dodgy sausages. Total buffoonery.
Report ribero1 July 13, 2020 12:53 PM BST
Agree been in 3 pubs we normally frequent and pleasantly surprised how relaxed they have been,not a mask in sight.
Report truehoncho July 13, 2020 1:03 PM BST
Can you credit it ribero? A pub treats you like you have some common sense and the racetrack treats owners without who'm there would be no racing, as though they are carrying the plague and are as thick as ****. To be honest its just plain insulting.
Report ribero1 July 13, 2020 1:16 PM BST
Unfortunately honcho as we know its bowing to public perception how we end up with this,just been listening to the mp on Luck on sunday banging on about it and saying we haven't been forgiven for Cheltenham yet!
Report truehoncho July 13, 2020 1:26 PM BST
I saw him. Waved his arms around a lot while not saying much. Kept insisting he was just the representative to parliament for racing. Surely we can do better?
Report blackbarn July 13, 2020 7:16 PM BST
Goodwood members Email received today....

Dear members,

As you are aware, we contacted you last month to let you know that, following government and BHA guidance, we would run Glorious week ‘behind closed doors'. However, I appreciate that you are still waiting to hear what the possibility might be for members to attend.

As you may have seen in the press at the weekend, we have been working as hard as we can to influence the industry and government’s decisions around a limited capacity attendance. There is nothing we would like more than to be welcoming you to the Festival. However, we appreciate that this limbo period is frustrating as many of you need to make travel and accommodation plans. I hope you agree with us though that, whilst there is the slimmest chance of getting you to Glorious, we continue to hold out for this.

We are currently waiting on feedback from the government around our plans to open Glorious to members on Saturday, 1 August and we are very much hoping this will be approved. Whilst I cannot give you a clearer picture right now, I wanted to make sure you knew we are doing everything within our power to get you to Glorious, should you wish to attend. We will be writing to you again this week with further details as soon as we have heard more.

In the meanwhile, please do continue to stay safe and well.

Best wishes,
Report elisjohn July 17, 2020 11:51 AM BST
some announcement due this morning re sporting events
Report truehoncho July 17, 2020 12:22 PM BST
Goodwood August 1st.
Report Tiger Tiger July 17, 2020 12:26 PM BST
Crowds will be allowed back into sporting events from October, says Boris, this morning.
Report wondersobright July 17, 2020 12:30 PM BST

Jun 24, 2020 -- 3:17PM, wondersobright wrote:

£400,000 @ 9/4ta

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/goodwood-to-welcome-5000-strong-crowd-as-part-of-pilot-event-tests/442591

get the £900,000 ready, nightfly Laugh

Report Wesdag July 17, 2020 3:16 PM BST
Racing Post
@RacingPost
Goodwood has been given permission to allow 5,000 racegoers on the final day of its Glorious meeting on August 1

The government announced the fixture was among a select list of pilot events
Report Wesdag July 17, 2020 3:17 PM BST
Prepare for BoringBillBovington & his anti-Cheltenham posts

Laugh
Report SeeMoreBusiness July 17, 2020 3:33 PM BST
I'm an annual member and just been sent the email. Quite severe restrictions. 7 areas, self isolated. Choose one, stay there all day. Some will not have a direct view of the course (big screen instead). Richmond Enclosure for O and T's, officials etc etc. Complete rubbish of course , since you have more chance of being struck by lightening than catching anything on the top of a hill in Sussex in the open air with the usual Goodwood Gale blowing. But one has to start somewhere. And I'm gagging for a bottle of cold fizz in the open air and a bet.
Report truehoncho July 17, 2020 3:37 PM BST
Have a great day SMB.
Report sageform July 17, 2020 3:44 PM BST
General return not until October 1.
Report SeeMoreBusiness July 17, 2020 3:51 PM BST
Thanks Truehoncho. One of the hardest days for punting with two Stewards Cups. Hopefully I'll find somewhere to offer 1/20th odds first 18 or something. Be just good to get out as I have largely been on my tod between March and June.
Report sageform July 17, 2020 3:51 PM BST
will you be able to see the paddock SMB?
Report SeeMoreBusiness July 17, 2020 3:55 PM BST
Depends where you choose I think sage. I suspect the paddock will be "out of bounds" for us, being restricted to professionals and owners. If you know Goodwood, I imagine the 7 zones will be scattered between the ample space behind the Gordon stand, in it, on top of it, and then on the lawns in front. Perhaps down as far as the 2f marker. We are told to expect a different "experience" but there we are. Just have to make the best of it. Halfway through the second bottle I imagine it will all be ok.
Report elisjohn July 17, 2020 4:00 PM BST
might be nicer with a bottle and a picnic   on trundle hillGrin
Report SeeMoreBusiness July 17, 2020 4:07 PM BST
actually elis that is a fair point. Is it public land? No, I think not. Otherwise you could have a throng there sending "the wrong message". I think it is owned by the course so they can seal it off. Just going to treat it as a good day out. Punting and viewing will be tough, but there are ample chances Tuesday- Friday.
Report skiptoomaloumacari July 17, 2020 4:13 PM BST
i assume following Goodwood quite a few tracks will be allowing their members to attend ?? seems a bit pointless if its a one off??
Report elisjohn July 17, 2020 4:13 PM BST
blackburn mentioned something few weeks back about this.I,ll try and find his thread
Report SeeMoreBusiness July 17, 2020 4:22 PM BST
one would hope so skip. I suspect they will try. I think some will be more able than others, given the restrictions to be imposed at Goodwood. I can't speak for courses up north but Newbury and Newmarket would be quite easy I think. Lots of deep lawn/tarmac in front of stand down to 2f marker. Quite a lot of room out the back. Epsom definitely not. Sandown....mmm. If they opened everywhere, but not many could have a view of the racing. From my recollection, Doncaster would be suitable. I think they might fear doing it at York for the Ebor. Too many people want to go and too close to town. Might cause a fuss if they restricted it to annual members. Hope you can get along to somewhere soon.
Report truehoncho July 17, 2020 4:22 PM BST
It's great that they are getting on with it. I can see Newmarket's 'gold' season being open now. Hope to see some good 2yo's there and even looking forward to the all weather season!!
Report isleham July 17, 2020 4:26 PM BST
need to re-jig the card and have the sussex and nassau with the stewards on the saturday
Report elisjohn July 17, 2020 4:31 PM BST
blackbarn • June 24, 2020 3:34 PM BST
Elisjohn - hardly anyone there for the May Meeting - one man and his dog!  The whole estate which includes the Trundle has been completely closed although some outdoor activities are now operating including golf, cycling, flying and track days. They did issue a members instruction for the May meeting not to attend the Trundle and will presumably do the same for Glorious.  It is of course private property, but the estate is crisscrossed by Public footpaths and bridleways.
Report blackbarn July 17, 2020 5:13 PM BST
Elisjohn - this is my original post on the subject. It was in response to the great pretender Zodiac. I then posted a couple of days later that the RP had indicated that Goodwood were looking to do members only day(s). 

blackbarn24 Jun 20 17:29

Zodiac says "FFS >>>> what planet are you on Confused. I had an email from Goodwood on June 2nd, All monies returned Wink. Its going to be behind closed doors >>> FACT Cry

You may well be right but NOT FACT!!!!   This decision has not yet been taken. Re monies returned, I assume you asked for a refund, or your are a member of the public who ordered tickets for the Gordon or Lennox enclosures. Goodwood has not yet automatically refunded annual members fees nor any members Richmond guest tickets for the Festival or for any other meetings.
Report elisjohn July 17, 2020 5:18 PM BST
yes i remember blackburn, i just posted your post for  seemorebusiness post 4.07  re public land.Wink
Report Nightfly July 17, 2020 6:34 PM BST

Jun 24, 2020 -- 3:30PM, Nightfly wrote:

Its my opinion. No way I would be getting involved with chancers Like Johnson and his sleazy gang making the decisions, i fear a 2nd spike wont stop them making very risky decisionsAftre all to them we just a bunch of prols , so we all expendable. So for the avoidance of doubt i wont be backing or laying anything that involves decisions made by corrupt and contemptible MPs

Nothing today has changed my mind, Infection rate still way too high, Death rate double from this day last week, and we supposed to be on top of it. I don't think so. Johnson should resign

Report SeeMoreBusiness July 17, 2020 6:52 PM BST
nightfly, on such matters, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And yours is not irrational. However, honestly, the chance of transmission at Goodwood on the top of a windy hill, in the open air, with everyone socially distancing, is as close to zero as makes no difference. I am 64 with a mild lung problem. I have absolutely no concerns about going. If it were to rain, I may review, but that would not be on the basis of fearing infection, but , rather, on the basis that Goodwood when it rains is truly awful and no fun whatsoever.
Report Latalomne July 17, 2020 7:35 PM BST

Jul 17, 2020 -- 6:34PM, Nightfly wrote:

Jun 24, 2020 --  3:30PM, Nightfly wrote:Its my opinion. No way I would be getting involved with chancers Like Johnson and his sleazy gang making the decisions, i fear a 2nd spike wont stop them making very risky decisionsAftre all to them we just a bunch of prols , so we all expendable. So for the avoidance of doubt i wont be backing or laying anything that involves decisions made by corrupt and contemptible MPsNothing today has changed my mind, Infection rate still way too high, Death rate double from this day last week, and we supposed to be on top of it. I don't think so. Johnson should resign

Get real.  The country cannot afford to sit on its hands.  It is as simple as that.

Report Nightfly July 17, 2020 7:59 PM BST
Sure SMB (and have a fond memory of the horse) No issues with that and  I too would happily pop along to Trundle Hill. However as racecourse employee I have seen and been to close to plenty of drunken brawls and am very wary a few well managed trials, claim a 'success' and before we know it, racecourses are feasting on there favourite guests for a Saturday drink and it all gets out of hand when the virus could be back in business as predicted by all the eminent scientists
From history including the go ahead with Cheltenham , I simply don't trust those who are making commercial decisions to 'do the right thing' and keep everybody safe 'whatever it takes'
Hope you enjoy trundle SMB, wish I could be there.
Report SeeMoreBusiness July 17, 2020 8:04 PM BST
yes, SMB saved me from poverty when it won the KG at 16/1. One of the few horses whose photo graces my wall at home. I hope I'm not on Trundle! Otherwise I'll stay at home. I suspect I may be approaching the 2f pole or some such thing. Anyway, all the best. Let's hope we both get the tricast in the Stewards!
Report truehoncho July 17, 2020 8:13 PM BST
All eminent scientist, what a joke. Ferguson predicted 40 million dead with bird flu and 1/2 million for Covid. What a plonker. Hundreds of thousands never got the treatment hey needed for months because of hysterical predictions that never came true. What a bunch of plonkers, most would get sacked for such way off predictions. Now its second wave nonsense, why not trash the economy even more? One thing is for sure those plonker scientists won't be paying for it, hard working families will have to pay. And to round it all off the plonkers are now saying they over estimated the deaths. Disgraceful. 26000 died in the 2018/19 flu epidemic in England(not the whole UK) and not too many more from covid and they now say they think it was less!!!! 60000 excess deaths they now tell us, but what from. locking tens of millions of people in their homes for months in isolation and not able to get the health and other services they needed may well have contributed to that. Well done Goodwood and all who sail in her. Have a ball SMB you and the rest of us deserve it.
Report wondersobright July 17, 2020 8:19 PM BST
great posts lats & truehoncho
Report jumper3 July 17, 2020 8:33 PM BST
How many of the 4,000 members will even want to turn up though with these restrictions? Guess Goodwood aren't expecting anything like this number?
Report SeeMoreBusiness July 17, 2020 8:42 PM BST
especially with the demographics of their membership jumper. I'm 64 as I said and I'm often the youngest one there!! I'll know how popular it is next week when we apply for guest badges. I'll let you know
Report Brian July 17, 2020 9:16 PM BST
With just 5000, it could be a great day. However Goodwood can be jobsworth territory at the best of times so hope they don't spoilt it for those lucky to go by too many rules.
Report Nightfly July 17, 2020 10:37 PM BST
Truehocho. mate lol, you need a lie down., No deal brexiteer by any chance?. Factually incorrect,  40 million deaths? Ferguson Predicted 2.2 m deaths in the US and 0.5 mill in the UK IF NOTHING WAS DONE,
Its stuff like that just underlines where, and why, this country is embarrassingly , where it is.. 40 million dead would have over HALF the country dead. That's a lot.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 17, 2020 11:32 PM BST
Read what truehoncho actually posted, Nightfly:

Ferguson predicted 40 million dead with bird flu and 1/2 million for Covid.

That's actually letting the little drip off lightly. Ferguson is way more of an idiot than that.

In 2005, Ferguson said that up to 200 million people could be killed from bird flu. He told the Guardian that ‘around 40 million people died in 1918 Spanish flu outbreak… There are six times more people on the planet now so you could scale it up to around 200 million people probably.’ In the end, only 282 people died worldwide from the disease between 2003 and 2009.
Report truehoncho July 18, 2020 6:25 PM BST
Nightfly, people like Ferguson (there are plenty more its not just him) don't make these predictions because they care about you or your family they just want to get in the news. He couldn't wait to get a sensationalised estimate of deaths into the public so he could be first to break the news. I think he halved his estimate within a week or so. Now is this professional to scare the hell out of people just to get attention? These type of attention seeking clowns don't care that they get it wrong because next time there will always be another journalist happy to print his rubbish. The problem is these days all the media is looking to break a story and clowns like him are more than happy to oblige. He won't be the one getting laid off or having his livelihood threatened, quite the opposite. And if he really thought there was such a threat why did he break lock down rules. He is back in the news now pushing for  action to prevent a second wave??? Surely a person like this shouldn't be allowed to stay in his position? Personally Nightfly, I think this country is where it is largely to people like him. The types of liars that will tell you the NHS will get £350m a week knowing full well that when the truth comes out it will be too late to do anything about it. We can't turn the clock back to March but we could start seeing common sense and get ourselves up and running asap.
Report windsor knot July 20, 2020 12:14 AM BST
york ...the racecourse goodwood thinks it is .
Report The Knight July 20, 2020 11:21 AM BST
truehoncho, you remind of me Donald Trump with your ranting.  No research, just shouty claims with not much to back them up.

Ferguson never, ever said 40 million dead or even half of that. We would not have enough space to bury 10 million inside a few weeks, let alone 40!

But the real problem with people like you is that the bits and pieces of sense you talk are lost beneath the wave of mouthy foolishness. Just like Trump.

I asked you a while back if you thought the US and Brazil were making up their figures but no answer. Without the measures we did take, we would ave gone the same way as those two countries - and may yet if we are not careful, or if too many people start listening to your nonsense.

Also, I seem to recall that it was you who called my idea of vaccinating people and then exposing them to the virus 'plain daft'. Now, such trials are very close to starting in three major countries, so it was not so 'plain daft' after all, was it?

Have a day off son, read up and research things before you start spouting off about them. You will sleep better, to start with. And, you will not look quite so silly.
Report ribero1 July 20, 2020 11:49 AM BST
HE's quoting Ferguson on 40 million on Bird flu not covid.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 20, 2020 12:44 PM BST
Yes. The only thing truehoncho got wrong was that Ferguson's claim was in fact that 200 million would probably die of bird flu.

In the end 282 people died.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 20, 2020 12:50 PM BST
Last month Neil Ferguson, a professor of mathematical biology at Imperial College London, told Guardian Unlimited that up to 200 million people could be killed.

"Around 40 million people died in 1918 Spanish flu outbreak," said Prof Ferguson. "There are six times more people on the planet now so you could scale it up to around 200 million people probably."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/sep/30/birdflu.jamessturcke
Report Fashion Fever July 20, 2020 3:00 PM BST
newmarket selling tickets for Cambridgeshire meeting end of September on there site ?
Report elisjohn August 26, 2020 9:33 PM BST
Plain
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com