Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Davy Jones
05 Feb 20 12:54
| Topic/replies: 1,907 | Blogger: Davy Jones's blog
Kempton saved after Jockey Club scales down housing plans for racecourse site
Kempton Park: home of the King George on Boxing Day
Kempton Park: home of the King George on Boxing Day
Edward Whitaker / racingpost.com/photos
1 of 1
By James Stevens
UPDATED 12:24PM, FEB 5 2020

Racing at Kempton will continue for the foreseeable future after the Jockey Club announced on Wednesday its housing development programme in the Sunbury area is to be scaled down.

In January 2017 the Jockey Club announced plans to demolish the racecourse and build 3,000 homes but after meeting resistance from the racing and local communities, as well as from the local council it has tabled a new proposal which would see both the jumps and all-weather tracks retained at the Sunbury-on-Thames venue.

This story is being updated and more news will follow shortly. You can also follow the Racing Post on Twitter (@RacingPost) to get the latest alerts
Pause Switch to Standard View Kempton Racecourse Saved ie JCR...
Show More
Report ashleigh February 5, 2020 1:01 PM GMT
no new sandown stand then, or a/w track at newmarket.
Report salmon spray February 5, 2020 1:08 PM GMT
Good.
Report GEORGE.B February 5, 2020 1:25 PM GMT
is this Hatchfield Farm mark 2? Crazy
Report foxy February 5, 2020 1:34 PM GMT
It was never going to happen once Heathrow got the go ahead for a new runway good news .
Report howard February 5, 2020 1:52 PM GMT
And whoever suggested this in the first place should be fired.
Report posy February 5, 2020 4:17 PM GMT
A sensible decision ;great news indeed
Report jmdc February 5, 2020 4:39 PM GMT
Wasn't it Simon Bazalgette who made the decision and then quietly stood down. There are some devious bastards in The Jockey Club.
Report onlooker February 5, 2020 5:00 PM GMT
Obviously the revised Housing Plan will be to only build houses on the old (now disused) Jubilee Course spur - that joined the main course st the end of the home bend.

That Jubilee Course made a three section practically straight 1m 2f alternative course to the regular Round Course - so there is a lot of acreage STILL left on which to build houses.

Kempton made a complete ****-up of installing an All-Weather Track - Resulting in having have an additional INNER Bend - meaning a much tighter track in order to accommodate (now ridiculously tight) 5 Furlong races, along with 1m 2f races, which would otherwise have had to start too near the the Main Outer track bend.

Instead of the tortuous INNER Bend Track - Kempton could have simply run a similar spur of tghe beginning of the Home Bend - alongside the inside of the Jumps course, and Service/Safety vehicles road - which would have given them a far fairer 5 Furlong course, along with a 1m 2f start.

But No ... It  had to be 'All American' style instead - Rather than retain some similar character of the old Jubilee Course - albeit of a different part of the bend.

One dimensional, modernistic,  thinking by Kempton, rather than retentive appreciation of the Course's long history  Sad

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.418021,-0.4003249,1149m/data=!3m1!1e3

The Jubilee course ran off to the right of the current Layout - from the Home bend - and mostly alongside the A 308 - right up to St Marys Hampton Primary School

If you Zoom up and enlarge that overview - then you can still make out the outline of the Jubilee Course
Report Oldgit1 February 5, 2020 7:25 PM GMT
"It was never going to happen once Heathrow got the go ahead for a new runway good news "
What is the connection between the runway and the track. I'm glad it has been saved and there and Sandown were my local tracks when I lived in New Malden.
How did the Jockey Club manage to accumulate over a £100 Million of debt ?
Report foxy February 5, 2020 7:29 PM GMT
The green mob oldgit they wouldn’t have stood for both .
Report posy February 5, 2020 7:44 PM GMT
Cheltenham rebuild would have cost many millions.
Report dustybin February 5, 2020 7:50 PM GMT
such a shame
I hate the AW track its got some f uckin voodoo curse on it I could never win at the place so stopped years ago
Could have benefited from all that AW going somewhere else
Report foxy February 5, 2020 8:26 PM GMT
Just watch the American stuff there’s loads of aw there
Report dustybin February 5, 2020 8:46 PM GMT
I dont watch it for entertainment, I want to bet on it IR
Cant bet IR on american

They could close kempton and shifty over to chelmsford where my record is impeccable-ta
Report foxy February 5, 2020 8:57 PM GMT
I don’t bet in running I don’t want to be the only one who loses at it.
Report sixtwosix February 5, 2020 9:05 PM GMT
valid points on the track ,but as they run the puerile all weather on the flat track  ,what does it matter?

Midweek evening rubbish ,racing's version of lottery tickets.
Report duncan idaho February 5, 2020 9:14 PM GMT
my fav AW track by miles!
Report mrcombustible February 5, 2020 9:22 PM GMT
Same here Duncan
Report Cantthinkofaclevername February 6, 2020 11:31 AM GMT
Why is all weather racing puerile? There is hardly a country in the world that doesn't stage racing on an all-weather surface so are they all wrong? It also gives some the smaller flat yards to earn some money over the winter period - is this so bad?
Puerile means immature - is that a fair or factually correct description of racing on an all-weather surface?
Report ashleigh February 6, 2020 12:37 PM GMT
with the jockey club £102 million in debt, they have got to be looking to sell off more land at other courses, cheltenham,aintree, sandown, hope not.Crazy
Report lovegod February 6, 2020 12:46 PM GMT
Not sure there's much to sell at Sandown?
Report jonnyrotten February 7, 2020 12:48 PM GMT
Dont understand all the animosity towards JC they have to think ahead, there is absolutely no chance we will be transporting horses 100's of miles to run in low grade races in 20/30 years time, only days anyone attends Kempton is at xmas, long term it will not survive, they would be fools not to take this into consideration
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com