Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
subaru
02 Apr 18 09:26
| Topic/replies: 424 | Blogger: subaru's blog
It's not that many years ago there would be 20+ meetings on this day with both codes up and running - what happened?
Used to be a cracking day for odds-on acca's, and loads of jockey's getting opportunities.
And if we had a few more on the list today, some migth have survived the weather!
Pause Switch to Standard View Where did all the Easter Monday...
Show More
Report CharlieCroker69 April 2, 2018 10:26 AM BST
global warming
Report spyker April 2, 2018 10:30 AM BST
It's not that long ago everything else was shut on this (and other) bank holidays..........
Report foxy April 2, 2018 10:35 AM BST
Racecourses get money to easy at the moment they don’t need to get crowds although it does help.
Report xmoneyx April 2, 2018 11:04 AM BST
only one meeting RUK Silly
Report howard April 2, 2018 11:31 AM BST
Should have 2 AW meetings in place for this early year  bank holiday
Report sageform April 2, 2018 12:02 PM BST
It was a policy decision to spread the fixtures more evenly. Back when there were 20 meetings on Easter Monday, there were other days with just one or 2 meetings. Also very hard to provide proper supervision from the BHA for 20 meetings. Bookmakers also prefer a more even spread of meetings as another 10 cards would add very little to turnover and they have the final say these days. The chance of losing all of the GB turf meetings in April is very low but today it has happened and little chance of any this week I should think.
Report howard April 2, 2018 12:14 PM BST
The chance of losing GB turf meetings in April was low for decades. But has the weather changed ?
Report xmoneyx April 2, 2018 12:41 PM BST
zilch RUK Whoops
Report sageform April 2, 2018 12:43 PM BST
howard, yes it has. When it rains it rains harder. Most courses are better drained than in the past but they can't cope with 4 or 5 inches in a week.
Report jackdaw April 2, 2018 1:31 PM BST
I don't think it ever got up to 20 meetings but perhaps up to 13 or 14. I happen to have a 1936 flat racing calendar and there were 3 flat meetings on Easter Monday (13th April) at Kempton, Birmingham and Newcastle. There were also meetings at Alexandra Park, Bogside, Stockton, and Derby that month. Other closed courses that staged flat racing that year were Lincoln, Hurst Park, Gatwick, Manchester, Lewes, Folkstone, and Lanark.
An interesting oddity is that The Bibury Club seem to have staged a 3-day private meeting, presumably only open to members, at Salisbury in July.
Report adge April 2, 2018 1:34 PM BST
yes easter used to have 12 to 14 meetings but whit monday had a high of 22 fixtures , nearly all N.H.
Report jmdc April 2, 2018 1:41 PM BST
^ I used to love Rothbury, and Essandem winning at the Great Norfolk Hunt meeting, and Clareman winning at Huntingdon.  All the results were over the teleprinter in those days, with Extel reading them out after racing.
Report sparrow April 2, 2018 1:45 PM BST
Only a couple of meetings a year wasn't it at Rothbury, jmdc?
Report sparrow April 2, 2018 1:48 PM BST
Rothbury races.              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfKgUXmsCgo
Report jmdc April 2, 2018 1:48 PM BST
Just the one at Whitsun I believe sparrow.  Stan Hayhurst was top jockey when it closed.
Report sparrow April 2, 2018 1:57 PM BST
Apparently according to wikipedia the levy board was responsible for closing it.
Report jmdc April 2, 2018 2:00 PM BST
I believe it suffered the same fate as Wye sparrow - not up to scratch.
Report sparrow April 2, 2018 2:03 PM BST
wikipedia........................The last racing took place at Wye on 2 May 1974 and the course closed permanently in June 1975. The Jockey Club had insisted upon changes to the course in August 1974, including changing the camber of the bottom turn and improving the grandstand. However, the owners were unable to fund these changes, leading to closure. Wye was a very small, oval track, less than 1 mile
Report xmoneyx April 2, 2018 2:11 PM BST
ATR LOST PICS CryExcited
Report mokegibboni April 8, 2018 5:23 AM BST
I'm looking at my 1995 diary and count 16 race meetings for the bank holiday Easter Monday (17th of April, 1995) - 12 jumps meetings and 4 turf flat meetings.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com