Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
squire danaher
02 Mar 16 22:01
| Topic/replies: 175 | Blogger: squire danaher's blog
Apologies for double post but I posted this topic on General Betting and was advised to put it up on here for wider attention.

Retired janitor at my office sought my assistance about this on Monday

His normal bet is six football teams, 6 x£1 5-folds and £1 6-fold.  He bets this every midweek and Saturday.

He writes teams on betting slip and doesnt use coupons.

He did his normal bet on Saturday, sixth selection he wrote 'Milan'

All six won.  Batfred split his stake on basis that his sixth selection is ambiguous in that he didnt make it clear whether he meant AC Milan or Inter.

I have never heard anyone refer to Inter as Milan.

Old guy thought he was on £530, Batfred gave him £265. 

AVOID BATFRED LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Pause Switch to Standard View More proof Batfred are to be avoided
Show More
Report 11kv March 2, 2016 10:10 PM GMT
Use the coupon don't give them the get out , dirty robbing bald Mancunian ****
Report onlooker March 2, 2016 10:14 PM GMT
Sorry - But they BOTH play IN MILAN- a city after which they are BOTH NAMED.
Report squire danaher March 2, 2016 10:17 PM GMT
Onlooker - I realise this is the racing forum.

However - How many punters refer to Inter as Milan. 

Take a straw poll of 100 punters and there will be very few who would interpret Milan on a betting slip as Inter.
Report saddo March 2, 2016 10:18 PM GMT
Did he take a price and have it OKd?
Report roida March 2, 2016 10:19 PM GMT
in this instance a fair outcome...why didnt he write ac?
Report squire danaher March 2, 2016 10:22 PM GMT
The UK is the only country in the world where Internazionale are referred to as Inter Milan
Report squire danaher March 2, 2016 10:23 PM GMT
saddo

He didnt write prices.

I am fed up telling him to use coupons and take prices. 

roida - see 22:22
Report flukes March 2, 2016 10:26 PM GMT
I agree with the OP that AC Milan are referred to as "Milan' in footballing parlance. This is even confirmed by the Wikipedia entry for AC Milan. Suggest you message Paul Haigh - Total Respect on here as he relishes taking on Betfred with issues where they are trying it on.
Report onlooker March 2, 2016 10:26 PM GMT
What does he write when he is backing either - MANchester Utd - or MANchester City?
Report the dealer March 2, 2016 10:31 PM GMT
how did it appear on the coupon?, pretty sure they use ac milan and internazionale, which would suggest to me even although he shouldnt have just used milan, it seems a bit rich to use that as an excuse when they dont call the team inter milan themselves
Report squire danaher March 2, 2016 10:35 PM GMT
Onlooker 22:26

Naw - When he backs Rangers he writes Glasgow.

By Christ, you're so sharp you must cut yourself.
Report 11kv March 2, 2016 10:38 PM GMT
Albion
Report roida March 2, 2016 10:40 PM GMT
squire danaher    02 Mar 16 22:22 
The UK is the only country in the world where Internazionale are referred to as Inter Milan

which country did he place the bet?
Report Shalimah March 2, 2016 10:46 PM GMT
BBC results and tables refer to them as Milan and Inter Milan
Report roida March 2, 2016 10:50 PM GMT
I can make you feel good.
Report xmoneyx March 2, 2016 10:55 PM GMT
dundee
dundee utd
Report doantwin2easy March 2, 2016 10:55 PM GMT
I remember having a bet on which day of the week the election would be held.

After careful consideration, I went midweek as it seemed like the sensible option.

To my utter disgust, I found that my apparent winning bet, had been interpreted as a win single on Sheffield, who happened to playing the night I placed it.
Report the dealer March 2, 2016 11:11 PM GMT
06 March 2016
11:30    Torino v Lazio Cashout         13/10     11/5     12/5    more bets
14:00    Bologna v Carpi Cashout         10/11     23/10     18/5    more bets
14:00    Atalanta v Juventus Cashout         13/2     3/1     8/15    more bets
14:00    Sassuolo v AC Milan Cashout         11/5     9/4     7/5    more bets
14:00    Frosinone v Udinese Cashout         5/2     23/10     6/5    more bets
14:00    Genoa v Empoli Cashout         EVS     23/10     16/5    more bets
19:45    Internazionale v Palermo Cashout         3/10     9/2     10/1    more bets

how they appear on their website for the weekends games
Report roida March 3, 2016 2:15 AM GMT
thats the difference..if they only have 1 team named milan
Report s.kenbo March 3, 2016 6:16 AM GMT
Hopefully he'll learn by this. You've got to be very clear when you write a bet out, make sure you have the prices written on, and even name the opposition if he insists on writing the bet on a slip.

There is more than enough confusion here for them to settle it the way they did. It's a pity Inter Milan lost because no doubt AC were the shorter price of the two teams.
Report khyber kim March 3, 2016 6:54 AM GMT
Seems a fair decision. I've always known them as Inter and AC. At least they didn't try to void the whole bet.
Report Magic__Daps March 3, 2016 8:05 AM GMT
Surely the point here is dealers - if Fred doesn't even name them as Milan at all how can there be any confusion. Fred names them as AC MILAN and INTERNAZIONALE

I would give Paul Haigh - Total Respect a callout on here.
Report lcredd March 3, 2016 8:29 AM GMT
Yep, robbing scumbags. But it could easily have been avoided by writing A C.
Report Magic__Daps March 3, 2016 8:33 AM GMT
I certainly am not saying the punter is 100% in the right, as it could easily have been avoided. But it would help if some of these books actually used a bit of common sense now and again, do they honestly think the guy is trying it on - 1.01 they don't. We all know they are there thinking how they can save a payout. Customer service goes a long way and Fred gets all the bad press he deserves imo, it really is uncanny how most of these type of thread are about his firm.
Report Faux-Heen March 3, 2016 9:11 AM GMT
Customer service goes a long way and Fred gets all the bad press he deserves imo, it really is uncanny how most of these type of thread are about his firm.

There is no such thing as bad publicity........... maybe
Report TheFear March 3, 2016 9:11 AM GMT
agree with magic daps. Surely if it's a regular customer or someone you don't think is trying it on you pay up Sad
Report JML March 3, 2016 11:49 AM GMT
The amount he recieved should have been more than 50% of what he expected.
Report BARROWBOY March 3, 2016 12:18 PM GMT
anyone who knows anything about football knows that in italy ac milan are known as milan (would probably preclude betfred staff on that basis),couldnt his selection be confirmed by the prices of the 2 teams,i presume that was written on the slip.
Report unbiased March 3, 2016 12:21 PM GMT
I don't believe you have a claim,and the shop acted correctly.Look at it this way,if the other "Milan" team won,and your "Milan" team lost,the payout would be similar.It is always up to the customer to write clearly and accurately,thereby avoiding this type of situation.Had I written the bet as the poster had done,I would have accepted their ruling,and kicked myself for being lazy and not writing AC Milan or Inter Milan.
  A good cashier would have had a quick scan of the slip,and asked which "Milan" was wanted,but can't be expected.
We all learn over the years from our mistakes,we are all human.
Report halcyon days March 3, 2016 12:26 PM GMT
Forty years ago when I first started in the game........

' the onus is on the punter, re: clear & precise instructions!'

No bookmaker likes the ''punter'' having two chances to win whilst paying for one !

Mistake made>>>>>>>>>> move on !
Report Magic__Daps March 3, 2016 12:32 PM GMT
I don't think anybody is disagreeing with the ruling so to speak, but where is the common sense for a regular customer that they would know full well if he was trying it on or not. With a bit of luck he will go elsewhere from now on and tell everyone else to do the same.

I haven't bet in a Lads shop since a dispute probably 10 years ago, and with my encouragement to a few other people neither have they. From what could and should have been a simple solution they decided to drag their heels and void a bet. I have probably cost them 100 times what the payout was in that shop alone.
Report stattman March 3, 2016 12:53 PM GMT
A few years ago while i worked for Joe,s a guy wrote a treble on a normal slip for Man utd Man City and Forest . Neadless to say first two won Forest lost and the punter came in and claimed he meant Forest Green who had won . After a lot of discussion he was offered half stake on both which he happily accepted and was told to be exact with his bet,s in the future .Still i was convinced he tried his luck and got away with it .
Report halcyon days March 3, 2016 1:03 PM GMT
Ah gambler's.... do they by their nature want something for nothing ?...

Just a thought !
Report Whippin Piccadilly March 3, 2016 3:48 PM GMT
More vile tactics from this firm, I see. Ask any proper football fan this question. "If I said to you Milan are playing tonight, which Milan do you think I mean?" They will say AC Milan every time, and I mean EVERY time. When I talk about Inter Milan I always call them Inter. A) Because they are the only top flight team with Inter in their name and B) when you talk of the Milan Derby you would say Milan v Inter.
Even on their website they don't even use the word Milan when posting odds on an Inter Milan game.
Also surely if he's  regular customer the staff there could vouch for him and use their discretion? After all its very likely he will give all the winnings back plus more over time. I hope the OP and the guy he's talking about never gives Baldprick any more of their custom.
Report fool proof March 3, 2016 4:15 PM GMT
4.25 Staunton,Tornado in Milan
Report fool proof March 3, 2016 4:16 PM GMT
Predictive text boo
Report Mick Sturbs March 3, 2016 4:42 PM GMT
In this case i agree with betfred  his instructions were ambiguous
Report pixie March 3, 2016 4:51 PM GMT
Absolutely, Baldy's done nothing wrong here.
Report impossible123 March 3, 2016 5:08 PM GMT
If he was a regular customer the ambiguity would have been noticed and corrected by the staff at the shop otherwise put that down to experience or include prices too to avoid similar confusion again - the bookie was acting accordingly this time I'd have thought.
Report Johnnystag March 3, 2016 5:28 PM GMT
He should really have stipulated "AC Milan" but if the coupon describes Inter Milan as Internationaze i.e. no "Milan" at all in team name, he should have a good case.

Paul Haigh would probably take it on.
Report Johnnystag March 3, 2016 5:30 PM GMT
Put it this way ... if Inter had won, there's not a chance they would have paid him anything.  They would argue "Coupon says Internationalize not Inter Milan".
Report jasey March 3, 2016 5:42 PM GMT
This is  ignorance from a firm that makes a living from sport.
He put A C Milan on that slip for me but he is lucky he got a return.
I hope none of you write Spurs on your slips  from now on.

Squire Danaher no such team called Glasgow Rangers or Glasgow Celtic.
Report unbiased March 3, 2016 5:43 PM GMT
Cashier---"can I put this on a coupon for you,it is much easier to do,just put a small line against selections"
Customer--"I have always done my bets like this,don't know how to do it on a coupon"
Cashier----"No problem,I will do it for you and you can see how easy it is.Hello,you put Milan in,which Milan did you mean,Inter or AC?"
Customer---"AC"
Had he used a coupon as most of us do,and could have asked for help if unsure,then problem solved.Can't blame anyone but himself.
Not one for Paul,no point.
Report s.kenbo March 3, 2016 5:51 PM GMT
Jasey, writing Spurs on betting slip is 100% obvious. Writing "Milan" isn't.

It was the old boys error, and one he'll from.

And since when did we use the word "janitor"?
Report s.kenbo March 3, 2016 5:51 PM GMT
learn from *
Report Johnnystag March 3, 2016 5:56 PM GMT
The only thing that counts here is what teams were playing at the weekend according to Fred, as published on his coupon.

There was a team called AC Milan playing and a team called Internationalze playing.  Only one team was playing that was called Milan.
Report s.kenbo March 3, 2016 6:03 PM GMT
His website says Inter Milan Vs Palermo for the weekend.
Report Johnnystag March 3, 2016 6:04 PM GMT
Don't know where you got that from?  Clearly says Internazionale v Palermo on betting coupon.
Report dixie March 3, 2016 6:05 PM GMT
I don't have last weekend's coupon.

I have current midweek & weekend coupons.

Both have written; AC Milan, Inter Milan.
Report s.kenbo March 3, 2016 6:09 PM GMT
I got it from his website, Johnny.
Report Johnnystag March 3, 2016 6:09 PM GMT
I was going on the website.  Didn't realise they name teams differently on shop coupons.
Report s.kenbo March 3, 2016 6:13 PM GMT
I think I went on the Goals Galore coupon.
Report Johnnystag March 3, 2016 6:18 PM GMT
Yeah, Inter Milan on Goals Galore coupon, Internazionale on 1x2 coupon.  Depends what it says on shop coupon, haven't set foot in baldie shop for ages.
Report carrot1960 March 3, 2016 6:21 PM GMT
The bet was settled correctly given there are two teams in "Milan"
Report jed.davison March 3, 2016 6:41 PM GMT
Settled correctly? Only one of these teams is called Milan - AC Milan. Internazionale di Milano are called Internazionale di Milano. Even in Italian, Milan are called Milan, not Milano. The bald one is trying it on again.
Report Whippin Piccadilly March 3, 2016 6:48 PM GMT
I can't believe people are taking the side of the baldprick on this? One team is called Milan & the otheris called Internazionale as Jed has rightly pointed out. I'm sure if the punter had meant Inter Milan, he wouldn't have just wrote Milan.
Report JML March 3, 2016 6:58 PM GMT
People are taking Bfred's side because that is what they believe to be correct
and I agree with them.

But even then the amount paid should be more than 50% of what was expected.
This is because there was one winning 5 fold that didn't include Milan.
Report saddo March 3, 2016 7:08 PM GMT
Fuss about nowt, write bets properly and avoid problems, simple innit. He won't make the same mistake again.
Report halcyon days March 3, 2016 9:45 PM GMT
As I've stated above, bookmakers don't like punters having two chances and paying for one bet !

Much as I despise Bald Fred, in this instance the settlement is correct !
Report halcyon days March 3, 2016 9:46 PM GMT
How 'ard is it to write A C guv; ?
Report roida March 3, 2016 10:15 PM GMT
dixie    03 Mar 16 18:05 
I don't have last weekend's coupon.

I have current midweek & weekend coupons.

Both have written; AC Milan, Inter Milan.

case closed your honour.
Report rileyuma March 4, 2016 2:24 PM GMT
the bet should hve been settled as follows
5x50p losing 5 folds
1x50p losing 6 fold

1x1pound winning 5 fold
5x50p winning 5 folds
1x50p winning 6 fold

if he was expecting 530 he should have received more than the 50% of 265

put the prices up
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit