Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sixtwosix
28 Dec 14 15:03
| Topic/replies: 21,748 | Blogger: sixtwosix's blog
Desperately poor quality level in the last couple of years .

The field were going sideways at the last , just like the Gold Cup.
Pause Switch to Standard View Gold Cup Winners the last two home
Show More
Report Ibrahima Sonko December 28, 2014 3:04 PM GMT
3 mile chasers is a an extremely weak division, a novice could win the GC
Report koikeeper December 28, 2014 3:05 PM GMT
Looked like Bobs worth was just out for the run the way it was ridden..
Report cricketnut2 December 28, 2014 3:08 PM GMT
If you didn't already know, the Gold Cup, takes alot out of a horse, unless they are real quality winners.
Report skygreenzone December 28, 2014 3:12 PM GMT
Easy when most the field aren't trying to win.To think it was a grade 1 race as well
Report EastLower Gooner December 28, 2014 3:17 PM GMT
Bobs Worth probably needs a lot further than 3miles now.
Report thehoffisback December 28, 2014 3:21 PM GMT
personally i thinks bobs worths best days could well be behind him
Report SoYouThink December 28, 2014 3:22 PM GMT
The thing I am starting to learn is when there aren't any truly top class horses in the division, the handicappers and the slowboats more often than not get involved and the form gets turned upside down all the time.

Now take nothing away from Road to Riches who is more than a handicapper now but he started the season with that kind of profile (didn't stand out as a novice, running in a Galway Plate in July).

Sam Winner is probably somewhere round G3 level and On His Own no offence intended is only a handicapper.

So all in all it's very hard to quanitfy these staying chases. Silviniaco Conti looks the best around, Road to Riches is a massive improver, Bobs Worth is looking like he mioght have regressed, Lord Windermere - one hit wonder maybe?
Report Stilian Idis December 28, 2014 3:24 PM GMT
Is Lord Windermere the kind who comes alive at Chelters perhaps? Especially given he won the RSA too.
Report Howdi December 28, 2014 3:27 PM GMT
maybe stilian you dont win a Gold Cup by been a 'one hit winner'.
Report skygreenzone December 28, 2014 3:28 PM GMT
Hope he comes 2nd last at cheltenham too he was blatant non trier today last all the way round made no effort to win.
Report Stilian Idis December 28, 2014 3:29 PM GMT
Shows too how good a horse Best Mate was.
Report 1st time poster December 28, 2014 3:29 PM GMT
ran the same race in gold cup never going
Report foxy December 28, 2014 3:41 PM GMT
indeed stilian many never quite understood that fact for some reason.
Report mansfieldman December 28, 2014 3:48 PM GMT
on his own jumped right handed all the way today, i think it cost him the win, he should run a big race in gold cup again
Report mansfieldman December 28, 2014 3:50 PM GMT
bobs worth was very poor, never near and never interested, makes mistakes and the late runs seem a million miles away these days
Report SoYouThink December 28, 2014 4:00 PM GMT
Another good contribution from you Howdi .... smart fellow ..... 2 hours ago you gave up posting Laugh
Report millhouse December 28, 2014 4:36 PM GMT
Today's race is a completely different test to the Gold Cup...
Report 1st time poster December 28, 2014 4:40 PM GMT
considering his injury and the difference between his 1st 2 runs last year,the way he came home from the last today i wouldnt be given up just yet on bobs worth especialy given the yards form,bg was never given it a really hard time today which is what the horse needs
Report Glossy December 28, 2014 4:41 PM GMT
Many view Leopardstown as a good indicator of Chelt form. Left handed, fast draining and with a longish, uphill run in. Probably the most similar track to Chelt that Ireland has to offer.
Report millhouse December 28, 2014 4:41 PM GMT
Bobs Worth would need a far stiffer test of stamina than today's race to show his best form, imho...
Report Glossy December 28, 2014 4:42 PM GMT
^ to millhouse
Report millhouse December 28, 2014 4:47 PM GMT
Glossy, I was thinking more about the longer trip and the undulations - most Gold Cups turn into absolute wars of attrition, which obviously suits some horses more than others...
Report Glossy December 28, 2014 4:50 PM GMT
Fair enough. R2R wasn't stopping though!
Report millhouse December 28, 2014 4:55 PM GMT
I agree with you - he's got a great profile for the race, imo.

Actually, having checked previous winners, this race has been quite a good guide for the Gold Cup - Imperial Call, Best Mate, Denman, Synchronised, Bobs Worth have all won it (though not all in the same year as they won the Gold Cup)...
Report Big_Issue December 28, 2014 4:57 PM GMT
I think something like 13 of the last 14 GC winners ran in either the Lexus or King George. The GC winner almost certainly ran in the last 2 days
Report mansfieldman December 28, 2014 5:00 PM GMT
road to riches 11.5 and 11 antepost, seems pretty generous really
Report millhouse December 28, 2014 5:06 PM GMT
Even with the unanswered questions about track and extended trip, for a multiple Grade One winner, on a roll, that's just beaten the last two Gold Cup winners, and last year's second, 10-1 is a great price, imho...
Report Noosa December 28, 2014 5:10 PM GMT
Agree that quality in the division is not great. R2R very impressive, will be even better on better ground (was tacky as today). Other will improve more IMO - Too hard on Lord and Bobs - 12 lengths separating them from winner at this time of year...
Report irishone December 28, 2014 5:11 PM GMT
that ground didn't suit many of them including the winner
Report buddeliea December 28, 2014 5:13 PM GMT
Bobs had plenty of hard races, maybe hes had enough?? we will find out next time he runs I should think
Report skygreenzone December 28, 2014 5:31 PM GMT
Good horse 2 years ago should be retired after gold cup even if he wins.
Report mansfieldman December 28, 2014 5:50 PM GMT
12 lengths is a long way to be beaten? but i think bobs and LW were definitely running today with one eye on the gold cup and not todays prize
Report racingstar December 28, 2014 5:54 PM GMT
The BF SP would have you wrongHappy
Report Noosa December 28, 2014 5:57 PM GMT
12 lengths on that ground - Wouldn't think so IMO. Not entirely sure Bobs is what he was, but wouldn't knock him for that performance today.  He came on a lot from his first run to the Lexus last year and would expect to see him next in Chelters now.
Report mansfieldman December 28, 2014 5:58 PM GMT
SP? do you mean antepost odds? i agree both are huge odds especially as previous CD gold cup winners and still in prime age?
Report Dr Crippen December 28, 2014 6:07 PM GMT
Exercise gallop.
Report opatcho December 28, 2014 6:11 PM GMT
novice will take the GC
Report Glossy December 28, 2014 6:21 PM GMT
I'd wager a large sum on a novice not winning the GC! Which novice(s) do you have in mind?
Report warhan December 28, 2014 7:18 PM GMT
'I think something like 13 of the last 14 GC winners ran in either the Lexus or King George. The GC winner almost certainly ran in the last 2 days'

add to that since The Fellow won in 1994 every Cheltenham Gold Cup bar two has been won by the reigning champ or a newcomer to the race.Only Kauto Star (2nd to Denman 08)and See More Business (carried out 98)have defied this stat.

i'll take Dynaste to do an Imperial Commander and follow up his Ryanair win last season
Report sixtwosix December 28, 2014 7:35 PM GMT
I would run The Young Master against the motley crue this season ....I presume he is allowed to run ?
Report unclepuncle December 28, 2014 7:48 PM GMT
Was perfectly happy with Lord Windermere's run. Decentish ground at Cheltenham and he won't be out of the frame.
Report teewyre December 28, 2014 7:59 PM GMT
totally agree unclepuncle! had a decent bet on him at bsp in last years gold cup and intend to do the same this time around.
Report Glossy December 28, 2014 8:05 PM GMT
Yuk
Report Arklearkle December 28, 2014 8:22 PM GMT
They are a motley crew and many of them could turn the form around. LW was beaten 11 1/2 lengths today and 11 lengths last year when he was later beaten 26 lengths in the Irish Hennessy. Was amazed he won last years GC. On His Own lost many lengths jumping right. I cant see Carlingford Lough Sam Winner or First Lieutenant winning a GC. BB was there and had every chance at 3rd last and made a mistake at that fence which did not help his cause. PFN has previously stated on a few occasions that Cheltenham would not suit Silviniaco Conti and possibly last year proved he was right. BW will improve for the run but may indeed be finished. If R2R wins it would probably be a first time for a Galway Plate runner. While 3 miles at Leopardstown in todays conditions is no joke I keep reminding people that three miles and two and a half furlongs around Cheltenham plus in that hill is something else. Its why horses like Synchronised could win the race. He probably was under-rated but he ticked all the staying boxes which really matter. To me this years race is totally open. SC has the best form but Cheltenham is not his course and he is unlikely to get his ground. He had a marvellous chance in 2014 and failed. Methinks its time to hold on to ones money.
Report skygreenzone December 28, 2014 8:29 PM GMT
well explained thank you.
Report Steamship December 28, 2014 9:18 PM GMT
I don't think the GC winner of 2015 has run in the past 2 days. Silvi may be the best horse at 3m but I'm not getting on him at the third attempt. I cannot see any of those behind winning it either.

Todays Lexus if it gives us anything from it then it's Lord Windermere as he will be trained with one race in mind.

This seasons Hennessey is where I would look Smad Place, Houblon Des Obeaux and Many Clouds.
Holywell has one target. The Young Master could improve past them all but I think Mulholland will wait a season

I hope Fry enters Mendip Express
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com