Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Big Boss
23 Jun 12 16:12
| Topic/replies: 5,067 | Blogger: Big Boss's blog
trying to do a montjeu, nearly backfired
Pause Switch to Standard View NOLEN was SHOWBOATING, end of story
Show More
Report Eeeyore June 23, 2012 4:13 PM BST
well said Big Boss i agree with you totally
Report themightymac June 23, 2012 4:14 PM BST
He was. but he learned a big lesson today. good luck to him.
Report Ibrahima Sonko June 23, 2012 4:15 PM BST
thats not what he said in his interview
Report Big Boss June 23, 2012 4:17 PM BST
I dont think on British TV he will openly admit that he was trying to take the pi$$ out of our sprinters
Report Mourinho_of_gambling June 23, 2012 4:17 PM BST
The replay doesn't lie, he almost parked the bloody thing!
Report Haslam June 23, 2012 4:17 PM BST
its just frightning to think of what would have happened to the guy if he'd got caught.He'll be waking up in a cold sweat just at the thought of it.
Report geoff m June 23, 2012 4:17 PM BST
You could see after the race that wasnt showboating.
Any showboater would have been full of it & enjoying the moment he looked full of repent & so he should he nearly fooked up 1 of  the greatest moments of his life.
Report ima_mazed66 June 23, 2012 4:18 PM BST
Why do they bother anyway, would it have mean her having had a much harder race had he pushed her out for the extra few strides or so?

Nothing to gain and everything to lose when they do that.
Report Eeeyore June 23, 2012 4:19 PM BST
I agree with big boss
Report Platini June 23, 2012 4:30 PM BST
Overconfidence, pure and simple. She's clearly better than anything in the field, but not by a wide margin. Connections of Bated Breath must be gutted Shocked
Report ima_mazed66 June 23, 2012 4:35 PM BST
Showboating doesn't have to just mean standing up in the irons and waving the whip crossing the line and even if you don't want to use that particular term, he was clearly trying to be too clever.

As for his understated manner after the race, that's a mixture of anger, disappointment but ultimately one of utter relief.
Report AdvantageAussie June 23, 2012 4:44 PM BST
Connections of Bated Breath must be gutted

More like stupid to dodge a horse who travels 12000 miles to race in your backyard.

Show some balls and take it on ffs.
Report bf_fananatic June 23, 2012 4:52 PM BST
He rode the horse the same way he did last time with little concern for what was to his left and right rear and cruising far too much, more over confidence than show boating but also the horse looked tired and the long haul flight must of has some effect even after 2 weeks, Nelly deserves a good rest now after her many jaunts.
Report ima_mazed66 June 23, 2012 4:58 PM BST
You might well have a point there AdvantageAussie but then just thank your lucky stars that they didn't because Bated Breath is a better horse at 6f and then race before Royal Ascot was only his 2ns try at 5f and first ever win at the distance.

Having said that, both horses were entered in both races so and I personally think they ran in the opposite ones to those that would have suited them best and Bated Breath was running on at the 5f.
Report valetilidie June 23, 2012 5:08 PM BST
he thought hed beaten them off, didnt have a clue about the two closing on the rail, arrogance then took over. im sick of watching it coast, run it out.its a racehorse, connections might be a bit less smug after this
Report aberdonia June 23, 2012 5:10 PM BST
looked at the end of her tether.

Would have been swamped in another 100 yards.
Report AdvantageAussie June 23, 2012 5:14 PM BST
True, he thought he had them covered but didn't realise Black Caviar was on empty and when he stopped asking her for an effort, she must have thought... phew! I can rest now.

So @#$%ing lucky she won.
Report sean rua June 23, 2012 7:01 PM BST
I suppose that if he killed her, the whole breeding thing would over before it started.

That was a tough race. Godolphin were really trying with the other Australian horse, and the French don't read the script so they nearly caused an upset by running well late on.

Likewise, Murtagh would have done a lot better , had he managed to get started properly, imo.
Report sean rua June 23, 2012 7:02 PM BST
would be over.
Report wolfatthedoor June 23, 2012 7:05 PM BST
wondered why those bookies were offering a seemingly generous 7/2 the double about both frankel and black caviar winning by over 3.5 lengths.they know a thing or two those boys
Report northanlite June 23, 2012 7:08 PM BST
would LN have received a ban & fine if he'd been caught?
Report duffy June 23, 2012 7:10 PM BST
showboating, over-confidence, more like looking after her as she was fecking gasping for air, eased down wins by a neck....not eased down she wins by 3/4 of a length, the thing was out on its feet end of.
Report hippie June 23, 2012 7:18 PM BST

A sheepish Nolen accepted he had misjudged his challenge at the line. He said: "I underestimated the testing track of Ascot. She'd had enough and that big engine throttled right down.

"It's unfortunate, because we're going to talk more about my brain failure than the horse's fantastic effort. We won, but it may have overshadowed what was a fantastic effort by the horse. We got away with it."

Why would a jockey ease down 25 yards from the line? It would have taken more out of her stoking her up again.

He was giving it the billy big bollox and almost c0cked it up. If BC was out on her feet she wouldn't have been able to hold off a 7f horse like Moonlight Cloud, who is no slouch.

Report duffy June 23, 2012 7:23 PM BST
He admitted that she was out on her feet and that's why she couldn't wait to drop the lot once she felt him relax the reins.
Report kingG111111 June 23, 2012 7:23 PM BST
the horse is not the horse we all thought she was
Report duffy June 23, 2012 7:24 PM BST
kingG111111     23 Jun 12 19:23 
the horse is not the horse we all thought she was

^
millions of words will and have been written already about the horse but that one sentence says it all imo.
Report tippu June 23, 2012 7:56 PM BST
Pish. The horse was everything. And she won. She is 'everthing'. Jock made some fundamental errors. Complacent and ill timed riding. But, they got away with it. Thanks Black Caviar Love
Report Razldazl June 23, 2012 7:57 PM BST
He pressed go on her when he gave her a clip of the whip, he never got serious driving her out and i personally think that he thought he had gone 5-6 lengths clear when in reality he had only gone 1-2. He wanted to send out a message that she is just as good as Frankel but in a different way. Frankel destroyed them, L.Nolen wanted to win more or less on the bridle to send his own message out. But he nearly ended up with a whole nest of eggs on his face. You could tell with trainers face that he was fuming.
Report kingG111111 June 23, 2012 7:59 PM BST
if he whipped her a million times and drove her out the whole way she wouldnt have won by any further, possibly half a length more at max
Report hippie June 23, 2012 8:02 PM BST
but he didn't whip her a million times more or drive her out.

With the hopes, expectations and money of a nation riding on her he dropped his hands, as Razldazl says, to make a statement.
Report kingG111111 June 23, 2012 8:05 PM BST

Jun 23, 2012 -- 8:02PM, hippie wrote:

but he didn't whip her a million times more or drive her out.With the hopes, expectations and money of a nation riding on her he dropped his hands, as Razldazl says, to make a statement.

i said if he did she wouldnt have won by any further, i have the feeling he dropped his hands to make people think shes better than she really is because she struggled to beat them "B graders" Laugh

Report Eeeyore June 23, 2012 8:07 PM BST
I respect the jockey for the way he conducted himself afterwards and his total honesty
Report wolfatthedoor June 23, 2012 8:09 PM BST
me too eeyore.felt sorry for the lad tbh
Report kingG111111 June 23, 2012 8:10 PM BST

Jun 23, 2012 -- 8:07PM, Eeeyore wrote:

I respect the jockey for the way he conducted himself afterwards and his total honesty

he was lying to the camera afterwards, how the hell could underestimating the stiffness of the track make him drop his hands and start easing up lmao, doesnt make sense

Report homefortea June 23, 2012 8:16 PM BST
Over-rated over-fed and over-here....

Please send over your next World Beater and we may play our A Team.Could be a slogan for the GB Olympic cycling squad...

Come on Cav.....
Report wolfatthedoor June 23, 2012 8:17 PM BST
bit harsh to say he lied.who knows why he did it
but he was visibly upset and felt he had ruined the big day for everyone
all jocks make errors.he will regret it but should not beat himself up too much as he won thank god
does not bear thinking about if he got beat
Report kingG111111 June 23, 2012 8:18 PM BST
luckily he didnt get beat anyway....had visions of mike smith on zenyattas final run...
Report Colonel Trautman June 23, 2012 8:30 PM BST
I believe he would have been assassanated if he he been done on the line..
Report homefortea June 23, 2012 8:38 PM BST
As for that massive crowd watching live in Melbourne could have fitted them in a phone box and watched the race live on an I Phone..

Hype Hype Hype...

Next time you export something from the former Colony make sure that it is top drawer....

If she had been beaten I had it all planned.."Dame Edna,Rolf,Shane Hurley,and err thats about it" you have been beaten....
Report kingG111111 June 23, 2012 8:39 PM BST
australia sucks balls
Report Fashion Fever June 23, 2012 8:44 PM BST
she had flown million miles only been here a fortnight in a completley different country were the weathers indifferent to back home, and they were worried about her getting home on the stiff track and soft ground, believe you me, to me all things considered it was a great performance, when i went to aus i felt like a zombie for a month,

Unfortunatley for the Aussies 90% racegoers have left Ascot with the feeling Frankel wouldnt just beat her she would get blown away by him, and they coame for the complete opposite.

But she won end of, they shouldnt be greedy and go for July cup, give her a nice rest now and race her at home.
Report homefortea June 23, 2012 8:46 PM BST
Yes and no European horse has ever won the Melbourne Cup....

And it is the Australian winter now which is much the same as here...

Over-fed over-hyped and over here....
Report koikeeper June 23, 2012 8:47 PM BST
Honestly cant believe all this Bullsh1t...she travelled half way around the world & still won...how many horses remain unbeaten at 22/22...so she only just won..& she gets slated...Crazy

it would be a different story if frankel went to AUS..& won a head...they would be saying the same thing...but we would be saying he didnt run his race, because we know he is better than that...same senario....

celebrate the horses for what they are...champions in their own country!
Report posy June 23, 2012 8:53 PM BST
Whatever she won and the jockey showed huge dignity and bravery in his mea culpa interview. It was refreshing to see a high profile sportsmsan admit to a human error.
Report hulk23 June 23, 2012 8:56 PM BST
you could tell by the interviews with connections that it was very disappointing.  as someone said earlier it was as if they had suddenly realised she wasn't as good as they thought she was.
Report Filante_ June 23, 2012 9:01 PM BST
If BC were owned and trained by some Colombians Nolen would be on the run by now ...but then again if he was riding for a Pablo Escobar type he would have been whipping her silly even if she was 12L in front just in case.
Report sixtwosix June 23, 2012 9:03 PM BST
the horse was out on it's feet .....no time for easing off.
Report Filante_ June 23, 2012 9:04 PM BST
if they were not jockeys they would be working at supermarkets staking shelves
Report the silverback June 23, 2012 9:33 PM BST
So then. Was he the only jockey who rode an imperfect race?
Report homefortea June 23, 2012 9:41 PM BST
Filante_

But if they were how would we get anything from the top shelf...
Report imagele June 23, 2012 9:52 PM BST
She's brilliant - end of story.  Have you ever had a horse that won 22 straight, kept them fit enough to race (a filly no less - with all their querks). Remember when Frankel nearly got beaten last year.  The Australians shouldn't have built her up so much - it was a mistake - but the Australians do focus on sprinting and they have strength in depth.  if she has beaten them 22 times she has to be something special.

And how many good horses have struggled with Ascot? And in fairness - Frankel is beating the same horses as well.

I know that he can only beat what is put in front of him but what has really beaten? - he only beat Canford Cliffs when the horse got an injury during the race. He hasn't defeated horses of the calibre of Sea the Stars, Zenyatta,Goldikova at her best, etc. When he does this I think he can be compared to horses like Brigadier Gerard.   I love the horse but I think it is the visual impact of his wins that bias our assessment of him. But happy to change my mind if he annihilates something other than Excelerbration.
Report racingstar June 23, 2012 9:55 PM BST
Put up a 128 max.
Superstar ?
Flat track bully.
There is no trip Frankel would not cane her over.
Report stridingedge June 23, 2012 9:59 PM BST
imagele

1.) doesn't excelerbration always beat everything else, no world beater but would have won a good few g1's without frankel

2.) frankel nearly lost because of a shocker of a ride, jock got his nuts roasted after and you won't see such a ride again on the horse.
Report stridingedge June 23, 2012 10:00 PM BST
surely a superstar is always going to beat the same horses because there is nothing out there to touch it?
Report homefortea June 23, 2012 10:00 PM BST
Couldn't have her within a stone less than Frankel.....
Report bf_fananatic June 23, 2012 10:05 PM BST
On the Balance of things when a horse can Travel half way round the globe on a long haul journey and pot up with a change of environment, then get raced on an unusual surface being good-soft as their was cut in the ground and then be ridden by her jockey  that didn't anticipate the class and pace of the race and was busy watching himself on a big screen thinking the race was already over and still win the biggest sprint race in Europe, well that takes some doing so well done Black CaviarWink
Report Eeeyore June 23, 2012 10:11 PM BST
He said he was looking after the horse but also as said before he was over confident but i still believe he had made his mind up that he was going to let her down before the finishing line as he was so used to doing that.In other words a little bit of showing off
Report bf_fananatic June 23, 2012 10:14 PM BST
That's true but the time was slower than another race on the card so considering it wasn't a classic race he should of had her up to the competition mark pace wise and I reckon he will get some serious ear ache from his trainer and owners at some point.
Report Eeeyore June 23, 2012 10:20 PM BST
I said it earlier that if a jockey is not used to ascot and how it rides I.E on a one off compared to our top jocks.Personally i would have jocked up Mick Fitz cos it reminds him of Fondmort.
Report denathorn June 23, 2012 10:26 PM BST
Here is the thing. He eased off with 7 strides to the line, sitting motionless for 5 of them. He lost 3/4 of a length once he started easing her and to be completely honest 1 more stride and her record was over.

I respect her for coming to the UK, on such a flight, different climate and racing on probably the slowest ground she will have encountered. She was  also given the full go for it treatment at the 1 and a half pole. She didnt dismiss the opposition like she normally does, who knows why, but she still won. On todays showing she is 1 lenght better than the runner up.

The only 2 things that she was lucky with were 1) Bated breath did not run and 2) Society rock completely blew the start. If one of these 2 things were different then today would have been her losing day, not assumption, but fact. But well done BC, you came and you conquered, the hype however, clearly overshadows the performance.
Report imagele June 23, 2012 10:27 PM BST
I think the jockey did showboat a little - he was too confident that she was better than the opposition but the French filly is high class - I had money on her because I thought she was the only one that would give BC a run for her money. I think BC was found out by the ground but then Miss Andretti managed to fly over, manage the jetlag and run oustandingly in the King's Stand - but then flopped over the extra furlong.

And re: what she has beaten - Hay List is her Excelebration.  He comes out without BC and wins a Group One at Flemington running 1.8.72.  Doesn't sound like a slouch to me. She's beaten him 5 or 6 times.
Report tilt10 June 23, 2012 10:36 PM BST
Thought  some of the rides on Frankel were bad. At least they were trying to win the race. It is a wonder Frankel is still racing. Shows you what a freak this horse is.
That ride by Nolan was a joke.If he had lost the race he would have been tarred and feathered back in Australia.
Report councillor June 23, 2012 10:41 PM BST
i think he was trying to make the mare look good without doubt. At one point i thought he had misjudged the winning line.
Report ima_mazed66 June 24, 2012 12:25 AM BST
The ground was described as Good for the race and she has winning from on Good To Soft back home and even did so on her win at 7f.
Report GT-MOLE June 24, 2012 12:28 AM BST
ROFL............get over it YSDCs........her times told you what WE already knew.LaughLaughLaughWink
Report educeee June 24, 2012 1:07 AM BST

Jun 24, 2012 -- 12:28AM, GT-MOLE wrote:

ROFL............get over it YSDCs........her times told you what WE already knew.

what's that? **** all?

LaughLaughLaugh

Report ima_mazed66 June 24, 2012 1:14 AM BST
Don't you have some pie to go and eat, the humble flavour?
Report educeee June 24, 2012 1:21 AM BST
speaking of knowing **** all, there he is CoolCool
Report ima_mazed66 June 24, 2012 2:27 AM BST
LOL....I know the difference between a genuine superstar and a hyped up mare that failed miserably to live up to that hype and I actually felt quite sorry for in the end.

So anyway, just the 2 Aussies sprinters to make excuses for at RA, so at least your attention span won't be too sorely tested and something else that slipped under the radar was the result of the Hardwicke, which is a Gr2 and was won by Sea Moon by 3¼L, a horse with 5 wins from 8 starts now, made up of a maiden, a handicap, a Gr2, a listed and then the Hardwicke itself but was a beaten 3rd in his only Gr1 here yet still beat the first 2 home in last year's Gr1 handicap (still don't quite get that) the Melbourne Cup.

Those first 2 home in the MC were Dunaden and Red Cadeaux and they are 6 wins from 32 starts and 6 wins from 29 and have won a combined total of 2 Gr1s from 61 starts, both outside of Europe and both were Dunaden's, those being the MC and HK Vase and both would fall out of the back of the telly if they ever ran in the Arc, even if it was a 63" Wide Screen!
Report educeee June 24, 2012 2:29 AM BST
don't want to discuss SYT's victory?

no.. not today?

okay I understand
Report kingrat June 24, 2012 2:36 AM BST
maz,u have gone down in my estimation argueing the obvious with these toss ers,get a grip ,dont demean yreself and waste yre talents Wink
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com