Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
elisjohn
26 Jul 20 20:33
| Topic/replies: 16,164 | Blogger: elisjohn's blog
an absolute cracker for this day and age, and the shocking poor group1 we have now and far to many of them, but really looking forward to this renewal, english 2000, irish 2000, queen anne winner, and the 2nd in 2000  taking each other on.

kameko at 6s is a fantastic each way bet imo.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 46
By:
penzance
When: 26 Jul 20 20:45
Kameko's top price  is 7/2,(3s generally)
By:
Figgis
When: 26 Jul 20 23:20
I agree it's a more competitive race than we often get and much more interesting for it. However, for me, not one of these has put up what I'd call a genuine Gp1 effort. I thought Kameko was the worst Guineas winner in the last 10 years. He ran below par in the Derby and might return to form now back to a mile, but it's not a great standard. I have Siskin exactly equal to him. To the eye it was reasonably impressive the way he won at the Curragh after getting into trouble, leaving the impression he might've won even easier with a clear run, but I'm not totally convinced. I have him running exactly to his 2yo mark and think he might not have improved at all since last year, and I prefer to stick with 3yos that I believe have improved.

I have Circus Maximus running to a new peak last time, but at these weights it leaves him a pound behind Kameko and Siskin. Even if those two don't quite run to their best CM looked all out to me so doesn't appeal. The other 4yo who ran a career best last time was Mohaather. Conceding these wfa terms means I still only have him level with Kameko and Siskin. So I have things extremely tight between the top four contenders. Often that would mean a no bet race, but Mohaather is the only one I strongly fancy to repeat his best effort and just possibly even improve on it a little. I've had nibbles at him for this since his Ascot win and plan to back him again on the day.
By:
elisjohn
When: 27 Jul 20 02:52
penzance, 6s plus on here
By:
elisjohn
When: 27 Jul 20 02:58
i agree its not a great standard but yes its interesting, and by far the most ive looked forward to a group1 for a while,  but back to your comment about ," its not a great standard, " i reckon its years since we had a really good standard group1 race, actually when and witch race would it have been,? was it in the last 10 years?    trying to think!
By:
elisjohn
When: 27 Jul 20 03:00
ps i wouldnt rule out wichita completly
By:
penzance
When: 27 Jul 20 06:16
personally think Siskin's a very good horse
and will be disappointed if he gets beat in
this.
   GL ALL
By:
A_T
When: 27 Jul 20 09:09
looks like a good renewal to me - Guineas winner vs Irish equivalent - not sure what people are expecting. Siskin for me unless the ground is soft
By:
Figgis
When: 27 Jul 20 09:14
As said, it's a deeper race than usual. However the Guineas winner is very poor this year, in my view anyway. The jury is still out on Siskin.
By:
Figgis
When: 27 Jul 20 09:23
Elisjohn, I have to disagree. Yes there have been some absolutely terrible standards of Gp1s, bound to be with more of them around. I'd say there have been some really good ones though. It depends on what you call a really good standard?
By:
A_T
When: 27 Jul 20 10:05
There are too many G1s these days - especially for fillies/mares only. But there are as many good horses as there has ever been.
By:
Figgis
When: 27 Jul 20 10:18
What A_T said.
By:
elisjohn
When: 27 Jul 20 10:31
AT,  i cannot agree , that there are as many good horses as there has ever been, But of course we can all have our opinionsWink.
figgis, you know your horses and ratings etc etc, just a question , what horse race group1 in the uk  is the last do you personally consider to have been very high standards , difficult ? i suppose , what about frankel, st nicholas , farrh york race
By:
Figgis
When: 27 Jul 20 12:27
Elisjohn, I think it all depends on what you consider a great standard. Some people want to see a race full of great depth, but in my experience there are very, very few races where more than two really top notch horses run right up to their best at the same time. I've seen plenty of high standard winning performances where the runners behind might not have run to a great level on the day. I believe Love ran to an outstanding level when winning the Oaks. When Enable won her Oaks I had her 6lbs higher than any previous Oaks winning performance as far back as 1985, and she didn't do too badly afterwards. It's unlikely Love will have as great a career as Enable but if she stays sound I'll be very surprised if she's beaten this year. Whether this year's Oaks can be considered a great race is another matter, as those behind were hardly top class. I know all races aren't fast run, but personally I like to see a horse put up a very fast performance before I consider it truly top class. Other people will judge using other factors, which is fair enough.

As to that York race, I don't want to get into debates about horses before I got into racing, 1985, but since then it was clearly the fastest race I've ever rated, bar one, which was Frankel's Queen Anne win, which I have a couple of pounds higher. Despite that I would say I've seen Gp1s with more depth, as while St Nicholas Abbey was obviously a very good horse with a long career I would argue that he wasn't quite top notch. I would also say that Farhh was a few pounds better over a mile than 10f. What did you think of the race?
By:
elisjohn
When: 27 Jul 20 13:30
yes i agree with your comments re that york race, but this years oaks seems on the form book so far terrible, though one of the also rans ran 2nd in a listed yesterday, and again love beat nothing at all in the gns, so personally i think 7/2 ish for the arc is a joke, and i have layed her.
but my memory is poor these days especially all sport in the 2000 onwards , but excellent of the late 70s and 80s, so many great races, quality then, and just top of my head then , what a class the eclipse, nashwan, indian skimmer and warning, yes it did turn up as a bog and clearly warning didnt stay , but what quality of horses taking each other on, then again top of my head, the teenoso king george, just watched it the other day, some great horses in the field.
but im nowhere in your parish regarding ratings etc , but enjoy yourself, brigust, james etc on the forumWink
By:
Figgis
When: 27 Jul 20 14:28
Elisjohn, I remember all those apart from Teenoso, who I only saw and read about later. I agree that there was a different feel about racing back then, and in a way it was more enjoyable. I think partly because there was a handful or more of different yards and jockeys who all had a shout in the big races. These days, apart from the odd exception, the best races are generally being carved up between two yards, one more dominant than the other in quantity, if not always quality.

Speaking for myself, though, another major reason was just because it was all new and fresh to me. Plus, without yet suffering all the knocks that come from being a hardened punter, I was inclined to be far more fearless in those days, which made for entertaining big ups and downs. So those days were special to me but I couldn't honestly say the horses were always better. I remember thinking how lucky I was to get into racing the year that a triple crown winning filly was around, Oh So Sharp. I still rank it as a great achievement. However, analysing those races years later I wouldn't say any particular performance on its own was exceptional. A scrambled home win in a decent Guineas, an admittedly impressive win in the Oaks, which was up there with the better performances I'd seen in an Oaks until Enable came along. Beaten by Petoski and then Commanche Run when in receipt of a more favourable allowance back then. Then won the St Leger by 3/4 length from Phardante, if I remember rightly.

So I'm certainly not knocking what was still a great achievement but it's easy to confuse that with the form being better than that of today's horses. It's not all about ratings, as you know. I could be wrong about Love, although in this case I'm almost certain I'm right. Nevertheless, just because a horse ran fast last time it doesn't mean it will do it again. Hopefully Love will, and even if her next outing is against moderate opposition she should get the chance a race later to show how good she is in the Arc.
By:
Charlton2005
When: 28 Jul 20 20:03
Mohaather is the only one I strongly fancy to repeat his best effort and just possibly even improve on it a little. I've had nibbles at him for this since his Ascot win and plan to back him again on the day.
now you're proposing a 5/2 shot that should be 10/1... no clue
By:
Deptford
When: 28 Jul 20 20:44
Put up your money please for 10/1, I will take as much as you put up, cheers.
By:
Charlton2005
When: 28 Jul 20 20:49
why would I do that when i'm laying all the 3.85 I want?
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 09:44
Figgis it bothers me, I don't know why, but all this about Frankel's Queen Anne win being fast is beyond me. The Queen Anne Stakes in 2012 was run on a newly laid surface installed 7 years before his race.
In the 20 years before the new development only one horse achieved better than average time yet in the 7 years since the development 3 horses bettered average time and Frankel's was the third fastest of those. Up until today 9 horses have now beaten average time from 15 races on this newly laid course.
Enough already.
Back to the Sussex Stakes.

I think this lies between Wichita and Kameko.

Circus Maximus win at Ascot where he beat Terebellum (beaten since), Maries Diamond (beaten since) and Roseman (beaten since) isn't great. Mohaather may have been unlucky but he would still have beaten these horse so I think he needs to improve. I wouldn't mind him winning, too much, for the trainer.

I don't think Siskin's form is good enough but he is unbeaten and there may be more to come but at the moment it isn't good enough.

That leaves Wichita and Kameko. Frankie is back on Wichita who I think was mugged by Kameko in the Guineas after taking on Pinatubo and Pinatubo has come out and won since. I think Tyan tree to be clever at Ascot last time going slowly but this time I think there will be a good pace and so Wichita is my choice with Kameko a huge danger.

Good luck guys
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 09:45
*Ryan tried to be clever
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 10:05
I should have added Frankel's time is only the 6th fastest of those 9 runnings. Sorry guys only I never brought it up but I will definitely leave I there.

Just to remind you that Brigadier Gerard won this race in 1971 (49 years ago) on soft ground beating Faraway Son by 5 lengths. I remember standing in the security guards hut early that morning, where the only available telephone was, and having my biggest ever bet at 6/4. I still remember the guard's face when I placed my bet. Happy days.
By:
Figgis
When: 29 Jul 20 10:07
now you're proposing a 5/2 shot that should be 10/1... no clue

So we have 5/2 shot that should be 10/1. That must leave some massive value elsewhere. It would be interesting to see how you have priced up the other 6 runners? Especially with you being such a mathematical expert.
By:
FELTFAIR
When: 29 Jul 20 11:00
Aftertiming Brigust.
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 11:39
I know Felt, but it still feels good and as clear as day. My Mum, my sister and my girlfriend went and the sun shone. Wonderful.
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 12:05
It was a good race too Felt. Faraway Son had just beaten My Swallow 6 lengths in France on the soft ground he loved, he had won the French 2000 Guineas the year before, Joshua was next in, he had been narrowly beaten in the Lockinge and had just won two in France, in the last he beat Dictus who next won the Prix Jacques le Marios. The Irish 2000 Guineas winner had since won the Cork & Orrery at Royal Ascot (now the Diamond Jubilee) and was beaten 17 lengths of the five. The meeting was at risk because of rain and the going was definitely soft but 6/4 in the morning was a steal.
By:
FELTFAIR
When: 29 Jul 20 12:26
GrinGrin
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 12:38
It's alright Felt I have spent the money and still have the girlfriend. Is there no end to my luck?

Back to the race, I do think Wichita has the best form and has been overlooked.
By:
FELTFAIR
When: 29 Jul 20 12:45
Is the girl friend in addition to the wife?
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 12:47
One and the same. They take it in turns.
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 12:48
Love
By:
Millerracing67
When: 29 Jul 20 14:04
Cracking race in store. Couldn't make up my mind for the single play??
So a few ££ on the reverse fc 2 & 5 @ 5.3
By:
penzance
When: 29 Jul 20 14:15
brigust1,
That Brigadier aftertiming,great story.
   GL
By:
harry callaghan
When: 29 Jul 20 14:26
well done figgis
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 14:28
Great for Marcus. Not sure Wichita is a lot for Palace Pier. Yes, well done Figgis.
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 14:28
*did
By:
unclepuncle
When: 29 Jul 20 14:33
Frankie Dettori hang your head in shame. Riding a total spoiler for Coolmore - Wichita never trying to win the race just ridden to cause as much trouble as possible for Circus Maximus’s rivals. Can understand Beggy or Lordan riding to orders like that but you should be above that.

Thank God it didn’t work and the best horse by a mile still won.
By:
brigust1
When: 29 Jul 20 14:54
Not sure what else Frankie could do without completely screwing up his chance. I think Kameko should have won but that can be the best way to the poor house.
By:
penzance
When: 29 Jul 20 15:04
His mount was within 1L of the 2nd about
a furlong out,was there to win but faded
not good enough,cant see what he did wrong.
By:
penzance
When: 29 Jul 20 15:06
Mohaather backers
   wd
   GL
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies: