Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
cryoftruth
29 Oct 14 06:45
| Topic/replies: 7,986 | Blogger: cryoftruth's blog
This is a most beautifully bred beast that won last Sunday, beating the 3.5 million pound horse of Coolmore, Sir Isaac Newton in a maiden. It was a cracking race with niothing much between the first 2, but with the "right horse" the Sir James Bolger trained one back in 3rd beaten over 7 lengths by thew winner.

After the race Dermot Weld, usually very reserved said he expected the first 2 to be comopeting in group 1 races and that Zaraq would be aimed at a Guineas trial. Zawraq clearly has plenty of pasce as the win last weekend was over only 7 furlongs. He has stamina on the dam's side of his pedigree as this has Height of Fashion  (dam of Nashwan and Unfuwain etc) in there. Not sure howm many shamardal's get 12 furlongs but Zawraq could be anything. Reported;y he had a cold leading up to his debut so Dermot was expecting Zawraq to come on considerably. he is to be aimed at the 2000 Guineas.

Now its early days and only a maiden. However Dermot Weld is no fool and definitely not prone to exaggeration. Zawraq is definiely very good and might be exceptional.

Why then he he traing at 100! on here? Has he suddenly gone lame or has he died or something?
Show More
Report duncan idaho October 29, 2014 7:08 PM GMT
it was an earcatchingly bullish interview from Weld..i had a look at the runner-up in the Derby betting (bred to stay and showed plenty given slowly-run 7f wouldnt have suited)...tad disappointed to see that the only 25/1 left was with Ladcrokes, who usually have a good line to the yard
Report cryoftruth October 30, 2014 4:01 AM GMT
Yes I noticed that Duncan. I am not at all sure that Isaac Newton would necessarily prove the better of the pair either. Sawraq was held up in his work before the race with that cold. I remember very well Zawraq's relative -Nashwan. He was quite stoutly bred and yet was, early in the Spring of his year, suddenly hammered in the betting for the 2000 Guineas. He apparently did a gallop that made people know he was a Guineas winner.. Zawraq's does seem to have inherited a lot of the family speed although he's bred to stay 12 furlongs.

If only we could be sure that Dermot Weld would aim for HQ I would be very keen for his 2000 Guineas chances. I am unconvinced really by the middle park, racingpost trophy or dewhurst form. The interesting 2000 guineas candidates for me are Convey, Zawraq and Ol' Man River.
Report duncan idaho October 30, 2014 8:58 AM GMT
No-one can be sure which will prove the better of the pair on the basis of that one run...to my eye, Sir Isaac Newton is the more stoutly bred of the two, so i just felt it had to be encouraging he made Zawraq (who dictated) dig deep, particularly if Weld is right about the winner being potentially top-class @ 8f/10f

i wouldnt be reading anything into the head cold tbh...Weld said it was over a month ago. We've no idea what state of readiness these horses that are squeezing in a backend run are at (AOB said SIN was 'just ready to start')
Report cryoftruth April 12, 2015 5:22 PM BST
The 100 he traded at does not look too shoddy now. This is a high class colt. He might though just fall between stools regards classic trip. Will he get 12 and will he be fast enough for a mile.
Report sintonian April 12, 2015 6:15 PM BST
Is he going to Newmarket? 20/1 on here..
Report Howellsy April 12, 2015 7:52 PM BST
Looking at the times for today's races, I'm stunned at how much slower than standard they were. I've never seen times like it. That ground must have been unraceable. Compared to last year's meeting, supposedly also on soft to heavy, they are around seven seconds slower per race!
Report EastLower Gooner April 12, 2015 10:14 PM BST
the ground did look pretty slow (and choppy...almost holding ground) at the start of the day...quite a few horses made hard work of it so it was pleasing to see him go through the gears the way he did.
Report king_james18 April 27, 2015 9:59 AM BST
hope gets a guineas run best trial for a derby
Report king_james18 April 27, 2015 12:15 PM BST
looks a runner as Intilaaq been taken out :)
Report FELTFAIR April 27, 2015 4:20 PM BST
Intilaaq in Zawraq out.
Report Howellsy April 27, 2015 7:25 PM BST
I have to say I think that's a crazy decision. The forecast is for plenty of rain so it will probably be no faster than good, with the possibility of soft being in the description. There's only one Guineas and Zawraq should have been entered in case of appropriate going on the day. Can he really be a Derby horse - by Shamardal?
Report cryoftruth April 29, 2015 9:41 PM BST
I agree and it has not helped my book at all.

Not sure if he will stay 12 all that well either. He might do as there is some stamina on the dams side, but he did look to me like mainly a 2000 guineas rather than a Derby horse. However if Dermot Weld has chosen this route for the horse, I am not going to argue. He knows a bit about his job.

Mind you the trainer may have been told by the owner as he has a few in the Guineas already.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com