Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
platinni
15 May 10 16:42
| Topic/replies: 73 | Blogger: platinni's blog
Paco fav

Ho ho ho Laugh

Rip Van 2/1 plus?  dream of this kind of bet

too soon to pile in?

Cool
Pause Switch to Standard View Queen Anne Steaks
Show More
Report Tavaris Jackson May 17, 2010 8:34 PM BST
Paco is obviously the most likely runner.
Goldikova and Rip haven't been seen on the track yet.

Would be a hell of a race if all three were to show.
Still hoping for Rip to go Prince of Wales and Starspangledbanner to go for this, almost no chance though.
Report Deep Impact May 17, 2010 9:09 PM BST
Goldikova has a near faultless record in G1's over a mile (7/8 with only defeat against Zarkava), in receipt of 3lb & with perfect form figures on straight-mile tracks - 7/2 looks more than fair imo
Report Charlton2005 May 17, 2010 9:10 PM BST
agree Deep.Laying the pants off this Paco. GL
Report Dooberama May 17, 2010 9:20 PM BST
I'd be happy to take 2/1 against Paco Boy vs a rusty RVW.  If Goldikova and RVW both show up and are 100% it will obviously be a bad price.

I think Paco Boy is getting maligned a bit unfairly here.  In a normal year he would be the best miler in training.  He didn't need to win on Saturday to prove that.  It is just unfortunate for connections that the other two have stayed around.

Will be a corking race if all 3 show up.
Report TD_Gunner May 17, 2010 9:25 PM BST
agree about Paco ^

never seems to get the credit he deserves, a smashing horse. 3 Group 1 wins now including bolting up in this last year.

Would be siding with the Ripper atm for this race though, one of the best we've seen in years.
Report Charlton2005 May 17, 2010 9:35 PM BST
More than 1/2 a stone wrong with the filly. Credit is for losers. Cash is king.
Report TD_Gunner May 17, 2010 9:38 PM BST
and you certainly lost cash on Saturday when be sluiced up. Cool
Report Dooberama May 17, 2010 9:44 PM BST
Don't suppose you'd take 5/2?  Have had it waiting a while with no takers [:D]
Report Charlton2005 May 17, 2010 10:03 PM BST
Can you guess why Doob?
Report Dooberama May 17, 2010 10:05 PM BST
because you aren't really laying the pants off him?
Report Charlton2005 May 17, 2010 10:16 PM BST
Well I laid 6 but you were tooooooo slooooooooowwwwww
Report TD_Gunner May 17, 2010 10:58 PM BST
Laugh
Report sintonian May 17, 2010 11:10 PM BST
Paco has to be Fav regardless who is the better beast imo .. at least he has proven his well being this season which counts for an awful lot.

Goldikova classy though she is knocking on a bit and she will have to dig really deep to beat both these fella's imo.

RVW fully fit would win but not an ante-post propositon imvho.
Report Far From Trouble May 17, 2010 11:15 PM BST
Goldie knocking on a bit Confused
Report sintonian May 17, 2010 11:18 PM BST
Yes, 6yo now no ?
Report Far From Trouble May 17, 2010 11:19 PM BST
5 y/o, like Paco
Report sintonian May 17, 2010 11:22 PM BST
correct thought she was 6.

should still be pert then.[:p]
Report downallstar May 17, 2010 11:25 PM BST
Rip wins this, he'll even stop 1f out to give Goldie a quick one, and make Paco watch! Laugh
Report Far From Trouble May 17, 2010 11:28 PM BST
RIP will be better over 10/12 furlongs this year imo.

Paco/Goldie are proper milers
Report jamesmook May 18, 2010 11:45 AM BST
Goldikova is entered in the Ispahan this weekend. Lack of fitness and the extra distance will probably find her out, but I think she'll win the Queen Anne easily.
Report ben10 May 19, 2010 12:44 AM BST
Goldi and Rip want a strong pace, Paco Boy is more a turn of foot horse and I can see the former two having conditions made to suit them over Paco Boy. Both have also slaughtered Paco Boy in the past and with Goldi being warmed up for this at the weekend and Rip being specifically readied for this by his trainer who will almost certainly be going much better by then I can't see how Paco Boy can win this.

Of the two I find it hard to split them, might side with the filly simply because she's definitely more a miler and may just be able to get first run on Rip.
Report platinni May 19, 2010 2:55 PM BST
lol @ das Laugh
Report Graeme83 May 19, 2010 2:59 PM BST
Goldikova every time. She's my favourite horse. Love
Report Deep Impact May 19, 2010 3:07 PM BST
Goldikova Love one of 14 left in Sunday's Prix D'Ispahan after latest forfeit
Report Viva Pataca May 20, 2010 7:23 PM BST
Don't rule out Happy Zero for this.

John Moore was quoted as saying that Royal Ascot and the Golden Jubilee was on the agenda after they won the final leg of the HK Speed Series, the Queen's Silver Jubilee.

Always been a miler and not a sprinter though, bolted up in the sprint trial last November before pushing Hong Kong Mile winner Good Ba Ba all the way in that race. Subsequently ran in three more races, two at 6f and one at 7f. Beaten in both the sprints but had the likes of Armada, Fellowship, Sight Winner and Egyptian Ra behind in that Queen's Silver Jubilee. And after storming home to take third in the Krisflyer,getting outpaced early, step back up to a mile has to be under consideration. If they do decide to take him over, then the Queen Anne would be the most likely in my opinion.

And if we're talking 2/1 each of the other three, then Happy Zero has to be 16/1 or 20/1 minimium. Hopefully, Moore and Beadman take him over and for the right race.
Report A_T May 20, 2010 8:26 PM BST
Doubt Goldikova will run - more likely the fillies only mile race at Newmarket soon afterwards.
Report sintonian May 24, 2010 10:29 AM BST
Report bazzar May 24, 2010 6:27 PM BST
These QUEEN ANNE steaks must be be well rotted by now.
Report Clare999 May 25, 2010 3:38 PM BST
Goldikova is now 5-2 with PP and Boyles.  She broke the track record on Sunday and seems to be as good as ever.  Even if RVW runs O'Brien horses typically need their first run so would be avoiding him.  Pacp Boy beat nothing in the Lockinge but did look impressive but Goldikova is a dual Breeders Cup mile winner so her form is superior to all.
Report mythical prince May 25, 2010 3:49 PM BST
paco sniff
Report MickInGoldersGreen May 25, 2010 5:31 PM BST
Why is the market suspended......any one know...????
Something up....?????

Oh and btw Goldi all the way..... ;-)
Report A_T May 25, 2010 8:29 PM BST
maybe doubts about the participation of a leading fancy? ;)
Report Belmez May 25, 2010 8:54 PM BST
most markets at RA closed today (see rules) for a declaration stage - I think they open again tomorrow morning (not sure what time, where we will see a fair few scratched and hopefully things will be clearer until we get to 5 day decs and some more will be taken out and some may be supplemented!
Report askari1 May 26, 2010 4:13 AM BST
I laid Paco in this last yr and it looks like I will be doing so again. The track is nowhere near as straightforward as the straight miles that Goldikova has won over in the past (despite pos. being a truer surface) but she has to have the best chance off the conditions imv.
Report ben10 May 31, 2010 10:15 PM BST
Report ben10 May 31, 2010 11:47 PM BST
Cheers Belmez:

Alexandros  5 9-0  Saeed Suroor   
Arabian Gleam  6 9-0  J Noseda   
Ashram (IRE)  4 9-0  Saeed Suroor
Beacon Lodge (IRE)  5 9-0  C G Cox   
Calming Influence (IRE)  5 9-0  Mahmood Al Zarooni   
Cat Junior (USA)  5 9-0  B J Meehan
Caymans (AUS)  5 9-0  Saeed Suroor   
Dalghar (FR)  4 9-0  A de Royer-Dupre
Dream Eater (IRE)  5 9-0  A M Balding
Famous Name  5 9-0  D K Weld   
Fareer  4 9-0  E A L Dunlop
Kargali (IRE)  5 9-0  Luke Comer
Lord Shanakill (USA)  4 9-0  H R A Cecil
Ouqba  4 9-0  B W Hills   
Paco Boy (IRE)  5 9-0  R Hannon
Pipedreamer  6 9-0  K A Ryan
Rio de La Plata (USA)  5 9-0  Saeed Suroor
Rip Van Winkle (IRE)  4 9-0  A P O'Brien   
Silver Frost (IRE)  4 9-0  Y de Nicolay     
Sirocco Breeze  5 9-0  Saeed Suroor   
Skysurfers  4 9-0  Saeed Suroor
The Cheka (IRE)  4 9-0  Eve Johnson Houghton   
Zacinto  4 9-0  Sir Michael Stoute   
Starspangledbanner (AUS)  4 8-13  A P O'Brien   
Goldikova (IRE)  5 8-11  F Head   
Reggane  4 8-11  A de Royer-Dupre   

First bit of news
LAST year's Poule d'Essai des Poulains winner Silver Frost (Yves de Nicolay/Christophe Soumillon) regained his winning ways on Monday when taking this minor conditions race.

Held up by Soumillon early on, the son of Verglas accelerated in the final stages to win in workmanlike fashion by three-quarters of a length from Freminius with Flash Dance a further length away third.

Owned by John Cotton, Silver Frost followed his win in the Poulains with two disappointing sixth placed efforts in the Prix du Jockey Club and Prix Jacques Le Marois.

He was subsequently retired due to injury but, having undergone a successful operation in the autumn, he returned to Nicolay earlier this year.

Silver Frost made his seasonal comeback in the Group 2 Prix du Muguet earlier in the month, finishing seventh.

"That was a real confidence boost for the colt, and the distance was a little short for his liking. He needed the run in the Muguet and today was good," said Cotton.

Connections are undecided about his next possible start, but Cotton added: "He is entered at Ascot (Queen Anne Stakes) but there are no decisions yet and we will have to see how he comes out of the race. The colt will definitely not run if the ground is firm."
Report Belmez June 5, 2010 6:58 PM BST
some 130 left if anyone wants to add to their portfolio?

DALGHAR (Alain de Royer-Dupre/Christophe Lemaire) could be seen in the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot on June 15 after an easy two-and-a-half-length win at Longchamp.

"We will think about Ascot," Royer-Dupre said, before adding "Dalghar is a strong colt and physically he probably is up to having two races in such quick succession as he won easily today. We will take some time to decide as there are other options."

The son of Anabaa, who started 2-1 favourite, is a half-brother to Dalakhani and Daylami.

Alain de Royer-Dupre: trainer will consider Queen Anne for Dalghar

The four-year-old was always travelling sweetly for Lemaire
throughout the race behind Colonial, who was very free in the early stages.

After a tap from his jockey, Dalghar accelerated well to win with something in hand from Colonial with Salut L'Africain a further length-and-a-half behind the leading pair.

Owned by the Aga Khan, Dalghar  has always been highly-regarded by his connections. "Dalghar is a very versatile horse and should have no problem over a mile again. He is a horse who is on the upgrade and can keep progressing at a higher level," Royer-Dupre added.
Report Belmez June 6, 2010 10:50 PM BST
Does anyone think Rip Van Winkle will turn up?  I have searched the internet and have found nothing recently about this superstar?
Will he need the run if he does turn up? AOB form a bit patchy and some of the older horses have not been fully tuned up fto.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughtsConfused
Report Teddy Sheringham June 6, 2010 10:56 PM BST
Rip Van Winkle is in good form and getting ready for Royal Ascot. Everything is going to plan so I am looking forward to seeing him run. He got a stone bruise a few times last year at the wrong time but it is so far so good this time. The plan at the moment is the Queen Anne with an option of the Prince Of Wales's but the Queen Anne is the one we are looking at the strongest.

that was last week, if it wasnt for the POW being a possibility id pile into the 3/1
Report Belmez June 6, 2010 11:21 PM BST
cheers Teddy - are you not worried by lack of a run (in either race?)
Report Far From Trouble June 7, 2010 3:30 PM BST
Chew still keen on RIP plat?
Report sintonian June 7, 2010 6:25 PM BST
Teddy, 40/1 on here for the POW last time I look so you could saver.
Report platinni June 7, 2010 6:26 PM BST
yes FFT Cool
Report amaru June 7, 2010 6:30 PM BST
Rain might scupper Paco Boy here, an absolute stack of it is forecast for the rest of the week.  Wonder if they might opt to wait for the Jubilee with a dry week forecast next week?  Either way, Goldikova for me, they wont see which way she went.
Report sintonian June 7, 2010 6:36 PM BST
Yes Amaru there is and expected to clear up by the weekend. I reckon it will still be Good ground by Tuesday,though, as Ascot tends to recover well,imo
Report TD_Gunner June 7, 2010 6:40 PM BST
yeah Hannon Jr said they haven't ruled out the Jubilee.
Report amaru June 7, 2010 6:45 PM BST
19mm Tomorrow
6.2mm Weds
18.3mm Thurs
32.6mm Fri
Nothing Sat
10.3mm Sun
Dry Mon and Tue

Thats an awful lot of rain imv and if they get all of that, cant see it being good on the Tuesday.
Report sintonian June 7, 2010 6:47 PM BST
That's a lotta rain!
Report amaru June 7, 2010 6:53 PM BST
Indeed, although with our forecasts they are just as likely to have temperatures in the 100s and not a single cloud in the sky!! PlainSilly

Should be the usual 'Good to Firm, Heavy in places (waterlogged in the home straight)' going description that we get at Ascot.
Report Teddy Sheringham June 7, 2010 8:03 PM BST
Soldier of fortune won the coronation fto &
Duke of marmalade the ganay so not overly concerned at Rip not having a run. Soft ground shouldnt be a problem i dont think?
Report Belmez June 7, 2010 9:58 PM BST
GOLDIKOVA was on Monday cut to 2-1 favourite (from 9-4) by William Hill for the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot next Tuesday, as trainer Freddie Head reported the multiple Group 1 winner in the form of her life for the clash with Paco Boy and Rip Van Winkle.

Victor Chandler made the same price cut for the dual Breeders' Cup Mile winner, although Paco Boy is their joint-favourite.

VC’s Neal Wilkins stated: “The Queen Anne could be described as the race of the meeting and Paco Boy will have to take another step up after his easy success in the Lockinge.

"Goldikova is a fantastic racemare and Rip Van Winkle’s victories in the QEII and Sussex Stakes proved he is up there with the best.  It is certainly a race to savour and racegoers should ensure they arrive in time to watch it!”

As Head enthused over the well-being of Goldikova, Richard Hannon jnr, assistant trainer of Paco Boy, said there was still an outside chance he would run in the Golden Jubilee Stakes instead, although the Queen Anne remained the much more likely prospect.

Goldikova would be bidding for her ninth Group/Grade 1 victory and was last seen landing the Group 1 Prix d'Ispahan last month. Head told the Racing Post: "She is in very good form; I do not think I have ever had her better."

RipVan Winkle has not been seen since disappointing as 2-1 favourite for the Breeders' Cup Classic, in which he could finish only tenth.

However, he is a dual Group 1 winner, including at Ascot and in the BGC Sussex Stakes, in which he beat Paco Boy by over two lengths. He retains plenty of supporters, as evidenced by Hills' decision to trim the Aidan O'Brien-trained colt to 11-4 (from 3) on Monday.

Goldikova's fellow French raider Dalghar, from the stable of Alain de Royer-Dupre, was also supported on Monday for the Queen Anne, with Victor Chandler going 10-1 (from 12).
------
CONNECTIONS of Paco Boy are raring to take Goldikova on in the Queen Anne at Royal Ascot but acknowledge that the great mare will prove a particularly tough nut to crack, despite Paco Boy having "improved".

Paco Boy was an impressive winner of the first race of the royal meeting last year and comes into the race having barely come off the bridle in taking the Group 1 Totesport.com Lockinge Stakes.

The 1m Group 1 is also the intended target of Rip Van Winkle, who defeated Paco Boy the only time they met in last season's BGC Sussex Stakes at Goodwood.

Speaking on At The Races, assistant trainer Richard Hannon Jnr said: "The [Queen Anne] is the plan and it's looking like the race of the week. Hopefully they all turn up and it will be a great race and Paco will win by six wickets.

"Paco will have to run to his best to win but he's definitely improved, however Goldikova will be very hard to beat and is a champion."

Paco Boy also holds an entry in the Golden Jubilee at Royal Ascot but Hannon jnr confirmed he is an unlikely starter in the 6f contest.

"There's still a very small chance we will have a look at that race but he's more likely to run in the Queen Anne and that will be thebest for everybody.
Report gsus June 7, 2010 10:22 PM BST
i think RVW is getting prepped for the eclipse.
Report Michrich June 8, 2010 10:14 AM BST
Isn't there a stat that no filly has ever won the Queen Anne?
Report sintonian June 8, 2010 11:28 AM BST
SHOWERS are set to hit Ascot this week but the rain clouds are expected to clear in time for the royal meeting next Tuesday.

Rain is forecast every day up to the weekend but the wet weather will then give way to a high pressure pattern, which will bring with it dry and sunny weather that is expected to be well dug-in by the time the meeting starts.

And the predicted rain means that Ascot clerk of the course Chris Stickels has kept the taps firmly closed for the time being.

He said on Monday: “We have a mixture of going right now from good to positively firm. It’s been very hot and dry here so some rain would certainly help us.

“We put a spot of water on last week but we are not watering now as it looks like we could get some significant rainfall – perhaps 20mm.

“It then looks like the next week should be quite settled and predominantly dry.”

A Met Office spokesman agreed: “This week rain is on the cards at times. It won’t be days on end but there will be sunshine and showers and Berkshire will see a fair amount of rainfall.

“Heading into the weekend high pressure will build and by the time we get to Tuesday it will be dry with a fair amount of sunshine.”
Report hippie June 8, 2010 11:43 AM BST

You might be right but that stat is a little misleading. Since the Queen Anne was raised to group 1 status in 2003 (and the minimum age raised to 4) Soviet Song and Darjina have both run the winner to a neck.

Goldikova is the best mare the race has ever fielded so that stat is in jeopardy. Would Miesque have won it? Probably but it was a group 2 in 1988 so her connections wouldn't have been interested in running.

Report platinni June 8, 2010 12:07 PM BST
yep, a bs stat if ever
Report enjbenjy June 8, 2010 12:40 PM BST
I think the safest play is ti lay Paco Boy. I don't believe the form of his last win showed he has improved at all.
Report Snipster June 8, 2010 1:16 PM BST
Are the 5-day entries for Day 1 out tomorrow or thursday?
Report mythical prince June 8, 2010 1:18 PM BST
as stated in another thread, i think the way paco boy travels if he ground is quick he's a great back to lay in running
Report amaru June 8, 2010 1:59 PM BST
Snipster     08 Jun 10 13:16 
Are the 5-day entries for Day 1 out tomorrow or thursday?

Tomorrow.
Report Snipster June 8, 2010 2:42 PM BST
thanks amaru
Report Albion Dan June 8, 2010 4:21 PM BST
What price do people think goldikova will go off, i dont know whether to take the 7/4 now as she seems to be shortening every day.
Report sintonian June 8, 2010 4:25 PM BST
Strange as I aint sure she'd appreciate all this rain either ??

RVW looks the one to beat in those circumstances imo.
Report amaru June 8, 2010 4:38 PM BST
Been wondering the same myself Albion, tempted to take the 7/4 now but I think if the front three turn up on the day then she wont be any shorter than what she is now.  The big problem is if Paco Boy is re-routed but even then you would expect the presence of Rip Van Winkle in the race would hold her price up.

Cant see any problem on the ground front for Goldikova to be honest Sint, she's run on good to soft, soft and heavy and seemingly run up to form on most of those occasions.

Rip Van Winkle hasnt encountered easy ground in the past so its a bit of guesswork with him. Being by Galileo you wouldnt expect it to be a problem tho and he did have a half brother win in Italy a couple of weeks ago on heavy.
Report sintonian June 8, 2010 4:42 PM BST
PACO BOY will only contest the Golden Jubilee Stakes in the event of soft ground at Ascot next week as connections insisted they “won't duck” a clash with champion mare Goldikova.

Derek Lucie-Smith, who heads the Calvera Partnership which owns the Richard Hannon-trained Paco Boy, said Britain's leading older miler was 80 per cent certain to run in the Queen Anne Stakes, in which he could also face Rip Van Winkle.

“We are 80 per cent certain to run in the Queen Anne,” he said. “It's only if there was a lot of rain. There is rain forecast for the next few days but it's all dry next week. We wouldn't want a slog in soft ground at Ascot, but I just don't think it's going to happen because it drains well."

Goldikova's trainer Freddie Head says the French champion is in the form of her life in the build-up to her clash with Lockinge Stakes winner Paco Boy, who finished third behind her in the 2008 Prix du Moulin before he was subsequently disqualified over a banned substance.

Paco Boy's only start at 6f last season resulted in a fourth place in the July Cup behind Fleeting Spirit.

“We are really looking forward to doing battle with Goldikova,” Lucie-Smith added. “I want to race her again because last time we were beaten a length and a half. I know she has improved enormously but we have as well.

“I think Rip Van Winkle will have to be terribly good to win first time out. I believe we weren't at our best at Goodwood [in the Sussex Stakes] because we came back very sore after that race, that's why we gave him all that time off.

“We really want to go for the Queen Anne. We won't duck it because of the opposition. We'll only duck it because of the ground."
Report Charlton2005 June 8, 2010 5:58 PM BST
Michrich Joined: 15 Sep 04
Replies: 63 08 Jun 10 10:14 

It's only a stat when there are 30+ observations.
Report Belmez June 8, 2010 11:40 PM BST
A favourable weather forecast could yet allow last year's French 2000 Guineas winner Silver Frost to appear in the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot.

Trained by Yves de Nicolay, Silver Frost did not appear to get home when looking for a Classic double in the French Derby. He then disappointed on his other start behind Goldikova at Deauville.

Silver Frost returned to the track at Saint-Cloud last month, finishing down the field in a Group Two, but enjoyed a confidence-booster when taking a Longchamp conditions race a week and a half ago.

His Yorkshire-based owner John Cotton has revealed a reason for Silver Frost's form tailing off and is mulling the grey's possible British targets.

"We haven't decided about Ascot yet," said Cotton.

"It will only be two weeks since his previous run at Longchamp and we would prefer him to have had three or four weeks between runs.

"But if it were to rain quite a lot it would be a big temptation to run. We will just have to keep an eye on the weather.

"Otherwise the next option may be at Ascot on July 10 (Summer Mile)."

Reflecting on last season, Cotton continued: "At the end of last year we discovered a piece of bone (in a leg) had chipped off and was touching the tendon.

"This could have affected his performance and he had an operation in Chantilly to remove it.

"He then needed a couple of months' box rest. He was only just coming back on his first run and we were very pleased with his latest victory."

-----

Paco Boy will only contest the Golden Jubilee Stakes in the event of soft ground at Ascot next week as connections insisted they “won't duck” a clash with champion mare Goldikova.

Derek Lucie-Smith, who heads the Calvera Partnership which owns the Richard Hannon-trained Paco Boy, said Britain's leading older miler was 80 per cent certain to run in the Queen Anne Stakes, in which he could also face Rip Van Winkle.

“We are 80 per cent certain to run in the Queen Anne,” he said. “It's only if there was a lot of rain. There is rain forecast for the next few days but it's all dry next week. We wouldn't want a slog in soft ground at Ascot, but I just don't think it's going to happen because it drains well."
Goldikova's trainer Freddie Head says the French champion is in the form of her life in the build-up to her clash with Lockinge Stakes winner Paco Boy, who finished third behind her in the 2008 Prix du Moulin before he was subsequently disqualified over a banned substance.

Paco Boy's only start at 6f last season resulted in a fourth place in the July Cup behind Fleeting Spirit.

“We are really looking forward to doing battle with Goldikova,” Lucie-Smith added. “I want to race her again because last time we were beaten a length and a half. I know she has improved enormously but we have as well.

“I think Rip Van Winkle will have to be terribly good to win first time out. I believe we weren't at our best at Goodwood [in the Sussex Stakes] because we came back very sore after that race, that's why we gave him all that time off.

“We really want to go for the Queen Anne. We won't duck it because of the opposition. We'll only duck it because of the ground."
Report downallstar June 9, 2010 10:11 AM BST
Winkle on course for Queen Anne showdown

BY JON LEES & TONY O'HEHIR 8:41AM 9 JUN 2010

ROYAL ASCOT is set to open with the biggest bang in its centuries-old history after Aidan O'Brien announced his star miler Rip Van Winkle is very much on course for a showdown with Goldikova and Paco Boy in the first race of next week's meeting.

Hot on the heels of recentconfirmation that dual Breeders' Cup Mile heroine Goldikova and last month's easy Lockinge Stakes winner Paco Boy are being aimed at the Queen Anne Stakes came a similarly positive bulletin from Ballydoyle on Rip Van Winkle, whose Coronation Cup winning stablemate Fame And Glory was on Tuesday ruled out of Ascot.

In what would surely rank as a royal meeting curtain-raiser of unparalleled proportions, the Queen Anne looks likely to be the most eagerly awaited race of the fixture, and one that bookmakers are finding hard to judge.

Rip Van Winkle, marginal outsider of the big three with all firms, has not run since flopping in the Breeders' Cup Classic, but prior to his American assignment he had won the Sussex Stakes - in which he conclusively beat Paco Boy - and the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot.

Asked about Rip Van Winkle, O'Brien said: "It's a case of so far so good with him and the plan is to start him off in the Queen Anne."

Last year's French 2,000 Guineas winner Silver Frost will miss the Queen Anne and instead be aimed at Ascot's Group 2 Summer Mile in July.
Report downallstar June 9, 2010 12:56 PM BST
Goldikova   
Paco Boy   
Rip Van Winkle   
Ouqba   
Zacinto   
Dalghar   
Cat Junior   
Dream Eater   
Calming Influence   
Arabian Gleam   
Pipedreamer   
Alexandros
Report Tavaris Jackson June 9, 2010 1:15 PM BST
Fantastic news!
The 2 mile races on the opening day are absolute crackers.
Report Benjy June 9, 2010 1:29 PM BST
No pacemaker?
Report downallstar June 9, 2010 1:31 PM BST
They haven't got a pacemaker that can live with RIP! Cool
Johnny to ride em to sleep again. Devil
Report mythical prince June 9, 2010 1:43 PM BST
when ballydoyle run one horse only, beware.
Report downallstar June 9, 2010 2:08 PM BST
Like in the QEII last year?
RIP doesn't need a pace maker as he'll be leading after 2 furlongs.
Report mythical prince June 9, 2010 2:20 PM BST
what i mean is when they run several like in the derby they prob dont have anything

when they run just one like in the racing post or in the qe2 lump on[;)]
Report downallstar June 9, 2010 2:47 PM BST
ahh Laugh
Report Far From Trouble June 9, 2010 4:05 PM BST
Goldie will be laughing at Rip Van Tinkler as she flies past at the furlong pole
Report Benjy June 9, 2010 4:17 PM BST
I think Paco is going to get to a price that I can't refuse on the day. Blush
Report A_T June 9, 2010 6:08 PM BST
Paco Boy from RVW.
Report Charlton2005 June 9, 2010 8:49 PM BST
laid haradasun and paco last two years + places + places on darjina and cesare + others that placed iirc. going to go a bit smaller on this one this year.
Report Racecaller08 June 9, 2010 9:39 PM BST
Trends for the past 10 years:

Age (Win-Place-Runners)
3yo: 0-0-1
4yo: 8-8-59
5yo: 2-5-26
6yo+: 0    6-18

10 of 10 winners were aged 4 or 5
4yos’ record of 8-8-59 compares well against all horses aged 5+ 2-11-45.

Nine fillies or mares have run in this in the past decade, finishing 087624732 (0-3-9).
6 of the 9 mares were sent off at less than 8/1 (3 were favourite)

Recent/Past Form
9 of 10 winners won over a mile or further (exception had finished 2nd in previous year's St James Palace Stakes)
7 of 10 winners (last 6) had won a Group 1
6 of 7 winners had won a Group 1 since this race became a group 1 in 2003 (exception had won a group 2 and was having first start in a group 1)
9 of 10 winners had had 1 or 2 runs that season (exception had run 3 times)
9 of 10 winners had run in the past 40 days
0 of 10 winners had won at the course before (only 3 winners had run at the previous year's Festival)

Other Races
No winner in the past 10 years has returned to try and retain the title, the last winner to do so was Dean Swift in 1907.
Record of horses who ran in the race the previous season: 72725007472 (0-3-12),
Record of horses who placed in the race the previous season: 2725 (0-2-4)
Lockinge winner (Paco Boy): 417247 (1-1-6)
Bet365 Mile winner (Paco Boy): 7790021 (1-1-7)
Prix d'Ispahan winner (Goldikova): 816 (1-0-3)
Previous season's Celebration Mile winner (Zacinto): 112 (2-1-3)
Previous season's Jersey Stakes winner (Ouqba): 3292 (0-2-4)
6 of 10 winners ran in the Lockinge Stakes last time out, finishing 148264
3 of 10 winners ran in that season's Dubai Duty Free, finishing 088
3 of 10 winners ran in the previous year's St James Palace Stakes, finishing 352
3 of 10 winners ran in the previous year's Sussex Stakes, finishing 323
Record of horses that ran in the Lockinge that season: 6-8-36
Record of horses that did not run in the Lockinge: 4-11-68

Trainers
British trained runners: 7-15-80
Irish trained runners: 2-1-10 (both winners trained by A O’Brien)
French trained runners: 1-3-9
Any other: 0-0-5
Michael Stoute (3-3-10) has a very good record in the race, gaining 3 wins and 3 places from 10 runners though his last winner was back in 2002.
Saeed Bin Suroor (3-0-12) has also won the race 3 times in the past decade, most recently in 2007.
Aidan O’Brien (2-0-8) has trained the winner in 2 of the last 4 years, and had no runner in the race in 2009.
Richard Hannon (1-0-6) saddled Paco Boy to win the race last year.

Draw (excluding 2005 when run at York)
Horses drawn 1 to 3: 4-8-27
Horses drawn 4 to 6: 0-5-27
Horses drawn 7 to 9: 2-3-24
Horses drawn 10 or higher: 3-1-16
4 of the last 5 winners (at Ascot) were drawn 1 to 3.
Horses drawn in bottom 3 stalls: 4-8-27
Horses drawn in middle: 0-6-40
Horses drawn in top 3 stalls: 5-3-27
The last 9 winners at Ascot were drawn in the top or bottom 3 stalls.

Price
9 of 10 winners were priced less than 7/1 and came from the first 4 in the betting.
Not a race to be looking for a big outsider with all but one of the last 10 winners going off at single figure odds, however no favourite has won the race in the last 10 years.
Favourites (0-2-11) have failed to win any of the last 10 runnings and only two have made the places, giving a level stakes profit of 10.00.

Summary:
Based on the trends from the past 10 years you are looking for a horse:
• Aged 4 or 5 (especially 4yos)
• Won over at least a mile
• Won a group 1
• Run in the past 40 days
• Ran in the Lockinge last time out (not necessarily the winner)
• Trained by Michael Stoute, Saeed Bin Suroor or Aidan O’Brien
• Drawn in the top or bottom 3 stalls
• Price less than 7/1 (avoid the favourite)
Report enjbenjy June 9, 2010 10:14 PM BST
I guess Paco is the best trends fit then?
Report RyanWe June 9, 2010 11:07 PM BST
Paco Boy on the drift tonight.. matched at 5.9. Odd, no?
Report Tavaris Jackson June 9, 2010 11:53 PM BST
Any opinions on Dalghar?
Must confess to not having heard of the horse before today!
Apparently broke the 7f track record in Longchamp the other day, not got around to watching the race yet,
Report ben10 June 9, 2010 11:57 PM BST
Looks hugely progressive, related to Dalakhani and Daylami so no wonder. One of them who could be anything imo and can't be taken lightly even though the principles are so good.
Report Tavaris Jackson June 10, 2010 12:16 AM BST
Cheers, just glancing through the form now, certainly seems to be progressive alright.
Beaten last time over a mile probably enough to put me off though, might try watch the races tomorrow.
Report hippie June 10, 2010 12:47 AM BST
Saturday 5th June 2010, Longchamp.
Dalghar (Anabaa)  ran away with the €80,000 Prix du Palais-Royal (Gr3-3yos-1,400m), beating Colonial (Cape Cross) by two and a half lengths. “We had planned to hold him up but he had no choice but to take the lead”,  commented Alain de Royer Dupré. “He was a class above the rest and won easily. We can now think about stepping up in class. He travels well and could run 1,600m. He is entered at Ascot, so we will think about that.” The brother of Dalakhani (Darshaan)  was head and shoulders above the rest of the field, quickly away at the start he took the lead and galloped with ease until Christophe-Patrice Lemaire asked him for an effort. “We eased up coming round the bend, which let him take a breath”, explained his jockey. “Once we came into the straight he picked up the bridle and wanted to go on. He is a good horse who is very powerful and has everything going for him.”

The Aga Khan’s four year won his first Group 3 six months after earning his black type in a Listed on the fibresand at Deauville. Dalghar could run in the Queen Anne Stakes (Gr1) on June 15th at Royal Ascot, despite only 10 days separating the two races.
Salut l’Africain (Ski Chief) put up a very good performance in finishing third one and a half lengths behind Colonial.

Bred by the Aga Khan, Dalghar is a son of Daltawa (Miswaki), second in the Prix Pénélope (Gr3) in 1992. Daltawa is the dam of champions such as Daylami (Doyoun), winner of 7 Group 1s, and the unforgettable Dalakhani (Darshaan), winner of the Jockey Club and the Arc de Triomphe (Grs1) in 2003.
Report downallstar June 10, 2010 10:22 AM BST
I think if i'm going to have a bet in this race it will be Zacinto ew @16s. He is a very good trends pick, and he was far to fresh for his own good lto, and cost himself any chance by playing up and pulling too hard.
He now has the benefit of a run, and has only 1L to find with Rip on their run in the QEII last year.
Of the big trio, I'd go for RIP if I had to, but in what is probably more of a race to savour than bet in, I'll chance a small ew on Zacinto returning to form.

Cheers for the trends as always rc.
Report sj June 10, 2010 10:42 AM BST
good luck with that downallstar,only problem i have with e/w bet in this race is,you are probably throwing away your win part(be hard to see one of the top three not winning it)also if two of the top three run to form you are playing really only to one place.
As said wouldn't put you off(esp at prices) but i really dont think its an each way race(but have been wrong many times before)
GL
Report downallstar June 13, 2010 11:27 AM BST
Goldikova   
Paco Boy   
Rip Van Winkle   
Ouqba   
Zacinto   
Dalghar   
Cat Junior   
Dream Eater   
Calming Influence       
Pipedreamer
Report mythical prince June 13, 2010 12:52 PM BST
i wouldn't be in least bit surprised if zacinto won this. ryan moore is on fire and if he reproduces his qe2 form he's right there with rip van winkle. we know he likes this course which is something you can't say about goldikova
Report liam the lips June 13, 2010 2:10 PM BST
The Ripper 4 me in this event, wouldn't fancy taking anything below 3s tho Grin
Report amaru June 13, 2010 2:14 PM BST
All over the filly here like sh1t on a blanket! Should be odds on imv.
Report ben10 June 13, 2010 2:15 PM BST
The QE2 is on the round course as opposed the Queen Anne on the straight course so I don't think any can point to course form aside from Paco Boy.
Report mythical prince June 13, 2010 2:36 PM BST
disagree. still has some significance.
Report platinni June 14, 2010 3:49 PM BST
4-1 RIP?

too good to be true?
Report downallstar June 14, 2010 4:01 PM BST
The market tomorrow will tell us what we need to know plat, imo.
Am siding with a punt on Zacinto - Stoute's G1 record here in recent years is dire though, and the horse has a lot to prove, but his last run can be ignored.
Report mythical prince June 14, 2010 4:06 PM BST
not concerned about goldikova plat?
Report Deep Impact June 15, 2010 2:41 PM BST
Goldikova Love
Report unclepuncle June 15, 2010 2:42 PM BST
HughesCry
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com