Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Sultan
05 Apr 10 17:05
| Topic/replies: 666 | Blogger: Sultan's blog
Won his last 2 races stays well goes in soft. There are holes in his form and he is old. But he is 66-1 and 50-1 if you back with the bookies paying out first 5. Just too big a price to go unbacked
Pause Switch to Standard View 66-1 Erics Charm too big to ignore
Show More
Report notenough April 5, 2010 6:11 PM BST
wrong way round, and needs McCoy.

Too short at 500s imo
Report trev w April 5, 2010 6:13 PM BST
won LH lto
won the race before without AP
so......
Report notenough April 5, 2010 6:37 PM BST
Connections reckon he is better right handed, he won a veterans race lto..some of his opponents have retired since!..and McCoy is the only man to have won on him left handed.

You go and get stuck in.
Report apieceofcake April 5, 2010 9:25 PM BST
notenough 05 Apr 18:11

wrong way round, and needs McCoy.

Too short at 500s imo

Might not win, but that is a laughable statement imo
Report betilyerded April 5, 2010 9:36 PM BST
That was a mammoth effort at Newbury lto and must have left its mark. He shrugged off challenegers one by one, including Ellerslie George who dont forgot had done the same to a very good bunch of handicappers in the Badger Ales Chase (The Totherone, The Package, Niche Market, Exmoor Ranger etc). He jumped them silly but you dont often see a horse battle and win like that then do it again at Aintree next time. Last year Rambling Minister did the same in the run up and didnt even complete and cant help feeling the same will happen to Erics Charm. No one should dare to dismiss him because of winning a veterans race though. These races are very competitive and are no cakewalk, make no mistake.
Report fuzzy duck April 5, 2010 10:11 PM BST
will be better suited to the betfair chase at sandown , but 66-1 is a good price
Report lordnoise April 5, 2010 10:30 PM BST
His breedings interesting. His sire Nikos is usually associated with quality 2 milers - Master Minded - Cenkos - Nakir but then you notice Encore Un Peu in there who was 2nd in the GN to Rough Quest. Its when you look at the dam that it really looks up. It turns out Eric is a half brother to Monkerhostin (30f winner at Sandown - the old Whitbread) . Remember him this year at 13 running on past Exmoor ranger to win that 25f race at Sandown ? Age and distance are obviously not a problem for this family. The GN fences might be though as when Monkerhostin ran in the GN he got to the Foinavon fence and refused !
Report davidomagnifico April 5, 2010 10:51 PM BST
interesting to note that most of his runs on left handed tracks have coincided with his seasonal reappearance which he doesn't usually do too well on! His record going left handed and not on seasonal reappearance looks more like

Position (RPR)
1 (110)
5 (107)
2 (137)
4 (127)
6 (134)
P
F
P
1(153)

Now to me, that doesn't look like a horse who cannot go left handed. Fair enough 2 races pulling up and falling in another not brilliant but certainly not a horse who cannot go left handed. His stinking performance at Wincanton on this seasons reappearance seems to agree with this view, beaten 68 lengths.You could say he actually rather enjoys going left handed with his impressive 22% strike rate going that way round NOT on seasonal reappearance!

Now, on to the point about the veteran chase being a weak race. Look at the time of the race on the ground and tell me that again! Compare it to other races on the day and you will see it cannot have been a bad race. Carrying 11 stone 10 and completing in 2 and a half seconds faster than standard on good to soft ground is not bad form, in my opinion anyway. He didn't do well last time at Aintree but I'm refusing to dismiss the chances of one who jumps the pond fences so well. I'll assume whoever said 500s looked the right price was having a laugh. Last two races have shown him to be in the best form of his life, again in my opinion.
Report lordnoise April 5, 2010 11:02 PM BST
Like Amberleigh House (the last 12yo winner) even though hes 12 hes still showing signs of improvement. Amberleighs best RPRs in previous 3 years before winning -140-143-154.
Erics 147-152-153.
Report lordnoise April 5, 2010 11:03 PM BST
Rediculous name for a horse though.
Report notenough April 6, 2010 6:25 AM BST
your stats prove nowt....because

The only times he has won lhanded is with McCoy ...once in a novice hurdle at 1/5.

At Newbury, formbook says he jumped right.
Report davidomagnifico April 6, 2010 9:52 AM BST
did you watch the race? what difference do his odds make to his ability to jump lh iyo? will we just ignore that run and rpr rating he achieved? what about last race, still saying a poor race?
Report IanD83 April 6, 2010 12:42 PM BST
I had a few quid on it, feel its got a chance.
Report notenough April 6, 2010 1:16 PM BST
I did watch the race..
and I agree with formbook,he jumped right up the straight (presumably when getting tired)..He is a different horse when McCoy rides....
So ignore his last run, as Hutchinson is now up.

If you ignore his last run,what do you have?
Report Kylzer911 April 6, 2010 1:17 PM BST
I had one of my biggest wins on him that day at Aintree, and i got him in the National lucky dip!

It's destiny, he will win!! :D
Report davidomagnifico April 6, 2010 1:25 PM BST
i'm not really one to ignore runs, we could ignore whatever we like to suit an argument. if we ignore mon mome winning last year and his gold cup run what chance does he have? but that run aside, what do we have. we have a thorough stayer who just put up one of the best runs of his career at Sandown and one who has shown that he can run left handed. i'd say he is better right handed but there is a difference between being suited to right handed tracks and not being able to go left handed. you seem to have convinced yourself he cannot go left handed. your opinion, but i disagree.

far too big a price at 66s.
Report Steeplechasing April 6, 2010 1:44 PM BST
EC is in the best form of his career. He has won twice and finished 2nd once from 11 runs left handed (only 30% of his runs have been left handed)

Anyway, The Grand National course is set out in a triangle with three sharp turns - 90% of the time he will be galloping in a straight line.
Report town moor April 6, 2010 1:58 PM BST
The Grand National course is set out in a triangle with three sharp turns - 90% of the time he will be galloping in a straight line.

Exactly only at canal turn would jumping right cause a major problem. He's a sound jumper who has just won a couple of decent races and is all set to go well at a decent ew price. I only got 75 on here I think so if anyone wants to go 500, I'll have a couple of quid.
Report WorkOnIt April 6, 2010 2:50 PM BST
I've been nibbling away at him for a while now and he's my biggest green.

Far too big to ignore.
Report Night Sight April 6, 2010 3:14 PM BST
Meets all 12 of Valueking's trends,as did Mon Mome last year,so couldn't possibly rule out.
Report duncan idaho April 6, 2010 3:20 PM BST
''He is a different horse when McCoy rides....
So ignore his last run, as Hutchinson is now up.''

4 wins before latest were gained for L Aspel (3) and A Coleman...or are you ignoring them?
Report Derbyshire Racing April 6, 2010 3:27 PM BST
Agree and am on at 66s. Also on Cloudy Lane at 50s and The Package at 16s - expecting all three to give good accounts.
Report nibbledat April 6, 2010 4:41 PM BST
peaked too soon imo
Report WorkOnIt April 6, 2010 4:44 PM BST
That is possible. I think Rambling Minster did the same last year.
Report Steeplechasing April 6, 2010 5:26 PM BST
There's quite a bit of evidence that Wayne Hutchinson is a better jockey than AP
Report proctor strikes April 6, 2010 7:16 PM BST
Oliver Sherwood admits the John Smith's Grand National was not his first choice for Eric's Charm.

"Hand on my heart, if you could guarantee that it would be good to soft at Sandown he would have gone to the Bet365 Gold Cup," the trainer said.

In eight races at Sandown, Eric's Charm has won twice and been second four times. "If the John Smith's Grand National was run at Sandown he'd be near favourite," added Sherwood.

Eric's Charm has enjoyed far more success on right-hand courses like Sandown, but his victory on March 6 at the Blue Square Supporting Greatwood Veterans' Handicap Chase on the anti-clockwise track at Newbury encouraged connections.

"The Newbury win knocked a few doubters, but as A P [McCoy] said afterwards, Newbury is basically two long straights with very easy turns. Aintree is not that much different, although the Canal Turn and Becher's are two left-handed jumps which are going to test him. He's run at Aintree once, in the Topham [2008] when he fell at the sixth. Dominic Elsworth, who rode him that day, thought he jumped a bit steeply.

"Though he does tend to be at the head of affairs in his races, he doesn't have to be a front runner. That would be the last thing we would be worried about. You don't go expecting to win a National - you need luck in running - but after about two miles, if he's still thereabouts we might start getting excited. If he's out there on the second circuit. He will stay and is in the best form of his life.

"Wayne Hutchinson schooled him on Monday and he was delighted with him. He said he was clever and neat. To be honest, we're just living the dream being in the John Smith's Grand National," added Sherwood.
Report Sultan April 6, 2010 10:10 PM BST
Racing and Football Outlook's main tipster has tipped him to win
Report MR JAKE April 6, 2010 10:33 PM BST
yer but he hasnt tipped a national winner since 81 - bob champ[ion
Report bigphatairyarse April 6, 2010 11:52 PM BST
followed you him, took the last 66/1 at hills today

meets all the trends

hoping for a good run

gl to all backers
Report notenough April 7, 2010 6:34 AM BST
There is NO evidence that Hutchinson rides him better that McCoy.....because he has never ridden him.

McCoy is the only man to have won on him left handed.

And its pretty clear that connections dont even fancy him
Report notenough April 11, 2010 10:29 AM BST
Needed McCoy,didnt he??

Sadly I didnt put up 500s!!!
Report Ilnamar April 11, 2010 10:32 AM BST
Yes, all your reasoning as to why Eric'c Charm couldnt win was conclusively proved correct. Definitely one of the shrewdest on here, congratulations.
Report notenough April 11, 2010 10:36 AM BST
Thanks Ilnamar..I think that you are brilliant too.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com