Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
enjbenjy
10 Apr 10 22:15
| Topic/replies: 3,180 | Blogger: enjbenjy's blog
?
Pause Switch to Standard View Has the weight trend been blew out...
Show More
Report penzance April 10, 2010 11:17 PM BST
Gary Wiltshire see to that.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! April 10, 2010 11:25 PM BST
Dawn FRENCH

Agrees

:)
Report pension fund April 10, 2010 11:36 PM BST
No the new stats/trend will be "Nothing carrying more than 11-5 can win".
Report Bullwinkle April 10, 2010 11:42 PM BST
On good ground and with a compressed handicap its clear a reasonable weight can now be carried to success. Id say it might be different in a genuine soft ground National
Report SOULDANCER April 11, 2010 7:09 AM BST
You'd have to say yes it has. Won't stop me trading solely on ones with OR 148 or under,though.
Report cryoftruth April 11, 2010 8:02 AM BST
I am not a fan of these "trends" at all. I saw Craig Thake had to state in his column yesterday that the French bred trend had had to be ruled out as it had become unreliable or words to that effect. If you spot or read a trend like the one about no more than 12lbs higher than the lowest weight ot no more carried that 11 stones 1 lb etc etc, its okay to consider it but sensibly you have to understand why such a trend exists. The sensible stuff above on this thread about how the behaviour of the handicapper has broken the trend is a bit after timing .
My own view is that the best horse at the weights in a particualr race will win most races and that this applies to the National just as much as any race. What is unique about the national though, is the effect tha weight has. An extra 5lbs weight is worth more in distance at the finish in the national than any other horse race. This is because the trip is extreme and because the fences are so big it takes out more energy from a horse.

In the past I am unconvinced that the handicapper has taken this on board at all, with the weights, albeit a bit compressed, still based largely on 3 mile handicap form. The has made weight concession very hard and favoured the lower weighted horses - hence the long terms trend.
Report duncan idaho April 11, 2010 9:20 AM BST
''This is because the trip is extreme and because the fences are so big it takes out more energy from a horse. ''

Carrying weight wasnt a problem in the 70s with Crisp, Red Rum, L'Escargot etc all regularly lumping very big weights round (and it doesnt seem to be a problem in the Eider Chase either, which is a right grueller). The trip was still the same and the fences were even bigger back then. Not sure what changed after that.

I think the compression of the handicap point has been massively overstated, as there was no compression of the handicap yday.....nothing towards the head of the weights (inc DPI and BA) was racing off a lower mark than it would have been in any other race.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com