Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Steeplechasing
09 Apr 10 17:35
| Topic/replies: 820 | Blogger: Steeplechasing's blog
Surely Timeform will now remove their descriptions of 'inconsistent' and 'unreliable' from this horse's summary?

All he has ever really needed to produce his best form is a sound surface.

In 12 runs on good, he's won 7 with two 2nds and two 3rds.

All in all, he's run 27 times, won 13 and placed 7 times.

If that's inconsistent and unreliable, I wish I had a yard full of them.
Pause Switch to Standard View Albertas Run - Come on Timeform
Show More
Report Ibrahima Sonko April 9, 2010 7:10 PM BST
Couldnt believe it when i saw a squiggle next to his name at cheltenham.

They seem to forget that he has been racing in some top,top company and now the connections seem to have found the best way to ride him over a shorter trip.
Report top div April 9, 2010 7:14 PM BST
Yep agree - i've always been dead against him and never given him any credit but his last two victories have been top class and fair play to the horse - give him 2 1/2 miles on a sound surface and he's a very gutsy,reliable and very decent animal.

I'm sure he wont care but i've completely backtracked on my opinion of him - i was wrong,sorry Albertas Run.
Report Ibrahima Sonko April 9, 2010 8:27 PM BST
Friday: Top-rated BURTON PORT WON 9/2 and ALBERTAS RUN WON 8/1

Fair play, they may change their opinion by the looks of it.
Report CVByrne April 9, 2010 8:38 PM BST
My friend who could really do with the money, he had an e/w treble today on General Miller, Burton Port and Albertas Run today, think he got odds in the region of 660/1.

Racing is amazing for some things, this is certainly one of them.
Report bestmate April 9, 2010 8:42 PM BST
agree SC. Hope you were on today
still remember you talking up its chances in the race at Ascot last year
Report Ibrahima Sonko April 9, 2010 8:43 PM BST
Good stuff

I did a similar bet but with Menorah instead of GM, backed GM at cheltenham and today.
Report aka April 9, 2010 9:07 PM BST
I can sympathise with the challenge facing Timeform in providing a meaningful summary of a horse in relatively few words. I do think though that they tend to use descriptions such as 'inconsistent', 'unreliable' and 'ungenuine' rather too freely and to an extent that undermines the usefulness of the descriptions for the reader.

The reference to Albertas Run is a good example. With the ground drying out today and the prospect of a strong gallop over what is possibly an ideal trip for the horse, the pointers for Albertas Run were quite strong and fairly well supported by evidence from his previous runs. If you were prepared to take the risk that he had come out of his Cheltenham run in good shape, today was very much the time to back him.

I would rather see the terms 'unreliable' and 'inconsistent' used more sparingly, to apply to cases where it really is very difficult to discern any pattern in a horse's form, and where there possibly may be some grounds for questioning the attitude of the horse or its physical soundness. To use those terms though as frequently and as indiscriminately as Timeform appears to do, makes the language almost meaningless.
Report Ibrahima Sonko April 9, 2010 9:55 PM BST
I hope you reply on my Burton Port fred CV, it could be like old times....
Report Ballydoyle April 10, 2010 9:01 AM BST
Theres no way Albertas Run is unreliable and surely the squiggle will be removed. I love the thing. Had it at 25s ante for RSA and 33s ante for Ryanair. You get the feeling he is one of AP's favs
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com