Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Pootle Flump
31 Mar 10 23:03
| Topic/replies: 40 | Blogger: Pootle Flump's blog
Can anyone tell me if Abbeybraney is an intended runner for the National? He looked like he had gone lame at Cheltenham with the way he was pulled up there or was I just seeing things?
Show More
Report Wilbertros April 1, 2010 1:43 PM BST
he was defo pulled up - wouldn't mind knowing myself here. Backed him at fancy prices and would have loved to have seen him run well at Cheltenham.
Report The Headmaster April 1, 2010 1:54 PM BST
I've watched it a few times "Pootle Flump" and it does look like the jockey pulls him up becuase he's gone lame, or he thought he'd gone lame. Having been out the back he was definitely making ground when taken out of the race. All rather strange imo....
Report Rod Tidwell April 1, 2010 2:22 PM BST
The strange thing for me was that jockey looked down with a circuit to go and I was about to tear up my ticket then but he continued on the bridle at the back of the field until the top of the hill...either then he went wasnt happy with the horse or the realisation that too much effort was required to catch up set in...certainly the write up in the RP about 'not going well' didn't fit with what I saw
Report howfar April 1, 2010 2:45 PM BST
Prep run for Aintree, didnt want a hard race.will be a gamble next week if he runs 25/1 at best
Report trev w April 1, 2010 2:49 PM BST
i watched this race again the other day...and thought he jumped really bad....but then seemed to be just about to stay on well....when pulled up..interesting to say the least.
Report Pootle Flump April 1, 2010 3:59 PM BST
I am in agreement with your thoughts. He was definitely creeping through beaten horses when the jockey promptly pulled him up. They were worried about the ground being too quick for him at Cheltenham and he drifted alarmingly on the day... He ought to get in now and has a nice weight.
Report Reefer 2001 April 1, 2010 10:55 PM BST
I thought it was pulled up rather hastily last time and he wasn't even asked a question. I'm cynical but it wouldn't have surprised me if he'd been told to pop him round for 2/3rds of the race and pull him up. I can't forget that he went from 9's to 20's before the off also.

The ground looks like being very testing with rain tomorrow for a few hours and then a few mil on Monday/Tuesday.

I watched the race at Hexham and that was a real dour test where he got going late on in awful ground. This horse is a stayer through and through. His previous form makes him look very well in off this mark as he was beaten a neck by Notre Pere at levels a few years back and has been mixing it with Barbers Shop and Weapons Annesty.

Breeding looks ok also as he's clsoely related with King Killone another dour stayer and Roslier connections also stamp stamina.

This yard are a right shrewd bunch and the fact that 66's, first 5, NRNB is still available makes me think he's a NR??

We'll see on Monday but you have nothing to lose taking that price and i'm on big.
Report Pootle Flump April 1, 2010 11:03 PM BST
Don't worry Reefer that is exactly what i've done. Backed him Non runner no bet that is. His jumping wasn't fluent at Cheltenham, but he was given a strange ride in my opinion. He'll probably get pulled out on Monday now...
Report marychain1 April 2, 2010 12:01 AM BST
Im on board as well.
Report Far From Trouble April 2, 2010 12:25 PM BST
I thought he travelled quite well then pulled up pretty quickly. reckon he just went wrong tbh. Interesting for Aintree
Report Meat Loaf April 2, 2010 7:30 PM BST
Remember that he is a novice this season. Lennon is the stables first string
Report Far From Trouble April 2, 2010 7:55 PM BST
Meat, don't mean to sound funny but Abbey has been chasing since October '07, with 9 starts during that time. I wouldn't be worried about him being technically being a novice

Lennon on the other hand has zero chance of staying

hth :p
Report Reefer 2001 April 3, 2010 3:49 PM BST
Nice winner for the stable there at Haydock. Hughes will probably get the ride?
Report kelami April 3, 2010 4:37 PM BST
Royal Rosa the stables main hope, decent each way bet.
Report trev w April 3, 2010 4:38 PM BST
^ yep topped up @150s 5places ....and monster prices on here
Report Far From Trouble April 3, 2010 4:39 PM BST
trev have you backed everything in this race please? ?:|
Report town moor April 3, 2010 4:45 PM BST
I'd have thought the only chance of Royal Rosa getting in would be if they pulled out their other two. Though personally I think abbeybraney has the best chance of the three.
Report Meat Loaf April 3, 2010 4:46 PM BST
townmoor have you lost faith in Lennon??
Report trev w April 3, 2010 4:46 PM BST
fft..nearly...will have by sat'd ;\

royal rosa....was on the big race thread ages ago ;)
Report trev w April 3, 2010 4:48 PM BST
towny abbey has solid form....but jumped poorly lto

read he pulled his stifle out last time....but no idea how bad that is ????
Report Far From Trouble April 3, 2010 4:51 PM BST
what chew backed then? ?:|
Report trev w April 3, 2010 4:55 PM BST
arbou sup
ballyfitz
irish raptor
royal rosa
erics charm
dream alliance

all would be big wins.
Report Far From Trouble April 3, 2010 4:58 PM BST
only the 2 so far - Irish Rap and Don't Push It
will back Abbey on the day, Offshore if he gets in,
Currently mulling over The Package and Can't Buy Time :|
Report trev w April 3, 2010 4:59 PM BST
sorry forgot the package..
£13 @ 131s
Report Far From Trouble April 3, 2010 5:00 PM BST
He's a touch of class, i'm sure he'll stay, right sort of profile barring the age stat, which is putting me off atm :|
Report trev w April 3, 2010 5:02 PM BST
yeah it is a big neg.

but hardly been campainged as a novice....plenty h/cap experience....timmys choice will say alot imo.
Report Far From Trouble April 3, 2010 5:04 PM BST
yep, a pretty decent jumper as well from what i've seen

what you reckon for Cant Buy Time?
Report trev w April 3, 2010 5:05 PM BST
does'nt strike me like he would really see it out....as opposed to some
Report Far From Trouble April 3, 2010 5:09 PM BST
Can see where you're coming from, does look to me to be a bit speedy if i'm honest, does look a little short at 25/1 as well imo ;\
Report town moor April 3, 2010 5:09 PM BST
Meat, I've traded a bet on lennon, but I'd be surprised if he'd settle in this race, and I think he'd be better on good ground. In the other thread I was just pointing out to others who were quick to dismiss him, that he's bred to stay.
Report Meat Loaf April 3, 2010 5:14 PM BST
Ok townmoor. Remember though that by Saturday it might be good ground and the Johnson team are flying.
Report town moor April 3, 2010 5:15 PM BST
In my "stable" I currently have (mainly trades):
Vic venturi,
dream alliance,
ballyfitz,
erics charm,
mr pointment,
nozic,
dooneys gate,
abbeybraney and lennon with a few n/r's.
Report Meat Loaf April 3, 2010 5:19 PM BST
I think Ballyfitz could run a big race for you. i nearly backed it at around 320 on here a few weeks ago and have kicked myself since.
Report town moor April 3, 2010 5:32 PM BST
Yes, just a bit concerned about his jumping as he normally smacks one or two, I've traded him for a free bet at about 70/1. I've just used the dosage angle and gone for those who meet the trends- other than eric's charm who I just thought was too big.
Report town moor April 3, 2010 6:18 PM BST
Stifle injuries explained: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horsecare/1370/63316.html
Report Steeplechasing April 3, 2010 10:10 PM BST
I backed him at Chelt. He has some fair form but doesn't win often (3 from 21). Chelt was his first jumps outing on good ground. I read (after the race, of course!) that HoJo believed he'd need the run and he wasn't exactly ridden with fiery determination having raced wide all the way.

Since coming here from Ireland, his form has many more 'mistake' and 'not fluent' comments than it had in Ireland.

Given Wylie's quote below, if it comes up soft and he gets in, I might have a small saver but all in all, I think he might be a horse with a problem.

09Dec09 Hexham ( 25 Hy ,RPR137 )

I was pleasantly surprised by that. He ran at Newcastle only eleven days ago and I was worried that might have taken too much out of him, but we know now that he jumps and stays and he could be our Grand National horse this season.-Graham Wylie, owner
Report proctor strikes April 5, 2010 8:31 PM BST
Howard Johnson is facing an anxious wait before finalising his John Smith's Grand National team.

Abbeybraney is certain of a run as number 40 in the handicap, but Johnson's main hope Royal Rosa still needs three to come out to get into the race.

With stable jockey Denis O'Regan set to partner the Dessie Hughes-trained Black Apalachi, Johnson could give Ryan Mania a first John Smith's Grand National mount.

"Both the horses are both really well. I took them down to the sea at Redcar this morning and they loved it. I'll be schooling them over Grand National fences at home on Wednesday and I'll decide then about the jockeys," revealed Johnson on Monday.

"Denis couldn't do the weight for my two and I may give Ryan (Mania) his first John Smith's Grand National ride and I've got another good lad in Wilson Renwick.

"The one I really want to run is Royal Rosa and, if it means getting him in, I would have to take Abbeybraney out."
Report Pootle Flump April 6, 2010 5:00 PM BST
My confidence in this horse has dropped significantly. Trainer is about as confident as Eddie the Eagle Edwards was when going for gold in the Ski Jump all those years ago....
Report Reefer 2001 April 6, 2010 7:21 PM BST
Bizarre stuff. Fancies Royal Rosa who is about 20lb wrong! Great news for Abbeybraney backers. Hope he pulls it out now as i'll get my money back.
Report doncaster rover April 6, 2010 7:32 PM BST
no money back on here if thats where you backed him
Report Robard April 7, 2010 11:53 AM BST
Looks like the decision's been made, 200s taken, no money up to back this horse
Report Mikael D'Haguenet April 7, 2010 11:54 AM BST
had a little on him at the 200 available. obviously hojo is threatening to pull him but he'll surely only do that if royal rosa is first reserve.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com