Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
dave170
05 Apr 10 10:26
| Topic/replies: 250 | Blogger: dave170's blog
Hi guys

im considering going over for the arc weekend obviously the racing is fantastic but was just wondering what the facilities are like and the atmosphere etc

Thanks
Pause Switch to Standard View Arc De Triomphe meeting
Show More
Report Try My Best April 5, 2010 11:45 AM BST
Top class course.A fantastic day
Report Haveit April 5, 2010 1:04 PM BST
don't hesitate Dave, a wonderful experience. Reasonable prices, good facilities, enjoy. And I witnessed the spectacular Zarkava.
Report BarryM April 5, 2010 1:08 PM BST
It's good fun. It's slightly lacking in the usual racecourse buzz due to lack of bookmakers, but there are loads of Brits and Irish there to liven it up.

Facilities are far better in france and admission much cheaper, because of the betting rules. Basically, the courses have a monopoly on betting and keep all the profits. Whether you think that's a good thing or not probably depends on why you go racing - you certainly can't make money out of betting in France.
Report sarky April 5, 2010 1:10 PM BST
Best days flat racing in the whole world imo...... Well worth a visit.
Report Me2 April 5, 2010 3:07 PM BST
They're going to knock down the grandstand sometime in the next few years, and redevelop it, so one year 2012 or 2013? it will be held elsewhere. Don't know the details, so I'm having a bit of a guess at which year it will be out of action.
Report secretariat April 5, 2010 3:11 PM BST
2012, Me2. There was chat they are going to hold the race at Ascot that year but it seems a bit improbable...
Report ben10 April 5, 2010 3:22 PM BST
Chantilly?
Report springy April 5, 2010 3:41 PM BST
Re-development starts after 2012 meeting....

FRANCE GALOP has revealed details of the long-mooted redevelopment of Longchamp, which will include an all-weather circuit.

The project, the cost of which is estimated at between €55 million and €75 million (£50m-£68m) will start in 2011 with the selection of an architect. The track will then be closed after the running of the 2012 Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe for 20 months.

One of the grandstands will be demolished and the project will be built around the remaining structure, with the paddock completely redesigned and 40 more boxes added.

An all-weather track will be added, with the hope of increasing race meetings from 30 a year to between 45 and 50. The new facilities would also be used to host conferences and events.

It had originally been planned that France's premier course would closem temporarily in 2008 to allow work to enable the venue to be used as an equestrian centre had Paris been chosen for the 2012 Olympics.

However, the redevelopment of the course was delayed once London was awarded the games.

France Galop board member Henri de Pracomtal, owner of high-class stayer Kasbah Bliss, said: "The new Longchamp will be more functional, comfortable, welcoming and green. It will also remain the international shop window for French
Flat racing."

An alternative venue for the Arc while Longchamp is closed is Chantilly, not only the most picturesque track in France but also state -of-the art after several years of investment.

However, it would be difficult to accommodate 50,000 racegoers at the track, particularly in early October in bad weather.

In 2006 France Galop's Louis Romanet suggested that Ascot could host as an Arc during the closure of Longchamp, but the idea was afforded little credibility in France.
Report ben10 April 5, 2010 3:52 PM BST
An all weather track :_|
Report BarryM April 6, 2010 11:32 AM BST
I went to Chantille to see Celtic Swing and you couldn't move with (I'd guess) 15,000 or so people there. That was a long while ago but they will have to have done something spectacular to host an Arc crowd.

I think it should have a temporary name chance to the "Prix du Windsor Castle".

I must be bored, haven't even watched a flat race for about 5 years and don't plan to start this year.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com