Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
whatthefudge
29 Mar 10 21:28
| Topic/replies: 150 | Blogger: whatthefudge's blog
Interesting preparation for this one. Fits some of the key trends such as won over 3m, right weight/age but not the run in last 50 days and has had less then 4 runs this season. Nevertheless I think the connections were very disappointed that he didnt make the cut last year and are gunning for the national this year. His three runs so far over 25f, 28f and 31f he has showed up fairly well (esp the last race over the "its a knockout" course at chelts) demonstrating that 4m4f would be no problem. Anyone else think he is being laid out for this?
Show More
Report mmg March 29, 2010 10:36 PM BST
broke my heart at Chelts last year when AP destroyed Wichita Lineman - I can't see him handling that half-mile run-in.
Report Pret a Gagner March 30, 2010 12:48 AM BST
Glad I saw this, was thinking the same thing. At the price I'm willing to risk that he runs a blinder for once. What price if he was trained by Nicholls? LOL.
Report dananders March 30, 2010 12:51 AM BST
i would imagine 90 percent of the runners will have been laid out for the race. i dont think maljimar stays
Report thisforumisFINNISH March 30, 2010 12:56 AM BST
for god's sake put a lay in at evens on the day
Report SEAGRAM91 March 30, 2010 1:03 AM BST
I created a thread on this horse a month ago

Agree big price make it a 25/1 shot a lot of people are predicting a lot of rain for the next week which would be of some concern but at the prices I grabbed 65/1 couldnt put people off ew
Report Fistfulofdollars March 30, 2010 3:44 PM BST
Has been laid out for this according to trainer - and specifically missed cheltenham cross country to keep him fresh...was well fancied last year (was 41st in the list and 1 st reserve) after being touched off by W Lineman in the traditional prep race - the W Hill chase. He doesn't fit traditional trends not having won over 3m and extreme stamina needs to be on trust...as will his propensity to make the odd mistake...but good 3rd in cross country over 3m 7f was encouraging last time out and I think is a good o/s at 40s....I expect him along with Seagram to be nearer 25s on the day...
Report top div March 30, 2010 4:14 PM BST
Took some 85+/1 on him a good while ago and feel he'll go well but i'm more than a little worried about his stamina inside the final 1/2 mile or so.

Having said that the price was too big and as he's usually a very strong traveller i should have ample opportunity to 'get out' if i wish.
Report whatthefudge March 30, 2010 4:21 PM BST
Getting my 3s mixed up. hasnt won over 3m+ but has won a G3 race. Agree if he were stabled with a more fashionable trainer you would not get 50s about him
Report skinnyboots March 30, 2010 4:36 PM BST
Would be amazed if he got home, especially in the ground but wouldn't put anyone off a back to lay strategy as he does travel well through his races
Report Fistfulofdollars March 30, 2010 5:05 PM BST
Agreed with the stamina doubts but factored in a generous price...starting to attract interest today and 40s wont be there much longer....I'm not so sure the ground is certain to be testing...drainage and fresh stretch of ground will help keep it on the good side...
Report sintonian March 30, 2010 5:12 PM BST
Is he well handciapped ?
Report Dark Destroyer March 30, 2010 5:56 PM BST
Why not run the poor bugger in the Topham?
Report Pootle Flump March 30, 2010 8:45 PM BST
Very astute trainer and definitely well handicapped. It will not be that testing next week. People get obsessed with the ground, but we are still eleven days away. Yes, we are getting some rain this week, but the course drains quickly and I would be surprised if it doesn't ride perfect come the day.
Can go well fresh and certainly not out of it
Report formstar March 31, 2010 1:57 PM BST
all Maljimar's progress over the past few years has been through racing at Cheltenham. each of the last three times he raced away from there he failed to finish the course. will be pulled up even before stamina becomes an issue? no chance.
Report flyingbolt March 31, 2010 2:21 PM BST
I'd say Nick Williams is one of the most "fashionable" trainers around at the moment.
Report andyd08 March 31, 2010 3:29 PM BST
imo maljimar price accurately reflects stamina doubts and the prospect of it jumping round

seemed to keep on well enough last time (without threatening) at chelt but empties every time it gets to the front at or around 3m

makes serious blunders aplenty an has u/r a couple of times - this will cost it dear around nat course.

2 big doubts for me thus better options avail at similair and better prices
Report dave170 March 31, 2010 3:34 PM BST
I backed it about a month ago after i emailied ATR when he was appearing on the show and asked if Maljimar was being aimed at the national and was he worth a bet at 40/1? And Nick williams said yes to both.
Report Wilbertros March 31, 2010 6:47 PM BST
holding its price on here, might have a bet myself - i respect nick williams, talks alot of sense.
Report pipedreamer March 31, 2010 8:55 PM BST
who used to train him?!!!!!!!
Report Meadow X1 March 31, 2010 11:19 PM BST
I really can't see how maljimar can win (congratulations in advance to those that can and have backed him). A good jumper and usually runs his race but there is no getting away from the fact that he does not seem to stay extreme distances in a fast run race. Added to that the ground looks as though it may well be soft which must also test his doubtful stamina. He may get round but I can't see him troubling the judge.
Report whatthefudge April 1, 2010 9:09 AM BST
Thanks all for your excellent comments. To summaries then

On the plus side - well weighted, trainer confidence, value price.

On the minus side - stamina doubts, jumping doubts

unknown - ground. if its good its a plus if its soft its a minus.

For the record also fancy Razor Royale and Mon Mone. The last one could be something special imo! GL everyone!!
Report Ming_the_Merciless April 1, 2010 9:21 AM BST
Regarding stamina doubts Maljimars sire (Un Desperado) had Philsons Run who came 4th in a National. Inca Trail was 8th among his other runners.
Report Fistfulofdollars April 1, 2010 11:21 AM BST
Good point Ming....I'm not so worried on the stamina issue (though it is a question mark) I'm more concerned whether he'll take to the fences and his propensity to miss out the odd fence. The cross county run (without serious blunder) gives me confidence that he can cope over a long distance with unnusual fences without error. His clear preparation for the race and coming fresh off the back of a good run is a major plus for me - he's been laid out.
Report CROPSICK April 1, 2010 6:22 PM BST
Regarding will he stay,maybe he just wants to hit the front a lot later than he has been doing
Report flyingbolt April 1, 2010 7:21 PM BST
I am at a loss to understand why anyone thinks this will stay. He has shown on numerous occasions that he struggles to stay 3m.
Report bestmate April 4, 2010 3:24 PM BST
drifting. any news
Report one bet steve April 4, 2010 7:09 PM BST
Hes out of a sire Un desperado,who has had two placed horses in recennt years.Nil Desperandum,and Philson Run,so perhaps not a forlorn hope to stay if held onto until late.
Report flyingbolt April 4, 2010 7:15 PM BST
Out of a sire ?
Report one bet steve April 4, 2010 7:25 PM BST
Come on fb dont get picky ,you know what i meant.
Report The Sweaty Sock April 4, 2010 7:49 PM BST
flyingbolt 01 Apr 19:21

I am at a loss to understand why anyone thinks this will stay. He has shown on numerous occasions that he struggles to stay 3m.

Said that about Imperial Commander didn't they? A favourite of mine but I would be very surprised ( and annoyed ) if it stayed the trip too.
Report flyingbolt April 4, 2010 7:52 PM BST
I was one who said that many times about Imperial Commander,Sweaty Sock much as I like the horse.

Don't think I will be wrong about this one though.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com