Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Trevh
15 Apr 21 17:51
| Topic/replies: 1,812 | Blogger: Trevh's blog
Does anyone else have trouble communicating with Betfair now? I can still get through via the VIP email address, but the responses I receive are not from someone who knows what they're talking about anymore. Have the VIP managers been disbanded? I've actually all but given up reporting issues now.

The state of suspensions seems to have gotten worse. Innocent money gets hoovered regularly by suspend operative mistakes, I'm talking every day.

Recently I've noticed in football markets that money is regularly being hoovered after a goal because the suspension is too late, mainly on obscure matches, the most recent of which was yesterday on Al-sadd v Foolad, goal, late suspension and money hoovered like a sitting duck. I have similar examples happening every day, sometimes several times a day.

When this happens so regularly I think the whole integrity of exchange gambling is at risk.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it worth me contacting Betfair as the last time I tried I couldn't get through to anyone who knew what I was talking about.

I believe Betfair now puts far too many matches on the daily list, and whoever is responsible for suspensions during the matches simply cannot cope. I believe it may be an outside group not Betfair themselves.

Any opinions appreciated.
Pause Switch to Standard View Hoovering before suspensions
Show More
Report Trevh April 16, 2021 1:39 PM BST
Spotted two more late suspensions and markets hoovered after the goal since my last post.

Is nobody else interested in discussing it? If you bet in football markets check your P&L daily; it's easy to check when bets are being matched at silly prices just before the market is closed and settled.

Whoever is doing it must be making serious money weekly for almost zero risk. A very profitable strategy but of course bent as can be. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if dodgy suspend operatives exist, who could easily team up with someone and tip them of which obscure matches will have suspensions a few seconds late. Unlikely but a possibility.
Report Gin April 16, 2021 2:46 PM BST
Hi Trevh - good to see some of the old names are still around!

I don't bet on the football so can't comment on what you are witnessing.

RE: contacting Betfair - it seems (from other comments i've seen) that it is difficult to speak to anybody who knows what they are talking about. Most people advise contacting them via Twitter - I think this will get you a quicker response but not necessarily a more knowledegable one.

As far as I am aware, there are still VIP managers about but I haven't spoken to one in ages.

I realise that's not much help but hope you get it sorted. Good luck.
Report Trevh April 17, 2021 3:21 AM BST
Hey Gin, thanks for the reply, yes still around haha, I haven't had a day off from the exchange for 13 years, that is insane when I think about it!

I hardly ever come onto the chat forum anymore, will try to do so more because I like reading some of the topics.

I wonder how everyone from 10 years ago is doing betting wise nowadays, whether the winners are still winning, everyone seems to say it gets harder year on year and I tend to agree.

How is it for yourself?
Report The Management April 17, 2021 8:55 AM BST
Trevh15 Apr 21 17:51Joined: 21 Jul 06 | Topic/replies: 1,811 | Blogger: Trevh's blog
Does anyone else have trouble communicating with Betfair now?

In my kinder moments I like to think that rather than deliberately deploying a customer avoidance strategy - BF have simply diverted their entire diversity quota into Customer Service by employing the "The Pinball Wizard" (a Deaf, Dumb, Blind, Kid) as Head of Customer Communications.

As for Hoovering before suspensions - as you say it's a daily occurrence and surely a massive factor in tumbleweed markets with huge gaps between the back and lay prices. But Betfair seem happy to accommodate courtsiders or people with faster feeds in every sport (so long as they get their 40%, 50% or 60% cut every Wednesday). Not sure about questioning the integrity of the suspend operatives - but realistically every courtsider and fast pics merchant is (indirectly) working for Betfair - so even if there was still somebody you could talk to about it (and even in the unlikely event that they understood you), it's doubtful anything would change.

You could argue it's in their own interest to sort this out because it is detrimental to liquidity (better liquidity = more matched bets = more commission) but that only applies to the original exchange model, when it was P2P,  i.e. when both players were playing on equal (time) terms.

If BF are now one of the players or one of the players is (indirectly) working for BF - It's obviously more profitable to have tumbleweed markets with one of the players (with an advantage over the other) paying 40-60% in charges.
Report Trevh April 17, 2021 1:57 PM BST
Thanks The Management, I agree with all that you say.

I wonder if in football markets on the more obscure matches there are 'courtsiders', what with crowds not allowed, but I guess there is at least some people there watching. Also, it appears some can even beat the suspension by following live score websites, the suspensions are that poor.

If Betfair is making money out of it that helps to explain the crazy amount of matches on the daily in-play list, over 500 matches today alone, that's twice as many as we used to have all week. Many of them tumbleweed.

I don't think I'll bother to contact The Pinball Wizard(!) team, my previous attempts have been frustrating and pointless.
Report Gin April 17, 2021 2:35 PM BST
Hi Trev, Unfortunately the forum died a death a few years ago - such a shame when you look back at the forum in the good old days. I even miss chit chat - that's how bad things have come! Laugh

Am not sure how many people from 10 years ago are left - a few I think but the community has gone.

As for me - am still plodding along thanks- i've always looked upon doing this as something that could finish at any time so am surprised to still be going! Hopefully it will continue for a few more years.............
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com