Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
VardonVoo.
12 Aug 19 17:50
| Topic/replies: 5,476 | Blogger: VardonVoo.'s blog
Many of you have probably had periods of success mixed with long losing runs. You may be sure that you could make a modest living if only you could limit your losing runs or scale up your marginally profitable fool-proof system. In the real world you need a back-up income unless your bank is so large that you can draw off enough to live on AND endure losing runs, whilst still making enough in the long-term to increase your bank. This is a tall order. On the other hand, working a regular full-time job makes it hard to trade a market closely enough to profit, unless you stick to events in the evenings or at weekends, time you might have to share with family.

So what do people commonly do on here to earn part-time income that is flexible enough that you can take time off to follow that important event that spans several days, be it a Test cricket match or a Golf tournament or a reality TV show or some political event, etc, etc.

Most part-time jobs still want regular hours and often want you for evenings and weekends. Rare is the job you can do just on a Monday or Tuesday when the markets normally have less going on.

Then there is work-from-home ideas and self-employed where you are not tied to specific hours (often difficult in practice if any kind of "client" is involved). I guess home-based telesales or tele/chat support is an option, but that would be hard to concentrate on if you had large in-running bets going on, so you'd need to be able to take time-out if you had a large trade going really well or badly and that needed careful nurturing.

So what do you guys all do?

We can't all be successful Ebay traders, proofreaders, translators or freelance web-developers.
Pause Switch to Standard View Ideas for Flexible Ways to Earn Money...
Show More
Report peckerdunne August 13, 2019 10:00 PM BST
Many years ago i did early morning cleaning.
It was 6am to 9am, five days a week.
I did 3 floors with someone else meaning we were getting a rate 50% higher than the hourly one.

That could net you £600 pm, back then,allowing me the rest of the day to study and go racing in the 90s.

I know another punter who worked security 6pm Friday until 6pm Sunday, 48 hours through, grabbing a few hours here and there alternating with colleague. 

So it can be done if you so wish such a lifestyle but it's not a great outlook going forward.

When to give up the day job? ha now let's be honest........

IT CAN'T BE DONE Laugh
Report VardonVoo. August 14, 2019 6:30 AM BST
Yeah I had one of those stay-on-site-for-24/48-hours-at-a-time part-time jobs working for a production company back in the day.
Not ideal for Test matches cos the events were often over a weekend, but it was good to earn the money in one go rather than working the whole week and it meant I could trade financial markets during the week, which went quite well for fairly long periods (albeit punctuated by episodes of blowing myself up).
Report Andriy August 14, 2019 10:10 AM BST
I guess postman could be a decent one, since it'll help to keep you fit as well.
Report DenzilPenberthy August 14, 2019 4:23 PM BST
Would think that if someone needs a job to support any betting venture they don't have the capabilities required in the first place.
Being a postman is a full time job from early morning to early afternoon 5 or 6 days per week you won't be in any proper physical and mental state to do the betting/trading part of your job well and what about the rest of your life food,pleasure etc. seems like a potentially sh!tty existence to me.
Report macarony August 14, 2019 8:50 PM BST
Dilly boys can make good money think there is one or two on chit chat and politics forum also one on here claims to a successful tipster
Report macarony August 14, 2019 8:53 PM BST
The post office has plenty of in door work in the large mechanised offices usually early evening  time
Report second again August 15, 2019 1:43 PM BST
I am retired now ,I had a Hackney licence (owner driver) I could take the week off for Goodwood ect,work long hours when the racing  did not suit.It takes the pressure off It suited my mentality to know that no matter how bad a run I was on I could earn money anytime.I had a wife and 3 children to support so the cost of having a taxi to run was a good insurance policy for me.Scared money never wins so having access to cash easily kept the pressure off me.
Report starship August 15, 2019 5:51 PM BST
getting bet365 accounts for successful punters
Report mouse muldoon August 15, 2019 6:55 PM BST
1. Don hi-vis gilet
2. Do some neo-nazi style rants on YouTube
3. Ask for donations
Report DenzilPenberthy August 15, 2019 6:56 PM BST

Aug 15, 2019 -- 11:51AM, starship wrote:

getting bet365 accounts for successful punters

starship have you tried going down the student route? I imagine it could be awkward but if you have any family or mates who know students you might have a bit of luck convincing them/their mates to open accounts especially if you bung them a few quid.

Report VardonVoo. August 15, 2019 11:31 PM BST
DenzilPenberthy "Would think that if someone needs a job to support any betting venture they don't have the capabilities required in the first place."

I can't see why you think that. Any business venture has a starting capital requirement - either you start small and build it up whilst covering your living expenses by other means, or you borrow/inject massive amounts of cash into the business from day one, but then have to draw those living expenses from the business irrespective of whether it is steadily profitable yet.

second again "It suited my mentality to know that no matter how bad a run I was on I could earn money anytime.I had a wife and 3 children to support so the cost of having a taxi to run was a good insurance policy for me. Scared money never wins so having access to cash easily kept the pressure off me."

That seems like a much more rational approach. Even these superstar pro poker players sell stakes in themselves, sometimes even to each other, to smooth out the variance as well as making money selling books and courses.

A sure-fire way to end up with a small fortune solely from gambling is to start with a large one.
Report cpfc4me August 16, 2019 1:17 AM BST
From 2012, some wisdom on the full-time idea that has aged well:

"For me, it seems there are so many opportunities to trade at nights and weekends that there is no need to give up a full-time job. You may miss a few events, but anything important and you can take the day off, or "work" from home that day. Most jobs have other benefits too, and you shouldn't underestimate the loss of future benefits and earnings, or the challenges of re-entering the full-time world after taking a break.

One of the problems with giving up a career is that it can be very difficult to pick it up again after a break. My background is in IT, so my views on this are biased towards that industry, but a lot can change in a couple of years. In IT, skill sets become obsolete quite rapidly, and whereas the company you are with will (one hopes) re-train you at their expense in new technology, if you are on the outside, the cost of training is not only significant, but it is also hard to get a position when all you have is ‘theoretical’ experience. Even if you are lucky enough to be able to step back onto the ladder, the loss of a couple of years can mean going back to square one in terms of holiday entitlements, profit-sharing awards as well as seniority – since you are now behind others who have not taken a break.

This is not a problem for the unskilled, or for those with a trade of course, where it is much easier to pick up where you left off, but my feeling is that the modern professional trader / gambler is more likely to come from a ‘career’ background than from the unskilled or semi-skilled background. I am sure there are exceptions. If you believe the newspapers, the 1980s London Financial Markets were supposedly full of barely literate financial traders / dealers yanked straight off the street markets in the East End, thrown into the financial markets, and burned out by age 29 incidentally, but my feeling is that for the most part, an aptitude for trading is more likely to be found in someone with career options than not.

Mark talks in his post about the hours we work, and yes, work hours are hours that are not our free time, but there is a big difference between ‘work’ in an office and ‘work’ on an assembly line in a Chinese factory for Apple, for example. The latter really is work, but for many, a twelve hour ‘working’ day (including travel time) is really a lot less than that. Some people even get to write blog posts from their desk, read on their commute, (if they have one – working from home is becoming ever more common, even if not every day), have social chats by the water-cooler or coffee pot, take a lunch hour and breaks, adjust their hours to suit themselves and have access to personal e-mails and Internet while at ‘work’. Getting approved for a mortgage is a lot easier with a ‘proper’ job too, and as you move up the ladder, your income steadily increases too - something that is definitely not assured with betting, and quite possibly the reverse is true.

So I guess it all depends on where you are coming from, and where you want to get to. If I had a 12 hour shift in a Chinese factory, or a ‘job’ that I didn’t enjoy, my views on full-time trading would be a lot different, but the value of investing time in your future is perhaps something only fully appreciated when looking back in life."
Report Coachbuster August 16, 2019 3:34 PM BST
cpfc ... I would say to the contrary  ...someone in a promising career or in a skilled trade would be more likely to concentrate on their work  ,period !  unless they have a gambling addiction .

most middle class or even working class educated gamblers i have known or read about , are terrible  ..they really are clueless to the point  where i  pondered how they ever managed to pass an exam ,any exam !   and i don;'t think theyre in the minority either .

Someone semi skilled , but  with a 'sharp mind'   with no great career prospects is more likely to commit to gambling and make a  go of it (or fail miserably of course ) and also survive the turbulent waters  in better shape mentally .

those who make a go of it  and succeed won't be turned by other employment options unless  money is tight and a part time position may  work just fine .
Report Coachbuster August 16, 2019 3:36 PM BST
If you were a level headed type , you would train or study while you were a pro so as to fall back on something  ... maybe a part time course in plumbing etc .

Better if you're in your 20s of course
Report timbuctooth August 17, 2019 5:49 PM BST
Part time teaching, maybe from home, vv?
Report peckerdunne August 17, 2019 8:00 PM BST
Rent boy? vv Grin
Report Coachbuster August 18, 2019 12:25 PM BST
pizza deliveries,promo work for stores,market research  ...all very part time  10hrs/week ...agencies also on an ad hoc basic  ...one day a week .

if you have traditional male skills and can afford an old house,  buy it and do that up while betting .  Work as you please in your own time  adding to the value of said property  ...  you need  a bank as back up  obviously to live on  in the meantime .
Report starship August 22, 2019 5:35 PM BST
did get a guy off here.
he is on £40 for an account....and 10% of winnings.

so far he has got me ten accounts.
had some nice wins
£12 grand
£10 grand
and £30 grand.
he has used his mates to get the accounts.
they usually last one day
Report mouse muldoon August 23, 2019 5:31 PM BST
Sounds like a good enterprise.
Report starship August 24, 2019 2:45 PM BST
been pro punter for last 20 years.
when things go wrong, i just think how lucky i am not be doing a job i dislike.
paid for my house, got money in bank, so no finaiacial worries, which is the downfall of many a punter
Report peckerdunne August 24, 2019 9:27 PM BST
What to you Starship, horses, in the traditional way, thanks.
Report peckerdunne August 24, 2019 9:28 PM BST
bet
Report peckerdunne August 24, 2019 10:41 PM BST
oh i see you like dogs, can't be just that though, surely.
Report mouse muldoon August 25, 2019 12:29 AM BST
He's got a white pecker.
Report ericster August 25, 2019 8:50 AM BST
I don't see how a person, unless they're REALLY... "in the know", can plan a future based on betting for a living. Too much of a roller-coaster ride imo. Far better, and this is merely an aspiration of mine, would be to have a set amount to trade/bet/whatever with, ride out the highs and the lows, and then, as and when, cream off any surplus gains.
If you should ever find yourself in that enviable position, well good for you, but it really IS, I believe, a long term thing.
That's my view anyway.
Report starship August 25, 2019 7:32 PM BST
i bet greyhounds.
was doing ok at hackney dogs,
was working in a betting shop five days a weeks.
went on a three day week,
so i could go hackney, tues thurs and sat.
was doing ok,
so i went on a no day week,
left work and just started betting dogs.
that was over 20 years ago and i am still doing it
Report ericster August 25, 2019 7:54 PM BST
Nice one starship.
Report peckerdunne August 25, 2019 10:37 PM BST
Starship

Thanks for that, funny enough i did all of above, except John Henwood kept taking my money, so i quit dogs about 20yrs ago.Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com