Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ericster
10 Sep 18 07:29
| Topic/replies: 4,273 | Blogger: ericster's blog
Okay,

I know this doesn't belong here but in the hope of being taken seriously, I would hope that responses to this, if any, would offer some suggestions that might be of some help.

I've got a new  monitor. It's only a cheapo from Argos, and it's been in it's box for over a month. The one I'm using right now is old like me. Has a loose connection and is crackling and popping, also like me. There's no-one to ask for help, I'd happily pay some-one to  it install the new one for me, and there it is. If/when this thing blows I'll be off-line for the foreseeable.
I've studied the instructions and, yeah right.

So there it is.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Please don't extract the waters eh?
Pause Switch to Standard View new pc monitor
Show More
Report JOMO II September 10, 2018 8:56 AM BST
Have you actually tried connecting up the new one and seeing if it works?

I'd do that first. Take the lead ends out of the old monitor and find a suitable repositories for them in the new one. Ignore any installation disk/sh1t that might have come with it.
Report JOMO II September 10, 2018 9:28 AM BST
You could take a picture/draw a rough sketch of the leads as they look going into your old monitor, in case you were worried about taking them out and not getting them back in correctly.
But really it should only be the lead to the mains (so you can ignore that one - the new monitor will obviously have its own lead for that) the main connection to the PC tower (scart lead-type affair) and then possibly sound/mic leads, depending on how your PC is set up. Should be fairly straight forward finding where to stick these into the new monitor. Just exercise a little trial and error otherwise - nothing's going to come to harm with you doing that.
Report Just Checking September 10, 2018 10:00 AM BST
It should be like for like? There are about 3 options of monitor lead these days (4 if you include hdmi),
classic VGA, new bigger digital one, a new cable that looks a bit like HDMI but that is pretty rare (I forget the name), and rarely for a PC, HDMI. They might have them for showing stuff on a TV.

If the old one and new one have the same classic cable most computers have had for years, VGA, just connect it.

Unfortunately some new laptops and small computers are skipping VGA but ..
Report ericster September 10, 2018 2:49 PM BST
Guys,
I really shouldn't have posted this.
I'm not too worried about the leads but there settings with this thing and so it sits.
Might even look at getting a tablet if/when this one goes.
As for me doing it, it isn't going to happen.
Report pablo-fanque September 10, 2018 2:56 PM BST
erircter, if you go to your local computer store or local independent mobile phone shop , explain the situation , ask for a quote, tell them you can only pay them £20-£25 , i'm sure someone will come to your place an install it .

should take no more than 10-15 minutes
Report Latalomne September 10, 2018 3:46 PM BST
Nearly everything is plug and play these days.  Hardly anything actually needs configuring to get it to function....
Report ericster September 10, 2018 4:18 PM BST

Sep 10, 2018 -- 9:46AM, Latalomne wrote:

Nearly everything is plug and play these days.

Report ericster September 10, 2018 4:20 PM BST
I don't know what happened there with the.
This thing DOES have settings and "easy to follow" instructions. Apparently.Scared
I DO wish they wouldn't say that.Blush
Report ericster September 10, 2018 4:21 PM BST
pablo,
they're not so keen on house-visits nowadays.
Report JOMO II September 10, 2018 4:32 PM BST
eric, have you actually plugged it in to the PC then? What happens?
Report ericster September 10, 2018 4:45 PM BST
JOMO,
I just can't go there. The effect of failure would be monumental right now.
I really shouldn't have bought ephing thing.
Just one more gadget that may never see the light of day.
I could just try the new cable in the old monitor I suppose. But how unlikely is that?
Report JOMO II September 10, 2018 5:14 PM BST
Don't be so defeatist eric!
Yes, try the new cable in the old monitor (this is the main one that connects the monitor to your PC, yes?)
But if the new cable's exactly the same as the old one, then why not just plug in the new monitor and see what happens?
If the worst comes to the worst, you can always plug the old one back in and nothing's been lost to your ventures, but you really aren't going to have a whole load of settings (if any!) to go through, if that's what's concerning you...
Report aye robot September 10, 2018 5:15 PM BST
You could post it as a job on task rabbit (or similar). Bound to be some local teenager that wants to earn a tenner.
Report Just Checking September 10, 2018 5:40 PM BST
Don't really understand the fear here. A VGA cable can't be plugged the wrong way, it's D shaped to prevent it.

The serial cable should in the modern world be able to speak to the monitor and work out how big it is etc.

The worst that could happen is no picture if your resolution is too high so you could set the resolution low first, plug it in, then change the resolution to match the best the monitor can do. If it's LCD especially then you get best picture by matching exactly the resolution.

I got a new (old) monitor off ebay and whacked it straight in, changed resolution, no issues.
Report Just Checking September 10, 2018 5:40 PM BST
If it's VGA it's not new technology it's been the same for like .. 30 years or something!
Report ericster September 11, 2018 9:14 AM BST
JC,
even I can do the plug-ins but I just don't get the settings.
If I got it right I wouldn't know.
Okay so suppose I go through the options not really know what they actually mean the I click on "empower", yes empower, it's in there. Then what? It'll lie in a carrier bag somewhere gathering dust.
And yes aye rob,
any ten year old with half a brain could do it.
Maybe I should just walk into a local school and ask for a volunteer.
Oh for the old yellow pages eh?
Talk about easy money.
Report ericster September 11, 2018 9:16 AM BST

Sep 10, 2018 -- 11:40AM, Just Checking wrote:

Don't really understand the fear here. A VGA cable can't be plugged the wrong way, it's D shaped to prevent it.The serial cable should in the modern world be able to speak to the monitor and work out how big it is etc.The worst that could happen is no picture if your resolution is too high so you could set the resolution low first, plug it in, then change the resolution to match the best the monitor can do. If it's LCD especially then you get best picture by matching exactly the resolution.I got a new (old) monitor off ebay and whacked it straight in, changed resolution, no issues.

So what's "resolution"?
I really am that thick.

I could tell you.......... no I won't.
You really cannot imagine the extent of my limitations with this stuff.

Report ericster September 11, 2018 9:17 AM BST
Let it go eh.

Maybe I'll come across a fixer sometime.
Report aye robot September 11, 2018 6:18 PM BST
I was being serious Eric - there's a website called 'Task Rabbit' and this is exactly what it's for. You can post any little odd job on it and people bid to do it. There'll be a whole queue of people wanting to do an easy job like you're suggesting so if you can bear to part with a tenner I'm sure you'll find someone easily.
Report ericster September 12, 2018 4:27 PM BST
robot,
I've never heard of that one.
Worth noting.
Report ericster September 12, 2018 4:31 PM BST
Knowing me, I shall probably put this off until the old monitor packs up altogether and then.... I don't know.

Chuck it all in? I doubt it.

Would be nice to at least look at tablets if only to get shot of the landline and BT costs.

What do tablets cost to run when you're spending a lot of time online? Anybody doing that?
Would be nice to have the independence without the complications.
Report longbridge September 13, 2018 1:10 PM BST
@ericster

depends on your contract - I have a Virgin SIM with unlimited texts and data for £25 pcm, you can probably get cheaper.
Report ericster September 13, 2018 3:20 PM BST
Okay,
thanks longbridge.
Report ericster November 11, 2018 8:57 AM GMT
Well?

I tried, finally, I failed, and so? I don't know. When this one packs up, that will be it for a while. I just DON'T know who ask.Or more importantly, who to trust.
Report ericster November 11, 2018 9:27 AM GMT
This could just be the beginning of the end my internet days. If I GOT a tablet/chromebook,whatever. For someone like me that represents one helluva learning curve. And for what?
Report ericster November 11, 2018 9:28 AM GMT
Fizz crackle 'n' pop.
Report Jack Hacksaw February 12, 2019 4:27 PM GMT
Unless you live on a remote Scottish island, there WILL be an independent computer fix it shop that will be glad to help you out.
Report Dr Crippen February 12, 2019 6:49 PM GMT
This reminds me of when I visited a pals house to pick him up.
His computer was switched on and he had an enormous screen for those days.

But the picture was about 3 x 2 in the middle of the screen.
I said I'll do that for you while I'm here, no he said we haven't got time we're late.

I went back months later and it was still the same. So I fiddled about with it( the screen ) and he entered a different world.
Report ericster March 2, 2019 1:19 PM GMT
Crippen,
I don't know what I shall do when this old monitor finally throws in the towel, if it doesn't burn the house down first.
I really might just call it a day with the internet.
And then, I might just get me one of them thar new fangled phones.
We shall see.

Computer monitors, like me , are out with the dinosaurs now.
Report ericster March 30, 2019 2:03 PM GMT
I'm getting ready to ditch my gear for a tablet/i-pad or something. I need help and don't know where to go.
Any suggestions?
Report Mahoney March 31, 2019 2:36 AM BST
Ericster .. whereabouts are you based ?
Report ericster March 31, 2019 9:14 AM BST
tbh,
I think my gear could use an overhaul. At least I could get my new monitor, if it works, up and running. My keyboard has got little white sticky label on the keys because the letters have worn away. I could replace that. I think my current headache is the router. Will just have to bite the bullet and get somebody in. Without the net I really WOULD be climbing the walls. And right now it seems to be okay.Cry
Report ericster May 24, 2019 4:09 PM BST
Stand back in amazement.

I plugged in my new monitor.
And it's up and running.Surprised

End of thread.
Report Dr Crippen May 26, 2019 7:33 PM BST
Hmm, someone who writes as well as you do and can't set up a computer monitor.
Report ericster May 27, 2019 9:38 AM BST
Crippen,
I don't know about writing well but I did it.

As you all know, I'd been putting it off for a long time. My new monitor had been sitting there for I don't know HOW long, just gathering dust.
And then, my internet went on the blink. I totally lost my connection a while back.
Did all the usual stuff. Replaced cables, got my pc checked out etc. Nothing worked.
All that was left was my router.
I phoned my isp. They sent me a new one and THAT also, just sat there gathering dust.
Can't remember the exact words on the new router pack.
Something along the lines of " read the instructions, carry them out slowly and carefully, switch on and get online."
You can imagine what I thought to that.
Yeah right.
If it was THAT easy why couldn't I do it?
Failure on a plate.
Then, one day, in a fit of pique, I thought RIGHT! F*** YOU.
I'll do it. I'll show you how easy it is.
I 'll FOLLOW your instructions, while I'm at it I'll plug the new monitor in, it can all go wrong together, YOU'LL SEE.  To hull with all of it.
You and your easy peasy.
Just cancel my subscription. Get rid of the landline.
And that'll be that.
Hoping against hope of course, I FOLLOWED those instructions and like I says in my previous post.......

STAND BACK IN AMAZEMENT.

Even now, I can't believe that I actually DID it.

Life eh?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com