Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Barton Bank
01 Dec 16 16:24
| Topic/replies: 9,534 | Blogger: Barton Bank's blog
You acquire a licencse to fish a well-stocked lake. It is packed with fish. The owners of the lake take a percentage of your catch on a daily basis. Then after a while they allow other anglers at the lake to set up automatic trawling systems on every peg and remove some of the fish. After another few years, they decide to increase the percentage take out of your catch if you manage to continue to prosper.
A coupe of years on, the owners of the fishery build another lake. Only they are allowed to fish it and they build a canal between the two lakes with a one way lock directing fish into their own lake whilst not bothering to stock the orginial one. Remind you of anythng?
Pause Switch to Standard View IMAGINE YOU ARE A FISHERMAN ...
Show More
Report s.kenbo December 1, 2016 5:32 PM GMT
Very good, Barton. Grin
Report TheBaron December 1, 2016 6:37 PM GMT
The lesson here is that nothing stays the same, everything in life changes and you either adapt or die.....I speak as one who has been given the last rites.
Report 11kv December 1, 2016 7:06 PM GMT
Do they do day tickets ?
Report Barton Bank December 1, 2016 7:16 PM GMT
Yes, but they will take 5 perecent of your catch insteady of 2 or 3.
Report Owmybrainhurtz December 1, 2016 7:57 PM GMT
No-one else has said it so I will! You've just described the UK fishing industry, and why we were right to vote for Brexit! (And yes, I do realise that your story could have a secondary application - something to do with betting, perhaps!)Wink
Report Barton Bank December 1, 2016 8:02 PM GMT
There is probably an element of the above in many industries/companies tbh.
Report mega88 December 2, 2016 7:26 AM GMT
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchenExcited
Report roache December 3, 2016 9:28 PM GMT
You forgot to add that one day the owners re designed there lake and started fishing in it themselves whereby they always managed to get there bait to the fish first at the front of the queue.
Report Johnny The Guesser December 4, 2016 9:39 AM GMT
The mistake was believing that the good fishing conditions would last forever.
Report Swedebank December 4, 2016 11:49 AM GMT
Very sad, this time of the year used to be the time to catch the biggest ones out there. The only way is to plant new fish in the lake, but the fish mongers are out of them.
Report Coachbuster December 4, 2016 6:18 PM GMT
I'm on here just for the halibut
Report the whizz kids December 4, 2016 7:58 PM GMT
I must say that the Plaice market has been in decline for a while now. WinkLaughWink
Report 11kv December 4, 2016 8:44 PM GMT
Cyber fisherman cleaning up at the mo
Report Swedebank December 5, 2016 10:42 AM GMT
Halibut is great, but when the big ones do show up there are so many fishermen using mechanised equipment to get the bait in from of him so an angler with just one rod doesn´t stand much of a chance. I would pick the big piles of herring that you could munch on every day back in 2008.
Report donny osmond December 5, 2016 11:55 AM GMT
the owners of the lake are using live bait too

sometimes you try to net the live bait only to see it vanish

sometimes you place your bait closer to the middle of the pond
to attract fish more fairly only
for the owner to move their bait to block you
Report Barton Bank December 6, 2016 6:55 PM GMT
The water quality in the lake no longer supports salmon and trout. It is mostly gudgeon and sticklebacks now.
Report zooot December 7, 2016 10:53 AM GMT
And the occasional new schools of fish entering the pond from nearby streams never get a chance to settle in and eat some some food and grow a little - rather they are spotted and preyed upon from day one by a host of sophisticated means.  Those that escape never recommend to anyone going anywhere near that pond again.

And...  the owners ultimate objective is not for happy fishermen to feed their families but for eventually every fish in the lake to end up in their freezer by hook or by crook.
Report Barton Bank December 7, 2016 12:56 PM GMT
Rarely a truer word spoken. You might say the outlook is bleak.
Report Coachbuster December 7, 2016 3:49 PM GMT
any fin is possible
Report TheFear December 7, 2016 4:21 PM GMT
From an in running horses point of view. If they bot the winners until the winners no longer make enough to make it worthwhile, the winner will quit. Who are they going to bot then?

They need people who put up prices and need to treat them fairly.
Report Barton Bank December 7, 2016 4:58 PM GMT
God only knows, The Fear. I don't dare play in running myself because I am not a track player. Occasional bets in running on RUK but volumes are poor so I tend not to bother. In running will effectively meet the end (unless an effort is made to create a level playing field which it won't be) before the pre-race betting completely dies.
Report pxb December 8, 2016 10:06 PM GMT
Ruddy awful, but no point in carping on about it.
Report 11kv December 8, 2016 10:19 PM GMT
Blue fin obvious what's going to happen tuna in running ............
Report Barton Bank December 8, 2016 11:53 PM GMT
The bream will still rise to the top.
Report roache December 10, 2016 9:50 AM GMT
The water quality is gradually deteriorating whereby one day there will be no oxygen left in the water with all the fish dead and no fishermen.
Report TheBaron December 10, 2016 5:01 PM GMT
Lets drain the Swamp!
Report 11kv December 10, 2016 5:46 PM GMT
Tis greed
Report the whizz kids December 10, 2016 6:46 PM GMT
^ha ha. Breon just taken the last big fish out of the pond.
Report Barton Bank December 10, 2016 8:04 PM GMT
Round of applause for that whopper of a photo.
Report roache December 11, 2016 7:32 PM GMT
Great Photo of the Betfair shark
Report Owmybrainhurtz December 11, 2016 11:51 PM GMT
Where's Perch Cassidy and the Sundance Cod when you need them?
Report Coachbuster December 12, 2016 1:28 PM GMT
I've noticed more advertising of late and the site seems to be slightly busier.

There are millions of recreational punters out there still - they haven't gone anywhere - they haven't run out of money !

They like the offers the big name bookies provide - free £50 bets ,BOGS, loyalty bonuses and no  commission  albeit at 5% .

So i was wondering if BF maybe publicised a commission free week for the recs but kept Premium charges as they were (obviously to bring in profit for that week) .

The layers/traders would appreciate this extra business and would  more than compensate . It may also drag in a few newbies . Does commision put folk off ?   especially price sensitive ones .
Report Barton Bank December 12, 2016 8:07 PM GMT
That's an excellent idea. So I wouldn't expect it to happen.
Report TheFear December 14, 2016 10:24 PM GMT
Funny how the FOBTs have never run out of mugs?
Report Swedebank January 13, 2017 6:39 PM GMT
One day i decided to talk a long long walk upstream from the main lake wich i had only heard about. After hours of walking i arrived. Since there was no one around i thought that this lake must be empty. But i had plenty of time so i decided to set up my gear, and all of a sudden there were big halibuts all over the place, more like the size of whales.

I caught as many as i could. This would be enought to feed my family for months i thought. But when i was cleaning the halibuts, all of a sudden the owner of the main lake appeared and he told my that i had caught to much fish. To punish me for this he said he wants 60% of my halibut fillets that i had worked so hard for. So i returned home with only 40% of my catch. Since i lost so much of my gear during the fights with the big halibuts 40% of the fillets was hardly worth the effort i put in. After that i decided to give up fishing.
Report peckerdunne January 25, 2017 12:56 PM GMT
smoked it
Report dunter1 January 26, 2017 8:03 PM GMT
ttt
Report Barton Bank March 4, 2017 3:51 PM GMT
And then one day you turn up with all your gear only to find out there's a barbed wire fence around the lake.
Report roache March 5, 2017 7:27 PM GMT
And upon looking over the barbed wire on a Saturday afternoon you find that all the water has crashed out of the lake with a notice that the engineers are working on it.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com