Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
topkat
11 Dec 09 13:30
| Topic/replies: 140 | Blogger: topkat's blog
like most punters i lose more than i win

if a bookie continues to take bets from a punter who consistently wins more than he loses, then that will threaten the bookie's profits

in order to defend his profits without banning winners, the bookie is likely to reduce the odds he offers

if the bookie reduces the odds he offers, then my returns on my occasional winner will be less making me worse off

therefore until i am a consistent winner i will support consistent winners being banned
Pause Switch to Standard View why i support the bookies banning...
Show More
Report curlywurly December 11, 2009 1:33 PM GMT
are you for real??
Report topkat December 11, 2009 1:39 PM GMT
sure

consistent winners drain funds from the system

ban 'em say i

(or was it the fact that i admit to losing more than i win which you found unrealistic?)
Report The Betfairy December 11, 2009 1:44 PM GMT
consistent winners drain funds from the system

The biggest consistent winners at the bookies are the bookies themselves.
Report Joe Lampton December 11, 2009 1:46 PM GMT
You may lose more than you win, but, like most punters you probably maintain the hope that you may win eventually. By cutting off people who win the bookies destroy this asperation. From a commercial viewpoint I can understand bookies doing it but what sticks with me is the fact that they are far from open about this and it is never callenged in the media.
Report brendanuk1 December 11, 2009 1:47 PM GMT
cooperative is only way forward
Report joshuag December 11, 2009 1:49 PM GMT
This either a wind up or a view from the most negative thinking punter I have come across. Maybe we should ban or hate all successful people if we are not ourselves successful. How very British
Report Eldrick December 11, 2009 2:17 PM GMT
calm down, he's only advocating winners get kicked to the kerb until he himself becomes a winner

i think he has a lot in common with feck myself, just wants the best for him and his family, and who can argue with that wonderful ideal
Report artie December 11, 2009 2:22 PM GMT
Please can I take your bets until you start winning ?
Report 1st time poster December 11, 2009 4:46 PM GMT
josh, you are nearly right but we shud only ban succesful people who become succesful at the expense of others debt collectors,pawnbrokers,loan sharks,cash my gold etc for starters
Report topkat December 11, 2009 5:30 PM GMT
1st time poster: good insight

negative-thinking punter? yes, based on 20 years of losing i'd have to be delusional to think any other way

consistent winners can always take their business to one of the 3 exchanges
Report Moon Light December 11, 2009 6:03 PM GMT
There aren't any punters who consistently win at the bookies.
Report topkat December 11, 2009 8:37 PM GMT
if not why are there so many of them on here moaning about getting banned?
Report ijs December 11, 2009 8:39 PM GMT
wot a complete moron
Report FINE AS FROG HAIR December 11, 2009 8:43 PM GMT
Topkat sounds like a communist to me.
Report Moon Light December 12, 2009 12:17 AM GMT
if not why are there so many of them on here moaning about getting banned?

That's why they can't consistently win at the bookies. :)

I think owner/trainer accounts may be an exception.

The people who complain at getting banned have sometimes just had a couple of winners after years of losing, and some moron decides they have become a threat.
Report getting better December 12, 2009 12:17 PM GMT
Exactly.
There are different types of punters that consistently win: rogues, shrewdies and arbers.
If they are rogues then better to keep the account open and limit the stakes, so as to know what is going on.
To tell for sure whether someone is a shrewdy or just lucky you need to wait for several hundred bets to be reasonably sure.
And as for arbers, if a price is longer than on Betfair, sooner or later someone is going to arb it. If one bans the most quick-fingered, then their place will be taken by the slightly slower arbers. If the price differential is maintained long enough then people who are not usually arbers, will become so.
Report Moon Light December 12, 2009 1:45 PM GMT
An unusually rational response from a bookie. :)
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com