Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Roman.Totale
25 Nov 09 01:38
| Topic/replies: 680 | Blogger: Roman.Totale's blog
I've got a set of data measuring a supremacy of team A over Team B in one column and then the percentage of draws produced so far for each rating in another rating.

I put this into a scatter graph to produce a trendline and equation, however not unexpectedly the plotted data is u-shaped and the trendline was nearly flat.

The figures produced by the trendline didn't produce a realistic draw price. However if I produce two graphs one for Positive supremacy and one for negative supremacy, the trendline and equations for each of them make sense and the draw prices produced probably have some merit.

Are there any obvious flaws in splitting the data thus?
Pause Switch to Standard View Statistical question
Show More
Report Roman.Totale November 25, 2009 1:41 AM GMT
top line should read - in another column.

thanks
Report Knight Rider November 25, 2009 7:24 AM GMT
What I normally do with this sort of thing is just make all the supremacies positive i.e. =SQRT(A1*A1)

Can't see any obvious flaws unless you believe there is a fundamental difference between say a 0.5 goal home fav and a 0.5 goal away fav.
Report Zola's Back Heel November 25, 2009 8:10 AM GMT
Draw=33%
Report Lori November 25, 2009 8:39 AM GMT
Set the trendline to polynomial 2 (or bigger), beware of going too high as it seems to not display enough significant figures to copy the formula and have it still work
Report Roman.Totale November 25, 2009 8:47 AM GMT
Cheers
Report Zola's Back Heel November 25, 2009 8:51 AM GMT
Don't set the polynomial settings higer than the data requires just to get it to fit.
The polynomial should only have the same number of inflexion points as the data you're fitting.
Report loserschaselosers November 25, 2009 9:43 AM GMT
lori - you can change the number of decimal places by changing the format of the displayed equation.
Report Lori November 25, 2009 9:47 AM GMT
I assumed you could losers, but never found how, I can google that now I know you can though, thanks :)
Report loserschaselosers November 25, 2009 12:12 PM GMT
right click on the equation on the chart. format data labels . etc etc
Report Lori November 25, 2009 3:34 PM GMT
Awesome, thanks again.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com