Forums

General Betting

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Cmon the Town
21 Nov 09 15:01
| Topic/replies: 365 | Blogger: Cmon the Town's blog
or sub-title When is a "goal", a goal?

In the To Qualify market under the rules its stated that "In the event of a goal scored the market will be suspended....."

Betfair DO state the at no stage in a penalty shoot out will unmatched bets be cancelled. But I quieried Betfair's helpdesk today. "In a penalty shootout when a player notches up a penalty is the market suspended"?

Answer from Betfair: "no".
Puzzling....... (Ok I know from Betfair they wont suspend unmatched bets in such a penalty shootout)
Now I quiered what's the basis for this? Betfair claim "a 'goal' in a penalty shootout is not a goal"................. He claimed only the overall result of a penalty shootout matters. But, I say surely in the "to qualify" market every score (or miss!) is vital. Suppose you'd laid big a team which had missed its 1st two pens and then the team in a penalty deficit began to come back and notch up score and your big lay bet there - and no "suspend".......

Be warned about this. I maintain that fifth sentence needs amending to state and clearly "While in play, both in 90 minutes and extra time if a goal is cored the market is suspended etc., etc., ....

Until that's done Betfair are going under that this notion of a goal being 'not' a goal.

Over to you Betfair, that sentance in the rules needs amending to make this situation clear.
Pause Switch to Standard View The "To Qualify" market
Show More
Report Five By Five November 21, 2009 3:20 PM GMT
Betfairs helpdesk must get some strange questions asked...
Report Cmon the Town November 21, 2009 7:05 PM GMT
Here's the paragraph I say is contradictory...

"Which team will progress to the next stage of the competition? At kick off at the start of each leg unmatched bets will be cancelled and the market turned in play. All bets apply to both legs. Extra-time/penalty shoot-outs ARE included. The market will be suspended if it appears that a goal has been scored, a penalty will be given, or a red card will be shown. Unmatched bets will be cancelled in the event of a confirmed goal or sending off. Unmatched bets will also be cancelled at the start of any extra time and again at the start of a penalty shootout BUT AT NO POINT AFTER THIS WILL BETFAIR CANCEL UNMATCHED BETS."

Betfair claim the goals in penalty shoot-outs are "not goals." So I wonder (seeing as someone retorts about "strange" qs asked of Betfair). In the event of penaltys are the "penaltys" in penalty shootouts penaltys?

I say that the fifth sentence up above is confusing, the words "in-play during 90 minutes and extra time" need to inserted in that fifth sentence.
Report Five By Five November 21, 2009 7:22 PM GMT
. Unmatched bets will also be cancelled at the start of any extra time and again at the start of a penalty shootout BUT AT NO POINT AFTER THIS WILL BETFAIR CANCEL UNMATCHED BETS."

What is confusing?? it seems crystal clear to me and has been like it for many a year without anyone having issue.
Report Cmon the Town November 22, 2009 7:08 PM GMT
Five by Five, that part of the rules is clear, as you say "crystal clear."
Nothing, nothing there is at fault at all on Betfair's part just there.

I say, read my thread up above, the fifth sentance states that if a goal is scored the market is suspended. Now Betfair (and this is what they are stating, that the goals in penalty shootouts are 'not goals'). I say the fifth sentance is contradicory. Betfair only need to amend that fifth sentance to say "while in-play over 90 minutes + extra time the market will be suspended if a goal is scored etc., etc.,..."

All in all Betfair are reasonably keen to receive feedback etc., after all betting exchange business is fairly new.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com