Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Dragon
27 Sep 23 13:54
| Topic/replies: 48,171 | Blogger: The Dragon's blog
Stuck at home with Covid so could do with something new to watch.

Any ideas?
Pause Switch to Standard View Seen any good films/series lately
Show More
Report werbie May 13, 2024 5:54 PM BST
Nearly finished 1st season of Blue Lights. Pretty entertaining, edgy, with some decent characters Happy
Report duffy May 13, 2024 5:59 PM BST
Yeah, Blue Lights is good, started watching The Responder as it's getting rave reviews and it too is very good, Martin Freeman plays someone who is perpetually at breaking point brilliantly.!!
Report SirNorbertClarke May 13, 2024 6:42 PM BST
The Final - Attack on Wembley

The FA, UEFA, the Local Council and the police all failed to plan for an England final.

After Hillsborough that is a disgrace and I bet no-one got sacked.

The England fans? Chav Nation.
Report s.kenbo May 13, 2024 8:11 PM BST
I looked for the Yuma film this morning. It wasn’t on my app. Will give it a go when it appears. I’m normally on the hate it side of ‘love/hate’ stuff. I’m intrigued enough to give it a go though.
Report SirNorbertClarke May 13, 2024 10:02 PM BST
The Last stop in Yuma County I thought it was a bit thin. Took an age to get going and was predictable
Report madhatter May 14, 2024 8:47 AM BST
Just watched the first three episodes of Red Sky...pretty good as that type of stuff goes.
Very similar to Spooks from 20 years ago, which also starred Richard Armitage.
Report SirNorbertClarke May 14, 2024 11:02 PM BST
Downloaded season 1 of The Larry Sanders Show. Top TV. Available on Apple & Amazon
Report SirNorbertClarke May 17, 2024 11:11 AM BST
99 Docuseries highlighting Manchester United's treble-winning season of '99, told through the legendary players and manager, Alex Ferguson.

Out now on Prime
Report driver2 May 17, 2024 11:55 AM BST
Someone recommended Leverage, a 2009 series that I missed and I'm really enjoying Season 1. If you haven't seen it, it's very entertaining
Report s.kenbo May 17, 2024 5:13 PM BST
Thanks for the shout outs for Kin. The second season was great with Francis Magee playing Bren Kinsella. He stole every scene he was in.
Report SirNorbertClarke May 18, 2024 1:57 PM BST
https://watchpedia.com/uk

search for a show to find out if it is being screened in the UK
Report The Dragon May 18, 2024 2:02 PM BST
think ill give the 99 docu a miss NobbyLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report s.kenbo May 18, 2024 2:54 PM BST
I watched The Last Stop In Yuma County last night. I think I’d give it a six. It is the kind of film I like but wasn’t the best. I did see it to the end which is an achievement in itself though.
Report SirNorbertClarke May 20, 2024 11:28 AM BST
For anyone who likes true crime it looks like 2 good programs on tonight at 9pm;

Imposter: The Man Who Came Back from the Dead
9pm, Channel 4
Strap in for an utterly absurd true-crime story. An eccentric man known locally in Glasgow as Arthur Knight woke up from a Covid coma in 2021 and found himself surrounded by police. US authorities claimed his real identity was Nicholas Rossi who, after several rape charges, faked his own death. This four-parter follows the countless shocking reveals as, over two years in court, he and his English wife, Miranda, continued to insist he was Knight. It also speaks with journalists, legal figures involved and the women Rossi allegedly assaulted. The case led to a judge ruling that he is, in fact, Rossi, and he is now facing charges in the US – but the journey needs to be seen to be believed.

Cold Case Investigators: Solving Britain’s Sex Crimes

9pm, BBC Two
A remarkable new series, which follows major crime unit detectives as they reopen cold cases using new DNA technology. We see some of their successes in catching and convicting perpetrators for crimes as far back as 1983, in what are both monumental and frustrating feats – as shown when one man, who was raped in a park when he was a teenager, doesn’t know how to react to the news.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/may/20/tv-tonight-imposter-cold-cases-investigators-blue-lights
Report driver2 May 20, 2024 11:56 AM BST
Anyone not seen Sex Education? Must watch if you haven't
Report punchestown May 21, 2024 3:26 PM BST
The second season was great with Francis Magee playing Bren Kinsella.

----------------

Up there with the best characters in a TV series,menacing and a streak that that no man should have added into the mix.
Report s.kenbo May 21, 2024 3:32 PM BST
I agree 100%. A real nasty piece of work. An utterly believable performance.
Report s.kenbo May 22, 2024 9:01 AM BST
I’ve been looking forward to watching the Hollywood remake of The Fall Guy. I was surprised to see it was available on the app last night so stuck it on. Fifty minutes later I turned it off. It was nothing like the TV show I fondly remember as a kid. It’s a cheesy mess of a love story. Avoid.
Report The Dragon May 22, 2024 4:09 PM BST
just started to watch the Last Kingdom, son says its really good

into the second episode ...decent start
Report The Dragon May 22, 2024 4:15 PM BST
yes kin is top notch
Report werbie May 22, 2024 6:43 PM BST
May see the Dry 2 tonight, currently on sky movies.

Watched The Dry 1 2020 last night. Decent filmHappy
Report Aspro May 22, 2024 7:01 PM BST
Have now watched the previously recommended 'In Cold Blood' (ITV). Disgraceful what our own governments can do to us... and people wonder why conspiracy theorists exist! - An informative watch.

Also watched Cold Case Investigators: Solving Britain's Sex Crimes - Great stuff! Keep 'em coming.
Report vidou May 22, 2024 7:12 PM BST
Another recommendation here for Cold Case Investigators. 2 episodes both on the iplayer
Report Emitdeb May 27, 2024 3:38 PM BST
Not sure how many Hatton Gardens are out there, feels like I've watched most but this latest one on Netflix with Timothy Spall was very good... 8.. imo.
Report punchestown May 27, 2024 7:27 PM BST
Watched 261 episodes of NYPD Blue,great watch with loads of people who made it later on in movies in an episode or 2,Giancarlo Esposito-Gus Fring,Pedro Pascal,Luis Guzman,Michael Pena and loads more but all looking a good bit younger.
Report madhatter May 28, 2024 5:21 PM BST

May 27, 2024 -- 7:27PM, punchestown wrote:

Watched 261 episodes of NYPD Blue,great watch with loads of people who made it later on in movies in an episode or 2,Giancarlo Esposito-Gus Fring,Pedro Pascal,Luis Guzman,Michael Pena and loads more but all looking a good bit younger.

I am slowly rewatching them all...currently on S7 E15.
Great TV. Grin

Also slowly working my way through all of Home Improvement again...also excellent viewing! Laugh

Report SirNorbertClarke May 28, 2024 6:47 PM BST
Rishi says he is a Yellowstone fan and it has turned him on to country music!!

Don't say you haven't be warned.
Report unitedbiscuits May 28, 2024 7:19 PM BST
If you are a Rolling Stones fan, Catching Fire, the story of Anita Pallenberg is pretty good. Marlon Richards was exec producer and it features a lot of his Mum's home film footage. Miraculously, she survived until 2017. Her voice is taken by Scarlett Johansson.
Report SirNorbertClarke May 28, 2024 11:59 PM BST
Elsbeth You can download it from magnetdl.com or if you pay I believe it's on Apple
Report madhatter May 29, 2024 2:05 PM BST
Watched all 4 episodes of To Good To Be True last night with the missus.

Too Bad To Bother With would have been a better title.
Formulaic, bad acting, no suspense and absolutely no depth to the story...truly awful!
Report SlippyBlue May 29, 2024 4:52 PM BST
Thanks to Sir Norbert for the heads up on "The Man Who Came Back From The Dead."
That was absolutely bonkers and completely absorbing at the same time!

I finally managed to watch "Oppenheimer" from start to finish and it was instantly forgettable and I'm just glad I didn't go to the cinema to see it.
Florence Pugh's perky bod was the best bit Blush
Report SirNorbertClarke May 29, 2024 5:11 PM BST
Slippy Yeah that Nick is completely coco-loco-crazy and his wife was a psycho. I don't think the Yanks will be letting him out soon!
Report duffy May 29, 2024 5:41 PM BST
1883 Sam Elliott's best performance....best thing I've seen in years.

1923...need to watch these, prequels to Yellowstone.
Report SirNorbertClarke May 29, 2024 5:59 PM BST
Both are far superior to Yellowstone imho
Report SirNorbertClarke May 29, 2024 6:04 PM BST
They have commissioned a second 8 part season of 1923 but according to Wikipedia they haven't started filming it yet
Report duffy May 29, 2024 6:15 PM BST
I read that too...hope they get on with it, want to see the hunter bloke get back and save the dayCool
Report duffy May 29, 2024 6:16 PM BST
I was bawling my eyes out at the closing scenes of 1883Laugh
Report SlippyBlue May 29, 2024 6:20 PM BST
Duffy, I completely agree about "1883."

I've watched it from start to finish twice and I will no doubt watch it again later in the year.

It's in my top ten favourite series of all time and is absolutely outstanding in every way.

10/10 job with the thumb.
Report vidou May 29, 2024 6:41 PM BST
Watched first 3 episodes of The Responder and was a nervous wreck by end of No 3.Looking forward (with trepidation) to 4, 5 and 6. Actually very good - solid 8/10. iplayer - 6 episodes
Report barstool May 29, 2024 7:12 PM BST
Can anyone recommend a good book to take on holiday?

Where the Crawdads Sing was very excellent, could do with another fiction novel as good for next week.
Report barstool May 29, 2024 7:14 PM BST
Very excellent?? sorry, excellent will do.
Report driver2 May 30, 2024 2:25 AM BST
Wilbur Smith's earlier books if you haven't read them. When the Lion Feeds, The Sound of Thunder and A Sparrow Feeds was a great trilogy. James Clavell's Shogun, another great read. Michael Connelly's novels featuring Harry Bosch, any John Grisham thrillers...
Report s.kenbo May 30, 2024 6:53 AM BST
My holiday reads are always a Jack Reacher book by Lee Childs, or a stand alone Harlan Coben book. Neither are similar to the Crawdads though.

I remember you mentioning that before, Barstool. It prompted me to watch the film. I’m glad I did, it was good.
Report madhatter May 30, 2024 11:13 AM BST

May 29, 2024 -- 7:12PM, barstool wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good book to take on holiday?Where the Crawdads Sing was very excellent, could do with another fiction novel as good for next week.

I would heartily recommend The Lies Of Lock Lamora by Scott Lynch as a great read barstool, probably my 2nd fav book ever after The Day Of The Triffids.

It's all about a pair of con-artist grifters and set in an Oliver Twist type time/landscape (with a bit of alchemy/magic - but not too much - thrown in).

Would recommend The First Law series of books by Joe Abercrombie. Not a quick read though - a set of three books then a further three set a few years later with some of the characters reappearing. All followed by a book of short stories reflecting other episodes in the lives of the main players from the six books.

Or, knowing you to be a fellow Hatter, you could go for both volumes of 'They Played For David Pleat'...which is also an interesting set of recollections by the players and staff that worked under him in his first spell as LTFC manager from 1978 to 1986.

Report duffy May 30, 2024 5:46 PM BST
barstool 29 May 24 19:12 
Can anyone recommend a good book to take on holiday?

Where the Crawdads Sing was very excellent, could do with another fiction novel as good for next week.

Have you seen the film?  It's very good.
Report barstool May 30, 2024 5:53 PM BST
Thanks on the Thumbs up on those.

Friend has passed on to me "The Dry" by Jane Harper.

Will give it a rating when I get back, leave on the 5th June for a week in The Algarve.

Can we bounce back madhatter?
Report The Dragon May 30, 2024 6:03 PM BST
bury my heart at wounded knee is a must read for everyone- Harper Lee- u will see what the americans are and how they are such a vile nation

it will break your heart

for something lighter try WILT by tom sharpe- hilarious
Report barstool May 30, 2024 7:09 PM BST
I have seen the film duffy.

Not as good as the book imo, maybe it depends which you read/see first.

Will give wounded knee a look Dragon. Thanks.
Report acey deucy May 31, 2024 11:40 AM BST
Madoff The Monster Of Wall Street on Netflix....I watched it the other Day....Do not i repeat do not Miss It.
Report SirNorbertClarke May 31, 2024 12:22 PM BST
The seven best shows to stream this week

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/may/31/becoming-karl-lagerfeld-to-my-son-jeffrey-the-dahmer-family-tapes-the-seven-best-shows-to-stream-this-week
Report The Dragon May 31, 2024 12:37 PM BST
apologies Bury my heart at wounded knee was written by Dee Brown - not Harper Lee
Report The Dragon May 31, 2024 12:42 PM BST
HBO produced a made-for-television film adaptation by the same title of Brown's book for the HBO television network. The film stars Adam Beach, Aidan Quinn, Anna Paquin, and August Schellenberg with a cameo appearance by late actor and former US Senator Fred Thompson as President Grant.

It debuted on the HBO television network on May 27, 2007,[17] and covers roughly the last two chapters of Brown's book, focusing on the narrative of the Lakota tribes leading up to the death of Sitting Bull and the Massacre at Wounded Knee.[18] The film received 17 Primetime Emmy nominations and went on to win six awards, including the category of Outstanding Made For Television Movie.[19] It also garnered nominations for three Golden Globe Awards, two Satellite Awards, and one Screen Actors Guild Award.

I didnt realise that a film had been made based on the book as detailed above
Report Aspro May 31, 2024 2:31 PM BST
For years I've been seeing 'Law Abiding Citizen' (Netflix) available on almost any medium, but it just hasn't grabbed me enough, not helped by the poor overall reviews. Nevertheless, last night I thought I'd give it a go and I quite enjoyed it.
Report The Dragon May 31, 2024 2:48 PM BST
i enjoyed law abiding citizen 7 out of 10
Report duffy May 31, 2024 4:05 PM BST
Didn't like Law abiding citizen myself, Butler is very good though in Machine Gun Preacher which is a true story:

Machine Gun Preacher is a 2011 American biographical action drama film[3] directed by Marc Forster and starring Gerard Butler, Michelle Monaghan, and Michael Shannon. It tells the story of Sam Childers, a former gang biker turned preacher, and his efforts to protect, in collaboration with the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), the children of South Sudan from the atrocities of Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47yl-ySEw3A
Report s.kenbo May 31, 2024 4:33 PM BST
I really enjoyed Law Abiding Citizen. I think it may have been better as a pure revenge film where you’re rooting for him all the way through.
Report sofaking June 1, 2024 4:05 AM BST
Jack Wheelchair? Laugh  No doubt this dude is fishing for a reaction here.
Report sofaking June 1, 2024 4:05 AM BST
Argh, wrong thread. BlushConfused
Report casemoney June 2, 2024 1:14 AM BST
Lover Stalker Killer

Netflix  90 mins

There are some nutters in this world but would take some searching to find one Like this ,you would think Plain

well worth a Watch 8.5/10
Report Aspro June 2, 2024 11:33 AM BST
Started watching Psych (Netflix) last night. It's about a guy who is VERY observant and tries to pull it off that he's a psychic. Turns out to be a poor man's Sherlock. Amusing in places and I'll probably watch another episode or two, but I very much doubt I'll finish the first series.
Report The Dragon June 2, 2024 3:20 PM BST
still ploughing through the last kingdom, nrly dfinished episode 3 . Top series
Report Hayden June 2, 2024 3:37 PM BST
If you like the private eye Marlowe type stuff then SUGAR starring Colin Farrell is a good watch , 8 episodes.
Report driver2 June 2, 2024 4:34 PM BST
Cinderella Man is the Biography of James J Braddock who became World Champion in 1935 against all odds. This is a terrific movie and I'm glad that I found it albeit almost 20 years since it was made. IMDB 8/10
Report s.kenbo June 2, 2024 5:14 PM BST
My missus has watched Sugar, Hayden. She also told me the twist which puts me off watching it.

Cinderella Man was a good film. I’ve seen The Hurricane starring Denzil a few times. Apart from the boxing theme I suppose the similarities end there though!
Report SirNorbertClarke June 5, 2024 6:11 PM BST
Nurse Jackie on Amazon Prime. Excellent
Report The Dragon June 5, 2024 6:15 PM BST
still on the last kingdom  -last series  apparrently there film is after it
Report PorcupineorPineapple June 7, 2024 8:04 AM BST
Wanted to second Vidou's mention of The Responder. Like most crime thrillers there are bits that are a little far-fetched but it was great at building the tension and showing life on the edges. And the performances were ace. If that was Bernard Hill's final time in front of camera then it's a fitting epitaph. He was unbelievably good. And the actors who play Casey and Marco are surely destined for stardom.

Going to start Eric next. Not sure I've seen it mentioned on here.
Report The Dragon June 7, 2024 8:58 AM BST
Thanks will give the Responder ago when and if i ever finish the Last KingdomShocked
Report s.kenbo June 7, 2024 10:12 AM BST
I enjoyed the first season of The Responder. I thought Martin Freeman’s performance and Scouse accent was superb. Will watch the second series soon.
Report vidou June 7, 2024 1:38 PM BST
Re The Responder - just to clarify there are 5 episodes instead of the 6 which I mentioned above. PoP is spot on re the acting - it really is superb
Report The Dragon June 7, 2024 3:45 PM BST
firmly on my to watch listCool
Report Aspro June 7, 2024 3:49 PM BST
I can't bring myself to watch it, but I'm sure I'll bite soon
Report werbie June 8, 2024 4:50 PM BST
Agree with Porcupine about The Responder have to take some of it with a pinch of salt but decent.

Just finished Madoff The Monster Of Wall Street. Unbelievable how he got away with it for so long. America like to go large on many things Crazy

I'm on Episode 8 of 1883 and watching other stuff in between because I don't want it to end.
Report The Dragon June 8, 2024 5:16 PM BST
just finished 5 seasons odf te last kingdom

now watching the film following it seven kings must die

glad when its finished tbh

mrs d has thoroughly enjoyed it
Report David Fishwick Minibus Sales June 8, 2024 5:56 PM BST
#HOLD#

Longmire (NAP)
Justified
Godless
Goliath
Lincoln Lawyer
Homeland
Report The Dragon June 8, 2024 6:20 PM BST
hello David - long time since heard from you on the forum.. trust all good with you
Report werbie June 8, 2024 9:33 PM BST
David Fishwick Minibus Sales Joined: 16 Mar 10
Replies: 2490308 Jun 24 17:56 
#HOLD#

Longmire (NAP)
Justified
Godless
Goliath
Lincoln Lawyer
Homeland

Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton enjoyed that one. Co starring Tania Raymonde Excited
Report David Fishwick Minibus Sales June 9, 2024 10:55 PM BST
yeah, that was excellent werbie - pity they didn't do more

great thanks, TD. hope same with you.

long time since i did a #HOLD#
Report The Dragon June 10, 2024 4:13 PM BST
all good thanks david.

the HOLD days are long gone must be what 15 years ago?
Report sofaking June 10, 2024 4:43 PM BST
Anyone watch Bosch (TV series)?
Report SirNorbertClarke June 10, 2024 6:06 PM BST
A lot of people here watch Bosch!

For me it's one of the best shows on TV
Report sofaking June 10, 2024 6:24 PM BST
Ok, I'll check it out. Cool
Report brentford June 10, 2024 6:24 PM BST
I watched 'Kin' series one which started well but felt in the end dragged on a bit..

will watch series 2 on the basis of so many good reviews..
Report sofaking June 10, 2024 6:25 PM BST

Jun 10, 2024 -- 6:24PM, brentford wrote:

I watched 'Kin' series one which started well but felt in the end dragged on a bit..will watch series 2 on the basis of so many good reviews..

Season 2 is definitely better...

Report werbie June 10, 2024 8:06 PM BST
Bosch decent Happy
Report Emitdeb June 10, 2024 8:41 PM BST
These two true crime videos.. I found intriguing and disturbing about the planet we live on..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62uJfmCMd5E&ab_channel=Law%26CrimeNetwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jbRr2Lmkg&ab_channel=ABQRAW
Report SirNorbertClarke June 11, 2024 9:08 AM BST
Tour de France: Unchained season 2 is now out on Netfix
Report bungalow bill June 11, 2024 10:06 PM BST
Just watched Forgotten Love on Netflix.

It's a Polish film but dubbed, and better dubbed than many.

It is set between the wars and is worth a look.
Report casemoney June 15, 2024 12:05 AM BST
How to Rob a Bank  NETFLIX

The Bank robber  the FBI called Hollywood

I knew of him but still worth a watch
Report driver2 June 15, 2024 4:16 AM BST
Thanks to a couple of mentions here, I thought I'd give Goliath a try. Just finished Series 1 and really enjoyed it.
Report madhatter June 15, 2024 2:38 PM BST
Wife and I tried For Her Sins...managed about 30 mins....wooden and stupid serial!
Report s.kenbo June 15, 2024 3:11 PM BST
I’ve recently finished the first series of New Amsterdam on Netflix. It’s another hospital drama revolving around their new Medical Director who cares more about the patients wellbeing than the hospital making money. I’d call it a nice show suitable for all the family.
Report Aspro June 16, 2024 10:15 AM BST
Every so often I watch a comedy special on Netflix. More often than not I'll stop watching after 10 minutes as most of them really aren't funny at all. A few days ago I tried out one of Dave Chappelle's specials and ended up watching three on the spin. Very funny in places, however; I had to research a few of the things he was saying to understand the joke and one of those was R.Kelly, which led me to watch Surviving R.Kelly on C4. What a sicko this guy really is!

The series is VERY long winded and often repeats itself, but I hung in there (just about) through 6 episodes to get a fully informed picture, which I followed up with a little research to find out what happened after the series was aired (2019), which set the final wheels in motion. Apparently there are two follow-up series, but I don't feel the need to watch them now that I'm caught up. How on earth did he get away with it, in plain sight, for so many years? Only in America.
Report s.kenbo June 16, 2024 11:18 AM BST
R Kelly was a wrong ‘un, that’s for sure.

I’ve never watched Dave Chapelle do stand up. I find all these black comedians go-to  jokes are about is race. I find them lazy and unfunny. Better scripts needed.

Dave Chapelle was in Con Air in the 90’s. A good, fun film imo.
Report Aspro June 16, 2024 12:15 PM BST
He's more into the LGBTQ, with the odd race joke, but very few to be fair. He openly admits he has a phobia with Trans people. His funny trait is where is telling a completely different story and then comically links it to trans people, which you don't see coming half the time. I enjoyed them, but would suggest that if anyone is interested, watch them in order, as a few jokes are linked to earlier shows.
Report SirNorbertClarke June 16, 2024 3:53 PM BST
I recently went to see Count Arthur Strong and have never laughed so much in my life. A complete blizzard of malaprops for an whole hour and a half.

Arthur's version of Firestarter was a killer
Report driver2 June 17, 2024 6:01 AM BST
I watched Hit Man yesterday and enjoyed it. A solid 7/10 for me.
Report driver2 June 20, 2024 2:25 AM BST
Unbelievable, a very good mini series about a teenager who is charged for lying that she was raped.
Report SlippyBlue June 20, 2024 1:45 PM BST
Not really my usual cup of tea but I had a look at "Such Brave Girls" on BBC, a short 6 episodes comedy, out of curiosity.

Well I thought it was very good and found out afterwards it has won two BAFTAS.
It's very crass and rather vulgar, which works for me anyway, and well worthy of checking out.

The two lead actors are Sisters in real life which makes a lot of sense when you watch their dynamics on screen. It's a solid 7.2/10 in my book.
Report Slicer June 20, 2024 1:54 PM BST
Tonight, 6pm Legend Channel 41 Freeview, the best ever of the Mission Impossible television series. Repeated tomorrow 10.00am for those who would prefer to look at the hairstyles of the overpaid prima donnas playing for Ingerland,
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com