Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
scandanavian_haven
30 Nov 20 12:47
| Topic/replies: 15,619 | Blogger: scandanavian_haven's blog
3 game ban incoming
Show More
Report Angoose November 30, 2020 12:58 PM GMT
The Football Association will look into a deleted social media post by Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani which contained a Spanish phrase that is offensive in some contexts.

Cavani sent the message after scoring the injury-time winner in United's 3-2 comeback win at Southampton on Sunday.

It is understood the 32-year-old says he meant the phrase affectionately and that that is how it is used in his native Uruguay.

Once it was pointed out to Cavani how the wording could be interpreted in the UK, he deleted the post.

United are aware of the post and understand Cavani's interpretation of how it was sent.

As of this season, Football Association rules state that any player found guilty of an offence of discrimination will face a minimum three-match suspension.
Report mecca November 30, 2020 1:13 PM GMT
Welcome to The UK
Report betting_masta November 30, 2020 1:18 PM GMT
"it was affectionate!"
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 30, 2020 1:45 PM GMT
A Newcastle player made a racist looking
posting on social media, which he took
down when it was pointed out.

He apologised

He received a warning from the
Premier league.

Let's hope cavani, having removed
the post pdq is also only warned.
Report Angoose November 30, 2020 2:15 PM GMT
That will be the sensible outcome of this.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! November 30, 2020 2:44 PM GMT
Troy Deeney suggests he be left to rot for
much LONGER

Wink
Report scandanavian_haven November 30, 2020 2:53 PM GMT
it's the same word Suarez used, ban most likely.
Report RAPS November 30, 2020 3:20 PM GMT
Marcus Rashford is in a dilemma here.
He could be honest & defend his teammate but imagine the damage that would do to his brand.
UK culture in 2020 is ...I don't even know..
Report thelatarps November 30, 2020 4:11 PM GMT
Well, I have to be careful here...
But what goes around comes around...

I remember the Suarez case back in 2012. There were rumours going around at the time that the n..ito word was not entirely unknown in the man utd dressing room. Chicharito was said to have used it.

The narrative that Suarez was some sort of evil racist who needed to be expelled from the english game seemed to be pushed by Ferguson in particular and david Gill too in all probability.
The fact the disciplinary panel  was loaded with Ferguson acolytes who handed down a rather severe 8 game penalty seemed to be a case of game set and match.

The reality in all probability was this was just a schoolyard argument between two multi millionaires which got out of hand.
The argument that the n..ito word had no racist connection in Suarez home land of Uruguay got short shrift at the time.

Fergus and Gill will not be around to pull their weight at the FA this time around one imagines. And Cavani ought to consider himself fortunate if he gets lumped with the minimum 3 game ban.

I bet there are quite a few in the red half of merseyside who will be wondering to themselves about the supreme irony of a Uruguayan Man Utd player using the same defence as that of Luis Suarez 9 seasons ago..
Didnt fly then. Aint gonna fly now.
Rough justice FA style.
Report Angoose November 30, 2020 4:31 PM GMT
Beware of jumping to conclusions.
Report betting_masta November 30, 2020 5:05 PM GMT
f'ing hell, he was thanking a supporter on social media. entirely different context than saying it to another player on an opposing team in the heat of a game. can we use some common sense here please
Report Angoose November 30, 2020 5:13 PM GMT
Manchester United's Edinson Cavani has apologised for a deleted social media post containing a Spanish phrase that is offensive in some contexts.

The Uruguayan striker sent the message after scoring the injury-time winner in United's 3-2 win at Southampton.

The Football Association is looking into the post.

"It was intended as an affectionate greeting to a friend, thanking him for his congratulations after the game," said the 33-year-old.

"The last thing I wanted to do was cause offence to anyone.

"I am completely opposed to racism and deleted the message as soon as it was explained that it can be interpreted differently. I would like to sincerely apologise for this."

United are aware of the post and understand Cavani's interpretation of how it was sent.

As of this season, Football Association rules state that any player found guilty of an offence of discrimination will face a minimum three-match suspension.

"It is clear to us that there was absolutely no malicious intent behind Edinson's message and he deleted it as soon as he was informed that it could be misconstrued," said a United statement.

"Edinson has issued an apology for any unintentional offence caused. Manchester United and all of our players are fully committed to the fight against racism."
Report Angoose November 30, 2020 5:14 PM GMT

Nov 30, 2020 -- 11:05AM, betting_masta wrote:

f'ing hell, he was thanking a supporter on social media. entirely different context than saying it to another player on an opposing team in the heat of a game. can we use some common sense here please

Sadly, common sense isn't so common Sad
As such, I prefer to use the term good sense.

Report scandanavian_haven November 30, 2020 5:27 PM GMT
John Terry was banned for 4 games for saying abusive racial words though not actually being racist or convicted of, following the same line it's hard for the FA not to ban Cavani for the same thing.
Report thelatarps November 30, 2020 5:37 PM GMT
The point is that Suarez undoubtedly was being abusive but in his mind was not being racist. And I believe him. I think the lack of understanding of the cultural context in the words he used was a fair defence. Just as it is with Cavani.

As others have pointed out you only have to mention a racist word out of context in todays world and you risk censure.

Suarez didnt know that. John Terry didnt know that when denying he used the n word  to abuse anton ferdinand. And now Cavani is in the same boat.

Like it or not, and I dont, Cavani is getting a ban. If he gets off then the FA is going to get all sorts of pelters in the media for lacking racial tolerance..
Its just the way it is.

I happen to believe there is institutional racism negatively affecting peoples lives all other the uk.
THe criminal justice system is  institutionally racist.
HOusing policies are institutionally racist.
Education policies are institutionally racist.
Yet very little is done about this.

Instead the focus on racism is put where it matters least. You cant imagine a more racially harmonious environment than premier league football. To pull up someone like  Cavani, who has only been in this country five minutes, is frankly ridiculous. Its risible, beyond a joke.
But there we are. Welcome to the uk.
Report Charlton2005 November 30, 2020 7:02 PM GMT
I happen to believe there is institutional racism negatively affecting peoples lives all other the uk.
THe criminal justice system is  institutionally racist.
HOusing policies are institutionally racist.
Education policies are institutionally racist.
Yet very little is done about this.

I contend that we are the finest race in the world and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race. Just fancy those parts that are at present inhabited by the most despicable specimens of human beings what an alteration there would be if they were brought under Anglo-Saxon influence, look again at the extra employment a new country added to our dominions gives.
Cecil Rhodes

100% inheritance tax, scrap the monarchy etc. that is the way to deal with the above.
Report moisok November 30, 2020 7:39 PM GMT
Our country has the very best laws supporting ethnic groups
Report moisok November 30, 2020 7:46 PM GMT
I often wonder if they ever consider doing something about the real problems in London ?
Report 1830 November 30, 2020 7:50 PM GMT
moisok • November 30, 2020 7:46 PM GMT
I often wonder if they ever consider doing something about the real problems in London ?

Would that mean deporting half of the population of the said place?
Report mecca November 30, 2020 8:07 PM GMT
Our country has the very best lawns
Report Charlton2005 November 30, 2020 8:11 PM GMT
mecca mocking moisok
Report Angoose November 30, 2020 8:16 PM GMT

Nov 30, 2020 -- 2:07PM, mecca wrote:

Our country has the very best lawns

Which is just as well if the only tennis grand slam on grass is going to be played here Excited

Report betting_masta November 30, 2020 9:06 PM GMT
that should be the end of it. he's apologised, removed the post, explained it. THE F'ING END
Report RAPS December 1, 2020 6:27 PM GMT
Taking disciplinary action against someone using their own language in an affectionate manner shows the world your own intolerance.
Report maleuk01. December 1, 2020 6:42 PM GMT
Raps, that arguement wasnt accepted by Man Utd fans, players or board with Suarez.

Now it's one of their own its different.

Personally i dont see any wrong doing.

Different cultures/countries have different words, phrases etc.

Just accept every one and everyones differences, dont take everything that its meant to be an insult.
Report RAPS December 1, 2020 6:51 PM GMT
Plenty of English words sound racist in other languages.
If foreigners adopted UK standards we should now be worried about getting charged with hate crimes when abroad.
UK has become intolerant.
Report scandanavian_haven December 1, 2020 7:03 PM GMT
What words in English sounds racist in other languages ?
Report RAPS December 1, 2020 7:17 PM GMT
Jipped
Hip hip Hooray
Uppity
Moron
Report RAPS December 1, 2020 7:19 PM GMT
Google it and I'm sure you will find many more.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com