Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
foxy
10 Apr 20 12:03
| Topic/replies: 12,511 | Blogger: foxy's blog
Leeds have confirmed there former player is in hospital with coved 19 Sad
Pause Switch to Standard View Norman hunter
Show More
Report Angoose April 10, 2020 4:39 PM BST
Ex-England defender Norman Hunter is being treated in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus, his former club Leeds United have confirmed.

Hunter, 76, played 726 games in 15 years at Elland Road, won two league titles and played in the 1975 European Cup final defeat by Bayern Munich.

He was also part of Sir Alf Ramsey's England squad for the 1966 World Cup and went on to win 28 caps in total.

"Keep battling Norman, we are all with you," a Leeds statement said.

"We would like to take this opportunity to remind the public and the media to respect the wishes of Norman and his family and to give them the space they need during this difficult time."

Hunter's reputation as a fearsome tackler was borne out by his nickname 'Bites yer legs'.

He formed a strong partnership with Jack Charlton at the back for Leeds, also adding European silverware in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, an FA Cup and a League Cup to his and the club's haul.

Only three Leeds players - Charlton, Billy Bremner and Paul Reaney - have made more appearances for the club.

Hunter also played for Bristol City and Barnsley, and then managed the Tykes along with Rotherham United.+

This bloody virus has no respect for reputations Sad
Report 11kv April 10, 2020 7:02 PM BST
Hope beats the horrible fecking thing.

cmon Norman
Report ribero1 April 10, 2020 9:55 PM BST
Bloody hell,saw him a couple of months ago out with family for sunday lunch,he still looked pretty fit to me so fingers crossed.
Report HGS April 11, 2020 4:59 PM BST
Yes. Get well soon.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- April 11, 2020 5:37 PM BST
get well soon
Report stewarts rise April 11, 2020 6:41 PM BST
Good luck to Norman Hunter, one of the toughest players i've ever seen, wasn't it him and Franny Lee who carried on scraping as they walked off the field after both were sent off in a match.
Always remember the clamour for Hunter to replace Bobby Moore in the World cup to partner his Leeds clubmate Jackie Charlton. Sure he'll be tough enough to fight this off.
Report Angoose April 11, 2020 6:52 PM BST
Billy Bremner was the one fighting with Franny Lee, another tough nut in a team of tough nuts.
Report stewarts rise April 11, 2020 7:03 PM BST
I think Bremner was fighting with Keegan, will have to look on youtube.
Report stewarts rise April 11, 2020 7:05 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALdVum0xEk

That was N Hunter and F Lee!
Report Angoose April 11, 2020 7:30 PM BST
Doesn't your memory play tricks on you Blush
Report foxy April 11, 2020 9:07 PM BST
Definitely hunter lee when franny was playing for derby
Report attitude adjuster April 12, 2020 2:27 PM BST
If you need a laugh watch the youtube clip of Norman v Franny again

Watch Billy Bremner sprint over to get involved at the end ...it's some entrance to the fight

Absolute headbanger Laugh

And some player
Report foxy April 17, 2020 10:51 AM BST
Very sad news this morning [:sad:
Report morpteh mackem April 17, 2020 10:55 AM BST
rip, very sad.
Report sofiakenny April 17, 2020 10:56 AM BST
Sad..rip.bite yer legs Norman Hunter.
Report foxy April 17, 2020 10:58 AM BST
Only last night I was watching a programme on admiral football kits ,Norman appeared on it a few times.
Report morpteh mackem April 17, 2020 10:59 AM BST
where was this programme foxy ?
Report Angoose April 17, 2020 11:02 AM BST
Leeds United great Norman Hunter has died in hospital aged 76 after contracting coronavirus.

The tough-tackling centre-back, nicknamed 'Bites Yer Legs', was a key player in Leeds' most successful era.

He won two league titles during a 14-year first-team career at Elland Road, and was a non-playing member of England's 1966 World Cup-winning squad.

Hunter was admitted to hospital on 10 April after testing positive for coronavirus.

Leeds said Hunter's death leaves "a huge hole" in the family of the club.

"His legacy will never be forgotten and our thoughts are with Norman's family and friends at this very difficult time," the club said in a statement.

More to follow.
Report foxy April 17, 2020 11:04 AM BST
Hello Morpeth

It was called get shirty 1145 itv last night ,it was a interesting programme for those who enjoyed football back in the 70s ,the preceding programme was about Euro 96 also very good.nobby stiles dancing around with the World Cup was on one of them but I can’t remember which one.
Report morpteh mackem April 17, 2020 11:17 AM BST
cheers foxy, will look it up
Report The Leopard April 17, 2020 11:25 AM BST
RIP Norman......from a Leeds fan since 1965.....one more sad consequence of the Pandemic.
Report hello :-) April 17, 2020 11:43 AM BST
sad day for football

iconic player in 70s one of the best from that era and leeds through and through , proper legend from a time it wasnt about money or sponsors it was for the shirt

RIP
Report ribero1 April 17, 2020 11:44 AM BST
Just bumped into a guy I know walking the dog,he told me as was apparently a good friend of his and Norman's wife had kept them informed of Norman's condition and he'd actually improved a bit and taken some nutrition,he had leukaemia which was being controlled and something called Meniere's disease which apparently affects your balance.
Report stewarts rise April 17, 2020 12:06 PM BST
So sad to hear, RIP Norman.
Report The Leopard April 17, 2020 12:17 PM BST
Norman : back row, centre:
Report Lee Ho Fooks April 17, 2020 12:20 PM BST
RIP Norman - from a big Leeds fan since 1963
Report Tiger Tiger April 17, 2020 12:28 PM BST
R.I.P. Bite yer legs.
Report kenny mann April 17, 2020 12:29 PM BST
I can name all the players in that photo, massive Leeds fan circa 64-55 and only missed a dozen or so home games and was at Liverpool that incredible night in 69 when we stood firm for a 0-0 and clinched the championship.

Been checking on line for updates but nothing till this extremely sad news.
Report kenny mann April 17, 2020 12:30 PM BST
64-75 should read
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- April 17, 2020 12:36 PM BST
sad news.

i saw norman hunter play several times at sjp.

thoughts with friends and family.
Report foxy April 17, 2020 12:37 PM BST
Just shows you how good they were kenny I could name them all and I am not a Leeds fan

Norman was the first ever pfa footballer of the year
Report kenny mann April 17, 2020 12:48 PM BST
they were great foxy, apart from that one night when Celtic thoroughly outplayed them in European Cup at Elland Road.
Report The Leopard April 17, 2020 12:49 PM BST
Report geordie1956 April 17, 2020 1:14 PM BST
another great of the 60s-70s goes to play forever with some of his mates
great character & played for the love of his team ... didn't need wads of cash to show what it meant to him
saw him plenty of times at sjp & when the toon played at elland rd
very sad ... RIP fella
Report The Leopard April 17, 2020 1:22 PM BST
1972 FA Cup Final win (against Arsenal , 1 : 0 )
Report onthejim April 17, 2020 1:43 PM BST
Kenny/Foxy. I  too can  name everyone in that photo except for the chap between TC and BB, put me out of my misery!!!
Report ribero1 April 17, 2020 1:46 PM BST
Terry Hibbert.
Report onthejim April 17, 2020 1:50 PM BST
Thanks Ribero 1, I wouldn't have got him , to be honest can't really recall him,  Bates and Belfitt lived in next village to me when i was a youngster.
Report ribero1 April 17, 2020 1:55 PM BST
Yes I remember Mick Bates from that area as we lived in Whitley Bridge.
Report stewarts rise April 17, 2020 1:58 PM BST
Thats Chelseas Cat, peter Bonnetti and Norman bites yer legs Hunter gone within a few days of each other, both generally kept out of the England team by 2 of the all time greats in Banks and Moore.
yoy can see the full 1970 FA cup final replay on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvpVPXf1k4

Great for anyone whose never seen it, what a wonderful full bloodied game it was, you can watch highlights of the 1st match at Wembley before just to get a taste of these 2 fantastic teams.
Report foxy April 17, 2020 2:07 PM BST
Does anybody know where the name bite your legs cam from ?
Report foxy April 17, 2020 2:08 PM BST
Onthrjim his brother played for wolves
Report foxy April 17, 2020 2:09 PM BST
Kenny
Report Lee Ho Fooks April 17, 2020 2:19 PM BST
Foxy, I'm sure that it was on a banner held up at the Cup final & started from there
Report onthejim April 17, 2020 2:21 PM BST
i thought the Wolves player was Kenny Hibbitt, not Hibbert, are they one and the same?
Report foxy April 17, 2020 2:37 PM BST
Spot on lee it was the 72 cup final against arsenal,incredible that somebody makes a banner 48 years ago and today on here on the radio and on the tv people are relating to it.
Report foxy April 17, 2020 2:40 PM BST
Also terry hibbitt
Report foxy April 17, 2020 2:42 PM BST
Kenny and terry brothers kenny still alive
Report Lee Ho Fooks April 17, 2020 2:54 PM BST
As my old Dad would have said of Terry Hibbitt - wouldn't catch a pig in an alley
Report rommel April 17, 2020 3:34 PM BST
werent the hibbitts decent players,thats my mem of them anyway
Report foxy April 17, 2020 3:42 PM BST
I thought they were decent no more than that.
Report The Leopard April 17, 2020 3:55 PM BST
Frannie Lee ( the short armed chimp) misses every punch ...."A" for effort though Laugh
Report The Leopard April 17, 2020 3:58 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZnXgKl70I

Go to 1.50 for punch up
Report rommel April 17, 2020 4:16 PM BST
lovely tribute to Norman on radio4 news just now by Ian Dennis
Report attitude adjuster April 17, 2020 4:17 PM BST
Who's the Derby no6 ?? He takes someone completely out Shocked

RIP Norman  - a genuine legend .
Report geoff m April 17, 2020 4:37 PM BST
off top of me head without looking Dave Mackay.
Report roache April 17, 2020 5:25 PM BST
No 6 probably Colin Todd
Report foxy April 17, 2020 5:34 PM BST
He wasn’t at derby very long Geoff never played in the title winning team ,What number did Bruce rioch play
Report foxy April 17, 2020 5:38 PM BST
Yep Colin Todd was 6
Report Angoose April 17, 2020 5:57 PM BST
Norman Hunter, who has died aged 76, was labelled indelibly by Leeds United fans during the 1972 FA Cup final victory over Arsenal at Wembley.

The slogan on the banner - "Norman Bites Yer Legs" - became synonymous with one of the toughest, most uncompromising defenders of the post-war era.

But this actually did a disservice to a truly outstanding footballer who was known for his steel... but who could also produce silk.

The epitome of Revie's philosophy
Gateshead-born Hunter moved to Elland Road when he was 15, forsaking a career as an electrical fitter. He made his debut in 1962, establishing a formidable central defensive partnership with Jack Charlton and going on to play 726 games in 15 years at the club. Only three men played more matches for Leeds United - Charlton, Billy Bremner and Paul Reaney.

Hunter was a key component of Don Revie's side that won the First Division title in 1968-69 and 1973-74, the FA Cup in 1972, the League Cup in 1968 and the Inter Cities Fairs Cup (the forerunner of the Uefa Cup) in 1968 and 1971.

It was at Elland Road where Hunter wrote his name into legend, a man who epitomised the style and philosophy of Revie's team that won so many plaudits but also attracted fierce criticism for their ruthless, physical approach.

Nothing, however, must detract from the stature of a man who was so highly regarded and respected by his peers that he was named the first winner of the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year award in 1974.

Off the field, Hunter was a smiling, friendly personality. He was hugely popular with all he met, enjoying a long career as an astute analyst and summariser on Leeds games for BBC local radio.

He was also part of a group of hard men who populated the game in the 1960s, along with the likes of Liverpool's "Anfield Iron" Tommy Smith and Chelsea captain Ron "Chopper" Harris.

When he sustained an injury at Leeds, Revie's veteran right-hand man Les Cocker was informed "Hunter has broken a leg". The coach allegedly replied: "Whose is it?"

The "Norman Bites Yer Legs" tag stuck after Brian Clough, later to manage Hunter for an ill-fated 44 days at Leeds, referenced it in his 1972 FA Cup final analysis.

Hunter was as tough as teak, and one of the most enduring images is his full-on fist fight with Derby County's Francis Lee that saw both sent off at the Baseball Ground in November 1975.

But he was also a defender of the highest calibre and was perfectly at home in the top flight, as well as the more nuanced surroundings in Europe.

Revie's Leeds should have actually won more trophies than they did but were dogged by misfortune. One such occasion saw Hunter sent off when his frustration boiled over in the closing seconds of the 1-0 defeat by AC Milan in the 1973 Cup Winners' Cup final.

It came after a series of highly questionable decisions by Greek referee Christos Michas and fans inside the stadium in Thessaloniki threw missiles during Milan's lap of honour in protest.

Michas was later banned for life from refereeing and in 2009 Richard Corbett, then an MEP for Yorkshire and Humber, even lobbied Uefa to have the result reversed.

Leeds felt similarly aggrieved when they lost to Bayern Munich in the European Cup final in Paris two years later, most notably when Peter Lorimer's magnificent volley was ruled out for offside with the score 0-0. Bayern went on to win 2-0.

The England understudy with so much more to give
Hunter was the permanent understudy to England's World Cup-winning captain Bobby Moore, limiting his career to a meagre 28 caps when so many more would have been collected in the modern era. But Moore was immovable in the early years and squad rotation was never considered.

Hunter made his England debut in a friendly win in Spain in December 1965, yet while he was a trusted member of Sir Alf Ramsey's 1966 World Cup squad, he did not play a game.

Only the 11 who played in the 4-2 win over West Germany in the final at Wembley received a medal, although Hunter finally got one after a successful campaign to have them awarded for all members of England's triumphant squad at a Downing Street ceremony in 2009.

Hunter was also in England's squad when they defended their crown in Mexico four years later, making one appearance as an 81st-minute substitute for Martin Peters against West Germany, which they lost 3-2 after extra time.

Sadly for Hunter, his England career is best remembered for an uncharacteristic mistake which led to their failure to qualify for the 1974 World Cup in Germany and Ramsey's subsequent sacking.

Hunter had been picked ahead of Moore, whose form had been indifferent and who had also made an error leading to a goal in England's 2-0 defeat in Poland.

In the return game at Wembley, England needed to win but were being thwarted by Poland goalkeeper Jan Tomaszewski - infamously labelled "a clown" by Clough.

In the second half, Hunter missed the sort of routine tackle he had completed thousands of times, allowing Grzegorz Lato to run clear and set up Jan Domarski for the goal that ultimately stopped England from qualifying.

There is a famous image of the inconsolable Hunter trudging from the Wembley turf, although it was a measure of Moore's personality that he was one of the first to drape an arm around him in an attempt to offer comfort.

Hunter's final England appearance came, fittingly, in Revie's first game as England manager in the 3-0 win over Czechoslovakia in October 1974.

Life after Leeds
Hunter left his beloved Leeds United for Bristol City in a £40,000 deal in October 1976, playing more than 100 games for the Robins in three years before a brief stint at Barnsley.

Hunter succeeded Allan Clarke as Barnsley manager in October 1980 and managed to guide them out of the former Third Division in the 1980-81 season, staying at Oakwell until February 1984.

He also had a spell in charge of Rotherham United and in recent years, Hunter has been contributing his expertise on radio, as well as a successful after-dinner speaker.

Hunter's enduring footballing image may be as the archetypal hard man but those who saw his career in the wider context will attest that he was an outstanding player, one of the finest defenders of his generation and a man who deservedly attained legendary status for his magnificent career at Leeds United.
Report Magic__Daps April 18, 2020 9:21 AM BST
RIP Norman. He was at my club Bristol City but a bit before my time, but my old man said one of the best we had and has legendary status around these parts.
Report loui April 18, 2020 11:39 AM BST
They were talking about tough footballers. Norman epitomised it. Old school player with plenty of ability Rip
Report Jinxy1 April 18, 2020 3:38 PM BST
Would have had 100 England caps if not for a certain Bobby Moore.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com