Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
14 Jul 18 20:07
| Topic/replies: 55,133 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
How it used to be Love

Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report PLACEWISE November 25, 2021 3:54 PM GMT
Looks like wreck it Ralph new appointment
Report HonkyJoe November 25, 2021 3:54 PM GMT
Looks like it's Rangnick for now. Good organiser, and an early pioneer of the Gegenpress. Most of today's top German managers cite him as one of their biggest influences. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with our players.  Still plenty of the season left!
Report duffy November 25, 2021 3:59 PM GMT
and an early pioneer of the Gegenpress

That'll be interesting with our current groupGrin
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! November 25, 2021 3:59 PM GMT
Gingerpress?

Laugh
Report HonkyJoe November 25, 2021 4:03 PM GMT
It may well see off Pogba!!
Report rommel November 25, 2021 4:15 PM GMT
i do hope this is all meeting with saf's approval
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! November 25, 2021 4:18 PM GMT
Whiskeys ALL round

Laugh
Report duffy November 25, 2021 4:38 PM GMT
Notwithstanding the fact I've just done my 50 quid on Poch Grin, if we've got a bloke in that has a style that will frighten the life out of the current shower then that, at least cant be a bad thing....we'll see!!
Report rommel November 25, 2021 4:45 PM GMT
just you lot spare a thought for Ole,he wont have had a moments peace since the announcement,job offers endorsements.....
Report duffy November 25, 2021 4:48 PM GMT
It very much seems that both Klopp and Tuchel are a pair of Rangnick's b1tches.

The natural order of things is already starting to return to normal.Cool
Report rommel November 25, 2021 4:54 PM GMT
haha take that back ya beastie
Report duffy November 25, 2021 4:55 PM GMT
Wink
Report rommel November 25, 2021 5:08 PM GMT
you think this shower of c**** will like the vorsprung,you think poggers will tolerate the dorch?shaw the technik?
Report lurka November 25, 2021 5:13 PM GMT

Nov 25, 2021 -- 9:18AM, LOU MACARIS TARTAN B wrote:

Yep Poch been their new manager for a season or so .............made no difference whatsoever!

You really are some tulip. PSG players have been underperforming for 1.5 years now under 2 different managers, having got to the CL final under the first one the previous year. I thought it was all simply about the players? Just pick the team and send them out every week? I suppose Messi Mbappe etc are not good enough too?

Report rommel November 25, 2021 5:23 PM GMT
listening to johnny giles on otb am,players dont like interims cos they know he'll be gone soon
Report duffy November 25, 2021 5:30 PM GMT
They won't like this bloke much...he'll be making them run aroundLaugh
Report Kardman November 25, 2021 5:31 PM GMT
That might be so normally, but this interim won’t be leaving will he ? He’ll still be there for another 2 years so any players downing tools in the next 6 months can expect their P45’s in the summer.
Report rommel November 25, 2021 5:43 PM GMT
2 years is too long for an interim sounds like yep,but 2 years isnt very permnanet either,these little flowers need stability they need to know the next million is just roling in over the next few weeks
Report elise November 25, 2021 5:43 PM GMT
can i just check please, is tulip is a euphemism for d1ckhead?
Report rommel November 25, 2021 5:54 PM GMT
if youre talking to me i didnae say tulips but flowers means d******* tw*** yep
Report rommel November 25, 2021 5:59 PM GMT
ah my bad lurka above yep
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 25, 2021 6:19 PM GMT
Well Messi and Mbappe weren't any good last night were they son?

Like I said get 'The Great Poch' in yet a couple of seasons down the line .......they're no different!  They win an easy walkover league every year but in The Champions League they don't win it?  I know, how about they pick ANOTHER manager so then they will magically win it with the same players!!! PMSL
Report HonkyJoe November 25, 2021 6:57 PM GMT
I'm not sure anyone can make PSG work. Tuchel couldn't turn them into the #1 side, and yet he seems to be doing pretty well at his latest club.

Too many superstars who know the board will back them over the 'manager'. I appreciate that there's an aspect of that at our club as well, but I imagine RR will get plenty of support from the people upstairs. Pogba might be an issue, but I suspect the club has resigned itself to him leaving in any case, so that's likely one issue done and dusted. Whether or not you think Ronaldo will be a problem probably comes down to whether you think he's still producing it at the top level. (Personally, I'm in the Pro-Ronaldo camp. As long as we treat him primarily as a goal scorer, he's still right at the top. Get the rest of the team humming, and we won't have many problems with Ronaldo!)

Another big problem for PSG is that the players are in a total arse-end of a league. If they can be bothered to play a bit, they'll likely scoop three points. That's not much motivation to be busting a gut week in and week out. When they play 90 minutes against a team who are used to putting in a shift most games most weeks, it tends to find them out.
Report Racingqueen November 25, 2021 8:35 PM GMT
He crucified Luke Shaw a couple of years ago on German TV
Report Racingqueen November 25, 2021 8:42 PM GMT
PSG are a circus.

Neymar supposedly has it in his contract he can take a holiday from games to go to his sisters birthday ffs

With proper management, they could develop as a real proper force in Europe but owners don't have a clue.

They seem infatuated with buying the best attacking players and thinking they can get buy buying castoffs for the other positions
Report PorcupineorPineapple November 25, 2021 8:43 PM GMT
echoes of Van Gaal. Brilliant a decade or so ago and a big influence on the current crop. Big question is if the game has left him behind.
Report HonkyJoe November 25, 2021 9:16 PM GMT
Luke Shaw deserves to be (and should have been) dropped on his current form. But I hope RR looks at how good he was over the course of last year. If he can rediscover that form then he needs to be included. I've seen RR's comments on him, and I know they were from last year. However, it could be that RR might moderate his views somewhat if he looks back over last season.
Report rommel November 25, 2021 9:16 PM GMT
rq.just to echo-the neymar could never end well,that bloated deal fh...
Report HonkyJoe November 25, 2021 9:26 PM GMT
Good question Porcupine. One thing you could say about that is that Van Gaal's preferred playing style was already dead in the grave by the time he took over at our place. In contrast, many of RR's tactics are the same ones being used to great effect by most of today's best English and German sides. But yes, it could be that he'll look to play version 1.0 of his game when other managers have developed and crafted version 2.0, version 3.0 etc.

My concern would be that he hasn't been in charge of many (or indeed any) big clubs. Can he convince the players to buy into his philosophy?  And if he's so good, why hasn't he been snapped up by (at the very least) Bayern, or one of the top English, Spanish, or Italian clubs?

He seems interesting though, so I'll look forwards to seeing whether he can make anything of us. I've always felt we needed a Klopp to make us play at high intensity. Can he be the one???
Report lurka November 25, 2021 9:53 PM GMT
Rangnick is the right type of appointment but more as a DoF than a manager. Despite influencing Klopp and Tuchel, I don't think he's ever been on their level and has been more of a DoF than a manager over the last 10 years. He's a bit old for a job as big as United.

But if he's staying on that will be a good thing as the next manager will likely have a similar style and Pogba will likely be got rid of which is very important for United. Not good news for Ronaldo and he might be a problem for any manager playing high-press but he won't be around too much longer. The likes of Sancho and Bruno should flourish under him. Prob Greenwood and Rashford too.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 25, 2021 10:18 PM GMT
I see Spurs' new manager, the great Conte has started well with them, never had a shot at Everton and now got beat against a side literally nobodies ever heard of!

Perhaps they should change the manager after all it can't be the players fault can it!!
Report rommel November 25, 2021 10:25 PM GMT
lou get some help
Report the_don November 25, 2021 10:43 PM GMT
Not totally sure how this is going to work with Rangnick. Manager/coach until end of season and then what? He's previously said (and shown) that anywhere he goes he needs to have control and influence over several aspects of a club and I just can't see that happening at Utd - the Glazers like their 'yes men'. He's obviously been given some guarantees as to what happens after May but it's all a bit vague really.

On the pitch, his approach is a big contrast to how we've played and the type of players we have. So can't see his methods having time to take effect too quickly. If there's a transition being put in place in May for a younger coach to continue his work then that's fine by me, but will Rangnick have a say in who that is? From what I've heard, with this guy you have to either fully commit to his methods or not bother with him at all.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 26, 2021 2:17 PM GMT
Van der Vaart the ex Spurs player now a pundit talking about Maguire.  It's pretty much exactly what I've been saying since we signed him and have pointed it out on here many times.

Recently, he branded Manchester United defender Harry Maguire "really s***" and says he's still completely stunned by the Englishman's £80 million price-tag.  "Where did [Man United] look for him? You'll find players like him at any amateur club in Holland," van der Vaart said.  "I think it is unbelievable. He is no top-class defender - and he demonstrates this every week. If you go out and sign players like him, I can understand why you end up having financial problems."
Report PorcupineorPineapple November 26, 2021 2:35 PM GMT
what a tool
Report brentford November 27, 2021 5:39 AM GMT
Van der Vaart should probably stick to reading diet plans...

41 England caps suggests you are unlikely to find an equivalent in the Dutch amateur game...
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 27, 2021 6:24 AM GMT
brentford

I'm a United fan obviously so want him to do well of course for my team but you watch the matches, he's been awful hasn't he making mistake after mistake?  I've pointed out many times he's just a tall, good header of the ball but anyone who can go at him will leave him for dead as he's no speed whatsoever.  I don't know who the Brentford CH's are but surely there just as good as Maguire aren't they yet he's the Captain of Manchester United Football Club?
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 27, 2021 6:24 AM GMT
brentford

I'm a United fan obviously so want him to do well of course for my team but you watch the matches, he's been awful hasn't he making mistake after mistake?  I've pointed out many times he's just a tall, good header of the ball but anyone who can go at him will leave him for dead as he's no speed whatsoever.  I don't know who the Brentford CH's are but surely there just as good as Maguire aren't they yet he's the Captain of Manchester United Football Club?
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 27, 2021 6:31 AM GMT
Sorry that posted twice for some reason?
Report rommel November 27, 2021 7:38 AM GMT
maguire has been embarassed so many times...
Report duffy November 28, 2021 5:46 PM GMT
We know that Ronaldo won't fit with Rangnick, so, in a bid to keep his job Carrick is trying to show the new manager that he isn't frightened to leave him out.Grin
Report duffy November 28, 2021 6:26 PM GMT
Lacked quality when we did have the opportunity to attack but on the whole a massive improvement in terms of being hard to beat, more compact, nastier, and more organized.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 28, 2021 6:38 PM GMT
I thought we were awful.  Got away with a very lucky draw having hardly had a shot ourselves and what one corner to their 15?

That said a bit unlucky I think that Wan Baissaka didn't see Silva and took a swing to boot it away but obviously caught him.

Blimey I don't know where to start but yes the defence did hold strong and only conceded to a penalty but going forward we were shocking (specially first half just awful).  Ronaldo came on for half an hour and touched the ball about twice.

Yet the new manager will come in and suddenly Chelsea won't be all over us and we'll have loads of shots will we .......... with those same players?   Not for me.
Report duffy November 28, 2021 6:41 PM GMT
Lou,

Please take it from me, that was a better performanceGrin
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 28, 2021 6:44 PM GMT
duffy

Well we all have our own opinions so fair enough but for me I thought we were very poor, Chelsea far better and United hardly having a touch in the last third of the pitch?  Sorry I just don't agree.
Report duffy November 28, 2021 6:53 PM GMT
You have to judge it relative to the opponent and Chelsea are top notch right now.

If we had faced this Chelsea side in the guise we've been most recently we would have been ripped apart with big open spaces all over the shop. I said that we lacked quality when we did have a chance to attack but we'll worry about that in due course, the first job was to to be compact, organized and committed, all things that should be a given, but for us, haven't been, today they were.

Chelsea had to beat us today if they wanted the points, it wasn't going to be handed to them, they couldn't do it and for their part, the substandard strike force in crucial moments will catch them out, they can't rely on midfielders and wing backs to keep scoring all their goals.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 28, 2021 7:02 PM GMT
Yes hard to beat today agreed but blimey I expect a lot more than that this is Manchester United not Wolves.
Report elise November 28, 2021 7:06 PM GMT
let us know when you eventually realise they are cr@p
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 28, 2021 7:07 PM GMT
elise

Oh I know we are, been saying it for a few years and no new manager is going to make any difference with those players.
Report duffy November 28, 2021 7:32 PM GMT
Lou,

Hopefully in the coming months you will see the difference a better manager makes to a team.Grin
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 28, 2021 7:54 PM GMT
Hopefully ............. I just don't think I will.
Report rommel November 28, 2021 8:04 PM GMT
lou Alice knows more than you
Report rommel November 28, 2021 8:04 PM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi1DUB3JvIg
Report the_don November 28, 2021 8:44 PM GMT
Played 2 decent teams away from home this week so a win and a draw not too bad. Not much else to say other than that really - not great performances - I actually think Fred has been the best player which says it all about the approach really. If it is Rangnick coming in I think he will play a lot.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 28, 2021 9:12 PM GMT
don

Yes I agree two not great performances whatsoever yet somehow they've got away with them.

Funny with Fred, he gets stuck in and breaks things up but on the ball he's rubbish.  Look at that attempt at a chip today, by all means just miss it too high or too low but he just basically played it straight back to the keeper.  Awful.
Report cruso November 28, 2021 9:26 PM GMT
The difference today was that although Utd knew they were the inferior team, they didnt just hand the game over on a silver plate.
Report PLACEWISE November 29, 2021 1:57 PM GMT
Didn’t really see much difference can’t take a game to the opposition for more than a five ten minute spell reliant on other teams errors was bit better at back but that’s because at times it was a back six still reliant heavily on keeper

Will be interesting when they play supposedly inferior opposition and have to win the game not take a draw as a positive result
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 2:48 PM GMT
Placewise

Totally agree.  Sack Solskjaer, get another manager in ................. result?  Absolutely the same performance again and held on due to so many in defence.

They're going to try ANOTHER manager now ................. let's see if there's any difference using that same squad of players.  Bet there's not, they'll still finish 4th/5th which we knew pretty much at the start of the season.
Report duffy November 29, 2021 3:50 PM GMT
Not trying to herald a bright new dawn, no-one on here (as a United fan) is more critical of them than me, but, taking that game in isolation, it's totally baffling how some couldn't see that that was an improvement on what has gone on lately, it wasn't even subtle.

It seems that if United aren't raging forward with their hair on fire at every moment scoring for fun then it must be a bag of sh1t.Laugh

That game yesterday compared to recent performances was chalk and cheese.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 3:52 PM GMT
duffy

You mean IN YOUR OPINION  it was.  However IN MY OPINION it wasn't.  What makes you right?
Report rommel November 29, 2021 4:41 PM GMT
Utd did look up for it,running challenging...Ole free after all the stick,playing the lge leaders-not surprising,but its the mundane fixtures,will they just revert
Report PLACEWISE November 29, 2021 4:42 PM GMT
Think people might be getting bit carried away because that first half bar for maybe 5 to ten mins was as bad as any the only good thing was they didn’t concede but they were totally submissive if I was a fan I would be so annoyed thst the so called biggest club in the world are like a lower league team against most opponents

As I said be interesting when they play so called lesser teams and have to use the ball
Report PLACEWISE November 29, 2021 4:43 PM GMT
Think people might be getting bit carried away because that first half bar for maybe 5 to ten mins was as bad as any the only good thing was they didn’t concede but they were totally submissive if I was a fan I would be so annoyed thst the so called biggest club in the world are like a lower league team against most opponents

As I said be interesting when they play so called lesser teams and have to use the ball
Report rommel November 29, 2021 4:44 PM GMT
..there are some players who need to be shipped(my particular hobby-horse is rashford)
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 4:46 PM GMT
Place

Yes specifically in the first half United were absolutely woeful.  Did you see the stats at the end.  I think it was something like United SEVEN touches in the opposing penalty box and Chelsea had FIFTY THREE.

Ever so slightly one sided wasn't it ans some think that was improvement??  PMSL  LaughLaugh
Report PLACEWISE November 29, 2021 4:57 PM GMT
I can see why some saw it that way as a couple of players were pressing sporadically and when they scored  had a bit of possession my problem with them is they are meant to be a big team but teams like Southampton Brighton Leeds villa all go into games trying to win and trying to get hold of the ball

United seem to go into games and accept the opposition is better so let’s just hope they make a mistake and we can capitalize too passive no real plan or style very poor to watch
Report rommel November 29, 2021 5:04 PM GMT
LOU you got a fff draw at the lge leaders,youd been shipping 4 and 5 goals,fffff h,not an improvement?
Report PLACEWISE November 29, 2021 5:06 PM GMT
So did burnley
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 5:15 PM GMT
So did Burnley what??
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 5:18 PM GMT
Place

Again I agree, the likes of those smaller teams you mention all think they can beat us whereas up until a few years ago it was a forgone conclusion pretty much they wouldn't even have a shot, specially at OT.

Bar Ronaldo NOT ONE of the current team would get into a typical Fergie side.  They're just not good enough players full stop.  Once again at the weekend for instance, the great Bruno Fernandes ................. never done a thing.
Report PLACEWISE November 29, 2021 5:21 PM GMT
Burnley got a draw at chelsea sometimes it happens that a result can be gained and whilst it’s a improved result it doesn’t always tell the full story
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 5:24 PM GMT
Yes I mean let's be honest here that whilst the result was a draw (with United only getting a laughable 'Stevie Gerrard' mistake of a goal) Chelse were by far the better of the two.  Yet some say look at United's players and they're all really good players.  But how can they be ................ we're Eight in the league!

How far are we behind City, Bayern, Liverpool even Chelsea?

I'm a United fan, always have been for about 50 years but nothing wrong with simply being honest.  We're just not good enough by a long shot.
Report duffy November 29, 2021 5:30 PM GMT
LOU MACARIS TARTAN B 29 Nov 21 15:52 
duffy

You mean IN YOUR OPINION  it was.  However IN MY OPINION it wasn't.  What makes you right?

Do you mean" what makes me right that it's an improvement in my claim that getting tonked last week by one of the worst teams in the league to largely frustrating one of the best teams in the world in their own back yard??Grin
Report duffy November 29, 2021 5:31 PM GMT
We're just not good enough by a long shot.

Who's saying otherwise????Confused
Report duffy November 29, 2021 5:39 PM GMT
Lou,

It's perfectly clear that you don't want to see any improvement, certainly not in the short term anyway because it would fly in the face of the narrative that you relentlessly push that a manager makes zero difference to a team.

You are desperate to shout from the rooftops "Look, new manager, same sh1te, look look, told you , manager makes no difference, it's the players I tell you, the players...Ole out PMLLaughLaugh
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 6:29 PM GMT
duffy

the performance was hardly good though was it.  We had something like 7 touches in their box to their 53 or whatever the figures were.  The first half was totally shocking.

Regarding new managers there are tests done over the years that show that a change of manager does nothing whatsoever.  Yes they may win three or four games (They're moaning about the great Rafa Benitez now yet how come he can't wave his magic wand?) and I for one totally agree with it as I've pointed out many times.

The great Conte took over at Spurs, so far they drew at the mighty Everton and never had a shot on target and only last week lost to a team none of us have ever heard of, the equivalent to a Margate FC.  Once again where is his magic wand?

Nothing to do with the actual blokes on the pitch kicking the ball is it!!! PMSL
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 6:40 PM GMT
Exactly what I've said all along. 

You're welcome!

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/do-football-managers-make-a-difference-
Report Racingqueen November 29, 2021 6:42 PM GMT
Can anyone explain who decided to give Juan Mata a new contract and why?

Genuine question. They are top loaded with his type of player.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 6:51 PM GMT
Racing

Yes he's rubbish isn't he.  Never gets near the team, must be about 5th or 6th reserve at least so why keep him?

Someone must see his capabilities so why give him the contract.  There's been talk of him being some sort of Ambassador for the club.  Maybe because he's Spanish so appeals to a vast amount of Spanish speaking fans across the world who knows and he comes across as ever so 'Nice' maybe that has something to do with it but playing wise simply nowhere near good enough.
Report Racingqueen November 29, 2021 7:23 PM GMT
He was a decent player allbeit not top class and I now fully understand why Jose chucked him at Chelsea.

He's 33 now though and as you said must be about 9th or 10th in the pecking order.

Whoever is making these decisions at Old Trafford is the real problem
Report Racingqueen November 29, 2021 7:23 PM GMT
He was a decent player allbeit not top class and I now fully understand why Jose chucked him at Chelsea.

He's 33 now though and as you said must be about 9th or 10th in the pecking order.

Whoever is making these decisions at Old Trafford is the real problem
Report olddesperado November 29, 2021 7:58 PM GMT
Ole himself stated that Juan Mata could decide his future himself.

If he wanted a new contract the club would give him one but if he wanted to leave for first team football they wouldn't stand in his way.

Jobs for the boys ,  tying up a squad place with a veteran that was never going to play.
Report olddesperado November 29, 2021 8:01 PM GMT
However Mata is reported to be unhappy with not getting play time so he's probably another that ole lied to about giving more playing time to.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 29, 2021 8:16 PM GMT
Mata's too slow, too small, easily pushed aside and just not good enough.  I'd rather Fred than him and that's saying something.  Mind you to be fair give him his due Fred does have a great third touch!
Report HallGreenSpy November 29, 2021 8:22 PM GMT
Totally agree.  Sack Solskjaer, get another manager in ................. result?  Absolutely the same performance again and held on due to so many in defence.

FFs lou. If you don't think United yesterday was better than what they have been doing then you really know nowt. Yes , it is not easy on the eye but as Roy Keane said himsen, you are way off challenging for the league and at the mo are a cup team. Loved that spat between him and Carra yesterday and whilst both had valid points, I think Keane being United was a tad more real, whereas Carra, like most Pool fans enjoyed the wind up.
Report duffy November 30, 2021 4:14 PM GMT
I love Keane and dislike Carra, along with the most I'd have thoughtGrin, on the spat though I have to agree with Carra with practically everything he said.

Just one point to be made, what is practically the only thing that Keane has said throughout this dreadful time for United???

Effort!! Commitment!! Organization!! Challenges!!

Got all that yesterday...and he moans because Ronaldo, who we all know would compromise that and he moans about it.

That yesterday, you would have thought would be a stereotypical Keane performance...his reaction was confusingConfused
Report rommel November 30, 2021 4:36 PM GMT
see what you did there duff
Report lurka November 30, 2021 5:17 PM GMT
I agree with Keane when he said they didn't sign Ronaldo to try to win the league. They signed him because they didn't want him to go to City and it was a chance to bring back a legend and repair the owners' rep with the fans after the Super League. Also, despite his wages, he will probably generate nearly all if not more than what he will cost in increased global revenues and so it was a complete no brainer to sign him from the owners' point of view.

If they wanted to win the league they'd be signing a couple of midfielders for starters and a much younger striker like Haaland who can play every week. Signing a 36yo striker is not going to be the difference between 2nd and 1st for any team. Signing Varane and Sancho is more indicative of a desire to win the league than a 36yo striker. But anyone could tell you that they would not get any closer with the same midfield (and manager).
Report duffy November 30, 2021 5:45 PM GMT
Yes, agree with all that,

So much to say about the signing of Ronaldo, from the owners point of view it was manna from heaven because it killed about half a dozen birds with one stone. It would have overnight boosted the share price, increased revenue, improved relations with the fans, so much so that the Glazers felt comfortable in their seats at OT once again.

However, their miscalculation was that they didn't realize that the disruption his arrival would bring to the performance on the pitch (even if they had the capacity to contemplate this) would be as great as it has been, to the point where even the vanilla target of top 4 was in jeopardy.

So there is an irony in all this whereby the absolute one thing that they did not want to do in removing OGS has actually been brought on by their own actions and in so doing are forced to install a guy who will be more demanding of them and solely interested in the improvement of the playing side of the operation which will probably see the end of the Cash Cow, or (as he's actually turned out to be) Trojan Horse Ronaldo
Report Racingqueen November 30, 2021 6:03 PM GMT
Rangnick has to appear before panel after auto work permit approval rejected
Report duffy November 30, 2021 6:09 PM GMT
Perhaps the panel think that the taking of the United job is the "new" marrying someone just to get into the country before disappearing off the radarLaugh
Report Racingqueen November 30, 2021 6:19 PM GMT
Laugh

I'm sorry Mr Ragnick but there are plenty of people who can do this job already in the country.

Mr Woodward, let me introduce Mr Bruce, Mr Allardyce & Mr McClaren.....
Report Racingqueen November 30, 2021 6:21 PM GMT
They will just have to bite the bullet and make Rio Ferdinand the director of football / "Consultant"

LaughLaughLaugh
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B November 30, 2021 6:33 PM GMT
I'd like to know how we know for a FACT that United only bought Ronaldo so he didn't go to City?  Has anyone officially come out and said this or is just the papers and Forum guessing at it/making it up?

How do we know City wanted him so United bought him just to stop him going there?  Sounds absolute nonsense to me.
Report PorcupineorPineapple November 30, 2021 6:34 PM GMT
What a tool
Report rommel November 30, 2021 7:12 PM GMT
hate to say this but i think LOU has a good point
Report rommel November 30, 2021 7:17 PM GMT
if a big club were exposed for doing this i think it'd blow a hole in the entire transfer system
Report rommel November 30, 2021 7:24 PM GMT
what would the player think if he got wind of it or soon realised-as he would,he wasnt bought cos they had any plans for him as part of the team..just to spite the other club bidding
Report lurka November 30, 2021 7:45 PM GMT
I wouldn't be surprised if City weren't interested or only feigned interest or if it was just Ronaldo's agent putting out rumours because he wanted to generate interest from United. But United didn't show any interest until City reportedly did and there were reports of a call from Fergie to Ronaldo after that. United didn't go straight in and snap him up as soon as he was available anyway.

Either way the fans thought he was off to City and the board stepped in and scored some points with them, whether City were interested or not, and they were never going to bridge the gap by signing a 36yo striker when the defence and midfield esp were in much greater need of bolstering and still are.
More of a PR signing than one which would get them another 10+ PL points or make them a better PL team. His goals in the CL have been worth it tho, he's definitely made the difference in that comp.
Report the_don November 30, 2021 10:44 PM GMT
Pretty sure United only bought Ronaldo due to the City links. It was fairly common knowledge he was available from Juve but until City were mentioned there was no interest from United. The pursuit and purchase of Sancho wouldn't have happened if there was any thought of bringing Ronaldo back.

Of course it was a signing to create interest, headlines and revenue - and also to appease some of the fans. Despite what's been said recently that's what the Glazers want above all else - including on pitch success. A central midfielder was never coming in this summer as despite it being necessary for the squad, it wasn't necessary for the balance sheets. Unless a Zidane or Kaka had put their boots back on........
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com