Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
14 Jul 18 21:07
| Topic/replies: 55,133 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
How it used to be Love

Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 21, 2020 9:10 AM GMT
Laugh

Looks like OGS' suddenly pretty good.
Report cruso December 21, 2020 10:13 AM GMT
Still problems in defence, great result yesterday but without that fantastic first 3 minutes,
it could have been a different story.
Also the only team that Sheffield Utd have managed to score more than one goal against.
A top class defensive coach might be a good addition to the staff.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 21, 2020 10:33 AM GMT
Cruso

I said very recently that I'd stick with the attack and midfield but we need TWO Central Defenders.  The Great Harry Maguire barely warrants a mark of 7/10, certainly no more and that's just not good enough.  We let in so many goals, even Sheff Utd's second the other day the corner dropped about one yard from our goal line and went in off a deflection.  We've got to do better than that.  I'm happy with the full backs like I said but Lindelof and Maguire just not good enough.  I honestly can't see all round they are any better than Smalling and Jones.

They may be hard to find but we need two really good Centre backs.
Report cruso December 21, 2020 10:55 AM GMT
Hard to find ..yes
So a coach who could improve the back line might be a good move.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 21, 2020 11:44 AM GMT
Don't see how a coach can suddenly make you a better player to that extent or we'd all be Ronaldo or Messi.  Nope I'm afraid that say Van **** at Liverpool is just far, far better than Maguire and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

I've said before from what we've seen of Tuanzabe I'd play him and Lindelof and drop Maguire.  I'm sorry but Maguire's been a mistake, a panic buy he's just nowhere near good enough.
Report moisok December 21, 2020 12:40 PM GMT
cruso  - I still feel the same too about the defence.  Of course if they score more than the opposition then I back utd when I bet with most but against a good attack they will have problems - or someone working them out of course and you still have they strange erratic form of pogba when he plays.
Report duffy December 21, 2020 3:46 PM GMT
Just to be clear, Ole isn't suddenly very good, he should not be United manager, winning the title wouldn't change that one jot.

The whole league is bang average and United's position is greatly inflated by that.

The back and forward that has get him in the job this season will, long term only harm United.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 21, 2020 5:10 PM GMT
Just to be clear, Ole is very good, he should be United manager, not winning the title wouldn't change that one jot.

You forgot to say In your opinion duffy?
Report duffy December 21, 2020 5:36 PM GMT
Lou,

What you put isn't what I said, but yes, what I did say is only an opinion.Laugh
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 23, 2020 11:30 PM GMT
porcupine/duffy

ANOTHER away win.  Semi Final League Cup, Just pipped in hardest Champions League group and third in the league with a game in hand.

Ole out eh?   PMSL

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Report duffy December 24, 2020 5:13 AM GMT
Lou,

You seemed to have missed the pattern of things in recent years, peaks and troughs with a zero net gain.

We are currently on the upward curve, that's all!!

Anyway, your apparent joy at the current "success" of the manager seems misplaced when you consider your general stance that a manager's contribution to the team is negligible.

It would be encouraging if you are indeed giving him credit now, it will come in handy when we once again have a sticky patchGrin
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 24, 2020 10:38 AM GMT
duffy

You started it saying Ole's not good enough yet 3rd last year, going along very nicely now I don't see what he's doing wrong so why change him.

The players have picked up a bit, three good first team signings in Bruno, Cavani and Wan Bissaka wee're going along very nicely thank you very much.

I'd quit whilst you're behind if I were you duffy

"Next patient ........... wheel them in"
Report buddeliea December 24, 2020 11:00 AM GMT
Lou, i would be a bit careful if judging by the current league table.
Spurs were top a couple of games ago,now 6th.
Its a pretty average year(aside probably Liverpool) where you dont have to be that good to be 3rd.
That looks like continuing to me, with a lot of clubs below Liverpool will keep taking points off each other.
3rd now could be 2nd in a couple of weeks, or 8th.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 24, 2020 11:16 AM GMT
budd

Yes take your point but Liverpool aside and maybe City I'd say United were the third best team.

If it were The Cup Final tomorrow and United were playing Spurs or Chelsea I would honestly back United of the two and I'm sure the Bookmakers would make United favourites too.  Currently for the league for instance United are 11/1, Chelsea 14/1 and Spurs 22/1.

I think we've got a decent team now but still need to improve at the back.
Report buddeliea December 24, 2020 11:30 AM GMT
Fair points.
Think UTD are as least as good as any of the others right now....inc City imo.

Be interesting to see how they are come the Spring.

Have to admit, hes doing a better job than i thought he would.
Report PorcupineorPineapple December 24, 2020 12:34 PM GMT

Dec 24, 2020 -- 12:30AM, LOU MACARIS TARTAN B wrote:

porcupine/duffyANOTHER away win.

Report PorcupineorPineapple December 24, 2020 12:50 PM GMT
No mate. Ole in. Definitely IN. Give him a new deal please.

Weird though how you're so keen to talk about managers' abilities now. It's almost like when you were doing poorly then all managers were immaterial, but now you've won a couple of games you think he's the bees' knees.
Report duffy December 24, 2020 6:22 PM GMT
That just about covers it.Grin
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 24, 2020 10:38 PM GMT
duffy/porcupine

No you both started it by saying Ole is no good and they should get rid.

I defended him saying how is it his fault so if they're doing better now then we are back to the starting point surely whcih means we DON'T need a new manager.

Like I said he's brought in Bruno, Wan Bissaka (has anyone EVER got past him?) and Cavani so not bad eh.

Proof you were both wrong to say to get rid of Ole.  Oh look at them now  PMSL
Report the_don December 26, 2020 2:36 PM GMT
Feels like points dropped after leading twice and Leicester's 2nd definitely had a fortunate deflection, however we've come from behind so many times can't really complain too much.

Thought we created the big chances but missed too many - never felt Leicester created much but they're always a threat with Vardy on the pitch and so it proved.

Roll on the next matches (4 at home in a row now), bench looked strong today so plenty of scope for changes. Can see Bruno getting a rest soon, thought he looked slightly off but still came up with important moments when it mattered.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 27, 2020 10:07 AM GMT
Wasn't it a shame we didn't have another manager so that when Rashford had an almost unmissable header in the first few minutes from 6 yards out because the new manager would have picked him and written his name on the team sheet the header would have magically gone in.

It was Ole's fault he missed it.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Report pushkin99 December 28, 2020 1:32 PM GMT
Rinse and repeat for the benefit of United trolls on here who are more than a bit dim, have very poor memories and are encumbered by severe learning difficulties.

U know who u are, but this obviously includes thebitterbighter.

It was great fun and a lorra laughs, pretending to be a saints fan for a couple of months almost 8 years ago now!

In virtually every post defending Liverpool, Liverpudlian's and LFC from attacks by some of the most notorious bigoted trolls on the forum, including pbk, wetbender, ratkins and thebitterbighter.

I loved every moment of that two months when I was on here, taking those United and Chelsea bigoted trolls to task and holding them to account.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Someone with half a brain should easily have quickly rumbled my little game, targeting Chelsea and United bigoted trolls while all the time defending Liverpool!!!!!!

Something well beyond the halfwits pbk, wetbender, ratkins and thebitterbighter.
Report pushkin99 December 28, 2020 1:46 PM GMT
A question for u lot from thebitterbighter:

- can someone explain to me why man u fans such ar5se licking gloryhunting hypocritical bores
Report Angoose December 28, 2020 1:50 PM GMT
Manchester United are already looking to extend Edinson Cavani's contract, says manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The Uruguay striker, 33, joined on a one-year deal in October, with the option of a further year.

He has started only one Premier League game but has scored three goals in eight games and came off the bench to create Bruno Fernandes' goal at Leicester on Saturday.

Solskjaer said he expects a new deal to be agreed.

"Edinson has a few years left in him so I wouldn't say anything else," said Solskjaer. "He has made a great impact and I trust him."

Solskjaer said he sees the former Paris St-Germain and Napoli forward as more than just an impact substitute.

"He is definitely a starter," said the Norwegian.

"You don't classify a player of that quality as anything else. I trust him and he will probably start more games than he won't."

Cavani's introduction was delayed as he had so self-isolate for a fortnight after arriving from France. He then had to build up match fitness after leaving PSG at the end of June.

Minor injuries have also ruled him out for short periods but, when he has played, he has shown moments of quality that are befitting of his status as one of the best strikers in the world.

Evidently, confidence is not a problem either.

While another South American, Antonio Valencia, once handed back the number seven shirt at Old Trafford because of the weight of history attached to it, Cavani actively asked for the number which has been worn by iconic club figures such as George Best, Bryan Robson, David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo.

"It was the first thing he asked me, if he could wear the number seven," said Solskjaer.

"Obviously we are talking about the history of the shirt but when you think of his career, the experience he has had and his personality from the chat I had with him and when I watched him before, it wasn't in doubt that he could handle it."
Report duffy December 29, 2020 10:14 PM GMT
A typically inept performance from a creative point of view, however this was Wolves who make it very difficult to play against regardless of what type of form you are in, some 3 point wins seem to be worth more than others and a win against this lot feels like it's almost worth more.

The problems are all too easy to see against deep lying teams but a good win nevertheless.
Report the_don December 29, 2020 11:06 PM GMT
They (Wolves) always seem to defend well against us and did so again today. They can count themselves unlucky, as you say we created very little and they clearly tired at the end with one day less rest.

Their left wing back was sat down just before the goal with the ball still in play - if I was the manager I'd be fuming, there were about 90 seconds left. Rashford after the game said he'd seen that and probably wouldn't have made his run in behind otherwise or tried to get a shot off. At least that shows awareness that he doesn't always appear to have.

A good win to get as the momentum is so important with regular games and other teams dropping points, plus Villa next up who are playing well. Right side of attack still a big problem for me as attacks grind to a halt over there each time we play a well organised team like tonight.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B December 29, 2020 11:32 PM GMT
Yes got away with that tonight a poor showing we hardly had a shot.

Thought Bailly played well, Pogba even had a go but other than that?

I'll say again nobody hardly mentions the times Bruno gives the ball away, yes he's trying things but look last week we would have beat Leicester if he hadn't have tried to nutmeg their guy then they go and score.
Report duffy December 30, 2020 3:52 AM GMT
He does give the ball away, but on balance where would we be without him?

United desperately need another creative player in the middle of the park, or Pogba needs to step forward and grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

Greenwood seems to be drifting at the moment and playing him on the right doesn't suit him.
Report the_don December 30, 2020 8:18 AM GMT
Greenwood hasn't got going this season but he's hardly had 2 games in a row so i can understand that. As with all who play on the right (Mata, Rashford, even James) he wants to come inside all the time to get involved which closes space for others and leaves the RB to cover pretty much the whole right side.

Where would we be without Bruno? Probably where we were 12 -15 months ago. Unable to create any chances and relying solely on counter attacks. Yes he gives it away, sometimes the easier opportunities to create chances are missed which is frustrating but he's our stand out player by an absolute mile.

Yes he gave it away v Leicester but others could have done better for that goal too. He also scored v Leicester, assisted Rashford's goal and put another one on a plate for him!

Some of his one touch stuff under pressure recently, especially v Leeds and Everton, went under the radar but opened up acres for others. He's a worker too and doesn't settle for mediocrity which I like and we need more of. I thought he'd be targeted but he always seems to find space.

My only worry is fatigue or injury as we rely on him so much. Pogba isn't nearly consistent enough to create or score as many (check his goals/assist stats) and van de Beek who I'd hoped could share the creative load is a different kind of player and doesn't seem ready yet.
Report If Dolphins Were Monkeys January 1, 2021 2:59 AM GMT
Thomas Henderson Docherty LovePlainLovePlain.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 1, 2021 10:32 PM GMT
For me just like the Wolves game it was very even and we are lucky to win that.

Was it even a penalty, hard to tell 100% but for me from what I could see Pogba has accidentally tripped himself up there.  Very harsh on the defender I thought.
Report Capt__F January 1, 2021 10:36 PM GMT
McGuire not bad for 7/10 played every min
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 1, 2021 10:39 PM GMT
Still wouldn't give Maguire any more than that though.  He's tall, heads the ball well, he's tall heads the ball well, he's tall, heads the ball well oh and I should say he's tall and heads the ball well.

No way could you rate him at 8/10.  Supposing say Rio was a 9/10 defender (and I think that's pushing it a touch) then how is Maguire close enough to him to warrant an 8?  He surely isn't hence he's a 7/10 defender.  He's not great is he.
Report Capt__F January 1, 2021 10:40 PM GMT
Lou your joint top yet still moaning Sad
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 1, 2021 10:44 PM GMT
Not moaning at all just being HONEST (you lot really should try it sometime rather than lie and be totally biased.

Yes I'm glad United won and are top BUT for me that wasn't a penalty (don't forget just being HONEST, you don't have to lie just because it's your team)

And also NO WAY is Maguire an 8/10 defender.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 1, 2021 10:45 PM GMT
PS

It's You're joint top, not Your.
Report Capt__F January 1, 2021 10:48 PM GMT
not sure consistent capitals grammatically corrrect U grammar Nazi
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 1, 2021 10:52 PM GMT
Capt

It's a very basic knowledge though that someone would know their (or do you say there?) spellings.

I think it's embarrassing that a grown man can't differentiate between them.
Report Capt__F January 1, 2021 10:53 PM GMT
only 17
Report REDROB January 1, 2021 10:53 PM GMT
grown man ? more than that, he's 85ish Laugh
Report REDROB January 1, 2021 10:54 PM GMT
Couldn't resist it Captain.
Report Capt__F January 1, 2021 10:55 PM GMT
close but NO cigar
Report Capt__F January 1, 2021 10:55 PM GMT
close but NO cigar
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 1, 2021 10:57 PM GMT
Capt

You can say that again!
Report pushkin99 January 4, 2021 6:13 PM GMT
Rinse and repeat for the United trolls on this forum who are more than a bit dim, have very poor memories and are encumbered by severe learning difficulties.

U know who u are, but this is primarily aimed at the lifelong trolling United bigot, thebitterbighter.

It was great fun and a lorra laughs, pretending to be a saints fan for a couple of months almost 9 years ago now around February 2012!

In virtually every post defending Liverpool, Liverpudlian's and Liverpool FC from attacks by some of the forums most notorious bigoted trolls, including pbk/muffdan, wetbender, ratkins and thebitterbighter.

I loved every moment of that two months, taking United and Chelsea trolls to task and holding them to account for their bigotry.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Someone with half a brain could and should easily have quickly rumbled my little game, targeting Chelsea and United trolls while at the same time defending Liverpool!!!!!! Something well beyond the halfwits pbk/muffdan, wetbender, ratkins and thebitterbighter.
Report pushkin99 January 4, 2021 6:14 PM GMT
A question for u lot from thebitterbighter:

- can someone explain to me why man u fans such ar5se licking gloryhunting hypocritical bores
Report the_don January 6, 2021 7:16 PM GMT
Chance to get to get to a final tonight, whenever that may be. Need a major improvement on last year's semi final home game where we were out of the tie after 30 mins.

Looks like Pep has gone for his usual plan of packing/dominating midfield with plenty of rotation. Hopefully we don't go chasing shadows early on like last year, let them have possession 40 yards out if they wish.

No Kyle Walker for them who is usually their guard against quick counters and a big game for both keepers who'll surely be put under pressure. Shame as usual there are no fans as I think the place would be bouncing tonight.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 6, 2021 9:48 PM GMT
I thought we were pretty well beat tonight, City far better.  yes a couple of scrappy goals but every time they came forward they looked dangerous whereas Martial and Rashford have barely touched the ball.  They didn't even have Aguero or Jesus playing yet that was our Number 1 team out there.

Don't get me wrong City are a great side and would have beaten anyone I think but showed a gulf between them.  I honestly think United are the third best team in the league so how far are they still behind the main two?  We've improved but still a long way to go.

Stats say not too much in it and you can highlight a Rashford chance and Bruno's that was tipped over but really that was about it.

PS:  Once again (though nobody will say anything about it as usual) Bruno must have given the ball away 25 times.  He was awful tonight sorry.
Report pushkin99 January 6, 2021 10:01 PM GMT
without the never ending refereeing decisions and pens in their favour, this is United's zenith.

Every cloud has its silver lining, the recent run of results means u are not changing 'Hole'for a manager who could take u forward in the challenge for things worth winning................
Report olddesperado January 6, 2021 10:30 PM GMT
Test
Report olddesperado January 6, 2021 10:42 PM GMT
I've been unable to post for s while now ,  don't know why but so be it.

Dreadfully poor tonight.

You can have a few passive players in a team and do ok but mot most of the team.

For me AWB ,linfolof,Maguire ,Pogba, rashford,martial are all passive and cover rather than tackle which is what we need.

He's only one player but bailly makes such a difference to us with his pressing and aggression.

Rojo was ridiculed by some if our fans but he did the same job winning the ball early and putting the OPPO on the back foot.

Dvb getting 3 minutes in a cup semi final when 2 down was an insult.

That person deserves a lot better from our manager.
Report Capt__F January 6, 2021 10:44 PM GMT
thought utd ok tonight City just better
Report olddesperado January 6, 2021 10:48 PM GMT
In the 88 minute tonight we caressed the ball around the back 4 effortlessly.

Maguire lindolof AWB  lindolof Maguire lindolof AWB out of touch.

That's a standard play in fairness.
Report olddesperado January 6, 2021 10:50 PM GMT
If you think that capt your obviously not a utd supporter , ?
Report Capt__F January 6, 2021 10:55 PM GMT
correct
but cd gone either way i thought
Report olddesperado January 6, 2021 11:06 PM GMT
Could have of course but we wouldn't have deserved it.

I'm of the old brigade that believe you have to win you personal battles and usually if you get maybe 6 or 7 of those won you win the game.

Tonight we lost every battle,  hardly won a 50/50 challenge to be honest.

Pogba didn't win one challenge tonight.

It's hard to win games with that in a team.

At 34 cavani would have run more in a 20 min Camino that martial all game.

Rashford loses concentration more often than any player I've seen of his calibre.
Report the_don January 6, 2021 11:06 PM GMT
Thought it was a good game myself, City dominated possession as expected but thought our organisation and energy was good in the main. The real let down for me was when we were round their box and had opportunities to create good chances but didn't. Yes, Fernandes was responsible for a couple of those.

Thought Keane on Sky summed it up well (for a change), at present we're not good enough to match the top teams when they play well. It was far more even than the tie from last January over 2 legs, but City have the trophy winning experience that can make the difference in games like tonight.
Report olddesperado January 6, 2021 11:11 PM GMT
It's not experience don it's bottle.

Loom how happy everyone was to pass backwards and sideways.

Cowardly football.

4 semi final loses   ,

Have we even remotely looked liked winning one of them ?
Report olddesperado January 6, 2021 11:16 PM GMT
What is this rashford ploy of getting the ball in a decent position and then standing over it until the opposition are in shape before he starts off again,  usually losing it or putting the midfield or defence under pressure.
Report the_don January 6, 2021 11:19 PM GMT
The 3 last season were all poor efforts. I don't think you could say that about tonight but we've come up short again. While not watertight, City seem better defensively and less gung ho than they have been for a while so it's not as easy to create chances as it has been in recent times.
Report olddesperado January 6, 2021 11:22 PM GMT
They were missing 8 players don.( maybe not all starters together)

We had a full team.

We are spineless.
Report olddesperado January 6, 2021 11:28 PM GMT
AWB, lindolof,Pogba rashford, martial.

Those 5 were walking around after passing or losing the ball all game,

Absolutely no awareness to track back or keep switched on.

Just watch them off the ball.

Once they pass it they stand still.

Drive's me mad.
Report the_don January 7, 2021 2:05 PM GMT
As I said last night Olddesp, I thought it was a good game. Compared to recent times our organisation and pressure on the ball was good. City were excellent on the ball under pressure, even back to their young keeper who they trusted and was so composed. Despite that, I can only recall once or twice where they cut through us easily to create a chance.

For me the idea of getting tackles in has pretty much gone from the game. Look at the 'foul' on Sterling which led to their first goal which was laughable really. Of course we've also benefited from this this season but players are given decisions for feeling minimal if any contact and just falling down or throwing their hands up in the air. I sound like a right old man but I dislike it and it frustrates so much.

Regaining possession to me these days is about cutting off passing angles, pressure around the ball and boxing players into small areas. Others are better than us at this and we need to improve on this to create sustained spells of pressure, especially in games where teams get into a defensive shape quickly out of possession. As I said I thought our defensive shape was mainly good but we were let down further up the pitch for once.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 11, 2021 8:54 AM GMT
What do you think of the Donny Van de Beek situation?

I think Ole's doing really well with the team now, we're not as good as the obvious top two but IMO we're then the pick of the rest.  We still find it hard breaking defences down and our Central defence isn't great as we've all discussed many times.

The Van De Beek situation is weird though, it's been about 6 months now and he hardly plays and when he does what can anyone realistically do for the last 10 minutes so I do feel for him.  That said from what we have seen of him he's not exactly 'Wow' is he?  Always looks neat and tidy and it seems to me even it tight situations he still finds a pass out but I can understand the frustration with people in the game almost asking "Well what was the point of buying him then"?

We already have Bruno as our main creative midfielder with Pogba behind him in the queue.  Van de Beek is then behind Pogba.  I have to put this analogy forward:  If we all have a washing machine indoors that works fine surely we wouldn't have a spare washing machine (Pogba) sitting in the garage would we?  But then even if we concede we do need a spare washing machine (Pogba) then why go out and buy ANOTHER washing machine (Van de Beek) just to leave it in it's wrapper and never have the need to unpack it?

I'm sure you can all take my point.  It's like us buying ANOTHER Keeper.  We already have De Gea so Henderson can't really get in the team so surely we wouldn't buy another Keeper yet that's what we've done with Van de Beek.

I wonder if it's time to offload him and personally if I was him and I was constantly not getting games then Manchester United or not I would be asking to go and play for someone who will pick me every week.

Thoughts?
Report PorcupineorPineapple January 11, 2021 9:07 AM GMT
Pogba's not lasting beyond the summer though surely. His agent's gone from "we'll see" type vague comments to full on "he's not happy and wants to leave". VdB doesn't look great but your midfield would be  wetter than a sunday afternoon in Salford if Fernandes ever got injured and you need a bit more creativity there seeing as your full backs aren't exactly assist machines.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 11, 2021 10:08 AM GMT
Yes I take your point but even then IF pogba goes (who's to say he will?) then at best Van de Beek is understudy to Fernandes.

Still if it were me I'd be saying to the club "Ok you obviously are very rarely going to play me so I'm off"  I know it must be very difficult to walk away from Manchester United but I would.  Who wants to just get their wages and sit in the stands when he can still get his wages and play elsewhere every week.  He's obvioulsy going to be sought by other big teams around Europe so I'd simply leave if I were him.
Report Capt__F January 12, 2021 9:21 PM GMT
cd go top yet zero traffic ?
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 12, 2021 10:42 PM GMT
Where are the United fans who wanted Ole out now eh?

Ole out ........ Top of the league!!

Shhhhhhhh!
Report the_don January 12, 2021 11:31 PM GMT
Report the_don January 12, 2021 11:41 PM GMT
Wouldn't let me log in/post for a few days, thought I'd been culled. Scared

Hate playing Burnley, they play the physical game but moan when it goes against them. Thought the decision to disallow Maguire's header was ridiculous. For all that they do defend well and never give up so it's always well earned to get the 3 points there.

Pogba's best game for us for a good while, we all know he's likely to have a stinker next time out mind. Goals have dried up a bit recently, none of the forwards seem in great scoring form but one usually comes up with a moment to make the difference.
Report buddeliea January 13, 2021 8:28 AM GMT
Congrats for hitting top Lou. Who knows, you may even be there at the end of the season.

To be fair though Lou, UTD are top because City and Pool have descended to the level that the others have been last few years.
They are top of probably the worse league standard wise their has ever been....that i remember anyway.

So i dont think its well done Ole just yet mate.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 13, 2021 10:12 AM GMT
budd

Oh yes I agree, United improved a bit but the other two definitely not quite so good this year so evens things up a little.

I don't really think 'Well done Ole' as I strongly believe the manager does very little after all it's the eleven actually kicking the ball on the pitch who are deciding the outcome of games.

My post was to all the United fans who say "Ole out he's not good enough" type of thing. .............. Well look at them now!  No need to change him with someone else whatsoever as the new 'someone' can't do a thing about the guys actually kicking the ball so if you had to have a manager to 'manage' then how bad is Ole doing so why replace him.
Report rommel January 13, 2021 10:15 AM GMT
LOU,DONT YOU THINK THE MANAGER PICKS THE TEAM,FORMATION TACTICS before the match,switching things during a game.making subs to change things,atmosphere in training
Report rommel January 13, 2021 10:16 AM GMT
agree about the mag goal saw nowt wrong with it,thought  shaw could have saw red,
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 13, 2021 10:33 AM GMT
rommel

I'm not saying the manager does anything I just have always believed it's all about the players.  For instance if we had Virgil in our defence we'd be better surely as he's a great defender.  Doesn't take SAF, Klopp, Pep, Ole to work that out does it?

Who wouldn't want your front three but they play for Liverpool so nobody else can pick them.  Who wouldn't want Ronaldo, Messi in their team, not rocket science is it.  You get better players you have more chance of winning.  I bet you'd like De Bruyne in your midfield for instance.  How hard would it be to get a pen and write his name on the the team sheet?

No sorry for me it's 90% about the players, you either have good ones, average ones or bad ones.
Report rommel January 13, 2021 10:39 AM GMT
of course players are the raw material but theres a lot more to a big club than just throwing the best players on.many many factors
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 13, 2021 11:18 AM GMT
rom

I take your point but I honestly belive the manager has very little to do with it.

I sighted before that since 66' England have tried FIFTEEN different manager's, not one could make a difference yet nobody will simply say that having tied FIFTEEN managers and for 54 years our PLAYERS just obviously aren't as good as other countries.

Look at Liverpool's stars:  AFRICAN, EGYPTIAN, BRAZILIAN, DUTCH

CITY:  BELGIAN, ARGENTINIAN, BRAZILIAN, PORTUGUESE, GERMAN

UTD:   URUGUAYIAN, FRENCH, PORTUGUESE, SPANISH

Our English players just aren't as good as other countries and no manager (we've tried Swedish, Italian as well) can do anything about it.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 13, 2021 11:21 AM GMT
Make that SEVENTEEN different managers!
Report rommel January 13, 2021 1:33 PM GMT
english managers have always been hobbled-having to pick english players
Report the_don January 17, 2021 6:50 PM GMT
Could have won it 2nd half, with better final ball or timing ofcrun, plus had the 2 best chances. But also could have been behind in the first half hour when we were clearly second best - Liverpool were equally as poor from 20 yards in.

People will say we should have exposed their centre backs but you have to get the ball first and use it better. Plus Fabinho (like Fernandinho for City) is no mug at cb - thought he and Shaw were the best on the pitch today.

Same time next week? ExcitedCrazy
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 17, 2021 6:57 PM GMT
don

Yes I agree a fair result with the two you mentioned the best players on the pitch.  I thought Pogba had a go as well.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 20, 2021 1:24 PM GMT
Very quite on here fellow United fans yet we're going along quite nicely, gradually improving and not so far off the obvious two.  Where is everybody?
Report the_don January 20, 2021 7:13 PM GMT
I've had a few problems logging in and posting so maybe it's that Lou. Obviously there's been a fair few less posts from other team's fans on here recently......... I'm sure they'll be back with us soon tbh.

Need a win tonight, Fulham have looked ok when I've seen them recently but 3 points is surely a must. A run of games without a win and everyone can close up and pass you as seen with Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool in the last few weeks.
Report PorcupineorPineapple January 20, 2021 8:36 PM GMT
HiyaSilly
Report PorcupineorPineapple January 20, 2021 8:42 PM GMT
Bugger

(skulks off again)
Report the_don January 20, 2021 10:28 PM GMT
Hi PoP Laugh

Thought there'd be a few more on here tonight for a while. Not a great performance but ground out another win. We've done that a lot this season and hardly ever played really well for sustained spells to win games.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 20, 2021 10:40 PM GMT
Apart from a Pogba wonder goal they draw against a team at the bottom of the league.  United a lot of possession but on chances I thought about an even game.  We've got to do better than that.
Report the_don January 21, 2021 2:46 PM GMT
We don't beat teams convincingly though Lou, apart from maybe v Leeds they've nearly all been 1 goal victories - hence despite being top our gd is the worst of the top few teams. Teams won't open up against us to leave spaces for the counter attack - not that we're alone in finding it hard to break teams down.

Even had Pogba's shot not gone in, I'd have fancied us to get a goal in the last 20 minutes. We seem much better when we have a purpose such as coming from behind rather than trying to control a game or seeing out a game. People are almost used to us starting poorly but finishing stronger.

We've been kept going by individual moments, usually by Bruno but Pogba has stepped up lately - that's not sustainable though imo. I said a week or 2 ago that the lack of goals and form from Martial and Greenwood (and Rashford to a point) was a worry and that's still the case.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 21, 2021 4:58 PM GMT
Yes he tried Martial and Greenwood the Boy Wonder but both of them barely done a thing.  That said if you drop one of them for Rashford he fares no better.
Report jedi sophie January 21, 2021 10:54 PM GMT
We come on you tell us to **** off.

We dont you pine!Excited
Report the_don January 22, 2021 8:28 AM GMT
Oh there's no pining Laugh And only some of you get told to **** off

Fourth round of the FA Cup usually a distraction but this season and after recent results it's more significant. Absolutely no idea what type of line up each manager will go for on Sunday.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 22, 2021 8:47 AM GMT
don

I think the difference is that United's 'Second string' are better than Liverpool's.

Pretty much for any game they play who really cares if it's De Gea or Henderson,  Lindelof or Bailly, Shaw or Williams, Matic or Mctominay, Pogba or Fred, Rashford or Greenwood?  Throw in Tuanzabe, Telles, Mata too so I don't think it makes a lot of difference what Eleven are picked as the Second string are just about as good.

Whereas Liverpool have a very good team but their reserves aren't up to the same level.  So I don't mind which Eleven play on Saturday I think we're in with a good shout.
Report jedi sophie January 22, 2021 9:35 AM GMT
Your probably correct re squad depth Lou, and were beginning to suffer now due to our issues.
Injuries to key players are a killer.
If Klopp doesnt rate his bench which he clearly doesbt due to how infrequently he changes things I dont understand why hasnt turned more of them over.

FWIW imo Man u have far too many inconsistent bordering lazy players too sustain this run over the next season or two.

Also much rather have a top class 11, than a very good 22.Laugh
Report jedi sophie January 22, 2021 9:35 AM GMT
Kdb injured is very good news for both sides. Best player in league by a long way....
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 22, 2021 9:44 AM GMT
jedi

Yes KDB is fabulous would love him in our teams.

I agree United have too many inconsistent/lazy players.  For instance Martial can be so good, he can wriggle out of situations with his quick feet but that said most of the time he does nothing.  He seems to be in a daydream strolling around.  It's like he happens to glance at the scoreboard and say "Oh are we losing 2-0 I didn't realise they'd scored?  Yawn"
Report jedi sophie January 22, 2021 9:49 AM GMT
He is without doubt one of the worst.
Hardly ever actually works hard.
If he had application,desire to match his talent he would achieve a whole lot more, another one of those happy with his million a month for as little output as possible.
No one there to absolutely tear him for his effort.
Fulham game prime example.....
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 22, 2021 9:53 AM GMT
jedi

He's like that every game.  Can't understand how a player at a massive club is just content with thinking "Well I'm earning about £250k per week so just have a kick about with the boys it doesn't really matter"

Surely he wants to win things, he's undoubtably talented so why not try a bit harder.  I suppose the only thing you can do is drop him for a good few weeks so he gets the message.
Report duffy January 22, 2021 5:57 PM GMT
In the second half against Liverpool I thought United were excellent (although were lucky to get there intact) had a lot more of the ball and were more adventurous, arguably should have won.

Overall though and a note of caution, aligned with some clubs failing it seems to me that United are in a false position, we have won a good few coin flips lately.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B January 22, 2021 6:18 PM GMT
duffy

Yes I agree about the coins flips, were we really any better than Fulham for instance who are about 3rd from bottom?
Report the_don January 22, 2021 9:12 PM GMT
We're fortunate in a way to be top with others dropping points they wouldn't be expected to - but using that judgement nobody else deserves to be top either! Everyone has had their faults and whoever can get a consistent winning run going has a great chance to move clear.

We have improved as the season has progressed but you'd think that team would be City. The absence of Aguero and de Bruyne, their 2 best attacking players, should hinder them, but

a) they've got a solid defence at the mo and nearly always only need to score 1 to win and
b) Pep's medical team will be on the case Wink and I'd be amazed if de Bruyne missed more than 3 or 4 weeks.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com