Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
14 Jul 18 19:07
| Topic/replies: 5,407 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
How it used to be Love

Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report olddesperado May 26, 2021 12:37 PM BST
I'm not very confident about tonight,   

I think levels have dropped for a few weeks now and it's not that easy switching back on.

A lot of these players have history of not performing in big games also.

I think in big games we start slow and it seems to set the tone.

Perhaps the team talk is to keep it tight early and take the sting out of the game (fergie always emphasised this) and maybe ole is following tack except this bunch can't pick it up when they need to gain control.

It wouldn't be my selection but I think rashford will start over Greenwood unless of course Fred doesn't make it and Pogba drops deeper and he plays both.

I have a feeling he plays taunzbe ahead of Bailly too.

I'd be ok with that.

1-1 extra time and penalties is my guess.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B May 26, 2021 6:42 PM BST
Fingers crossed for tonight.  Ideally I suppose Harry is playing and you never know whilst it looks doubtful it could be one of those "All of a sudden he feels much better so he's playing" moments that we've led down the garden path with so many times.  If he doesn't make it I think Tuanzabe will take his place over the mistake ridden Bailly.

Villareal are only 7th in their league and as I have pointed out before with other sides I honestly couldn't name you one of their players?  Surely we must have a great chance.  Non biased bookies too make us about 4/9 to ultimately win it so here's hoping.

My predicted team would be:

DE GEA ............  More experienced of two calamatos keepers both prone to a mistake.

WAN BASSAKA
LINDELOF
MAGUIRE/TUANZABE ... Tuanzabe a tall, quick defender.  Bailly rash and ready to make a mistake.
SHAW

MCTOMMINAY
FERNANDEZ
FRED

GREENWOOD .......... Surely the pick on the right over Rashford who for me is often not much more than a fast runner.
CAVANI
POGBA

Come on United!
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B May 26, 2021 6:43 PM BST
Should read I suppose Harry ISN'T playing.

Don't be too surprised though if he is!
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B May 26, 2021 7:05 PM BST
I don't fancy Fred much at all but do worry that will Pogba do his defensive bit with Fred out.

At least Rashford on the left gives him a chance but please don't keep trying to run through the middle of three/four defenders.

Like I said I'd prefer Tuanzabe over Bailly but hey ho we've all got our own opinions.  OGS obviously got his reasons so fair enough.
Report the_don May 26, 2021 7:05 PM BST
I would have gone for the same team Lou, with Tuanzebe at centre back and Rashford to come on in the 2nd half (ideally to counter with pace rather than to chase a goal).

We've gone with Pogba in midfield which I think could be a mistake unless we're looking to blow them away early which is unlikely to happen. Let's hope I'm wrong.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B May 26, 2021 7:10 PM BST
Just think Pogba often does very little, needs too much time on the ball.  He looks around ............ and someone nips in and tackles him.  We know he has talent but for me all too rarely.

Still think United in with a big shout.  Maybe 1-0 even will do.

Fingers crossed ................
Report the_don May 26, 2021 8:54 PM BST
Got to stay patient in the 2nd half, keep the width as they are concentrating on blocking any play through the middle. As always we need to get it to the wide men a bit quickerer to create more one on ones.

I'm hoping Pogba at least can be pushed a bit further forward - they are retreating and we still have 5 players 45 yards out with their whole team to play through.
Report HGS May 26, 2021 9:43 PM BST
1-1 extra time and penalties is my guess.

Looking good oldd. I had a bag on United at 1.48 to lift it.
Report the_don May 26, 2021 10:38 PM BST
Hope you win HGS. But we do have a keeper who never saves penalties.......
Report olddesperado May 26, 2021 10:39 PM BST
Surely Henderson could have come on .
Report olddesperado May 26, 2021 10:58 PM BST
I typed that before a penalty was taken btw.
Report pushkin99 May 26, 2021 10:58 PM BST
Unlucky United fan boys, your pulling off of your knickers for Leicester failed miserably as well.
Report rothko May 26, 2021 10:58 PM BST
thought the best side won on the day

unlucky
Report pushkin99 May 26, 2021 10:59 PM BST
Every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

Now u are joing us in pot 2, u are much more likely to have an easier draw in the CL.
Report olddesperado May 26, 2021 11:00 PM BST
Taking off Greenwood over Rashford was bizarre and we lost all rythem and grip on the game.
Report rothko May 26, 2021 11:00 PM BST
agree Rashford was poor
Report HGS May 26, 2021 11:00 PM BST
11-10 pens. Words fail me.

Btw, my bet was before kick off. I'm still at a loss. Crazy
Report olddesperado May 26, 2021 11:02 PM BST
At least 3 of those penalties were saveable.

De just looks too small and never looks like saving one.
Report olddesperado May 26, 2021 11:05 PM BST
Dan James for Pogba was another ole masterclass in the art of subbing strategy.
Report HGS May 26, 2021 11:05 PM BST
Some of them late pens were nowt short of ridiculously good for the non takers. Forgot Moreno played for them.
Report HGS May 26, 2021 11:07 PM BST
Dan James for Pogba was another ole masterclass in the art of subbing strategy.

Utterly bizarre but Lou will tell you it's not Ole's fault.
Report olddesperado May 26, 2021 11:08 PM BST
Anyway as I said today too many of these are bottlers and would find a way to lose.

Just not good enough.
Report rothko May 26, 2021 11:08 PM BST
henderson is a good penalty saver

big mistake by Ole
Report olddesperado May 26, 2021 11:09 PM BST
He won't tell me HGS,  I'm on his blocked list.
Report rothko May 26, 2021 11:13 PM BST
wheres Lou ?
Report Capt__F May 26, 2021 11:20 PM BST
unblocking
Report grumpyjim May 26, 2021 11:23 PM BST
n   never under estimate even  7th .... placed ... La Liga  ..side .  ...Surely  OGS  has had a more than fair share of showing if he has potential .. and must have blown it tonight .. GOOD try but games about ..... WINNING THINGS AT    UNITED ...  ..  .  THATS IT OVER  ..
Report olddesperado May 26, 2021 11:25 PM BST
Agreed Jim,  just hasn't got it imo.
Report the_don May 26, 2021 11:27 PM BST
Should have gone on after equalising and won it in 90 but didn't keep them under pressure for long enough or create enough. Obviously their plan to slow things and defend in numbers - no problem with that and not for the first time we didn't have the answers.

Extra time was dreadful - tired legs? Villareal seemed to get a boost of energy with their subs. Obviously little faith in the fringe players to make a contribution. Doubt we'll play a team of that standard in a final for a good while so it's a big chance missed to bag a trophy. Roll on next season.
Report HGS May 26, 2021 11:32 PM BST
It should be jim but not everybody sees it. Most of the mancs I know do. That was a proper poor performance and result tonight, and has been said already, some of the selections/subs are mind blowing. For reasons other than recovering from open wallet surgery, please keep him.
Report grumpyjim May 26, 2021 11:39 PM BST
TONIGHT was a Win only nothing else .. for OGS ..   SO far all the good managers great c.v. rolled up but not even ONE SET ..   . ... OF  11 plus subs  to make united requirements ..  VILLAREAL UNBEATEN STILL IN THE COMPETITION  ...........    JUST TIPPED THE SCALES IN THEIR FAVOUR .. Well Done TO them  ... VERY PASSIONATE MANAGER ...
Report grumpyjim May 26, 2021 11:48 PM BST
Unable to KEEP OGS  .. BULLET POINTS ARE SHREDDED TO PIECES .. NO strength  in the squad .. even subs  dont improve our lot ..  ...and its pretty sad .. so far .. GOOD DAY AT OFFICE ?? NO .
Report cruso May 26, 2021 11:48 PM BST
There was a time when opinions were left until the dust had settled .. a day later.. never seen the thread so busy on a match night...
Heres mine..
Ole.. Like him  but is he a coach..?  Spends most of the game slouched in his seat .. I like him but I dont like that... have to stick with him for the foreseeable though.
The bench... Nothing on it that looked capable of changing the game, so much for the supposed ( one of )strongest squad in th ePrem..
Was hoping Ole might have the bottle to swap goalies for the shootout.. it worked for Louis in the World Cup and I think Henderson would have saved one out of eleven.
For workrate Cavani puts the rest to shame, wish he was about 6 years younger..
Rashford... Odd moments of great skill but seems often distracted.
Bruno.. not his best night but he was trying and where would we be without him?
Harry.... much maligned ( mainly because of the price tag ) but missed
Pogba ................??

Then again, if we had won 11-10 on pens it would be a different pic.
Oles recent comment about trophies not being that important may come back to bite him..
Report HGS May 26, 2021 11:54 PM BST
cruso, good point re;subbing the goalie before the shootout. Could have worked but not certain. Tuther thread highlights de gea pen save record which is nowt short of woeful so could have worked out. If he was subbed, I doubt you would have seen him again though and in his shoes understandably  so.
Report cruso May 26, 2021 11:57 PM BST
Ole once said ..."my job is not to keep players happy"
Report cruso May 27, 2021 12:00 AM BST
If Henderson is to be be the No 1 going forward, maybe he should have started anyway.
Having said that De Gea played great last week but penalties..? No No No
Report HGS May 27, 2021 12:05 AM BST
Why does he keep swapping them then? Pick a number 1 and stick to it. I know this a cup comp, but Henderson started in the cups. Believe his available first team started tonight including de Gea. I think ideally he wanted Henderson to step up and ultimately, he thought not and resorted to type.

Look on the bright side, you are not lacking between the sticks. Lou asked what Romero ever did wrong and I have to agree. Is weird, how he never got a proper chance.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B May 27, 2021 12:21 AM BST
Just finished watching it as busy earlier with boiler packed up!

My thoughts:

Firstly I thought their goal was awful.  A chip into the middle, every one of our players defending.  It goes over all of them and their guy taps it in from three yards out.  Someone must have been marking him so for me it's his fault simple as that.  Really bad goal to concede.

Secondly surely United were the better of the two sides although they were poor themselves.  Think De Gea could have just gone off and had a cuppa, did he get a touch in the game at all after their goal?  Once again United huffed and puffed but their keeper did just nothing really either.  I don't blame United for that too much though as they just retreated with about 137 defenders and United never got close really to getting through them.  We've seen it many times earlier in the season with United, Liverpool.  These teams pack the defence and you just can't get through it's so difficult.  I truly believe we could get Eleven guys from this forum to pack the defence and sides would struggle to get through us I really do.  Very frustrating.

Thought the defence did ok apart from the goal.  Pogba not too bad, Greenwood and Cavani offered something too with Mctominnay the one good performance on the night.  Bruno however never got a mention AGAIN and Rashford was simply hopeless.  One little trick came off in the whole game and the rest was shockingly bad from him.

Extra time we lost impotus and suddenly they looked the more likely but a really poor game all round.

Don't blame any player (from either side) to miss a penalty, specially a Keeper so forget that we've just got beat on the night on Penalties so fair enough. 

Have to say though that as good as a shot stopper that De Gea is he never sniffed any of them.  Sort of half hearted dives and almost never seemed too bothered whereas their keeper really tried and almost saved two or three.  Make an effort David at least!

Shame, I thought we'd win tonight as Villareal are the 7th best team in Spain.  I say this a lot but I'm dead serious I HONESTLY STILL couldn't tell you the name of one of their players so very poor from United.

Oh well there's always next season.

Cheers
Report REDUNDANT PUNTER May 27, 2021 9:42 AM BST
Well that’s a season over and finished and on reflection a place cemented as second best team in the city another season with no trophies have to start again and try to overhaul city hard to see it happening any time soon based on footballing prowess might take something like a world pandemic to change the status quo oh wait ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cheer up it’s only footy
Report olddesperado May 27, 2021 10:19 AM BST
All this talk of rashford playing injured since Sept is crazy on so many levels.

If he is why not get him treated sooner.

Performance and attitude hint he is but then it's up to ole to sort it.

Martial want injured until Feb.

And if he's so injured his performances are this bad then why go to the euro's giving him just 3 weeks before next season and repeating the same thing over again.

Rest him now or operate or whatever needs done so we don't have to listen to these will do better next time excuses again.

The ineptitude around this club is astounding tbh and ole Carrick and McKenna make Larry mo and curley look intelligent.
Report grumpyjim May 27, 2021 11:30 AM BST
rookie manager gets you the results we have watched .. we had great managers that gave up with this lot   no surprise their . TIME to face the truth .. World Class be safe to say none at moment .. DE GEA  .. always really liked him as last man .. HE has dropped to pub team status .. You go in half hearted at tackles you come out worst .. thats another problem .. You tackle knowing you are a WINNER  not to get stuffed every time .. Urgency  never seen it lately .. think he was a non Runner .   OLE G S  ,, is well out of his depth .. Loved as a player .. ? HE IF ANYONE should know the full SP   The oposing Manager up and down the track like a scalded cat .. while our man mainly  ,,,,,,,,,Absent ..  .  back to first manager after SAF  .. HE LET EVERYONE  ,,,AWAY  against sound advice and the rot set in quickly ..Brought in similar to what we watch now  ..not good enough .. on and on it goes .. DO NOT BLAME PLAYERS ALL THE TIME  .. look higher up the tree .. BRANCHES LEAVES CHESTNUTS MAYBE  ?... A big nettle that needs grasped to get best out of this squad and OGS  .. unable to get a settled team  . hopeless firing from the Bench .. nobody anywhere near match winner amongst them .. NEW SHEET OF WHIT PAPER START AGAIN .. FOR ME ...   SAD 8 years  no  9 just .. ahead .. HELP ..  Sharp players seldom need to see a trainer .kit man on the park .. RANT OVER .
Report olddesperado May 27, 2021 2:45 PM BST
The club is run so badly it's a joke Jim.

Jobs for the boys so no one says anything to rock the boat.

Ole Carrick Fletcher phelan McKenna etc all know each other for years and will never rock the boat or call something out.

The farce where Mata can decide if he wants a new contract or not sums us up.
A player who hardly plays can tie up 100k wages and a squad place through sentiment.

Giving Jones a contract to inflate the books assets,

Giving a clearly on the wane de gea a contract that dwarfs his previous one and nearly 3 times what Bruno is on.

Talk of Pogba a serial underachiever topping de gea's contract to persuade him to stay.

Allowing an apparently injured rashford to play every game all season and now allowing him go to the euro's so he will still need an operation next season.

We can't get signings we need over the line so sign players we don't need or want to compensate 're beek and then pay the price of very good players for emerging talent that might or might not kick on and be ready in a few years time for the first team.

It really is a shambles.
Report duffy May 27, 2021 2:47 PM BST
If you want to get the answer to a lot of these problems surrounding the manager it doesn't hurt to rewind right back to his appointment and the circumstances surrounding it.

In the owners eyes Ole was not appointed on managerial capability grounds, they had just experienced a manager in Mourinho who constantly held them to account, would not back down from making demands and was happy to let everyone know that the group of players were not up to scratch, remember his claim that getting 2nd with this United team was one of his greatest achievements!!!

The owners had enough of the pressure that Mourinho brought and decided that priority number one was to make sure the next guy in would be far more maliable and Ole fitted that particular bill, a guy happy just to be there, a guy who wouldn't question or pressure the owners, a guy who would be happy with his lot.

When he first came in it was under the guise of an interim manager as it would have been incredulous to give a permanent position to a man so poorly qualified for the job, the owners hoped he'd give them even a glimmer of an excuse to appoint him permanently although he was always going to get the job anyway.

He gave them an excuse, but they hammed it up by waiting to appoint, probably in no small part because a number of fans were suckered into the ruse and actually called for his appointment, (guys on here did) and Ed would have enjoyed milking the euphoria building.

A crucial thing then happened which gave the game away and revealed the owners true intentions all along, Ole hit a rocky spell with poor performances and it was only now, panicked that the slide would continue and it would be made ever more difficult to give him the job on the back of a bad run, that the board rushed to give him the job full time.

So how has it gone, well Ole has been no better or worse than the managers who came before him, we have been hopeless ever since SAF left and remain so, this period in our history and it still continues will be remembered as a void.

In the owners eyes Ole has done his job, they never needed to go after a proper top class coach who may make their job difficult because they didn't need performance on the pitch, the commercial side of things would always look after itself, the sponsors would keep rolling in, the money would keep rolling in.

Something has perhaps changed now though and might see the board do the right thing in removing Ole but for the wrong reasons. The recent Super League debacle and the demonstrations has seen some sponsors start to question United and turn away, the single thing that frightens these owners has finally happened and to remedy this they must first endeavour to get fans back on side which means improving what happens on the pitch in a bid to temper down the unrest which in turn will attract the sponsors back.

To do this they will know that they at last must turn to a more qualified and capable manager to steer the ship even if that guy holds them to account, let's see if they do.!!!
Report olddesperado May 27, 2021 2:53 PM BST
Ole saying he is proud of the courage effort and determination of his players.

Contrast that to fergie ranting over his Aberdeen sides performance when they won the Scottish cup.

Mediocre runs through the club from top to bottom but it's alright because they are hurting and determined to do better next year.
Report olddesperado May 27, 2021 2:58 PM BST
Great post Duffy,

I was one of those that called for him to get the job I'm sorry to say.
Report olddesperado May 27, 2021 3:02 PM BST
I don't think they will replace him though.

I'd imagine they hope a signing or two might appease the fans or it might die out anyway through the apathy of the returning fans.
Report duffy May 27, 2021 3:17 PM BST
Cheers oldesp,

Spurs today looking like Poch is going back, what a great opportunity now existing to attempt to nab him from them, which in turn might pave the way to Kane too.

United should act on this.
Report TheBetterBettor May 27, 2021 3:44 PM BST
Report olddesperado May 27, 2021 3:54 PM BST
Subterfuge don't you know.

Don't mess with him tbb because he would do it again in a heart beat I believe.
Report HGS May 27, 2021 6:06 PM BST
Some honest reasoned posts  here.
Report pushkin99 May 27, 2021 6:49 PM BST
no doubt thebiterbighter will come running along soon, to explain that United cherry picked not winning 'the Europen equivalent of the mickey mouse cup' as he so likes to call it Laugh
Report The Dragon May 27, 2021 7:00 PM BST
ole was never going to be good enough for a club of uniteds stature. they should replace him if they want to imptrove. hes a great guy but not a top coach a few managers are on the market now and i think utd need to move. i dont think they will and will not be winning anything soon unless they change managerial direction
Report olddesperado May 27, 2021 8:04 PM BST
What is up with some people ?

I'd say I've been Rashford's biggest critic on here the last few months but football is just a game.

Criticise the effort,  the skill level or the decision making or even the selfish attitude or untouchable status but to racially abuse him is sick in this day and age.

His football star might be fading but he's a smart decent human being who deserves better than the abuse what he got làst night.

One guy that sent him monkey emoji's was a school teacher with an open profile.

At least he won't be teaching much again.
Report The Dragon May 27, 2021 8:06 PM BST
spot on olddCool
Report HGS May 27, 2021 8:21 PM BST
Mindless Sad
Report pushkin99 May 27, 2021 8:32 PM BST
I don't offen agree with u Old, but on this ocassion u are spot on.

We don't need this racist filth in our society. Fullstop.
Report olddesperado May 27, 2021 8:44 PM BST
I think the reason I'm so pizzed off by last night is the recurring nature of it all.

The same mistakes , same issues, same failure to learn or address any from previous games etc.

A year and a half we've been conceding goals like that but there seems to be no effort to solve or try combat it.
The abject failure to have a plan B against a packed defence.

The abject failure to make a sub to try change a games direction.

The failure to identify players not performing and remove them or fire a rocket up them.

The failure to identify de gea had conceded his previous 29 penalties before last night (40 now ) and Henderson had saved I think 8 from 19 that he faced yet no one thought it worth a change.

The failure to inform Bruno that teams going first won 60 % of shoot outs.
He won the toss and elected to go second.

It might not seem much but he basically made us a 6/4 shot rather than an 8/13 shot.

All these little things add up and erode the advantage of having better players.

And it will continue into next season too because the management don't learn or address issues as the arise.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B May 27, 2021 9:35 PM BST
When you say get back Pocchetino as he's a much better manager.  Look what he's done this year.  In a league that's really a one horse race, specially with all of PSG's money and superstar players ............ they finished second!

But where was the great Pocc' to wave his magic wand there?
Report PorcupineorPineapple May 28, 2021 8:59 AM BST
Got to say, looking back on it all, I've been a little bit harsh on Ole. Not massively. But I don't think he's as bad as I thought 12 months ago. He's managed to get a tune out of Pogba, and turned a mediocre bunch of players into a fairly efficient team by employing a system that suited them well.

Don't get me wrong, 2nd has massively flattered Utd. Liverpool have had a freak season (btw, Hills have both teams the same price for next season and I'm trying to persuade the missus to let me re-mortgage the house for their h2h price), and Chelsea are clearly better now they've got an adult in charge. And his non-use of subs on wednesday was utterly bizarre; it just handed the initiative to them in extra time.

I still don't think he's much cop and hope he's in charge for a while yet, but I have to accept he did an ok job this season.

As for Utd, the problems run much deeper. As stated, Ole and the staff are there because they're yes men and don't have a prayer of being employed at a similar level elsewhere. But it's upstairs that needs sorting. It's not so much the money the Glazers have taken out, as Utd will once again be one of the big spenders this summer, it's more the culture and the lack of hunger in making the team a success. That's the big difference between them and FSG imo. Yes, they're money-grubbing yanks wanting to sweat their asset to the fullest, but you can see with FSG a genuine desire to win things and be successful, not just tick along and collect the pay cheques. Until that attitude changes Utd will continue to be also rans.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B May 28, 2021 9:02 AM BST
PP

Yes a fair observation.  I know you're not exactly United's greatest fan obviously, the same as I'm not Liverpool's but I agree with a lot of what you say there.
Report grumpyjim May 28, 2021 11:14 AM BST
Any top manager could have knocked our lot into better shape ,, all said and done  .. we pay a huge price for this lot .. Caretaker Manager ..  ..AT  UNITED .  We deserve much better with more knowledge ,and better standing than our man . 10 WINS got him the job . Probably for good .. No thanks to GLAZERS  as they pay for a service this backroom lot never achieved ..   ..YES they mostly hit the cross bar and near misses ... BUT THEY DONT COUNT  .. LOOK back the posts VILAREAL  no push over for us  ,on a BAD DAY  FOR US  at the OFFICE    .. BIG CHARLIE TYPES  dont suit our standing   in game we always had no less than 8  champion level players on the park .. Playing for each other ... TOO  many  spoil the BROTH ..  as we well know  ..   Must be near impossible for a MANAGER to talk to them .. OGS  is no SAF  .nor in same breath .. LOOK back to SIR ALEX  SO MANY YEARS  ,,,Never had it easy .. was 51 to 49 to keep his job when things were going wrong had to toughen his stance big time at that stage to become the success he then enjoyed .. and fearless at DROPPING  , and lAYING  MANY ON SIDELINE  ,,  and GOOD RIDDANCE to those that under performed .. not about for long once they chirped back .. The way it has to be for success we  .....Crave ..   And yes he had to run with passengers very very often ,.. OFTEN 2 OR 3 ..  NAME OF THE GAME FOOTBALL .. ELITE ..
Report pushkin99 May 28, 2021 11:57 AM BST

May 27, 2021 -- 9:44AM, TheBetterBettor wrote:

Apologies to the many decent United fans on the forum, but u have the super troll, thebitterbighter, to thank for me posting this response on your thread, as he remains unable to understand the following and contues to troll and stalk me:

It was great fun pretending to be a saints fan for a couple of months almost 10 years ago in February 2012.

In virtually every post defending Liverpool, Liverpudlian's and Liverpool FC from some of the forums most notorious trolls, including pbk/muffdan, wetbender, ratkins and thebitterbighter. I loved every moment of this, taking these trolls to task and holding them to account for their bigotry. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Anyone could easily have rumbled my game in targeting these trolls while defending Liverpool, but this well beyond pbk/muffdan, wetbender, ratkins and thebitterbighter.

[b]As thebitterbighter is unlikley to take in and understand this post I will repeat this message so long as thebitterbighter, or his ilk, continue to stalk me.[b]

Report duffy May 28, 2021 1:26 PM BST
He's managed to get a tune out of Pogba,

Jog my memory, when was that?
Report grumpyjim May 28, 2021 5:53 PM BST
stuck in a cocoon with high earners .. And last few weeks have made some even bigger earners .. Failure means almost successful at united .. .. Pogba VERY VERY Good player ..? sometimes Yes .more often No .  ..
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B May 28, 2021 6:03 PM BST
To be honest I don't think Pogba at his best is that great at all.  Relies on his sheer size and can knock a nice pass sometimes but that's it.  Now that's on a good day but on a bad day he may as well be playing for the Sunday pub side.

Get rid as quick as possible I say, the amount they paid for him was such a bad mistake.
Report grumpyjim May 28, 2021 10:15 PM BST
money must dry up in the game ..as we see already them thats spent plenty ...its coming back to bite them .. Hence the break up thats still ongoing .. MONEY THROWN AT THAT will pay off most of their Debt .. it is all down to pushing boat out too far ..  for too long .. NEVER BE BACK AT TOP LEVELL STADIUMS AGAIN ..   TV  for me no more cold rainy days high winds snowing etc .. Got all the T SHIRTS I NEED  .. BEAUTIFUL GAME IS SERIOUSLY TARNISHED NOW  .
Report grumpyjim May 29, 2021 12:34 PM BST
this could be another non event .   90 minutes with nothing happening ..        30  ..More minutes . still no result ..  21 penalties scored very quickly .. AND LAST MAN DE GEA  MISSES  .  this could well be another  .....BOOKIE BONANZA .. they must love ,,,,,,,  Man United ... ..... Today the Man City .. may well fill the Coffers ..  Enjoy the game ,LETS hope it finishes without any trouble ..Best not fuel the Media fire .. PEACEFULLY  PLEASE ..  ..
Report olddesperado May 29, 2021 11:28 PM BST
Thomas tuchal was available for a few months, 
Poch available for about a year
Plenty others available now ,

We are giving ole a new contract despite him having a year left on his current one.

Lol ,  Who is likely to pinch him ?

Tuchal wins with probably the two worst strikers I've seen but he has thus defence sorted   his style implemented and he stays on the touchline tweaking his team and players all the time.

Subs off two of the big names to counteract city's changes.

Oh for a manager who manages.
Report PorcupineorPineapple May 30, 2021 12:19 AM BST
For the benefit of you know who, that was a game and cup won by a manager.

Someone who's studied City, had a plan and got his team to enact it. Fair play to Tuchel. If you hadn't seen the table you'd have said Chelsea were the better side as they just had City in their pocket. Like prime Rafa that.
Report Capt__F May 30, 2021 12:20 AM BST
7/10
Report olddesperado May 30, 2021 12:33 AM BST
Tries to be accurate and honest so not quite a 7.

6.5 . Devil
Report grumpyjim May 30, 2021 10:56 AM BST
old d    we are in limbo for along time yet .. OGS  is clueless THESE YOUNG aggressive guys are the future .. Too easy to throw  MONEY away at UNITED .. .. for what has been poor value .. Where does LAMPART  GO next after his ex team win with a good young manager who can MANAGE  .. ??  He   ..Tuchel    more fun than watching Klopff   well almost .. Bring a ray of sunshine into the proceedings  .. ONLY LEFT GAME  to walk the dog and straight back to watch it never missed a kick wherever it landed .. Worth every penny for Chelsea fans to land the BIG ONE ..  .Well done to the team   and all the backroom staff .. All looked steeped in the footie game for what its worth .. 10  out of 10   from  ,,,,,grumpyjim .   Never Happen Again . ...............lifetime now too short .. ?
Report HGS May 30, 2021 11:34 AM BST
Oh for a manager who manages.

Quite!
Report olddesperado May 30, 2021 11:55 AM BST
I was all for ole in the beginning but by God he's been a major disappointment.

He's just unfortunately no where near good enough and the biggest issue is he appears to not learn from mistakes or be aware what is or might be happening on the pitch.

He looks frozen once a game starts and his often comments about someone playing well or us being in control when clearly we weren't kind of typifies his state of mind during games.

He's about 8 years managing now between all his teams so is unlikely to learn now unfortunately.
Report TheBetterBettor May 30, 2021 1:27 PM BST
one for the tourists on this thread.....

Report PorcupineorPineapple May 30, 2021 2:11 PM BST

I'll pass it on.
Report grumpyjim May 30, 2021 2:52 PM BST
a while since we watched a Manager that knows his onions ..  CHELSEA  wont be much 4 to 1  in future .  whats the league price must be worth a shot to nothing ..their goal keeper jumps for a ball its so high he could catch pigeons .. OUR Players jump 6 inches  for a ball in the air  right next to them they get ......... ..  Dizzy .
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B May 31, 2021 7:02 PM BST
Chelsea are 11/2 to win the league next season.  Liverpool same price.  United 10/1 and City favourites by a mile at 5/6.
Report grumpyjim May 31, 2021 11:53 PM BST
United on the back of the manager at .   at 10 to 1 ....United to  to win the league soon ..  this season ahead .. must be our turn .. or we are near  ...DOOMED ..Chelsea owner looked well chuffed on SAT night .. and he has plenty ammunition for his Man ,,,,,,,now you would think .
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 1, 2021 1:33 PM BST
Don't understand why United would want to sign Ronaldo back and can't see it happening.  He left us about 12/13 years ago? and whilst he's been the best player I've ever seen at United and gone on to unbelievable success he's obviously not the same player these days.  Four or five years ago maybe but at 36 he's coming to the end now.

I think he'll end up in China or the MLS something like that.

Thanks for the memories though Christiano.
Report duffy June 1, 2021 4:07 PM BST
LOU MACARIS TARTAN B 01 Jun 21 12:33 
Don't understand why United would want to sign Ronaldo back

That suggests that you still do not understand our owners
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 1, 2021 4:10 PM BST
duffy

Bar shirt selling I can't understand how he would get in our team then.
Report duffy June 1, 2021 4:32 PM BST
At the risk of contradicting myselfGrin I think he'd warrant a place in out current team, I mean Rashford is shot to bits for starters.

And if he didn't warrant a place the owners would instruct OGS to pick him anyway, this would all be agreed when he signed on.

He would not be coming to us to sit on the bench.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 1, 2021 4:36 PM BST
Well in my opinion I wouldn't sign him full stop.
Report rommel June 1, 2021 4:43 PM BST
duff bang on,i still dont get rashford,what does he do?
Report duffy June 1, 2021 5:12 PM BST
He does a nice sideline in packed lunches, unfortunately it has impacted his day job.
Report PorcupineorPineapple June 1, 2021 5:24 PM BST
Rashford - lovely bloke, average footballer. Very hard to get rid of him now though given his profile outside of the game.

Ronaldo's legs are gone but he's basically a Cavani x 10. If he came back he'd be top scorer by about 5 clear goals I reckon. He'd probably want a 2 or 3 year deal and would be top earner, but he'll get you lots and lots of goals still.

And I'm pretty sure he won't be going to the MLSMischief
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 1, 2021 5:35 PM BST
PP

I disagree.  Hope that's ok.
Report rommel June 1, 2021 5:49 PM BST
cant see ronny boy going to a really sub league like mls,he's got wonga coming ooot his ears,doesnt need the ignomony...
Report duffy June 1, 2021 5:58 PM BST
MLS used to be a retirement home for top European players who could no longer warrant a place in a top European side, in recent years United have become a sort of Pre retirement home where certain players could, negotiate a very healthy contract and because of the paucity of competition through the player ranks, still warrant a regular place in the team.

The fact that these aged players then went on to flourish in the team speaks a lot about the quality that they were up against both within the team and from opposing sides.

More broadly speaking the depth of quality around Europe at the moment is as low as I can remember it so the class of real top players can see them extend their careers at the top level longer than it probably should.

The fact that United's owners are predisposed toward these types of heavy merch driving players means that we'll probably see more and more zimmer frames parked outside OT through the next couple of years.
Report duffy June 1, 2021 6:00 PM BST
We could become a footballing version of the expendables.
Report rommel June 1, 2021 6:29 PM BST
everyone happy to stick with Olly?
Report grumpyjim June 1, 2021 7:44 PM BST
Christiano  Ronaldo Still looks after himself very very well .. Still has some interests in MANCS  Area  ..  Never forgot his time at UNITED  Thats good enough for me ..  Januzaj and many more have come and gone .. We have a few outs waiting at door right now as their time is up and BEST GO   . for the sake of getting a game .. ELSEWHERE  .. Rashford needs to concentrate on place in future as its dire as it is .  Not enough to have an odd game play OK  .. much more is required .. Not naming the others to hurt the club ..  Sorry state we find ourselves .. in and  ,,serious decisions on futures .. must be soon .. YEAR 9   ...facing us in the season ahead ..IF OGS  .. canny win this premiership from season KICK OFF  then he must be moved on  or  out . ? ASAP   .. Not looking forward to season aheads as it stands at moment that says a LOT ..
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B June 1, 2021 9:04 PM BST
duffy

Yes I agree with most of that well put.
Report grumpyjim June 5, 2021 11:11 PM BST
Looks like we are about to throw plenty at the holes in the team .. England manager looks under pressure and a serious ball to kick is more than a week away .. See him very much a thinker manager .. as always looks somewhere in the Front of him or to side to answer simple questions .. Looking for at least 4 to 6 decent squads .. propping   UP  ....this year late tournament  . Injuries seem to be very much to the fore after a very difficult season just finished .. Looking forward to  What Players and Agents conjure up in these delicate times .. Found myself buying an ordinary  Decent plastic  euro ,,, 2020 ,,, BAG .FOR SHOPS.2 quid .. green and white .   only two colours . thought ,,,Grandson  might like it to throw his gear in ..  CARREFOUR  . ?  KEPT THEM FOR  12 months .. ?
Report scaredmoney June 12, 2021 9:55 PM BST
This Lukaku chap for Belgium looks half decent?
Report grumpyjim June 13, 2021 10:05 AM BST
not sure he wanted to be at united ..?  he is 39 now  ..can do well keeping ball and fending off defence ..   Had a good career out of the game .. Looked leaner and cleaner last night ..
Report rommel June 13, 2021 10:09 AM BST
29* jim
Report grumpyjim June 13, 2021 10:16 AM BST
played at united he sure looked a lot older and stiffer .. Believe it or not united  have had plenty who were worse .. And still have plenty under perform  .. SEE How Rashford gets on today ..   IF HE PLAYS ??
Report grumpyjim June 13, 2021 10:21 AM BST
Stacking money away every week knocks all the sharp edges off their game .. United have gone soft .. after ... SAF  ........... // England MANAGER  doesnt do much for me as a POWERFUL   .. HANDLER OF MEN ..ON HUGE MONEY  ..
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com