Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rothko
07 Jul 18 23:30
| Topic/replies: 3,413 | Blogger: rothko's blog
thought he was second MOM after maguire

what a performance

ran the swedish  centre halfs all over the pitch

brilliant LoveLoveLove
Pause Switch to Standard View Raheem Sterling
Show More
Report ericster July 9, 2018 5:20 PM BST
Maybe he's trying too hard just needs to calm himself. It has been said that the team has grown into the competition maybe not so Sterling.
Report mesmerised July 9, 2018 5:46 PM BST
Report skygreenzone July 9, 2018 7:15 PM BST
Lets hope he gets the winner on weds,and shuts up the mugs.
Report howard July 9, 2018 7:20 PM BST
nowt to do with confidence. But he puts a shift in and worries other teams. Should be told to find a teamate if at all possible.
Report kincsem July 9, 2018 8:07 PM BST
I'm am not  a fan, but as a poster pointed out above, Sterling does go forward.
Passing the ball sideways to build up your passing stat percentage wins nothing.
Headless chicken / roadrunner but he does cause panic (some of it to himself) Silly
Report impossible123 July 9, 2018 9:18 PM BST
Sterling is 8/1 to score 1st goal, and 300/1 for a hattrick.
Report Charlton2005 July 9, 2018 10:14 PM BST
ericster
Date Joined:    10 Mar 02
Add contact | Send message
09 Jul 18 17:04 Joined: 10 Mar 02 | Topic/replies: 1,326 | Blogger: ericster's blog
Maybe destiny is saving RS for the final.

maybe, but on the small chance england make the final, i'll be betting on the opposite
Report Hamsterdam July 9, 2018 10:30 PM BST
He runs at defenders causes havoc, problems, travels like a bird with the ball...our best player behind Kane...we need him, Man City need him.

People with simplistic footballing minds will only see the easy chances he misses and not the rest...same kind of people who watch Super Hero action Films but wouldn't enjoy Schindler's List, for example.

Their footballing brains aren't developed enough to pick up the nuances of what he brings.
Report mesmerised July 9, 2018 11:17 PM BST
nuances - that's just a term ripped from Stan Collymore's rant against Anti Sterling fans.

He was through on goal, just about controlled a ball, couldn't round the keeper, then had 2 players to pass to, he chose not to, made another attempt to round the keeper instead and had another failed shot.

He was bullied off of the ball a couple of times by Swedish players and misplaced 5/6 easy passes

Trippier made a great run but he didn't play him through.

His link up play with Kane is not that good, I don't know the stats but he doesn't seem to pass to him often.

Cannot finish a half decent chance for love nor money.

What he does do well is run, and running and pulling players out of position was easy against Sweden because most of the time he was taking on 33 year old Granqvist. He is more of a team player than Vardy who doesn't think about coming short to pick up a pass to move it on, he's an out and out striker but Rashford could be just as adept in that role, and he can finish.

You can get away with missed chances against sides like Sweden and Panama but Croatia are big step up, and if you're a poor finisher in a striker role in the semi of a World Cup, the writing is on the wall. There's only so long you can get away with it. No amount of drawing attention to other aspects of his game will take away from his poor record in front of goal if we were knocked out.

I would like to see him score against Croatia as well, nobody is Anti Sterling because he's black either, lots of people don't rate Jordan Henderson and he's white. He receives less criticism because he's role doesn't frustrate fans.
Report Hamsterdam July 9, 2018 11:39 PM BST
Are you going to tell Pep Guardiola to drop him as well after winning the EPL by 20 odd points? Doesn't matter to me if he scores or not...it matters he's there causing issues.. always busy, always involved. This is why you spot so many glaring errors. You are missing a nuance.

People in this country until they were recently educated used to hit Edinson Cavani with the same stick...misses sitters etc this is because he's always in the right place at the right time...always involved, always busy.
Report Charlton2005 July 9, 2018 11:42 PM BST
Hamsterdam 09 Jul 18 23:39 Joined: 03 Nov 11 | Topic/replies: 12,890 | Blogger: Hamsterdam's blog
Are you going to tell Pep Guardiola to drop him as well after winning the EPL by 20 odd points? Doesn't matter to me if he scores or not...it matters he's there causing issues.. always busy, always involved. This is why you spot so many glaring errors. You are missing a nuance.

People in this country until they were recently educated used to hit Edinson Cavani with the same stick...misses sitters etc this is because he's always in the right place at the right time...always involved, always busy.

i think i have now officially heard it all

the more open goals you miss the better player you are LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report mesmerised July 9, 2018 11:50 PM BST
I don't remember people berating Cavani, he's always been top drawer and his goal records stands up for Napoli and PSG.

You're not telling us anything we don't all ready know, we know what he does off the ball, attention is being drawn to his finishing - and that will be a problem the higher quality opposition he faces for England.

The difference for Man City is that a) Sterling, Pep, and all of the other players there have had a substantial period of time to work together and far longer than this current group of England players - Man City and Sterling finished 15 points from 1st place in Peps first season, that period of time obv stood them in good stead for the following season, this tournament is max 7 games, not 38+.

b) The way Man City play, completely dominate the ball, there are going to create many more chances so they can afford to miss many, England will be 50/50 with the ball in possession v Croatia, and you can't afford to waste as many chances, and that's why Sterling's prominent role is scrutised for England, and as said earlier in the thread, his decision making is poor. Probably something Guardiola is still trying to work with him on, he's hardly the finished article as City.

Pointing to success at City means nothing, it's just lazy.
Report FatherMaguire July 9, 2018 11:50 PM BST
If sterlings runs create a number of chances that are saved, chances are he will create a few corners - this seems to be where the majority of our goals are coming from so bring it on

Rashford is footballs equivalent of Graeme Hick - his stock is rising when he is out the team, and everyone talks about how amazing he is - he is undoubtedly a good player, but the way people are talking him up is nuts - he's nowhere near as good as most people are saying
Report enpassant July 9, 2018 11:54 PM BST
I have to admit I have changed my mind on him in this England side. I wouldn't want him at my club because he is first an athlete and second a footballer; he is not technical at all. That was why I wanted him dropped for Rashford. He also has issues but he is a better footballer than Sterling. Sterling certainly brings chaos to opposition defences and we are set in a pattern of play so I think we cannot change it for now. There is also the chance he will score and the team will likely mob him to show support which may lift the team even higher. If things start to go wrong and Rashford takes his chance so be it but for Wednesday we should start Sterling imo - a week ago I simply wouldn't
have countenanced saying that.
Report going skint July 10, 2018 1:26 AM BST
little gangsta raheen is likely to be on many clubs target list after the wc
teams all around europe seeking that most valued team member - a striker that never scores

right up there with midfielders that cant pass
defenders that cant tackle
and keepers that cant dive
Report lurka July 10, 2018 7:35 AM BST
Who is missing something? The person who spots the many glaring errors or the person who chooses to ignore them and instead concentrates on stuff like running with the ball and off the ball and then claims to have a more cultured view of football than the rest of us?

Will you get off your high horse you fecking mug. It's fellow pros getting behind the team and not wanting to slate a player. Do you think they are all saying that to each other behind the scenes? His ball control and decision making have been awful at times. He offers something but is nowhere near second best player. What about Trippier and Maguire for example? I woudn't even have Kane as best player tbh. Been the most important player and done his job well but other than penalties he hasn't done much, not really his fault as the service from players like Sterling has been scant.
Report Charlton2005 July 10, 2018 7:40 AM BST
spot on lurka

moronic comments about how good he is cos he misses so many sitters. ffs. like an argument in political correctness
Report lfc1971 July 10, 2018 8:10 AM BST
He should stop that soppy smile on his face every time he misses , you woukd think he was surprised and it wasn’t his fault
Very annoying
Report CLYDEBANK29 July 10, 2018 9:03 AM BST
Toss up to me between Henderson and Kane who is the most important player in this England team.  Trippier has been excellent but he's got a like for like replacement.  Sterling has done ok, but clearly he has a mental isuue surrounding getting a goal for England now.
Report impossible123 July 10, 2018 2:05 PM BST
Maybe what I'm about to type will be ridiculed and possibly censored nevertheless, I'd do so about Sterling: it's about the "rifle" tattooed on his right leg (I believe) as a remembrance of a loved one of his, if I'd read correctly.

Why a tattoo of something that took one of his beloved's life? Personally, that would be something I'd not have on myself at all. If anything I'd have had nothing to do with such a vile object on any part of me.
Report mesmerised July 10, 2018 2:23 PM BST
If you replaced Henderson with Dier, you wouldn't notice the difference.
Report Twoboyz July 10, 2018 2:26 PM BST
do you really believe that Mesmerised?
Report mesmerised July 10, 2018 2:31 PM BST
it was 50/50 between which one of them would start said Southgate, paraphrasing.
Report crepello July 10, 2018 3:54 PM BST
mesmerised    Joined: 10 Nov 10
Replies: 28257 10 Jul 18 14:23 
If you replaced Henderson with Dier, you wouldn't notice the difference.

Totally disagree - Dier plods about never getting out of second gear - Henderson has his limitations but is reliable and always puts in a shift .....
Report lurka July 10, 2018 5:36 PM BST
They replaced Henderson with Dier for the last 10 mins against Colombia and were overrun, they switched Henderson back to that role in ET after Colombia were on top in the first half of ET and they got it together again
Report geordie1956 July 10, 2018 6:17 PM BST
Our keeper and the Centre Backs will be crucial in the semi and hopefully the final
Report rothko July 10, 2018 8:02 PM BST
henderson miles better than Dier in centre mid

Ive seen oil tankers turn faster than Dier

the only time ive seen him comfortable in the system england play is when he has dropped in at centre back
Report betting_masta July 10, 2018 9:11 PM BST

Jul 10, 2018 -- 12:54AM, enpassant wrote:

I have to admit I have changed my mind on him in this England side. I wouldn't want him at my club because he is first an athlete and second a footballer; he is not technical at all. That was why I wanted him dropped for Rashford. He also has issues but he is a better footballer than Sterling. Sterling certainly brings chaos to opposition defences and we are set in a pattern of play so I think we cannot change it for now. There is also the chance he will score and the team will likely mob him to show support which may lift the team even higher. If things start to go wrong and Rashford takes his chance so be it but for Wednesday we should start Sterling imo - a week ago I simply wouldn't have countenanced saying that.

agree - he's played every minute bar the belgium game, he's got the shirt, let him keep it and prove everybody wrong. i don't think rashford is ready to step up in a world cup semi so sterling is the best we've got, even though i think he is sh*t, and i agree with you re: he is a athlete first, he should be a runner, as he is an absolutely horrendous footballer technically

Report betting_masta July 10, 2018 9:12 PM BST
and what i said about his weak genetics, he wouldn't be able to be an olympic sprinter for e.g. he's too small. he could do 50 m indoors as a youngster and then he'd get gobbled up in that. really the only thing he can do is play football so it's arguable whether he is actually that athletic at all
Report sickoflayinwinners July 10, 2018 9:13 PM BST
surely nobody on gods earth thinks diets as good as henderson. died is a very lucky man to have made the squad, he cant run and he cant pass apart from that he's wonderful!@!!!!!!!!!!!
Report sickoflayinwinners July 10, 2018 9:13 PM BST
dier
Report betting_masta July 10, 2018 9:16 PM BST
dier is the worst footballer that has maybe ever pulled on an england shirt
Report roache July 10, 2018 9:17 PM BST
Peps been taking a keen close watch on Sterlings performances so he has just bought Mahrez Laugh
Report betting_masta July 10, 2018 9:20 PM BST
jeszus
Report monkeystyle July 11, 2018 7:34 AM BST
Totally overrated player, fact that he's better without the ball speaks volumes.
Report jon b July 11, 2018 5:04 PM BST
due a goal though so had a go at anytime tonight at 3s     must be a little mad Happy
Report Emitdeb July 11, 2018 5:15 PM BST
Deffo ready to score... 3s is so skinny though.
Report mesmerised July 11, 2018 5:17 PM BST
I would like Sterling to score because he tries his best but he cannot hit a cows backside with a banjo. You can get away with that against the likes of Sweden and Panama, Croatia you have to take every chance.
Report geordie1956 July 11, 2018 5:23 PM BST
he might not be my favourite player but criticism in this tournament is somewhat harsh
his pace unsettles the opposition and the long ball (when necessary) to him immediately adds an alternative style to a quick passing game
who knows he just might be a match winner..that said as long as we win i'm not bothered who scores
Report superjudge July 11, 2018 5:29 PM BST
henderson totally diff level to dier.henderson underated player.decent
Report superjudge July 11, 2018 5:31 PM BST
deli ali been worse than sterling but somehow goes unnoticed
Report NBK July 11, 2018 5:35 PM BST
Raheem "John Barnes" Sterling
Report themover July 11, 2018 5:36 PM BST
no point peeking early, let's hope he fires tonight Cool
Report superjudge July 11, 2018 5:40 PM BST
nbk sterling aint no john barnes. should not be mentioned in the same sentence.barnes a proper player.
Report NBK July 11, 2018 5:44 PM BST
I agree, i'm sure you know what i,m  getting at though
Report NBK July 11, 2018 5:46 PM BST
bar this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0jdsPZmOWM
Report NBK July 11, 2018 5:57 PM BST
even tho he was playing for Watford at the time
Report Charlton2005 July 11, 2018 6:32 PM BST
NBK
Date Joined:    06 Jul 05
Add contact | Send message
11 Jul 18 17:35 Joined: 06 Jul 05 | Topic/replies: 2,844 | Blogger: NBK's blog
Raheem "John Barnes" Sterling

LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report impossible123 July 11, 2018 6:41 PM BST
Chance for you to shine, Sterling; most the most of it whilst you can.
Report ffaith July 11, 2018 6:44 PM BST
When Kane drops deep his space is filled by other players especially Sterling.  As goalscoring is the weakest part of his game(at least for England it is)then maybe Southgate should tweak his tactics.
Report Wesdag July 11, 2018 6:48 PM BST
Saving his goal(s) for the final.

As long as the team is winning, I can't see what all the moaning re Sterling is about.
Report Charlton2005 July 11, 2018 7:22 PM BST
ffs, when he should shoot he plays it in

WACC
Report Tallywagger. July 11, 2018 7:25 PM BST
Sterling's brain and feet are on completely different wavelengths .
Report Charlton2005 July 11, 2018 7:29 PM BST
englands giroud, only a lot worse  2 goals in 44 games ffs Laugh
Report Tallywagger. July 11, 2018 7:38 PM BST
If there's three possible options he chooses the worst one every time.
Report 11kv July 11, 2018 7:46 PM BST
Sterling was gonna score then
Report Emitdeb July 11, 2018 7:48 PM BST
MOM so far... imo
Report Charlton2005 July 11, 2018 8:20 PM BST
jesus christ
Report Charlton2005 July 11, 2018 8:31 PM BST
thank f@ck bye bye sterling
Report Tallywagger. July 11, 2018 8:33 PM BST
Surely Sterling is the ideal player to bring on in the event of extra time against tired legs?
Report tobermory July 11, 2018 9:40 PM BST
Imagine the stick he'd be getting if he'd been as useless as Kane
Report ffaith July 11, 2018 9:54 PM BST
Or Alli
Report Ibrahima Sonko July 11, 2018 9:56 PM BST
Sterling was one of Englands best players in every game.

The stats prove it.

Thank god for bettors who hate.
Report Charlton2005 July 11, 2018 9:58 PM BST
Ibrahima Sonko 11 Jul 18 21:56 Joined: 03 Jun 07 | Topic/replies: 71,076 | Blogger: Ibrahima Sonko's blog
Sterling was one of Englands best players in every game.

The stats prove it.

Thank god for bettors who hate.

i'm a hater and i would like to thank the mug ags backers
Report Crisp77 July 11, 2018 9:59 PM BST
Mahrez's Agent the big winner from Sterling's world cup
Report mesmerised July 11, 2018 10:00 PM BST
What I will say for Sterling is.......

At City he is surrounded by much better players, you can't expect to excel with Henderson / Alli trying to feed you intelligent balls, at City he has De Bruyne and Silva.
Report MJK July 11, 2018 10:02 PM BST
A very very rich headless chicken
Report Ibrahima Sonko July 11, 2018 10:06 PM BST
Nope, you are only as good as the players around you.

I dont rate Sterling but as he is English he is light years above the talent that can take his position.

I dont really get the English mentally when an English player keeps getting into positions on where he should score from ?
Report betting_masta July 12, 2018 3:32 AM BST
what we saying now people ???? absolute cack player
Report mesmerised July 12, 2018 7:33 AM BST
Raheem Stealing a living

Where are the chumps now to talk about the 'nuances of his game' ffs, he has not footballing brain.
Report Emitdeb July 12, 2018 6:38 PM BST
What was the score when he went off? after he'd ran himself ragged.. Replaced by Rashford  who didnt fare any better... infact found myself huffing and puffing at almost everything the young man did (Rashford)

Price the pair up... you'd get at least one and a half Rashfords... imo.
Report Blackrock July 12, 2018 7:21 PM BST
Sterling always a great outlet Gets on the end of many balls he has no right to. Granted, he's not the best at putting the ball away, but the chances he had were created by himself.

As for Rashford.LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report lurka July 13, 2018 2:34 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsoX0JLR6ic&ab_channel=ALEXMILAN

Check out this video of Henderson's 'passes' v Croatia. Looking for someone to keep possession and look what he does. Sterling is not the problem and should be one of the last players to get stick even though he is a poor finisher.
Report lurka July 13, 2018 2:42 PM BST
Poor finishing gets shown up against the mug/defensive sides but weaknesses in defence and midfield don't. Why is Henderson the one playing long passes anyway? Play it out from the back 10 yards and then hoof it?
Report impossible123 July 13, 2018 4:22 PM BST
Sterling has speed; good at running at opponents, but little footballing brain; he certainly is no Stevie Coppell.

Comparing Rashford with Sterling is unfair to Rashford; Rashford is much younger, and just made his name in the Premier League. But I've little doubt given the coaching, guidance, nurturing and opportunity Rashford would at least, if not, surpass, what Sterling has achieved at his age.
Report MJK July 13, 2018 7:53 PM BST

Jul 13, 2018 -- 3:42PM, lurka wrote:

Poor finishing gets shown up against the mug/defensive sides but weaknesses in defence and midfield don't. Why is Henderson the one playing long passes anyway? Play it out from the back 10 yards and then hoof it?

Henderson has three moves, sideways, backwards and lash it towards the corner flag. Klopp doesn't care as he likes to bypass midfield anyhow. As for Sterling, imagine he was one game away from an obedienceLaugh

Report MJK July 13, 2018 7:53 PM BST
OBELaugh
Report impossible123 July 14, 2018 11:30 AM BST
Will he score today...in a penalty shoot-out?
Report Crisp77 July 14, 2018 3:54 PM BST
Might need him to come on late and get an equaliser
Report Charlton2005 July 14, 2018 3:56 PM BST
been watching racing. thank f@ck southgate has benched him
Report skygreenzone July 14, 2018 4:50 PM BST
Found sterlings best postion this 2nd half on the bench.
Report Crisp77 July 14, 2018 4:52 PM BST
Didn't get on... shame
Report Charlton2005 July 14, 2018 4:59 PM BST
1 goal every 328000 minutes doesnt seem good enough
Report betting_masta July 14, 2018 11:00 PM BST
he's actually scored 1 goal every 1,900 minutes for england, once every 30 hours of play Blush
Report betting_masta July 14, 2018 11:04 PM BST
Raheem Sterling:

not scored in 3 years for england

scores once every 30 hours of play

give it up lads, he's pony
Report themover July 14, 2018 11:16 PM BST
yawn
Report mesmerised July 14, 2018 11:21 PM BST
themover, why do you think Pep has bought Mahrez - a genuinely quality player who scores goals, in his position, it's not to sit on the bench.
Report themover July 14, 2018 11:30 PM BST
Mahrez can play on the left, right or centre
Report mesmerised July 14, 2018 11:39 PM BST
he played on the right for Leicester most of the time, Sane wont be replaced and wont be playing centrally will he.
Report betting_masta July 14, 2018 11:41 PM BST
citeh will walk the title this year
Report mesmerised July 14, 2018 11:41 PM BST
wont make top 4
Report themover July 14, 2018 11:47 PM BST
City have 6 players competing for 3 positions : Sterling, Aguero, Sane, Jesus, Mahrez, B Silva (has also provided cover for D Silva on occasions)
Report themover July 14, 2018 11:52 PM BST
Sterling Aguero Sane (as last season on the whole)

Mahrez Aguero Sane

Sterling Jesus Mahrez

take your pick Laugh
Report mesmerised July 15, 2018 12:10 AM BST
Sterling and Jesus are absolute PAP Laugh

Aguero is 30 now, he doesn't look as sharp as he used to - that'll be pep making work like a donkey taking away from his natural game.

Sane wasn't that prolific was he.

Top 4 will be a struggle next season, although Liverpool showed the way to beat you, most teams are not capable of that, they'll be parking the bus even more so.
Report betting_masta July 15, 2018 12:27 AM BST
citeh will be the best of a bad bunch imvho

liverpool won't maintain last season with wholesale changes and salah won't be as good

arsenal have too much changes - same with chelsea

united have a cancer in the club called mourinho

spurs won't be good enough in their new stadium
Report tobermory July 15, 2018 12:31 PM BST
Didn't Sterling lay on a sitter for Kane yesterday
Report second again July 15, 2018 1:29 PM BST
The Racing Post pullout tipped Sterling to be Englands top scorer.They must have thought he was there to score goals.I cannot see how anyone can say he had a good tournament.
Report Charlton2005 July 15, 2018 3:19 PM BST
he was there to score goals which has to say something about management...
Report betting_masta July 15, 2018 3:38 PM BST
2 goals in 44 appearances for england. 44!

sterling could maybe play better with a more suported role playing with 2 attackers up top, maybe more of a #10 free role, but if you ask him to take the burden of the ball against defenders then he's just cack
Report impossible123 July 15, 2018 3:59 PM BST
Sterling, England's top scorer? The person responsible at the Racing Post must have been taking some hallucinogenic substance prior to arriving at that absurd tip. The Racing Post are renowned for tipping rubbish...to facilitate their paymasters' satchels.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com