Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
grayhawk
02 Jul 18 21:22
| Topic/replies: 29,183 | Blogger: grayhawk's blog
Well in case  the owld one doesn't  return i'm starting a new one....

Well done Vertonghen backers
Pause Switch to Standard View The Sunderland thread
Show More
Report SontaranStratagem May 24, 2022 6:11 PM BST
Doubled

Finished 5th but a massive club in the 2nd tier,

Watford and Norwich finished top 2 previous season and Brentford went up via the playoffs...

The top 2 finished 20th and 19th Brentford comfortably stayed up

It doesnt always work out the top 2 do better, and id say Sunderland are a much bigger club with better prospects than Rotherham for example
Report DOUBLED May 24, 2022 6:18 PM BST
Fair enough SS ... we shall see but I predict bottom half at best as they have massive debts at the club and wont be able to offer the wages that gets you better players.
Report SontaranStratagem May 24, 2022 6:22 PM BST
Oh mid table most likely I just think 2 or 3 good players can kick them on a bit

Theyll be similar to Bristol City in my opinion

But its probably more about plugging away for them at the minute, getting the debt down whilst staying decent enough on the pitch
Report DOUBLED May 24, 2022 6:29 PM BST
Lets hope you are right for their fans BUT the club is owned by some shady characters and im not sure they have the best interests of the football club at heart
Report morpteh mackem May 25, 2022 9:09 AM BST

May 24, 2022 -- 6:18PM, DOUBLED wrote:

Fair enough SS ... we shall see but I predict bottom half at best as they have massive debts at the club and wont be able to offer the wages that gets you better players.

how much are we in debt ?

Report grayhawk May 25, 2022 10:20 AM BST
Massive M2...i read it on here
Report morpteh mackem May 25, 2022 1:11 PM BST

May 25, 2022 -- 10:20AM, grayhawk wrote:

Massive M2...i read it on here

Grin

Report DOUBLED May 25, 2022 2:22 PM BST
So, it’s with a heavy heart, that I’m forced to write about what this financial predicament will mean to SAFC’s future. Spoiler – it’s bleak.

This will not be a problem unique to SAFC at the present time but let me be clear. If Donald and Methven were still the majority owners at SAFC, there would have been a real risk of administration. That immediate risk has diminished due to the new owner’s personal wealth (or at least his family’s) but the club is still making hefty financial losses. This should not be a surprise to KLD. The club have lost £1/4b in the last ten years. SAFC are the very definition of a ‘financial basket case’.

KLD has stated that he does not want to go down the route of previous SAFC owners in propping up the club but in the short term, it’s difficult to see what else he can do. But covering short term losses does not improve the infrastructure of the club or improve the team on the pitch. It essentially just keeps the administrator away. And all the time, the debt edges up.

For over a decade, SAFC have thrown good money after bad. The hope is always that at some stage in the future, if enough cash is thrown at the club, it might become successful and start making money. Any business owner will tell you that this approach rarely succeeds. At some stage, SAFC have to become self-sustaining.

In 19/20, SAFC’s wage bill was £16.3m (the figures for last season are not yet available). In 21/22, I estimate that wages will not be permitted to exceed £8.7m (60% of projected income of £14.5m).

So effectively, SAFC will have to halve their wage bill from that incurred in 19/20 when they missed out on the play-offs. They may have started that wage trimming last season but it’s clear that they will still need to trim considerably more next season. Both Johnson and Louis-Dreyfus have confirmed as much in interviews since the end of the season.
Report DOUBLED May 25, 2022 2:26 PM BST
^^^^ slightly dated article from 12 months ago but doubt much has changed Crazy
Report morpteh mackem May 25, 2022 2:36 PM BST

May 25, 2022 -- 2:22PM, DOUBLED wrote:

So, it’s with a heavy heart, that I’m forced to write about what this financial predicament will mean to SAFC’s future. Spoiler – it’s bleak.This will not be a problem unique to SAFC at the present time but let me be clear. If Donald and Methven were still the majority owners at SAFC, there would have been a real risk of administration. That immediate risk has diminished due to the new owner’s personal wealth (or at least his family’s) but the club is still making hefty financial losses. This should not be a surprise to KLD. The club have lost £1/4b in the last ten years. SAFC are the very definition of a ‘financial basket case’.KLD has stated that he does not want to go down the route of previous SAFC owners in propping up the club but in the short term, it’s difficult to see what else he can do. But covering short term losses does not improve the infrastructure of the club or improve the team on the pitch. It essentially just keeps the administrator away. And all the time, the debt edges up.For over a decade, SAFC have thrown good money after bad. The hope is always that at some stage in the future, if enough cash is thrown at the club, it might become successful and start making money. Any business owner will tell you that this approach rarely succeeds. At some stage, SAFC have to become self-sustaining. In 19/20, SAFC’s wage bill was £16.3m (the figures for last season are not yet available). In 21/22, I estimate that wages will not be permitted to exceed £8.7m (60% of projected income of £14.5m).So effectively, SAFC will have to halve their wage bill from that incurred in 19/20 when they missed out on the play-offs. They may have started that wage trimming last season but it’s clear that they will still need to trim considerably more next season. Both Johnson and Louis-Dreyfus have confirmed as much in interviews since the end of the season.

how much are we in debt ?

Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 25, 2022 3:08 PM BST
Short took the debt (losses) with him.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 25, 2022 3:13 PM BST
I do think there is a problem with current owners
but they will have to decide what they are going
to do over ownership.

The French guy not really pushing hard enough
to take control for many fans I know.

I'm not convinced the standard can be hugely
better, it's just a different style as much
as anything, and Sheff utd, Luton seem to have
done OK in recent years after promotion.
Report grayhawk May 25, 2022 4:45 PM BST
I wonder what the difference is between being skint and heavily in debt.
Report morpteh mackem May 25, 2022 4:51 PM BST

May 25, 2022 -- 4:45PM, grayhawk wrote:

I wonder what the difference is between being skint and heavily in debt.

Plain

Report Poppydog. May 25, 2022 5:36 PM BST
Sunderland AFC today confirmed its retained list for the 2022-23 season.

Following promotion to the Sky Bet Championship, Bailey Wright, Lynden Gooch and Patrick Roberts have been offered new contracts at the Stadium of Light.

Winger Aiden McGeady will depart the club after five years, while Arbenit Xhemajli, Jordan Willis and Lee Burge will also leave when their respective contracts expire on 30 June 2022.

Callum Doyle, Jack Clarke, Nathan Broadhead and Ron-Thorben Hoffmann have also returned to their parent clubs.

Everyone at Sunderland AFC would like to thank the players for their professionalism and commitment during their time at the club and wish them well for the future.
Report Poppydog. May 25, 2022 5:36 PM BST
Contracted

Adam Richardson
Alex Pritchard
Anthony Patterson
Cameron Jessup
Carl Winchester
Corry Evans
Dan Neil
Danny Batth
Dennis Cirkin
Elliot Embleton
Ellis Taylor
Ethan Kachosa
Harrison Sohna
Jack Diamond
Jacob Carney
Jay Matete
Leon Dajaku
Luke O'Nien
Nathan Newall
Niall Huggins
Ross Stewart
Thomas Scott
Trai Hume

Contract To Be Offered

The club are in discussions with the following players regarding signing a new contract at the club:

Bailey Wright
Lynden Gooch
Patrick Roberts
Report Poppydog. May 25, 2022 5:37 PM BST
Out Of Contract and Released

Aiden McGeady
Arbenit Xhemajli
Cieran Dunne
Jack McIntyre
Jordan Willis
Kenton Richardson
Lee Burge
Nicky Gyimah-Bio
Patrick Almond
Sam Wilding
Stephen Wearne
Tyrese Dyce
Ugonna Emenike
Vinnie Steels
Will Grigg
Will Harris

Loan Players

The following players will return to their parent clubs following the expiration of their loan deals:

Callum Doyle
Jack Clarke
Nathan Broadhead
Ron-Thorben Hoffmann

Youth Players Offered Professional Contracts

Caden Kelly
Harrison Bond
Harry Gardiner

Second-Year Scholars Released At The End Of Their Scholarship

Lakhraj Singh Lohia
Luke Chapman
Samuel Irons
Report morpteh mackem May 25, 2022 6:11 PM BST
Emenike is a strange one, signed in jan, released already. Feel sorry for willis, injuries have finished him.
Report grayhawk May 25, 2022 7:20 PM BST
Who are Cameron Jessup and Thomas Scott .....i've never heard of them
Report morpteh mackem May 25, 2022 7:28 PM BST

May 25, 2022 -- 7:20PM, grayhawk wrote:

Who are Cameron Jessup and Thomas Scott .....i've never heard of them

nah, same here, jessup centre haff, scotts a midfielder

Report grayhawk May 26, 2022 6:36 PM BST
Seen it posted on RTG earlier and we were saying the same amongst ourselves last weekend........the two most popular words you heard down London last Friday and Saturday were ...........Howww much LaughLaughLaugh
Report morpteh mackem May 26, 2022 7:35 PM BST

May 26, 2022 -- 6:36PM, grayhawk wrote:

Seen it posted on RTG earlier and we were saying the same amongst ourselves last weekend........the two most popular words you heard down London last Friday and Saturday were ...........Howww much

aye, 6 pund a pint when im used to 3, dear god.

Report grayhawk May 26, 2022 7:42 PM BST
I paid eight pund for a bottle of cider early on Friday before i got to the point where you don't even listen to the damage Grin...just get your card out, click and gerrit supped....dread to think what i was paying for a round when some began to tackle the shorts.

Credit card statement awaited with bated breath Grin
Report morpteh mackem May 26, 2022 8:03 PM BST

May 26, 2022 -- 7:42PM, grayhawk wrote:

I paid eight pund for a bottle of cider early on Friday before i got to the point where you don't even listen to the damage ...just get your card out, click and gerrit supped....dread to think what i was paying for a round when some began to tackle the shorts.Credit card statement awaited with bated breath

ShockedShockedShockedLaugh

Report grayhawk May 26, 2022 8:55 PM BST
£7.95 ......HOWWWW MUCH ShockedGrinGrinGrin
Report grayhawk May 27, 2022 4:43 PM BST
Good luck on Sunday SS
Report SontaranStratagem May 27, 2022 5:47 PM BST
Cheers grey

Actually strting to feel nervous now

Im going down there but will not be in the stadium as Ive not attended enough games to even be considered, which is fair enough I wouldnt take tickets of someone who attended a lot more games than myself anyway. But theres a lot going down so we can still make a weekend of it and hope we get the result.

Either way what a season, reminds me of Dowies Palace run to promotion via the playoffs, Reading a few years back went on a run of 18 wins out of 19 or something ridiculious and won the league albeit from further up the table when the run started.
Report grayhawk May 27, 2022 6:46 PM BST
Been talking to some of the lads today and we all said it's the best experience we've ever had following Sunderland...Happy

Enjoy the weekend...

Remember the police don't let you drink cans on Wembley way and were supposed to be making the surrounding pubs stop serving @ 1:45pm....dunno if this was carried out in the pubs mind cos we drank around Baker street before the game.
Report SontaranStratagem May 27, 2022 7:25 PM BST
Ah cheers gray

I dont drink unless its a big occasion, and with everyone in the group drinking ill just join in and enjoy it Happy
Report morpteh mackem May 27, 2022 7:35 PM BST
started off in covent garden, nags head and white lion then  got tube from leicester  sq, changed at green park and got jubilee all way to wembo. out on street in cg  before and after match, everything was fine.
Report grayhawk May 27, 2022 7:49 PM BST
I was out in street afterwards M2 but don't think allowed drinking on Wembley way...after game went for one in Wembley tavern to let crowds disperse but half of Sunderland must have had same idea...waited 20 minutes without getting served Shocked and thought fook that for a game of soldiers...we were in Maple Leaf the start of both nights ..could get served nee bother with a bit of bait if you wanted it Happy
Report SontaranStratagem May 27, 2022 7:56 PM BST
I understand the no drinking on wembley way but the street should be allowed, as long as theres no over the top stupidity its good

But with a big crowd and such a game, not to mention the drinking you can be sure theres gonna be a few that go over board

Cheers MM
Report morpteh mackem May 27, 2022 8:56 PM BST

May 27, 2022 -- 7:49PM, grayhawk wrote:

I was out in street afterwards M2 but don't think allowed drinking on Wembley way...after game went for one in Wembley tavern to let crowds disperse but half of Sunderland must have had same idea...waited 20 minutes without getting served  and thought fook that for a game of soldiers...we were in Maple Leaf the start of both nights ..could get served nee bother with a bit of bait if you wanted it

got back to white lion about  1/2 6 or so , got served nee bother, started to pick up about 8 or so, people turning up with carry out packs and drinking  a few outside before making way to traflagar  sq.

Report Poppydog. May 27, 2022 9:37 PM BST
Best (footballing) weekend ever.

The more I've dwelt on it this week, the more special it has become.
Report morpteh mackem May 28, 2022 9:00 AM BST
this time last week Plain
Report grayhawk May 28, 2022 9:44 AM BST
How much i'd pay to relieve it all Love.....the amount of ex players who were there to witness it is canny anall
Report Trackman May 28, 2022 10:10 AM BST
Yes I'd pay if you'd relieve us all of the  reminiscing too Laugh
Report grayhawk May 28, 2022 10:41 AM BST
Grin....gerrt i haven't stopped yet
Report grayhawk May 28, 2022 10:42 AM BST
RELIVING it yet Blush...Grin
Report morpteh mackem May 28, 2022 11:01 AM BST
got to be 'fools rush in'  3,45 chester
Report grayhawk May 28, 2022 12:52 PM BST
Our youngens just texted me with similar Grin
Report morpteh mackem May 28, 2022 1:00 PM BST

May 28, 2022 -- 12:52PM, grayhawk wrote:

Our youngens just texted me with similar

a fellow shrewdie

Report DOUBLED May 28, 2022 1:09 PM BST
It was Wycombe in the 3rd division play off LaughLaugh
Report grayhawk May 28, 2022 4:38 PM BST
A comment of a man who has zero understanding of what that win meant for Sunderland fans....
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 28, 2022 4:54 PM BST
Dunno if you've seen these stamps issued by
Jersey to commemorate 150 years of fa cup.

They are Roy of rovers style

1973 is there in Montgomerys double save, and
you get bonus of Hereford scoring v Newcastle!

https://jerseystamps.com/products/great-fa-cup-moments-stamp-set

Report Poppydog. May 29, 2022 12:54 PM BST
See if you can get today's 'Heardle' in one or two seconds: 

https://www.heardle.app/
Report morpteh mackem May 29, 2022 2:09 PM BST

May 29, 2022 -- 12:54PM, Poppydog. wrote:

See if you can get today's 'Heardle' in one or two seconds:

Report morpteh mackem May 29, 2022 3:24 PM BST
done in 1ish
Report grayhawk May 29, 2022 6:27 PM BST
What a horrible place to lose is Wembley...
Report grayhawk May 29, 2022 6:30 PM BST
Well done to Forest...
Report morpteh mackem May 29, 2022 6:30 PM BST

May 29, 2022 -- 6:27PM, grayhawk wrote:

What a horrible place to lose is Wembley...

especially if dont turn up and have nee shots on target.

Report grayhawk May 29, 2022 6:31 PM BST
Been there M2 Grin
Report morpteh mackem May 29, 2022 7:24 PM BST

May 29, 2022 -- 6:31PM, grayhawk wrote:

Been there M2

exactly, got the t shirt

Report SontaranStratagem May 30, 2022 5:17 PM BST
So much more fun winning at Wembley CoolLove

Hard luck on Huddersfield with that 2nd penalty shout but ive said it many times var is a horrible piece of tech that will be dreaded next season ffs, we better get use to that boot being on the other foot next season from a Forest perspective Scared

You wont see a more epic dull as dish water 1-0 though, dull but so good at the same time Laugh
Report SontaranStratagem May 30, 2022 5:18 PM BST
Huddersfield fan summed the tech up after the game

“Its used simply for the brand that is premiership, it fuels controversy which is whats its used for the prem brand”

Spot on cant disagree with him on that
Report grayhawk May 30, 2022 5:53 PM BST
Did you manage to sink a few in celebration SS? Grin
Report SontaranStratagem May 30, 2022 6:23 PM BST
I didnt have any choice gray Laugh

Every fooker is what in party mood just getting drinks in, never kmew a football game would be so celebrated and damn can we knock back drinks in this country

Hearing the kids walking down the street this morning chanting you reds was nice to hear though they enjoyed it mroe than the adults I think
Report SontaranStratagem May 30, 2022 6:23 PM BST
Was in party mood*
Report grayhawk May 30, 2022 7:49 PM BST
GrinGrinGrin
Report Poppydog. June 6, 2022 12:21 PM BST
SAFC Retro Photographs No:10

Report morpteh mackem June 6, 2022 1:07 PM BST
happy birthday to the great man and also Seb Larsson
Report morpteh mackem June 8, 2022 2:25 PM BST
anyone off to the algarve ?
Report grayhawk June 8, 2022 4:05 PM BST
Not been since me 18-30s days a coupla years ago....still recovering from it
Report grayhawk June 8, 2022 4:06 PM BST
Presume a few of the lads will be off to Dundee...another ground chalked off for them
Report morpteh mackem June 8, 2022 7:52 PM BST

Jun 8, 2022 -- 4:06PM, grayhawk wrote:

Presume a few of the lads will be off to Dundee...another ground chalked off for them

aye, should be canny day out. go and see the beano offices .

Report grayhawk June 12, 2022 7:52 PM BST
Just under 29,000 season tickets sold for next season already...good going for us that.

So thankful we're outta that god forsaken league Happy
Report Poppydog. June 15, 2022 6:55 PM BST
SAFC Retro Photographs No:11

Report Poppydog. June 15, 2022 6:55 PM BST
Rare photograph here.
Help me out on the Eight pictured?
Report Trackman June 15, 2022 7:48 PM BST
Blush i can name 3
Report Trackman June 15, 2022 8:02 PM BST
Elliot Turner Cummings is the best i can do
Report Trackman June 15, 2022 8:04 PM BST
Mick Buckley ?
Report grayhawk June 15, 2022 8:18 PM BST
Players are Elliott Cooke Turner Buckley Arnott Cummins.....Daily Express 5 a side winners....always a big thing on Sportsnight Love
Report grayhawk June 15, 2022 8:19 PM BST
Is the sub with the trackie on Trevor Swinburne?

Nee idea on the owld fella
Report 1830 June 15, 2022 8:19 PM BST
Goalkeepr 4th from left looks like Chris Turner who went to Man U.
Report grayhawk June 15, 2022 8:21 PM BST
Just googled Swinburne..doesn't look like him
Report grayhawk June 15, 2022 8:24 PM BST
I know who it is now...but won't say in case M2 knows him
Report grayhawk June 15, 2022 8:26 PM BST
I remember the semi final of that competition well HappyLoveWink
Report Trackman June 15, 2022 8:37 PM BST
No you didnt u just gooled it Angry
Report Trackman June 15, 2022 8:38 PM BST
i wasnt born then anyway..
Report morpteh mackem June 15, 2022 8:40 PM BST
one on left is peter eustace, was knightons assistant
Report morpteh mackem June 15, 2022 8:41 PM BST
one on far right( quite appropriate )  is probably from daily express
Report grayhawk June 15, 2022 8:45 PM BST
Laugh Tracker - wasn't born LaughLaughLaugh ...To tell the truth  ..i knew we'd beat you but couldn't remember the score so did google it

Well done M2
Report morpteh mackem June 15, 2022 10:14 PM BST

Jun 15, 2022 -- 8:45PM, grayhawk wrote:

Tracker - wasn't born  ...To tell the truth

Report morpteh mackem June 15, 2022 10:35 PM BST
beat mags 4 nowt in semis, and brighton  2  nowt in final. im sure beat wba and ipswich in earlier rounds
Report Poppydog. June 16, 2022 10:49 AM BST
Thanks lads.

I was pretty sure of 4 of the 8, but wanted to leave it open
Report Poppydog. June 16, 2022 10:53 AM BST
As a thank you here a couple of photos of some pretty rare kit:-

SAFC Retro Photographs No:12a 

SAFC Retro Photographs No:12b

Report morpteh mackem June 16, 2022 11:34 AM BST
not sure what season above is, could be 1980-81 easter monday, lost 3-1 i think . i was there, not sure what kit worn but makes sense not to clash stripes.
Report grayhawk June 16, 2022 4:52 PM BST
Can't recall ever seeing that strip.
Report morpteh mackem June 22, 2022 8:24 AM BST
good news re sharesCool
Report swift-tuttle June 22, 2022 9:37 AM BST
have the two villains gone?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- June 22, 2022 11:29 AM BST
Got to be good not having the crypto lot!
Report morpteh mackem June 22, 2022 12:07 PM BST

Jun 22, 2022 -- 9:37AM, swift-tuttle wrote:

have the two villains gone?

one left

Report morpteh mackem June 22, 2022 12:07 PM BST

Jun 22, 2022 -- 11:29AM, ----you-have-to-laugh--- wrote:

Got to be good not having the crypto lot!

damn right

Report grayhawk June 23, 2022 9:16 AM BST
Sunday 12PM ko Sad...would rather have been away first if i'd narn that was the case
Report morpteh mackem June 23, 2022 3:02 PM BST
sheff wed away in cup Shocked
Report grayhawk June 23, 2022 4:04 PM BST
A few midweek away games on there that we get on the red button Happy...all being that it's nee HD Plain
Report grayhawk June 23, 2022 4:07 PM BST
Slowly but surely inching our way up to 30k season tickets selt....our recruitment over the next six weeks should determine how many we end up with.

I'd guess around the 31,500 mark...
Report morpteh mackem June 23, 2022 5:09 PM BST

Jun 23, 2022 -- 4:07PM, grayhawk wrote:

Slowly but surely inching our way up to 30k season tickets selt....our recruitment over the next six weeks should determine how many we end up with.I'd guess around the 31,500 mark...

need some signings tbh, roberts could be a start.

Report grayhawk June 23, 2022 5:19 PM BST
Roberts' agents tweet 90 minutes ago..... https://twitter.com/benharding79/status/1539982074664337410
Report morpteh mackem June 23, 2022 6:32 PM BST
good stuff
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com