Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Jimmy Diamond
09 Jun 14 20:49
| Topic/replies: 2,539 | Blogger: Jimmy Diamond's blog
Looking through various goals related markets for the world cup, i get the impression that bookmakers are thinking low goals totals, especially in the group stages.

Probably because of the heat factor and general cageyness in the group stages.

Whats your opinions of how things will pan out goals wise in general?
Pause Switch to Standard View Your opinion of Goals totals in world...
Show More
Report Darlo Bantam June 10, 2014 12:06 AM BST
The 1990 World Cup was the lowest average goal total in World Cup history. Since 1994, the goals tally has dropped each and every tournament, to the point that the last tournament was only just above 1990 level. It's the modern game, so form suggests that the goal tally will be low.
Report hearts1874 June 10, 2014 12:30 AM BST
heat and humidity = no goals IMO.
Report berto77 June 10, 2014 8:35 AM BST
Not as clear cut as it might seem this one.  Logic says climate and more defensive nature of international football will mean it will be a low scoring World Cup.

However, the tournament with the highest goals per game in the past 30 years was USA 1994 when plenty of games were played in searing heat.

I suspect that one reason the goals per game average has been falling is that there are very few whipping boys these days.  A couple of 6-0s in previous tournaments inflate the goals per game ratio.

Finally, changes to the rules and refereeing effectively outlaws defending that would have been the norm in previous tournaments.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see more goals than expected.
Report breadnbutter June 10, 2014 5:54 PM BST
what is the figures and stats for the last 30 years ?

also what year had the highest mins played .
Report jermaine defonebox June 11, 2014 1:38 PM BST
Playing with a football not a balloon this time. Spanish bores are finished holland thugs likewise probably both out in the group stage
  I say a lot of goals and a possible record.
Report kellydamo June 11, 2014 3:17 PM BST
Me personally I am backing loads of goals in this tourney adn think there will be more than normal.  Theplayers arent going to be able to hack this heat out there and will be fooked come 60mins, leading to bad passes, mistakes blah blah blah.  I shall also be looking at backing goals more so 2nd half
Report Shrewd_dude June 11, 2014 3:51 PM BST
I was originally inclined to think that they would be low with the negative football played this season by club teams in the major tournies but I think those saying the climate might lead to more goals have a point.

Interesting that out of the 16 games played at last years Confederations Cup overs came in in 14 of the games. Only Spain v Italy (0-0) and Brazil v Mexico (2-0) didn't. Obviously Tahiti playing meant a few were certain overs though.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com