Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
RamonSanchezPizjuan
11 Oct 12 19:13
| Topic/replies: 7,610 | Blogger: RamonSanchezPizjuan's blog
Hagi or Stoichkov for me.
Pause Switch to Standard View Most underrated player ever??
Show More
Report debaser1878 October 12, 2012 3:11 AM BST
Steve McManaman
Report kingofROME October 12, 2012 7:25 AM BST
Brazil best ever defender, legend Aldair Love
Report Stringer October 12, 2012 8:42 AM BST
Stoichkov, Safet Susic, and Totti.
Report The Bhoys October 12, 2012 9:00 AM BST
nedved Love
Report lfc1971 October 12, 2012 9:02 AM BST
Most underrated player in the last 5 years has been Nani. He has more natural ability than the rest of the utd players combined. He was also the best player in the recent European championships but is hardly mentioned.Everyone focused on Ronaldo, a great player but Nani has been wasted by Ferguson(likewise Berbatov)
Report kingmax October 12, 2012 9:11 AM BST
inzaghi
Report attitude adjuster October 12, 2012 9:27 AM BST
Fernando Redondo
Report Cubanpete October 12, 2012 9:47 AM BST
Enzo Scifo
Carlos Valderrama
Zbigniew Boniek
Report squigs October 12, 2012 10:34 AM BST
Carlos Mozer, Brazilian Centre back who starred at Marseille and Benfica. Should have played at a higher level arguably. Had it all, great awareness, could score goals, good technique and hard as nails.

One I always thought was overlooked.
Report Ozymandius October 12, 2012 11:05 AM BST
Zanetti not a bad shout in this category.
Report Desmond Orchard October 12, 2012 11:36 AM BST
Maradona seems to be hugely underated on here by those who think that Messi is his equal. The lad is the best around, no doubt, but Diego is the GOAT and Messi has a way to go yet before he can be considered that.

Oh, and Nick Barmby, when he came to Boro it was like somebody had dropped an alien, so far ahead of everything else we were watching. I also have fond memories of the aforementioned Merson, for similar reasons.
Report booyakasha October 12, 2012 11:43 AM BST
Did I really see Frank Lampard on this thread

The most overrated player in my era IMO
Report The Bhoys October 12, 2012 12:26 PM BST
jergan melzer
Report booyakasha October 12, 2012 12:30 PM BST
melzer is very underrated
Report eastwood 23 October 12, 2012 3:01 PM BST
Probably not what the OP meant, but for me it has to be Boobby Charlton..

And yes he is always recognised as one of Englands best players, but very rarely have i heard his name mentioned with the usual suspects .. ( Pele Maradonna etc)..

One of the greatest players ever..
Report powerfan October 12, 2012 3:35 PM BST
Mark Viduka

Fair chance he's the best CF any of you have ever seen.  I'll add, IMO, if he played CF for Manure he would've broke all sorts of scoring records that in all probability would never be surpassed.

I know what ur thinking, he's big, he's strong, good touch, holds the ball up well, scores his share of goals, good player but NO FUKCING WAY is he as good as u think.

You're wrong.

He played as a target man because he played in average teams where he was needed to hold the ball up or it be coming straight back. 

Put him in a Manure shirt and he just plays just to score goals, on the shoulder of the last defender and he would've scored god knows how many.
Report dsmith October 12, 2012 3:42 PM BST
The flaw in your post is that you could presume such a thing about any half decent cf, Brian Deane, Mark bright, Kevin Davies to name a few
Report powerfan October 12, 2012 3:47 PM BST
Dukes is a natural goalscorer.

Michael Owen is a Natural...........only good until he turned 21 but he was still a natural.

Thierry Henry, great goalscoring record butttttttttt..............NOT a natural, jumps to the left to sidefoot it home.

If he isnt playing for your team then you dont see cuz ur too busy screaming you fat b@stard or whatever, but he was sheer class.

Look up the 4 he put past Liverpool, that's a bloke that knows how to score goals naturally, you either have it or you don't, it's not an accident.
Report The Bhoys October 12, 2012 3:51 PM BST
viduka was class. prob played at 50 percent in scotland he was quality
Report starfish and coffee October 12, 2012 3:53 PM BST
Robbie Fowler deserves more credit
Report powerfan October 12, 2012 3:55 PM BST
The Bhoys - viduka was class. prob played at 50 percent in scotland he was quality

His first goal for Celtic was a f'ken peach. That CH is still trying to work out wtf happend
Report The Bhoys October 12, 2012 4:02 PM BST
link please mate? seen him few times live but was only a kid. was class at leeds also
Report Howdi October 12, 2012 4:03 PM BST
Robert Pires
Report Howdi October 12, 2012 4:03 PM BST
Robert Pires
Report Winner_Winner_Chicken_Diner October 12, 2012 4:03 PM BST
Redondo,  he was just pure elegance on a pitch but had fight in him when needed, prob my favourite players of that Madrid era and he was underrated alongside makalele, that was some base to launch your Zidanes and Figo's from.

Also, always liked that Boban player from Milan back in C4 days. Never talked about much but he was so cool, just a wonderful style you rarely see now adays. Games changing, these types of player are probably now to slow to be trusted. He was so good tactically, he could play in any position across the midfield or in the hole.
Report dsmith October 12, 2012 4:14 PM BST
To give goalkeepers a mention, I dare say if you asked most people who the greatest keeper ever was, you would get a lot of mentions for shilts banks zoff schmiechel. And not so many for who I would consider the safest pair of hands ever. Neville southall. Even has a forest fan I can concede big nev was head and shoulders a better keeper than shilts of the same era
Report Daveyboymoyes October 13, 2012 9:03 AM BST
Correct Dean, Nev was the greatest
Report fisheye October 13, 2012 9:18 AM BST
Rivaldo.

Incredible left foot, one of my all time favourite players, really loved watching him play but maybe a bit overshadowed by Ronaldo at his peak plus some of his diving antics (notably against Turkey in the WC) didn't endear him to many people in the UK.

Favourite moment would have to be that bicycle kick for Barca against Valencia in the last minute to complete a hat-trick and get Barca into the Champions League on the last day of the season.
Report Captain Christy October 13, 2012 10:18 AM BST
Enzo Francescoli
Report Footiefan111 October 13, 2012 10:28 AM BST
christan vieri
Report Footiefan111 October 13, 2012 11:01 AM BST
Gabriel Batistuta
Report The Knight October 13, 2012 11:49 AM BST
I never saw him play personally and I susepct the majority of posters on here are too young to know of him but a player called Robin Friday from the 1970's was said to be on a different planet from everyone he played both with and against. Even today, older supporters at Reading remember him fondly, that being the club where he spent his best few years.

However, he had a total rebel attitude to the game and to life generally and packed it in ridicously early. Died stupidly young, if memory serves me correctly, through over indulgence in many things.

His story is told in a book (part written by the Oasis drummer I think) called the 'The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw'. It is a terrific tale and the bit about the accident he had with a spiked railing in his very early days makes your eyes water.

Strongly recommened as a read for younger football supporters today who probably don't fully realise just how much the game has changed the past thirty odd years. In the 1970's more players had real charisma BUT many were clearly not athletes like now!!
Report Over2.5 October 13, 2012 12:03 PM BST
boban is a great shout............
Report the dza October 13, 2012 1:21 PM BST
Theo Walcott.

Everybody likes to talk about how sh1t he is, yet he scores and creates goals at a similar rate to most of his contemporaries in the division. This is an "under-rated" player.

Honestly, what the f**k are some of the suggestions on this thread? It's about "under-rated" players, not players who were brilliant but foreign, you tw*ts.

Maldini and Batigol underated ffs, who under-rated them?! They were rightly regarded by all and sundry as the b0ll0cks.

Get this thread on track or I will have Betfair ban the lot of you for dragging the forum to a new low.
Report G1_Jockey_4 October 13, 2012 1:27 PM BST
yeah you gotta laugh about maldini or batistuta Laugh

walcott though????

he is the typical problem with British football.

all pace no brain.
Report Captain Christy October 13, 2012 2:16 PM BST
Walcott give us a break unless you mean by under-rated that most people think he is total shiite, when he is just shiite.
Report ReaseHeath October 13, 2012 2:20 PM BST
ever is a long time.

I'd put up Paul Bracewell, Paul Lake and Colin Bell.

Sure there are plenty of foreign players I've never heard of or long forgotten who could stake a claim.
Report ReaseHeath October 13, 2012 2:21 PM BST
agree with The Knight also - the Friday book should be mandatory reading for any proper football fan.
Report Alias October 13, 2012 3:22 PM BST
Jari Litmanen.
Report MALAY October 13, 2012 3:25 PM BST
Danny Murphy.
Report hejik October 13, 2012 3:41 PM BST
Clarence Seedorf one of most under-rated players I've ever seen.

Overshadowed in the British press during his early years by the far-inferior Edgar Davids.
Presumably because Davids used to run around a lot and make lots of bad tackles and called himself "The Pitbull".

In terms of technical ability and how little mentioned they are in "best player" lists, Seedorf tops it
Report duncan idaho October 13, 2012 5:02 PM BST
Lucas Leiva
Report kokoo October 13, 2012 6:32 PM BST
Berbatov is top top class, a shame Arsene Wenger did not buy him....when loved by the manager he will play as a world beater always!!!
Report sickoflayinwinners October 13, 2012 8:46 PM BST
always thoughht seedorf was just a shyte fetch nd carrier personally, but for most under rated miles ahed of anyone  wsas deffo ray wilkins for england , people usded to say he went ideways all thetime(total shyt) and his    never give the ball away at any cost has become the most  in vogue football tactic. short acurate crsp passing  and keepng the ball is now totaly  fashionble , nowadays hed be considered  "the canines testicles"
Report Sergei_Rebrofl October 13, 2012 9:01 PM BST
A current player who is underrated in England at the moment is Busquets. In his early 20s he forced his way into the Barca team and the Spainish national team, he's an incredible reader of the game, he can put a tackle in but more importantly his interceptions, pressing and distribution are pretty much flawless. I only know 2 other people who rate him though, it's amazing how ignorant people are of his abilities - if an English lad in his early 20s forced Yaya Toure out of a team then we'd never here the end of him.

Shame he's a bit of a **** of course.
Report Barca-Martillo October 13, 2012 9:33 PM BST
Stephane Chapuisat
Alvero Recoba
Manuel Rui Costa
Report buzzer April 30, 2013 7:08 PM BST
Robin Friday was the greatest footballer you never saw. Here's why. It is February 1974 and Fourth Division Reading are playing Doncaster Rovers. Friday is standing about 25 yards from goal when he shouts for the ball. As it arrives Friday does something no one expects. He hits the ball first time with the outside of his foot. From a seemingly impossible angle the ball passes the static goalkeeper and then – as intended – swerves at the last minute into the net. The stadium erupts. Two years later Reading play Tranmere Rovers. Friday, by now the town's hero, is about 35 yards from the Rovers goal when the ball hurtles towards him. Somehow he controls it on his chest and then hits the ball with his right foot. Before turning. The velocity of the ball is so powerful that within two seconds it is nestling in the top right-hand corner of the Rovers net. For a few seconds there is absolute silence in the stadium as everyone – players, staff and fans – tries to understand what has just happened. After the game the referee, Clive Thomas, announces: "Even up against the likes of Pele and Cruyff that rates as the best goal I have ever seen."

That year Reading are promoted to the Third Division. Without Robin Friday this would never have happened. Fact. Yet within three months the club have sold him to Cardiff City and six months later Robin has left the game for good. How could such a mercurial talent never play top-flight football or be placed in that great line of 70s artisans, Best, Bowles, etc?

Because Robin Friday played life in the same way he played football. Off the field he ran riot in Reading. He smoked spliff, dropped pills, drank heavily and accommodated every woman that came his way. If George Best was football's first pop star, Robin was the game's first rock star. Friday's off-field activities gained such potency that visiting scouts from top clubs – and there were many – refused to countenance signing a man of such unpredictable actions. The summer-long celebrations he undertook after hauling Reading into the Third Division in 1976 then signalled an unstoppable physical decline. Hence the move to Cardiff.

On his debut he introduced himself to Fulham's Bobby Moore by squeezing his testicles. The day before he had been arrested for bunking the train from Reading to Cardiff. In addition, Robin played in an era when football was not subject to the blanket media coverage it endures today. The only time Reading appeared on television for example was when the local station filmed them. He remained a hero at his clubs but hidden from the nation.

Robin walked out of Cardiff and football in the summer of 1977. Twelve years later he was found dead of a suspected heroin overdose. Hundreds and hundreds of people attended his funeral. In the year 2000 Reading fans overwhelmingly voted him their player of the century. There could be no finer accolade for the man.
Report Roger De Bris April 30, 2013 7:17 PM BST
Teofilo Cubillas.
Report adebola April 30, 2013 7:23 PM BST
Glenn hoddle, Enzo schifo and Bernt shuster
Report ieff7 April 30, 2013 10:10 PM BST
Roberto Rivellino   - the player from whom Maradona got his tricks  :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5j4weQFO8

Fernando Chalana - "O Pequeno Genial"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh8GD_HMgGo
Report Can't Catch Me April 30, 2013 10:13 PM BST
Thought I'd be the first to say Jari Litmanen, but Alias has beaten me to it.
Report brendanuk1 April 30, 2013 10:17 PM BST
another vote for Paul Bracewell
Report jed.davison May 1, 2013 1:25 AM BST
Glenn Hoddle was only underrated in Britain. To a man, the rest of the footballing world knew just what he was, one of the greatest players that ever walked the planet. They laughed at our backward football culture, the culture that allowed the most gifted player of his generation to win only 50 caps for his country, and most of them played out of position so that nobodies like Bryan Robson and Ray Wilkins could ocupy the centre.
Report pantsonfire May 1, 2013 1:47 AM BST
Henrik Pederson
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby May 1, 2013 1:49 AM BST
I suppose to be under rated you need to be not rated by some.

Mattias Sammer and Jurgen Kohler were simply fabulous players during the mid 90s as was Danny Blind for Ajax
Report Knight Rider May 1, 2013 1:52 AM BST
Yes I think the Hoddle situation neatly encapsulates why English football has been so far behind where it should be for the last 40 years.
Report Stringer May 1, 2013 2:51 AM BST
wason renteria

ruben castro

zvjezdan misimovic

sacha reither
Report Birchola May 1, 2013 4:02 AM BST
Mustafa Izzet.

The single reason Leicester City had 4 top 10 finishes in the Prem and 2 league cup wins around the turn of the century.  Scorer of sublime goals and the most skillful player to ever wear the shirt.  Should have played for one of the big clubs.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYHJZoqvAmk
Report ArmchairIdiot May 1, 2013 4:29 AM BST
Muzz? Is that you?
Report TheChaser May 1, 2013 6:07 AM BST
Dont really think Hagi or Stoichkov where under rated.Just not much news on them in uk , no internet etc.Just newspapers really back then.Stoichkov played in a great barca team and won the lot for individual awards and plenty titles/cups.Hagi was regarded as a one of the best players about also.
Report TheChaser May 1, 2013 6:08 AM BST
1994 United States     All Star Team

Belgium Michel Preud'homme

Brazil Jorginho
Brazil Márcio Santos
Italy Paolo Maldini

Brazil Dunga
Bulgaria Krasimir Balakov
Romania Gheorghe Hagi
Sweden Tomas Brolin

Brazil Romário
Bulgaria Hristo Stoichkov
Italy Roberto Baggio
Report elisjohn May 1, 2013 6:58 AM BST
bobby Charlton is very underrated, was imo the best English player ever, and a top 10 all time world player .
Report History Maker May 1, 2013 7:22 AM BST
I'm just going to say a Colchester player - Mark Yeates. Got him from Spurs, went to Middlesbrough.

Quite talented, good but not great. I go to 7 or 8 games a season, and I never, ever saw his head drop. I've got no idea what motivated him when things were going badly, but he never dropped his game, not for a second. He's an Irisher, but if all English players had his attitude, we'd be in clover.
Report History Maker May 1, 2013 7:30 AM BST
Just read the posts above and had to smile about Muzzie Izzet Happy

His brother Kem is a bit of a Colchester hero. Turns up about three stone overweight every August, and tends to finally get match fit in mid-April, just in time for the end of the seasonLaugh

Still, another player whose application cannot be faulted (fitness excluded). Great attitude, nice guy too - lives on the same street as a family friend, and is apparently unerringly pleasant.
Report HRH The Lager Khan May 1, 2013 9:03 AM BST
In the main, Michael Laudrup never seems to get the credit he deserves, but of course the answer is Le Tiss.

Omitted from the 98 World Cup squad by a man who as a player was not fit to blow the froth of his p1ss, despite what misty eyed Spurs fans would have you believe.
Report AyersRock May 1, 2013 9:08 AM BST
Cannot believe Carlton Palmer hasn't had a mention, how he never reached 20 england caps is beyond me.
Report TheChaser May 1, 2013 1:15 PM BST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X67sbYpAnoo

Redondo bossing Man Ures midfield with Scholes,Keane and Beckham in it.

If you  dont watch it all go to 3m.56s
Report TheChaser May 1, 2013 1:24 PM BST
Infact watch it all its even better than i remember.On a different planet
Report GODSEND May 1, 2013 1:28 PM BST
GARETH BARRY
Report Banquo1 May 1, 2013 6:45 PM BST
Paul Scholes.

He's arguably the best midfielder of his generation, and one the best midfielders ever to play the game, yet he never even got near being considered in the European/World footballer of the year awards.

England should have built a team around him yet decided to punt him out wide left. A footballing crime.
Report Mr Eboue May 1, 2013 6:50 PM BST
Paul scholes is not one of the best midfielders to play the game.

That is an insult to the greats like Iniesta, Zidane, etc.
Report Banquo1 May 1, 2013 7:07 PM BST
An insult to Zidane who once described Scholes as ''almost untouchable'' and ''the complete footballer''?
Report Banquo1 May 1, 2013 7:08 PM BST
And who was it that sought out Scholes after the Champions League final to get his shirt and admitted that he put it on his wall?

Iniesta.
Report HRH The Lager Khan May 1, 2013 7:12 PM BST
That could be because they are about the same size. He'd have looked ridiculous wearing Van Der Sar's shirt pushing his trolley round ASDA
Report Mr Eboue May 1, 2013 7:13 PM BST
Oh here we go again with all that nonsense.

I could get quotes from footballers saying how good Marlon Harewood was if I looked hard enough.

Great player yes but there would be many dozen ahead of him in the last couple of decades.
Report oneputt May 1, 2013 7:21 PM BST
Ray Parlour
Report TexassportsagentBuzz May 1, 2013 7:24 PM BST

May 1, 2013 -- 1:21PM, oneputt wrote:

Ray Parlour

Still remember watching the cup final 2002 when a friend of mine shouted "look he's in, nevermind it's only ray parlour" Ray then drives a 30 yard shot past Cudicini

Report Banquo1 May 1, 2013 7:39 PM BST
Mr Eboue

I could get quotes from footballers saying how good Marlon Harewood was if I looked hard enough.

Possibly. The difference being that those quotes would come from absolute clowns like Dave Bassett and Barry Fry.
Report ours4keeps May 1, 2013 9:02 PM BST
Ray Kennedy

Ridiculous to think how a player as good as him and as decorated as him is now struggling to pay his medical bills to treat Parkinson's disease while the likes of, say, Anderson is earning at least £50k per week.
Report Far From Trouble May 1, 2013 9:05 PM BST
Eric Cantona

Not just the king, he was fkn GOD
Report TheChaser May 2, 2013 8:36 PM BST
Paul Scholes.

He's arguably the best midfielder of his generation, and one the best midfielders ever to play the game, yet he never even got near being considered in the European/World footballer of the year awards.

England should have built a team around him yet decided to punt him out wide left. A footballing crime.
LaughLaughLaughLaugh

where was he in the video ,bossed for 90 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X67sbYpAnoo
Report aaronh May 2, 2013 8:40 PM BST
lucas
Report Money On7 May 2, 2013 8:41 PM BST
Dennis Irwin
Report TheChaser May 2, 2013 8:43 PM BST
Banquo1
01 May 13 19:08
| Topic/replies: 163 | Blogger: Banquo1's blog
And who was it that sought out Scholes after the Champions League final to get his shirt and admitted that he put it on his wall?

Iniesta.

Maradona once hailed Saviola as the man ready to be the next him and D`Alessndro
Report Money On7 May 2, 2013 8:44 PM BST
Le Tiss was a class act, if he had of been so lazy he'd of been a world beater
Report loui May 2, 2013 8:45 PM BST
and bruno cheyrou is the next zidane
Report stickyvicky May 2, 2013 8:45 PM BST
That Croat with the beard in the 80's played for Barca and Portsmouth
Report TheChaser May 2, 2013 8:46 PM BST
Bruno Cheyrou - "Zidane tag a mistake"
Report TheChaser May 2, 2013 8:48 PM BST
Allen the Welsh Iniests
Report loui May 2, 2013 8:48 PM BST
LaughLaughbenitez said it. talk about putting pressure on a player
Report TheChaser May 2, 2013 8:48 PM BST
Iniesta
Report TheChaser May 2, 2013 8:49 PM BST
He looked like him a bit
Report TheChaser May 2, 2013 8:49 PM BST
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_04/BrunoCheyrou_468x547.jpg
Report loui May 2, 2013 8:51 PM BST
must have been the winner he scored at chelsea.
Report pixie May 2, 2013 11:20 PM BST
Iniesta? Underated? Who doesn't rate him?
Report pixie May 2, 2013 11:21 PM BST
The answer is Walcott.
Report TexassportsagentBuzz May 3, 2013 3:44 AM BST
Iain Dowie
Report Over2.5 May 3, 2013 11:40 AM BST
javier zanneti
Report jackdanny May 3, 2013 11:44 AM BST
Chick charnley.
Report jackdanny May 3, 2013 11:53 AM BST
Or Jimmy jontstone
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit