Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
olddesperado
16 Jun 17 21:14
| Topic/replies: 7,464 | Blogger: olddesperado's blog
Watching the events of the last few days got me thinking of when i lived in London .

I remember going into a pub with a mate and calling for 2 pints but the bar man ignored us and kept polishing bottles.

I expect a degree of gratitude when im spending my hard earned so we walked out after a couple more attempts to get served.

Went into another a bit up the road and were regaling our amusement at being probably mistaken for someone banned.

Did you notice anything about the people in there asked the barman to which we replied no,

Describe them he said,

Well there was two coloured guys down the end and thats it,

And what about the barman ?

Then the penny dropped .

Its well known in the area he said.

It was around peckham Nunhead lane area circa 1992.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 71
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 16 Jun 17 21:26
To me that maybe a refection on you. I'm 50 years old, born in Brixton and have had several beers in pretty much every pub in South London in my time and have got untold amounts of mates from the West Indies. Never once have I had grief anywhere in my entire life from anyone regardless of race, colour nor creed. I know Peckham very well, I live not that far away in Dulwich Village. I've got friends there, never once have I had a problem with anyone.
By:
olddesperado
When: 16 Jun 17 21:31
No we only had 2 or 3 pints at that stage so were not even merry let alone drunk.
By:
moisok
When: 16 Jun 17 21:53
who would go sarf of most parts of the river
some small enclaves ok in daytime
and greenwich which is miles down though is ok
By:
olddesperado
When: 16 Jun 17 21:59
It was circa 1992 , 

If such a thing didnt exist then,  well then i was misinformed in the nearby pub.
By:
akabula
When: 16 Jun 17 21:59
SlippyBlue
To me that maybe a refection on you

Not sure how you arrive at that slippy given Its well known in the area he said.
By:
olddesperado
When: 16 Jun 17 22:01
I guess there was plenty of pubs that leaned the other way at that time too,
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jun 17 22:05
moisok

South of the river they don't care about your colour, your creed or your politics. If you try and jump the order you get chinned, quite rightly!

It is as anti racist, anti ignorant as you can get. Wait your turn!
By:
saddo
When: 16 Jun 17 22:08
Quite a few "black" pubs in the 80s, Chapeltown- Leeds, Manningham- Bradford. The only white people in there went to listen to reggae and buy weed. Quite harmonious for years til crack cocaine appeared and then the mood changed over a shortish time.
By:
akabula
When: 16 Jun 17 22:14
I think this could be WD Laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqYHT6nRaA
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jun 17 22:19
You ain't wrong there alabulaLaugh!

Except I would have paid for the canoli and shot him the pilsbury doughboy again for what he said!
By:
moisok
When: 16 Jun 17 22:22
gosh whispering

wen I am in town I EXPECT  to be surved furst

what is wrong wiv the great unwashed????
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jun 17 22:25
moises!

Try going to the Bar in Nottng Hill

I am just surprised I ain't been arrested yet!
By:
casemoney
When: 16 Jun 17 22:28
Be a No Go area  When the Locals Kick off Sad Spec when the Non Locals Join in .
By:
Capt__F
When: 16 Jun 17 22:32
earl grey pershore rd bham natty dred
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 16 Jun 17 23:12
Whisperingdeath
     16 Jun 17 21:52   
Glad you know how it feels desperado!

I went into a pub in Notting Hill.
I am very polite and well mannered.

So it's only when you're on here then?
By:
a bitofinterest
When: 16 Jun 17 23:28
clearly whats needed is a rainbow naked group hug,preferably in slippys back garden

followed by a barbecue and a few beers
By:
akabula
When: 16 Jun 17 23:30
Laugh DrC.
By:
akabula
When: 16 Jun 17 23:35
slippys back garden
That an euphemism bito?
By:
a bitofinterest
When: 16 Jun 17 23:59
REPORTED
By:
olddesperado
When: 17 Jun 17 00:05
I thought the same bito,  be more careful Grin
By:
a bitofinterest
When: 17 Jun 17 00:17
Blush
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 17 Jun 17 04:33
I am not usually rude to you CrippenWink!

I'll be nice and loving today I promise!
By:
Blackrock
When: 17 Jun 17 10:29
Slippy - my dad took me to a pub in Brixton, about 1976 i reckon.

One bar was frequented by blacks only, the other bar by whites only. If a black man went into the white bar, he was served alright, but at 3 times the cost of the black bar.
By:
The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE
When: 17 Jun 17 14:05
So if a white bloke went in the black bar could he get a pint for 1/3 the cost of the white bar?
By:
Ovalman.
When: 17 Jun 17 14:08
Surely we're past all this?
By:
The_KAMIKAZEE_DRINKING_MACHINE
When: 17 Jun 17 14:45
I'm upset that I missed out on 33p pints.Cry
By:
ufcdan
When: 17 Jun 17 15:49
Back in the day I think it was more dangerous for a Blackman to walk into a white pub than the other way round, I'm talking 70s and 80s.
By:
casemoney
When: 17 Jun 17 16:33
Had Black guys drinking in Pubs where I went ,Didnt see any problems TBH
By:
ufcdan
When: 17 Jun 17 16:48
A lot more blatant racism in those days casemoney
By:
casemoney
When: 17 Jun 17 17:09
Was late 70s and 80 s Dan  Did once see a Black bloke attacked by some big wxnker in a Pub in fulham .He hit the Guy over the head with a walking Stick Sad Not sure whaT IT WAS ABOUT TBH .
By:
moisok
When: 17 Jun 17 17:16
whispering - I have dined in notting and of course portobello has been visited several times

I went in a 60s/70s style vintage clothes shop with a 'hey man' geezer running it

it stank of THE baccy   ha ha!!!
By:
Charlie
When: 17 Jun 17 19:00
Been drinking in pubs for 50 years and never come across a totally racist one. Been in many which were predominantly white and blacks have been there and vice versa but never seen any trouble down to that. Footy pubs a completely different experience. Wrong colours, wrong accent, wrong clothes, order a pint the wrong way, look at somebody the wrong and all hell can break loose.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 17 Jun 17 19:13
It is a good neighbourhood moises,plenty of good pubs and restaurants.

Great place for a drink. Most people are friendly whatever walk of life they inhabit. Mrs 'Death doesn't like to frequent the pubs in the Northern half of Portobello Road becuase she thinks they are too chavvy but I am from Gillingham so they are what I am used to. Just can't be doing with Beach Blanket Babylon and Cocktails!

The only problem I have in W10 is in some of the so called " posher " pubs I find some people have no class and think they should get served before anyone else who has been waiting since before they came in. It really annoys me. I mean I usually save my vitriol for for racists but it does get my goat when people push in. I hold my tongue when with the missus but I have let one or two know what I think. I don't like to punch people, I am not very good at it either, however, if you come from Gillingham you do have to at least pretend you are a viscious thug or people take liberties. I can do that quite well until the fist's start flying and although I float like a butterfly I also punch like one or as my mates say like a girl, well maybe not as hard as a Chatham girl!
By:
moisok
When: 17 Jun 17 19:18
someone once said I drive like a girl ha ha!!!   sexist sexist sexist

I will log your advice and will attempt to do a few in the area.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 17 Jun 17 19:38
I drink at the Walmer Castle in Ledbury Road and the Prince Bonarparte in Chepstow Road.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 17 Jun 17 19:38
Food is good almost everywhere!
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 17 Jun 17 21:23
Black Swan.
Black Horse.
Black Pig.
Black Cat.
Black Dog.
Black Pudding.
Rose and Crown.
By:
Capt__F
When: 17 Jun 17 22:24
Dr Black
By:
olddesperado
When: 17 Jun 17 22:42
Anyway glad its a thing of the past now.

Just been watching it was all right in the 70s and the racism of the time was shocking,

Personally i think the racism card is used too much these days which just dilutes the real genuine racism issues but the 70s were shocking in hindsight.

Mainstream tv sitcoms were probably the worst looking at this,  people would be arrested if it was today.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com