Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Jb23
13 Mar 21 18:49
| Topic/replies: 441 | Blogger: Jb23's blog
The recent drifts on Energumene, Thyme Hill, Gauloise fortunately don't impact me, but begs me to ask the question- why are these drifts and then withdrawal's normalised to be "part of the game" when it us fundamentally insider trading. Should they not be investigated?

If owners, stable staff or anyone connected to a horse were caught laying a horse on the day of a race then they would be banned for months and months. So why is it OK for a the same connections with access to information significantly before the public do, to lay a horse and essentially be a coal mine budgie for future news?

In my eyes, it may not carry the immoral and outright horrific look of the Elliott scandal, but the issue is as equally damning to the perception of the sport.

If I were to short the stocks of the company I work for following earnings release, I would be locked up.
Pause Switch to Standard View Betfair Drifts
Show More
Report tony2914 March 13, 2021 8:01 PM GMT
totally agree jb , trainers being sponsered by bookmakers, plus the likes of walsh mccoy ect making a living as pundits on tv when they are privvy to inside info off mullins and jp mc , funny how they only share it when the horse has bolted up, the game is still an unlevel playing field.
Report differentdrum March 13, 2021 8:10 PM GMT
I wouldn't mention it in comparison to Elliott, but I would agree. People being screwed by those in the know. Again similar to not laying bet offers it's only going to be called out on here.

Every Cheltenham there is virtually no information on the JP horses until they have been cut to unbackable prices. I can't understand why some laud him. Fingers in every pie and the only punter he is bothered about is himself.
Report Jb23 March 13, 2021 8:36 PM GMT

Mar 13, 2021 -- 2:10PM, differentdrum wrote:

I wouldn't mention it in comparison to Elliott, but I would agree. People being screwed by those in the know. Again similar to not laying bet offers it's only going to be called out on here. Every Cheltenham there is virtually no information on the JP horses until they have been cut to unbackable prices. I can't understand why some laud him. Fingers in every pie and the only punter he is bothered about is himself.

Fair point RE Elliott. I wasn't trying to necessarily compare the two issues. i just hate how it's accepted that those "in the know" can exploit and profit from the market. Racing is rapidly approaching a crossroads where transparency needs to be at the forefront, and betfair drifts are anything but.

If Energuemene drifted from 3.00 to 8.50 on the day of the arkle and PU. It would be investigated.

So why can Energuemene drift from 2.00 to 50.00, be withdrawn and the reaction be, "ah well, lets hope the horse is sound" despite profit being made on the laying of the horse from those in the know.

Report layingisthewayforward March 13, 2021 11:15 PM GMT
Is Gauloise a non runner?
Report ZEALOT March 14, 2021 3:28 AM GMT
It’s not just the laying of the horse in question it’s the backing of others .
Report mcgoldrick March 14, 2021 8:54 AM GMT
Markets have been telling us this morning that Royal Pagaille is heading not to the NH chase but to the Gold Cup.
Report Andymca March 14, 2021 9:13 AM GMT
Drift started last night but has not drifted any further since then. Same with Allaho in the Ryanair.
Report mcgoldrick March 14, 2021 9:17 AM GMT
exchange market on NH chase suspended with RP at 50. Had gone out to 8s. Most bookies have suspended betting on the NH chase. Poster on another thread saying RP to Gold Cup unless problem with Monkish (in which case presumably diverted to Brown Advisory (RSA). Makes sense and ties in with what markets are doing.

I think RP will win the Gold Cup.
Report Andymca March 14, 2021 9:33 AM GMT
Market live again and RP is 100/1
Report yeasty March 14, 2021 9:36 AM GMT
Latest one is Time To Get Up, the fav for the Kim Muir. Sudden drift (last matched at 10 when 4/1 with the books)...

I hope he's not a NR.
Report ashleigh March 14, 2021 9:44 AM GMT
when do betfair suspend the markets, final decs out from 10am.
Report Andymca March 14, 2021 9:46 AM GMT

Mar 14, 2021 -- 4:44AM, ashleigh wrote:

when do betfair suspend the markets, final decs out from 10am.

Squeaky bum time

Report cobra sam March 14, 2021 9:49 AM GMT
as fergie would say....tuesdays ante post markets will be finishing very soon
Report cobra sam March 14, 2021 9:59 AM GMT
all of a sudden Saint Sam looks strong for the boodles...damn
Report impossible123 March 14, 2021 11:05 AM GMT
Horse racing and the horse racing community are very close-knit and non-inclusive entities. These entities will need to open up and not police themselves as judge and jury. So much trust and integrity have been eroded and ridden roughshod over by representatives eg presenters promoting betting or dodgy owners flouting human rights/money laundering, etc, yet nothing aired on horse racing transmission for fear of antagonising the influential patrons. Even the BHA the police of the industry are afraid of high profile owners and bookmakers.

A radical approach and measures undertaken to open up the "sport" for scrutiny and inclusiveness are long overdue and necessary.
Report Jb23 March 16, 2021 8:33 AM GMT
Allaho looks to be the latest contributor to the Mullins Christmas party fundraiser.

These drifts absolutely stink.
Report Andymca March 16, 2021 9:18 AM GMT
Been drifting for days
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com