Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
irishone
12 Jun 18 10:12
| Topic/replies: 16,285 | Blogger: irishone's blog
Broken my post cheltenham promise not to bet until jan 1st 2019 . Pat Kelly has one race in mind for this horse according  to those in the know at rossie last night. 6\1 is well worth a punt at this moment in time top up as the others fall away , it wont be 6\1 on the 15th march 2019 and you can still lay it off for profit
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View PRESENTING PERCY
Show More
Report irishone March 3, 2019 7:10 PM GMT
What does hen do now for a living .....writes books and teaches horses how to jump ...there's a shock
Report irishone March 3, 2019 7:13 PM GMT
All Patrick has done is wrap him up in cooton wool ? ......best mate was accused of that ....who trained that one ?
Report buddeliea March 3, 2019 7:29 PM GMT
Best Mate ran twice over fences each year before he won the Gold Cup if i remember correctly,one of which was the King George.
Rather different to PP.
It worked and so his trainer cannot be knocked.
Lets see how PP gets on,then we can judge after the event,which is the only time we can judge properly.
Now its just opinion, and if Hen Knight is asked hers,then she is entitled to give hers,and as a trainer of a horse that has won the Gold Cup three times,an opinion that should be respected imo.
Report irishone March 3, 2019 7:35 PM GMT
Hen couldn't tie Patrick's boots up , the old fellah biddles was different gravy
Report irishone March 3, 2019 7:36 PM GMT
Jenny pitman used to wrap them up in cotton wool as well
Report irishone March 3, 2019 7:39 PM GMT
She did a blinding job with that somersby LaughLaugh
Report buddeliea March 3, 2019 7:42 PM GMT
And she won Grand Nationals and Gold Cups.....another proven trainer of big chase winners that cannot be knocked.

We await what Patrick can do.
Report buddeliea March 3, 2019 7:44 PM GMT
End of thread for me.
Another one i was stupid enough to think would be a sensible one.!!
Report buddeliea March 3, 2019 7:45 PM GMT
Although i will revisit after the Gold Cup.......whatever the result.
Report johnslad March 3, 2019 8:11 PM GMT
your memory is about 2 1/2 hrs if you read RP.COM report and as HEN said they were accused af cotton wool wrapping which you didn't add and for sensible its only that if its what you want to hear,just saying like as its just so repetitive listening and I don't know if he can win to be honest I can make a case for plenty and up in the air what to bet but a 2 time festival winner will have every chance if not more than that in what is not a vintage race maybe in no's but not in class imo.
Report impossible123 March 3, 2019 8:20 PM GMT
Not a follower of Tom Segal, but this was what he said about PP when asked in a Q & A session. Segal: "...the only time he stepped out of novice company he got beaten by Our Duke receiving weight."

I shall cease to post on this thread until the race; will accolade PP if he wins similarly, his trainer if he does not.
Report irishone March 3, 2019 8:52 PM GMT
Glad to see you lads disappearing.

You turned a thread about a trade into a continual slagging of Pp's preparation, price, value, form , trainer and jockey.

It was never about that ! It was about a free bet in the gold cup ten months before the race.

As soon as you read a slagging of the honourable queen of Cheltenham, bit too close to home,  the dummmies get spat out the pram and you are not playing anymore .

Apologies to Henrietta Knight .
Report duffy March 4, 2019 2:01 AM GMT
Criticism of his prep is based solely on what we perceive to be "normal", it does not make it wrong or by default automatically detract from his chance of winning the race if he doesn't race when people on the outside think he should run.

His absence displays a sign of huge faith and confidence in the horse as they obviously feel no need to run him if everything isn't right, there's no thought of offsetting this against the up side of getting a run into him.

The trainer has campaigned him in a less than usual way in the past and it has worked.

What accentuates the feeling against the way that the horse is campaigned is the fact that the trainer won't give the time of day to the media and won't sit down and explain all his decisions which would help us understand more what goes on, this aloofness can become tiresome of course and serves to put people off and criticise more.
Report impossible123 March 4, 2019 11:23 AM GMT
From experience and past data "normal" would be running at least 2x in chases (preps); against fellow competitors. Has PP done any of these? If PP was not heading the market eg 10/1 plus his prep (or lack of it) would not be a contentious issue to most.

Maybe a novice chaser would be required to qualify to run in any future Gold Cup ie trials prior to participation for the safety of the horse and integrity of the sport.
Report foxy March 4, 2019 11:27 AM GMT
How did he go on and who won the raceWink
Report GAZO March 4, 2019 12:27 PM GMT
there is no normal,it depends on the horse but they did keep declaring the horse to run which suggests to me they wanted to give him a run
Report foxy March 4, 2019 1:43 PM GMT
Was Nicky pleased with santini after yesterday’s Newbury workout
Report The Sawyer March 4, 2019 5:38 PM GMT
If he turns up next Friday and wins given his prep, perhaps we can argue that he may as well have run in it last year instead of the RSA.

He'd be going for the hat trick in 2020 wouldn't he?
Report impossible123 March 4, 2019 5:53 PM GMT
^^
In your dream...after being beaten by Our Duke receiving weight in the only non-novice chase contest he'd run in last season.
Report The Sawyer March 4, 2019 6:36 PM GMT
imp123

It was said tongue in cheek - but if he does win, and on the basis that there is no racecourse evidence to suggest he has improved this year, why couldn't you argue that he would have won last year.

After all it's the same oppo.
Report impossible123 March 4, 2019 6:52 PM GMT
I believe race data told a different story plus the pace set by NR (and MB) could/would have caused concerns for PP as it did for many seasoned chasers in the field.

If PP was 8/1 plus, and not heading the market he'd have come under-the-radar of most (like Sizing John) except his connections and fervent supporters. Nevertheless, the lack of a prep race over fences is a significant no-no with me and most here, I believe. And, his defeat by Our Duke receiving weight in the only non-novice chase contest last season was telling for me.
Report irishone March 4, 2019 7:40 PM GMT
"I believe race data told a different story"
What race data ? Have you got all the splits ? Put them up

As for the Red Mills  it wasnt his ground, heavy has never been his ground, Davy saved him, he improves massively on good ground , this has all been said before on here, and anyways I thought you were leaving ? 

impossible123
03 Mar 19 20:20

I shall cease to post on this thread until the race; will accolade PP if he wins similarly, his trainer if he does not

Another FOUND scenario.....LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report The Sawyer March 4, 2019 9:10 PM GMT
And after all, Our Duke did go off 2nd fav for last years Gold Cup - ahead of NR (Native River) in the market.
Report jedi sophie March 4, 2019 9:14 PM GMT
Percy bashers seem to have forgot Our Duke was a top class horse.
He really was.
Report impossible123 March 4, 2019 10:05 PM GMT
I'm not PP bashing, and neither are those not endeared to PP. But we are just being realistic about his chances and his unjustified position at the head of the market despite a defeat in a non-novice chase by OD receiving 7lbs plus a bizarre prep for the Gold Cup.

MB was 4/1 fav, OD 9/2 2nd fav and NR 5/1 3rd fav, and assuming MB and NR ran up to their rating of between 168/170 (173 and 178 in the Gold Cup respectively) similarly OD (Irish National 170) PP is still at least 7lbs behind these 3 horses.
Report Trueblue82 March 5, 2019 1:17 AM GMT
I have enjoyed reading this thread and the fact that people are so divided with their opinions of PP and the gold cup. I can't wait for the race to see what happens.
Personally I will not be backing PP, he may well be good enough and hats off if he is but too many negatives for me.
I have read alot of people saying his RSA win was outstanding, but those same people say Monalee doesn't stay 3 miles so I think it could be looked at from both angles.
I think the race has so many questions to be answered by nearly every horse that predicting the winner for this race is as hard as any race at this year's festival.
Can't wait to see which horse answers with aplomb
Report nineteen points March 5, 2019 7:51 AM GMT
surely native river is being overlooked massively.to be, fair mite bite also.if either one gets their preffered going they will be there at the death.
Report impossible123 March 5, 2019 8:56 AM GMT
Personally, the only positive with PP at he head of the betting market is there are some stonking values to be held for the others eg CDO, NR, MB, Thistlecrack and Kemboy to name a few.
Report irishone March 5, 2019 8:09 PM GMT
Losing all credibility
5 posts
Since he stated "I shall cease to post on this thread until the race"
Report mrtopnotch March 6, 2019 10:47 AM GMT
The novices from last year are strong this year - Elegant escape, Monalee etc.
So we can assume they are a good crop entering this years equation.
Presenting Percy's performance in hammering the two above, in last years RSA, was electric.
But there is the doubt of preparation!
CDO imo is not a Cheltenham horse

NR has to be the bet on course form  - Kemboy, Al Boum Photo, Bellshill would all be dangers.

Intriguing race and one to savour
Report impossible123 March 8, 2019 5:51 PM GMT
Monalee is not a 3-miler; Elegant Escape is an out-and-out stayer thus the Welsh National.

Interesting titbit from a programme hosted by Harvey with Geragthy about Presenting Percy picked-up by Hislop.

Harvey: "There must have been something amiss with Presenting Percy for him only to have raced once to date this season."
Geraghty; "Well, you'd imagine he's had some...it might be only minor...issues."

Reynolds (owner) post Galway schooling; "Pat (trainer) is happy with him and he worked with Mall Dini this morning. We're delighted with him. Fingers crossed he'll be ok in the morning and for the next fortnight. Trying to keep him right is the challenge."

Missing his numerous planned engagements was not wholly ground induced then?
Report irishone March 8, 2019 6:00 PM GMT
HDB knows monalee a bit better than you.

PP missed the durkan because he wasnt fit

All reported on here

You might ignore me but people on here see you post things
That you lie about
The found incident was one
.....and you said you were not going to post anymore on here

Treating the forum with disdain
Report penzance March 8, 2019 6:44 PM GMT
whatever anyone says Presenting Percy's preperation
hasn't been ideal.He may win but connections must have
wanted more chase runs before the GC,no way this was
the plan.
Report irishone March 8, 2019 7:17 PM GMT
It was very close to the plan
How can you question the preparation?
Kellys won two races at the festival with him
Report Hibore March 8, 2019 7:22 PM GMT
Irish doesn’t think he’ll win. The purpose of this thread was to to back at 6/1 and lay off just before the race for a small profit.

Only thing Irish laid off just after his hurdle win at 7/2 before he drifted when missed his two chase runs.

That’s correct isn’t it ?
Report maelduin March 8, 2019 7:40 PM GMT
Yes very close to the plan except he didn't have that prep race over fences. ffs
Report irishone March 15, 2019 7:42 AM GMT
HERE WE GO ......

HRRE WE GECKING GO .....
Report FOYLESWAR March 15, 2019 7:48 AM GMT
fingers crossed for a great race and all get back safely!
Report irishone March 15, 2019 7:50 AM GMT
The fields of athenry ......

......are deserted
Report foxy March 15, 2019 9:58 AM GMT
The most fascinating gold cup in my lifetime pluses and minuses for every horse I echo the sentiments of foyleswar.
Report impossible123 March 15, 2019 7:06 PM GMT
Reportedly finished lame on his right-hind by vet officer. Insinuated rumours concerning his well-being for his missing planned race engagements have substance.
Report a bitofinterest March 15, 2019 10:47 PM GMT
the main thing is that irishone was right all along and he greened out

and pat kellys still a genius and were all anti irish Laugh
Report irishone March 15, 2019 10:52 PM GMT
Reportedly finished lame on his right hind by vet....

Total lie.....

you can have near hind or off hind

But no vet of any standing would say right hand n0bhead
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 15, 2019 11:11 PM GMT
BHA Stewards @BHAStewards 5 hours ago
R4 @CheltenhamRaces: The Veterinary Officer made a further report that a post-race examination of PRESENTING PERCY, during routine testing, found the gelding to be lame right hind.
Report a bitofinterest March 15, 2019 11:15 PM GMT
Laugh
Report irishone March 15, 2019 11:19 PM GMT
Vet my r s
Report Hibore March 15, 2019 11:31 PM GMT
Lovely to be proved right.

Outclassed and had no right to be under 8/1.

Only numpty punters who backed in in to fav.

Irish did his nuts and so did Kelly. Worst trainer ever.
Report irishone March 15, 2019 11:32 PM GMT
Didnt do my nuts on percy pal
Report Hibore March 15, 2019 11:35 PM GMT
Very quiet now. Nuts done.big time.

Not much to say after that. Ran right up to his rating..outclassed Laugh
Report Hibore March 15, 2019 11:36 PM GMT
Forgot you layed off after hurdle race.
Report irishone March 15, 2019 11:37 PM GMT
True best horse won , where did your tip finish ExcitedLaugh
Report a bitofinterest March 15, 2019 11:38 PM GMT
Laugh,not only did irish lay off at the lowest price possible

but with the huge profit he made he can afford to have surgery to remove those huge chips from his shoulders

and pat kellys such a genius he can perform the operation Laugh
Report Hibore March 15, 2019 11:42 PM GMT
irishone
irishone 14 Oct 18 19:17 Joined: 22 Sep 06 | Topic/replies: 40,832 | Blogger: irishone's blog
If you do a horse in the rsa and it pi55es in and before the jockey gets back to the winners enclosure he watches the replay on the big screen, says jees ten lengths , good job it werent good we would have won a furlong..... Think you can forgive him for any misjudgement in his moment of victory customcut!
Rate reply:

Out with the washing son. No idea
Report Hibore March 15, 2019 11:46 PM GMT
Lucky you had tens of thousands on Percy to lay off ( obviously before you claimed you were going to lay) to make laying a horse that was 6/1 at 9/2 to make a huge profit

You are a fraud and your talking horse was beat out of sight. As it should have been.
Report Hibore March 15, 2019 11:49 PM GMT
Kelly couldn’t get the cobalt in Percy perhaps ?
Report impossible123 March 16, 2019 12:19 AM GMT
Presenting Percy and Laurina two hyped horses were found out when ran against proper Grade 1 opposition - no excuse whatsoever. And, those weren't sure about Clan Des Obeaux (CDO) getting up the hill were also correct - his stamina limit was exposed.

The proximity of Anibale Fly and Bristol De Mai to the winner Al Boum Photo do not float my boat; CDO will still be the one for me in the King George unless Altior turns up.
Report buddeliea March 16, 2019 6:02 AM GMT
not much more to be said really,horse did the talkingLaughand thats how it should be.
The price was a joke all along and so was the horses prep for a Gold Cup.
Clueless trainer!!
Report irishone March 16, 2019 6:53 AM GMT
The best you have , your veteran winners, Native River, clan des obeaux , mite bite, BDM all beaten by a novice who in turn was beaten out of sight by PP in the RSA .

the best you have were beaten well and  found out by an IRISH  novice.....
Report foxy March 16, 2019 8:48 AM GMT
the best horse in the gold cup won the race regardless of the placed horses his time was very good he is unexposed and if staying sound will be at the top for a long time.
Report impossible123 March 16, 2019 9:56 AM GMT
The best horse on the day at that distance won the race - absolutely no doubt about that. I thought they missed a fence because of the injury to Invitation Only, did they not? Could that have contributed to a better recorded winning time? At Kempton and the King George it will be CDO for me, all things being equal.

But, I shall leave Presenting Percy to connections and his "discerning" followers unless he's running against Monalee over 3m (again), similarly Faugheen and Laurina.
Report foxy March 16, 2019 10:43 AM GMT
not sure about the missed out fence making much difference slight extra distance as opposed to jumping at speed,agree about laurina for me the biggest disapointment of the whole fixture,i know she finished in front of apples jade but we all know apples jade is much better than that run.
Report foxy March 16, 2019 10:49 AM GMT
impossible

i know you are a big fan of cdo and me abp but the first two in the rsa might sort them both out they are also very very good horses in the case of santini perhaps not at kempton.
Report impossible123 March 16, 2019 11:25 AM GMT
Over 3m I do like CDO a lot, and possibly Altior (a prep prior a must). In the King George against Lostintranslation/Topofthegame he'll get a tow which helps; Santini is one for the future Gold Cup; Angels breath (JLT); Klassical (Arkle); Lalor and Might Bite (CC); Might Bite and Defi (Ryanair); Buveur D'Air (CH); Paisley (Stayers).
Report penzance March 16, 2019 11:25 AM GMT
very dissapointing when Kemboy went
at the 1st,still think he is one of
the better 3 milers and will have
a big say later on.Also what a great
run from Bristol De Mai.
WD winners.
Report cyclops March 16, 2019 12:01 PM GMT
Native River exposed for the slowboat he is.
Report irishone March 16, 2019 12:05 PM GMT
makes me laugh all these speed figures , going stick measures, handicap ratings, all involve human judgements , most of which are regularly found to be totally wrong yet we still put these "judges" on pedestals.
Report foxy March 16, 2019 12:12 PM GMT
Bit harsh on native river cyclops you are talking about a horse who has won a gold cup and finished 4 th in a gold cup,whilst I never thought he could win unless it was to be a severe test I think he ran well .
Report impossible123 March 16, 2019 2:20 PM GMT
NR did look jaded; he was sluggish at Haydock similarly Kempton even though the track did not suit. For him not wanting/willing to run from the front is not the NR we all know. Maybe past frequent exertions have finally caught up with him.
Report irishone March 16, 2019 5:49 PM GMT
What you mean his preparation weren't right ?
Report johnslad March 16, 2019 9:11 PM GMT
Imp was last year's GC but you must own stayers hdle winner
Report irishone March 16, 2019 10:20 PM GMT
Pmsl Laugh
Report Hibore March 16, 2019 10:51 PM GMT
Can’t we put this thread to bed till next March when Percy runs in the Uttoxeter Grand National.

Should get in on about 10-5 after his rating is reduced.
Report duffy March 16, 2019 11:53 PM GMT
It's a bit silly to conclude that it was point proven with regards to PP efforts in the GC from the PP detractors IMO, it was quite clear that he was beat from the word go, the horse is a very fluent jumper but barely jumped a fence yesterday, and we now hear he was lame, we're a long way from writing him off at the top table.

As for his missed engagements and lack of match practice, it was interesting to see that the once raced this season Al Boum Photo won the race, all be it the "once" was over fences.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 17, 2019 1:53 AM GMT
PRESENTING PERCY and the ‘didn’t run in a Graded Chase last time out’ Gold Cup Stat… The last 21 Gold Cup winners ALL had their last start before winning the Gold Cup in a Graded Chase……and as we are all aware, Presenting Percy had his tune-up in a Hurdle race.

The record of those horses that DIDN’T run in a Graded Chase last time out is…
0/62 | 0% S/R | -£62.00 LSP – W&P 4/62 | 6% S/R
If you look a bit deeper you see that…
20 of the last 21 Gold Cup winners ran in a G1 or G2 Chase last time out
Those that did NOT run in a G1 or G2 chase LTO are a paltry 1/94
There is no getting away from the fact that Presenting Percy has had an ‘unusual’ preparation for his Gold Cup tilt, it’s there for us all to see and it’s an odd one, pure and simple.

The defence…
He’s won comfortably at the last two festivals and clearly loves the place, when it comes to ‘festival form’ it’s hard to knock him.

Conclusion…
He’s taken an extremely unconventional route to the Gold Cup and it’s hard to bring yourself to be backing a horse for Gold Cup glory when you’ve not seen it over fences in it’s first season out of the novice ranks, even more so when his competition have been scoofing up the regular Gold Cup ‘trials’ and 3m Grade 1’s. I won’t be ‘surprised’ should he win, he’s clearly a high class animal, but there’s going to be at least a couple that hold a stronger profile for the race and I’d be happier siding with them…
Report buddeliea March 17, 2019 7:25 AM GMT
tHis thread for my part was virtually always about his price antepost.
I thought it was too short and said so...a fair few times!!Laugh

As the season went on his prep started to get discussed,which considering his price, was fair enough.
Whatever way you look at it,that prep was not the norm for competing in your 1st Grade 1 chase at senior level since your novice season.

The price and his prep i imagine would cover most of the posts on this thread,the remaining were rubbish about Irish v the Brits if i remember correctly.

The end result is now murky,because of the lameness issue,so at this stage we dont really know if his prep had anything to do with his performance.
I dont know how serious the issue is,or when it occurred during the race.

So for me,until i know more.i will reserve the hindsight judgement.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 17, 2019 11:34 AM GMT
Roll on AINTREE & PUNCHESTOWN - Phillip needs some doe to pay the bills Devil
Report FOYLESWAR March 17, 2019 1:06 PM GMT
i think and alluded to it at the start of the season ........last seasons gruelling gold cup may well have  left a mark on the front 2 ........havent seen nothing this season to change my mind .
Report FOYLESWAR March 17, 2019 1:07 PM GMT
have seen nothing^^^^^
Report Autocue March 17, 2019 3:55 PM GMT
Pat Kelly's horse looks a world beater at Cheltenham two years running and your mystery man's called a genius, then we hear he's been fined for another horse testing positive for cobalt, then his horse looks ordinary. Interesting to see what Presenting Percy does next. At least he got back to his box, unlike Invitation Only whose death was horrible. He tried to get up but his back end wouldn't work then he went down like a log.
Report Hibore March 17, 2019 4:50 PM GMT
Rancid trainer. Bonkers how you can call him a genius unless Lance Armstrong is your role model.

Totally agree with you Auto regarding Invitation Only and also Sir Eric RIP.
Report impossible123 March 17, 2019 4:54 PM GMT
Presenting Percy is 16/1 for the Gold Cup if anyone is interested. But, my £64k question would be will he even turn up given his consistency in missing planned race engagement? If so, will he even be good enough? Notwithstanding one can be 100% certain his prep will be nothing like this season's ie non-existent.
Report irishone March 17, 2019 5:04 PM GMT
Hibore exposes himself again ….

Hibore 21 Jun 18 09:21  Kelly is very astute and Presenting Percy is a very exciting Novice
Hibore 17 Mar 19 16:50  Rancid trainer. Bonkers how you can call him a genius unless Lance Armstrong is your role model.
Report Hibore March 17, 2019 5:16 PM GMT
IRISH THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE DEFENDING KELLY OVER DRUGGING HORSES. IS THAT CORRECT ?

Pat Kelly fined after winner returned a positive test for cobalt
Galway native trained Warendorf to win a point to point at Belclare last March

Tue, Sep 25, 2018, 17:50 Updated: Tue, Sep 25, 2018, 18:01

Drugging horses can make you look astute. Lucky Matt Chapman pointed this out as the Irish don’t mention it.
Report Hibore March 17, 2019 5:19 PM GMT
Cobalt is a naturally occurring substance in horses but when administered in large quantities it is believed to increase red blood cells and improve metabolic efficiency similar to the blood doping agent EPO.
Evidence was heard at Tuesday’s Referrals Committee hearing from Dr Lynn Hillyer, the chief veterinary officer and head of anti-doping at the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board, as well as Professor Stuart Paine from the University of Nottingham.
Report Hibore March 17, 2019 5:39 PM GMT
I’m glad you have made your position on doping clear.

I’ll let the rest of the posters rip you to pieces.
Report irishone March 17, 2019 5:41 PM GMT
If you check back in the thread Hibore you will see that I was the first to mention "Cobalt" on  30th August 2018. Why would anyone defend that ?

Firstimevisor
27 Aug 18 17:45
Pat Kelly has a Turf Club hearing coming up,with potentially serious consequences hanging over him.

irishone
30 Aug 18 12:13

Hes got the 2019 gold cup winner and the 2019 grand national winner and they are going to do him for cobalt ? 

So again, get yer facts right before ye go to war !
Report irishone March 17, 2019 5:46 PM GMT
This all happened last SEPTEMBER by the way Hibore not last week as your post pretends .....

Pat Kelly fined after winner returned a positive test for cobalt
Galway native trained Warendorf to win a point to point at Belclare last March
Tue, Sep 25, 2018, 17:50 Updated: Tue, Sep 25, 2018, 18:01
Brian O'Connor

The Cheltenham festival winning trainer Pat Kelly has expressed disappointment with the outcome of a Referrals Committee hearing which saw him fined €1,000 after a point to point winner returned a positive test for cobalt.
Craughwell, Co. Galway based Kelly - who trains the current favourite for next year’s Cheltenham Gold Cup, Presenting Percy - trained Warendorf to win a point to point at Belclare last March.
On Tuesday a Referrals Committee hearing panel chaired by Justice Tony Hunt concluded that Warendorf’s sample contained cobalt above the international threshold and disqualified the horse.
Warendorf is the 13th winner, either on the track or in point to points, to be disqualified in Ireland this year following a testing positive for a prohibited substance.
Last week five winners were disqualified after testing positive for a variety of substances.
They included Camlann who tested positive for cobalt after winning at the Galway festival. His trainer, John ‘Shark’ Hanlon received an 18 month suspended sentence.
Cobalt is a naturally occurring substance in horses but when administered in large quantities it is believed to increase red blood cells and improve metabolic efficiency similar to the blood doping agent EPO.
Evidence was heard at Tuesday’s Referrals Committee hearing from Dr Lynn Hillyer, the chief veterinary officer and head of anti-doping at the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board, as well as Professor Stuart Paine from the University of Nottingham.
Kelly gave evidence as did a Dr Vivian Gath from University College Dublin who gave evidence on his behalf.
The panel concluded Kelly was in breach of Rule 96(a) and noted that “two competing hypotheses had been presented by the parties.” They were satisfied though that the IHRB evidence was “sufficiently strong and scientifically based to be relied on.”
A statement added they accepted that the most probable explanation was the that horse was exposed to cobalt “proximate to race.”

The panel said the trainer was generally responsible under Rule 148 for all matters relating to the welfare, training and running of horses.
But “given certain unusual and specific aspects of the case they accepted Mr Kelly’s assurance that he had not administered anything to the horse.”
They nevertheless fined Kelly €1,000 as reasonable precautions had not been taken by him to ensure the breach didn’t occur. €3,000 costs were awarded to the IHRB.
Afterwards Kelly said: “I’m not very happy with the outcome and the process. I thought the whole case from start to finish would be held and it wasn’t. It was only really about the cobalt that the horse had in his system. How it got there I don’t know.”
He added: “Being truthfully honest about the case all the way, I didn’t think I was treated very fair. There’s a lot of things I’m not happy about. It has cost me a lot of money to fight a €100 win in a point to point, paying solicitors and barristers and experts and everything.”
Cobalt is a prohibited substance when present in concentrations above the international threshold for plasma of 25ng/ml.
Warendorf’s ‘A’ sample which was tested at the LGC laboratory in England returned a concentration of 38.8ng/ml. At Kelly’s request the ‘B’ sample was also tested and a laboratory in France returned a concentration of 38.3ng/ml.
Report Hibore March 17, 2019 5:51 PM GMT
Is that meant to be your anti-doping post ?

Why are you defending him so staunchly. Facts are facts and some people hate trainers who try to cheat.
Report irishone March 17, 2019 6:01 PM GMT
One question for you hibore ……..

Do you think a trainer you yourself previously labelled  "VERY ASTUTE"  would give a horse cobalt to win a point to point value one hundred pounds ?
Report irishone March 17, 2019 6:19 PM GMT
And lastly just to make sure you can tell I am defending him 100%

PG KELLY HAS NEVER BEEN DONE FOR DOPING HORSES

“Given sure uncommon and particular facets of the case, they [the committee] accepted Mr Kelly’s assurance that he had not administered something to the horse. They didn’t discover adequate proof to droop the allow within the submissions earlier than them.” The €1,000 positive was essential, in line with the decision, as a result of “affordable precautions had not been taken by the handler to make sure that a breach didn’t happen”

EVERY HORSE IN THE YARD HAD LOW LEVELS OF COBALT
Report Hibore March 17, 2019 6:24 PM GMT
Anti-doping chief insists Kelly was not absolved of blame over cobalt finding.

Just didn’t have a smoking gun....
Report irishone March 17, 2019 7:16 PM GMT
Laugh

yeah ...probably because in your words he was "VERY ASTUTE"
Report impossible123 March 17, 2019 7:16 PM GMT
So the "considered" rumour about his missing planned engagement "could be" due to well-being by Geraghty on a Harvey's programme, and the comment by his owner ie let's hope he'd stay sound in the next fortnight post a gallop/work with Mall Dini and picked up by Lydia Hislop was pretty accurate as the horse was found to be lame in his right-hind post the Gold Cup.

Nevertheless, 16/1 could still tempt the naive and die-hard PP supporters next season; a double with Laurina (25/1 for the Champion Hurdle) could be life-changing if materialising.
Report irishone March 17, 2019 7:24 PM GMT
The horse galloped around galway three times in the period leading up to the GC , he took several fences and came back sound. The owner was very well informed of everything. The booster was the reason for no show in the red mills , horse didnt take it well. Not an excuse ...FACT
Report lapsy pa March 17, 2019 9:58 PM GMT
I "think" i know from your posts Irishone you are genuine and even still most certainly know enough about racing.

Think people are trying to score points with the average run of PP,the odds were always in their favour,excuses were there re not quite fluent and slipped saddle,it wasn't a disgrace and surely deserves at least one go at benefit of doubt imo. A way above average GC.
Report impossible123 March 17, 2019 10:58 PM GMT
The thing is if PP had been having niggling issues about his well-being as was with Faugheen and Penhill to name two then, I believe, the racing community esp punters need to know; there had been "rumours" for his missing planned engagements other than ground which were subsequently hinted and subtly corroborated by his owner - he did finished lame in the Gold Cup. It might not be related but it sure gave credence though.

And today, it's been reported he could even miss the remainder of the season,...aggravation of an old recurring injury perhaps.
Report irishone March 18, 2019 1:10 AM GMT
Impossible you are one dopey tw4t. You need to live with a thoughbred for a week . First thing you will notice isv
Report irishone March 18, 2019 1:15 AM GMT
They are nervous wrecks. Second thing is every other day they wake up with a niggle. Getting them to a race course on a certain time on a certain date without a niggle is pure genius. You have no clue about thoroughbreds , if you started reporting niggles you would soon get over whelmed and bored. These guys are touch and go, younever know where you stand.
Report Hibore March 22, 2019 9:50 PM GMT
Percy 16/1 for next year’s GC must be a mistake ? Surely the best horse ever ....trained by the best trainer....and best syringe in Ireland is a steal.

Irish and Johns must be all over this looking to get another £300k bet on to lay off at 14/1 for a massive “green” again.
Report irishone March 22, 2019 10:14 PM GMT
Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com