Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
foxy
08 Mar 18 12:40
| Topic/replies: 12,507 | Blogger: foxy's blog
Just watched the 1980 Arkle an amazing mare even more amazing she called in at Chepstow 4 days later and was around evens to pick up another prize before boarding the boat.

Annie power
Qevega
Apples jade
Dawn run
Anaglogs daughter

Who was the best mare to run at the festival
Pause Switch to Standard View Anaglogs daughter racing post blog
Show More
Report firstimevisor March 8, 2018 1:37 PM GMT
No contest. Dawn Run by a stone
Report foxy March 8, 2018 2:17 PM GMT
I doubt on champion hurdle form she would have given Annie power a stone.
Report firstimevisor March 8, 2018 2:20 PM GMT
On Gold Cup form she'd have given her 2 stone!
Report foxy March 8, 2018 2:25 PM GMT
Ok
Report Autocue March 8, 2018 3:52 PM GMT
Great to read about Anaglogs Daughter again. She cut her foot while exercising on the course two days before the 1981 Queen Mother. I'm sure she'd have hosed up otherwise but she still managed second. Timeform said it was a mistake to run her. She was due to run in the Gold Cup if she'd won the Queen Mother. They didn't mollycoddle them back then. I've got a horrible feeling she didn't perform at the same level after that questionable Queen Mother run but I can't find her career form. The best horses have their own wiki page and it would be great to see one set up for this courageous mare.
At two miles I don't see any of the above catching her (all at their best) but Dawn Run was a stronger stayer.
Report firstimevisor March 8, 2018 4:06 PM GMT
Anaglogs was a cracking mare all right. I'm convinced though that Dawn Run was the best mare I've seen by some way. I would rate her the best over any distance, hurdles or fences. After winning the Gold Cup she dropped back to 2 miles at Punchestown and beat the 2m Champion Chase winner that year, Buck House, at level weights.
Report The Sawyer March 8, 2018 4:47 PM GMT
On the Saturday after she won the Arkle she ran at Chepstow by Ferdy Murphy - all other available jocks had injured themselves!!!

There used to be a painting in the old O&T bar at Chepstow with AD winning the race partnered by "Freddy" Murphy - up the Welsh
Report Autocue March 8, 2018 5:22 PM GMT
That's as good as Edna Bolger Grin
Report Fistfulofdollars March 8, 2018 5:34 PM GMT
Remember anaglogs daughter running loose in the 1980 King George..sprinting past Tied Cottage and flying the first to make the running and being beaten only by the great Silver Buck (notwithstanding  a last fence fall by Night Nurse)..was a joy to watch her.
Report buddeliea March 8, 2018 6:03 PM GMT
AD was one of my 1st great favourites.just loved watching her play catch me if you can,great memories.
Report foxy March 9, 2018 8:30 AM GMT
one of my 1st great favourites  also bud 1980 was my first festival therefor she would have been the 2nd horse i saw win there.
Report Autocue March 9, 2018 9:42 PM GMT
A guy with the user name Eddy Cr has put on youtube extended footage of BBC Cheltenham coverage for loads of races from that era. I'm enjoying working my way through them. Great days indeed.
Report foxy March 10, 2018 7:48 AM GMT
not nit picking aec but it was pretty quiet when annie power hit the deck.of subject but totally agree about how lax people were about drinking and driving back then.
Report foxy March 10, 2018 7:49 AM GMT
nothing wrong in been a gooner windsor about the only thing keane and fergie agree with in there books is what a class outfit arsenal is throughout the club.
Report foxy March 10, 2018 8:30 AM GMT
wrong threadBlush
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com