Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Shrews
23 Feb 18 21:26
| Topic/replies: 288 | Blogger: Shrews's blog
So the two guides are now on sale. Going by past history, what is best and why?

I wouldn't mind a read this year and I'm thinking of investing. I'm not too fussed about the likes of Altior as I think we know all about the principals, but what publication is best for identifying the possible handicap winners?

I see that with the RP there is the option to have an additional Weekender supplement for an extra few quid. What's that like?

Or should I just keep the cash in my pocket?  Shocked
Pause Switch to Standard View Festival Guides: Weatherbys vs Racing...
Show More
Report Ramruma February 24, 2018 7:27 PM GMT
The postman delivered both this morning and the print is still annoyingly small.

There is a third guide that you should consider -- The 2018 Cheltenham Festival Stallion Guide -- to look at races from a completely different angle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2018-Cheltenham-Festival-Stallion-Guide/dp/0993520723
Report ACStafford February 24, 2018 11:51 PM GMT
I like the Weekender preview. The recent form for all the runners is easy at hand and helps me whittle down the fields without having to stare at a screen. I've bought the Racing Post guide before and can't say it really does much for me.
Report Cash Is King February 25, 2018 9:18 AM GMT
I've found in the past that the RP guide offers very little and the statistical ground it does try and cover is covered much better in the Weatherbys guide.

When it comes to unearthing a Festival winner there are more angles than an n-sided polygon that you need to cover. The Weatherbys guide is useful in narrowing down the longlist but, as is the case with all stats based guides, statbusters win with annoying frequency so it should not be followed with blind fervour.

The Weatherbys guide was delivered on Friday and as much as anything else, it's arrival heralds an important landmark in the build up to Cheltenham week.
Report Deptford February 25, 2018 2:32 PM GMT
You dont need a guide, this will help, Gold Present, Tully East, Redicean, Native River, Santini, Didtheyleave, Elegant Escape ( not RSA ) Supasun or Yanworth, thank you and good bye!!
Report Desmond Orchard March 6, 2018 9:29 AM GMT
My copy of ‘The Festival’ arrived yesterday. Mainly adverts, but a long interview with Hendo, in which he gives nothing away.
Except to say that again he seems quite downbeat about Buvuer D’air - apparently his feet aren’t the best and so he can’t be worked on the artificial surface, only turf. Makes you wonder whether he has been working as planned this last week. I was already a small layer at odds on anyway, but decided to take a little more. Finding one to back is the harder job.......
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com